Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Dan Snyder -- Is he a good owner or a bad owner?

Art

No, once again, you've missed the whole point of this exchange. It's not whether Snyder is a better owner than others, but it's whether he's become a responsible owner. You've somehow conflated both of these disparate concepts and melded them into a point that's not at issue here, at least not with me. My issue is whether Sndyer has progressed in his tenure as owner and, more specifically, whether he's become a responsible owner. IMHO, Snyder has by exercising prudence and reasonableness in delegating decisions to Joe Gibbs and other football people in the organization. That ends the discussion for me right there. Snyder's done his job.

Then we go to the other issue of results. The early returns weren't good, but they were, as just noted, early. I'll be waiting to see how things shake out. If the results still remain the same, then it's on Snyder to take charge and make changes, all in his part of being a responsible owner of our beloved franchise.

Oh. Well maybe I shouldn't have jumped down your throat after you made a post that wasn't even directed at me. Oh, wait a minute, that was YOU.

Likewise, Matty, I am stunned at the lengths people will go to pan Snyder, even when facts are against them. Suggesting it was a bad move to hire the one coach every GM and Owner in football would have killed for is just plain crazy. It's not wearing blinders to realize how silly that seems to read. The one GM most of us as fans pine for is Ron Wolfe. He'd have hired Spurrier. Everyone would have.

Suggesting Snyder's spending to turn the No. 30 defense in football into the No. 4 defense was bad, is ludicrous. It was an unquestioned success. And, that team started out at 6-2. Only thorugh injury and offensive failure did the team struggle after a strong start against the toughest part of the schedule. It happens, yet, we pretend this was a failure on Snyder's part. The ONLY part that WORKED that year was what Snyder did to improve the defense.

Indicating you are upset you had to pay $10 to go to camp close to home when you could have paid $100 to go to it in Frostburg just seems like you're not really connecting with the benefit granted us and not factoring in the will of the county that year to keep traffic down to some degree.

Where there's been failure, it seems, we seek not to place it where it belongs. I'm not sure why some limited number of Redskin fans have that aspect of their views, but, it never ceases to amaze me to witness it.

So how should we explain away Jeff George? We had Brad Johnson coming off an outstanding '99 season and instead of rewarding him with a new contract we bring in notorious coach killer Jeff George. Brilliant.

How about Deion? Another brilliant move, force out Brian Mitchell and bring in public enemy #1, prime time.

Again, my bottom line is the win-loss column, and that's tipped in the favor of the L column since he's taken over. So for me it's hard to say he's done a good job when we're not winning games, simple as that.

I'm not saying he's a horrible owner, and I certainly don't go out of my way to bash him. But to ignore his major gaffe's and to not understand how he's alienated plenty of fans is just plain ignorant.

While the 2000 spending spree might have produced some results stat-wise, it resulted in an 8-8 season and seriously messed up the team chemistry that was established in 1999. That '99 team just needed some minor tweaks and it should have largely been left alone to develop, it didn't need the major overhaul of aging NFL superstars who's better days were clearly behind them.

Charging for camp just left a bad taste in alot of people's mouths. Regardless of the intentions, that's the bottom line.

The reason I didn't like the Spurrier move is that it meant firing a coach who had this team on a positive swing after a shakey start. He made a smart move by hiring marty. The personel fit his coaching style very well. Very easily could have been a playoff team in 2003 if Marty had stayed.

Everyone is entitled to mistakes, Snyder has definately made his share. Until he actually gets this team back to the playoffs under his ownership, he'll take alot of the blame and rightfully so.

Matty,

No team chemistry was effected in 2000. We started 6-2 against the toughest competition we faced that year. You can't mean suddenly, after a great start, we lost all chemistry. We got injured and guys who had career years couldn't continue at that pace on offense and we fell back. It had NOTHING to do with chemistry. And, since you KNOW we started 6-2 against the toughest part of the schedule you have to stop citing chemistry worries as a 2000 failure. It wasn't. The facts oppose your position.

You ask about Jeff George. Here's another example of a fantastic football move. George had a great season in 1999. Johnson was coming off a career year. We were a team with Super Bowl aspirations concerned about failing if Johnson got hurt. Johnson was also coming up to the end of his contract. George was a cheap signing at just $2 million in bonus money and league minimum salary in 2000.

Remember, it was Marty who gave George big guaranteed money, then proceeded to cut him.

Somehow we're the only fans in the league who DON'T want a competent backup. I just don't get it. Brad Johnson was not mentally strong enough to accept the competition. That was clear. But, it's NEVER a bad move to add quality to this position and with George coming off a year where he had a 94 QB rating, we added quality support for Johnson cheap.

Only in D.C. is this considered a negative. It's almost pathological.

I didn't vote because none of the choices were exactly what I think.

But in summary, I think Snyder is a fans dream as an owner because he's willing to spend any amount and do what ever it takes to win.

However, that is also a negative because to an extent, IMO, the constant changes are what have hurt the team, there is no continuity, and as the Pats have shown, sometimes, the biggest names aren't always the best.

Art,

I'm a firm believer that the proof is in the pudding.

You can speculate all day about other teams or GMs making the same moves if they were in Snyder's shoes. But the bottom line is that it would have been a mistake regardless, and the blame rests with Snyder because the decision was his. George was a mistake, Dieon was a mistake, Spurrier was a mistake... there have been plenty of mistakes. Doesn't matter that they were done with the best of intentions... a mistake is a mistake.

I guess Snyder can do no wrong in your opinion, Art. I'd like to hear what you think he has done wrong in his time here, if things like George and playing fantasy football with the roster were fantastic moves in your opinion.

Not secured a franchise QB. i.e. Eagles/Patriots.

But since that is a 100% luck / crapshoot... I would say nothing.

Until we get that position settled, expect more of the same in Washington.

But don't blame DS for us not lucking into a franchise QB... blame fate/karma/etc. All you should ask of your owner is to keep trying... which he has.

Art,

I'm a firm believer that the proof is in the pudding.

You can speculate all day about other teams or GMs making the same moves if they were in Snyder's shoes. But the bottom line is that it would have been a mistake regardless, and the blame rests with Snyder because the decision was his. George was a mistake, Dieon was a mistake, Spurrier was a mistake... there have been plenty of mistakes. Doesn't matter that they were done with the best of intentions... a mistake is a mistake.

none of these would have been mistakes if we had been lucky enough to have a franchise QB fall into our lap.

Mark my words. Write them down. Pay particular attention to what happens to the Iggles/Pats when McNabb/Brady retire. All of these 'brilliant' :rolleyes: front office moves will all of a sudden appear to be acts made by bumbling of fools.

Imagine Philly's handling of the TO controversy... or NE's handling of Ty Law... if they had no Brady/McNabb to carry their teams.

Green Bay has looked like a competent organization for years... simply because they've had Brett Favre on their roster. When in fact, they are one of the worst-managed teams in football. Watch what happens when Favre moves on... they will be the laughing stock of the NFL. Same goes for Philly and NE... the sun shines on a dog's ass some days... and cheap FO's will luck into a franchise QB, start winning, and fools such as WB36 will claim that it was all planned :rolleyes:

Seriously... don't blame Snyder for trying. Blame him for not being lucky at the QB spot.

I guess Snyder can do no wrong in your opinion, Art. I'd like to hear what you think he has done wrong in his time here, if things like George and playing fantasy football with the roster were fantastic moves in your opinion.

I think he made the wrong choice with regard to who to let go in the Norv, Casserly contest, but his hands were largely tied as we all know given the timing. His biggest error, of course, was allowing Marty to act beyond his contract. He gave Marty the freedom to do things he had no authority to do from a contractual standpoint. Like letting Cerrato go and some of the strange personnel moves with Centers and not spending his budgeted money in ways to allow us to be more competitive. But, here he has a fine line between being intrusive or not and he chose not.

He rightly asked Marty to abide by the terms of his contract in the personnel department and to improve the offensive system with better coaching but was rejected, which led to Marty's termination. I thought Snyder was wrong to simply announce Spurrier was coming back, period, no matter what. He had no choice given the quick hooks he'd had, and he had to be gun shy to make the necessary moves here given the history, but, that was reacting to the premise that it's wrong to make correct moves.

He's frequently done that as the owner in my view.

Obviously improving the team in 2000 as he did and acquiring an elite backup QB as he did that year are not areas he should be seen as having done poorly. I do realize many of his "bad" moves were forced upon him due to circumstances, but, would liked to have seen him do some things differently despite the circumstances.

As an owner...I really like him. However, I wish he didn't try to rake the fans over the coals all the time.

I would like to see some lower prices all around. $7 beers, $79 seats and $25 parking is all too pricey for the common fan. THAT is why so many tickets fall into the hands of opposing teams fans. If I lived in another city, and by beloved Skins came to town...I would pay whatever it took to see them since I would be attending that one single game all year long. That is what's happening at Fed-Ex.

2 lower bowl seats: $158

parking pass: $25

4 beers (2 each...and that's low-balling it): $28

Food: ~!$15

That's already sitting at...6....3....carry the 2....ummm.....hold on....

(Start>Programs>Accessories>Calculator)

That's already sitting at $226 PER GAME! Sorry Dan, but I'm a HAY-YOOOGE Skins fan since birth and I can't do that. I've got a mortgage to pay.

However, that being said, I do think that he takes the revenue and really tries to put it toward the team in attempts to make it better. He believes that what he is doing is right...and God bless him for that. He's a fan and now he's an owner...and he cares about the team.

I just wish he would get a dedicated GM. I know, I know...Cerrato fans will get on me for this and that's fine...but I really like a team's setup when it incorperates a dedicated GM.

In the end...I like Snyder. His passion is superb. I just dream of the day that being a fan in person isn't such a drain on my wallet (and we have a GM).

Business wise hes a great owner. He makes money and does a fantastic job at selling his products.

Football-he is okay. He made mistakes but is learning from it which is good.

Fan friendliness/affordablility-below average. Tickets prices are outragous, but people will buy so he does not have to lower them. Parking is ridiculous too, but thats just how it is

I have been very critial of Synder in the past. All of my friends know my view on him. Now, he doesn't ruin everything he touches (or else he wouldn't have been able to buy this team) but he is underhanded and really doesn't give two craps about the fans. This can be seen in his continuing efforts to make money on something stupid (i.e. charging for camp, that mastercard thing). He truly wants to win badly, but his bottom line is the gold in his eyes I think. If he would just sit back and let somebody run football ops while he took care of the business side of it all, which he does better then any other owner in the NFL. Danny needs to understand that he can't do everything in the organization. ONce he realizes that, he could very well be the best owner in the NFL.

Obviously improving the team in 2000 as he did and acquiring an elite backup QB as he did that year are not areas he should be seen as having done poorly. I do realize many of his "bad" moves were forced upon him due to circumstances, but, would liked to have seen him do some things differently despite the circumstances.

What in God's name are you talking about. Jeff George, an Elite QB. A good backup sure, but the guy is a cancer. Just look at his stats and then look at the fact that nobody wanted to keep him. I do blame Danny for that move soley as well as the Deon move. Both of those moves were bad and I said that as soon as we made them. They both undermined our starring QB who was coming off a great year and the fans (no true skins fan ever wanted deon). As for the other signings of 2000, I can't blame him. He (jsut like everybody else) thought this team was just a piece or two away from the super bowl so he went out and got what he though we needed. I would have made most of the moves to had I been in power.

What in God's name are you talking about. Jeff George, an Elite QB. A good backup sure, but the guy is a cancer. Just look at his stats and then look at the fact that nobody wanted to keep him. I do blame Danny for that move soley as well as the Deon move. Both of those moves were bad and I said that as soon as we made them. They both undermined our starring QB who was coming off a great year and the fans (no true skins fan ever wanted deon). As for the other signings of 2000, I can't blame him. He (jsut like everybody else) thought this team was just a piece or two away from the super bowl so he went out and got what he though we needed. I would have made most of the moves to had I been in power.

If you wish to ask me what I'm talking about, would it be too much to ask you to use the words I said when asking, and, perhaps even to read them and have your questions answered even before you can formulate them. I didn't say Jeff George was an Elite QB -- though he certainly played at an elite level in 1999. I said he was an elite backup QB. Notice the subtle distinction allowed by the English language when actually using all words spoken rather than taking the word in between the two others you didn't like?

You say he's a good backup. How come when you say backup it counts but when I do it does not? As George was a good backup in your words -- an elite backup as defined by his level of play -- is it somewhat difficult for you to say the words that you blame Snyder for signing a good backup?

If you wish to ask me what I'm talking about, would it be too much to ask you to use the words I said when asking, and, perhaps even to read them and have your questions answered even before you can formulate them. I didn't say Jeff George was an Elite QB -- though he certainly played at an elite level in 1999. I said he was an elite backup QB. Notice the subtle distinction allowed by the English language when actually using all words spoken rather than taking the word in between the two others you didn't like?

You say he's a good backup. How come when you say backup it counts but when I do it does not? As George was a good backup in your words -- an elite backup as defined by his level of play -- is it somewhat difficult for you to say the words that you blame Snyder for signing a good backup?

I apologize for being selective in quoting you, but your quote was right above my statement (and questoin), so they could be read.

I apologize for being selective in quoting you, but your quote was right above my statement (and questoin), so they could be read.

Thanks for the apology on that, but while it's true the quote was there not only when I wrote it but when you quoted from it, the fact that others may recognize the whole context and wonder why you asked a question that didn't exist from the context doesn't mean YOU actually read the context given you asked a question that didn't exist given the context :).

For my point of view, I will say as I've said before, there is no owner in any sport who is as good as Dan Snyder. George Steinbrenner would be close, but his need to be the overriding force in New York is what limits him.

Snyder, while involved, remains willing to defer decisions to his people. He spends money lavishly on the team, both in signing players and trying to help us improve while spending money to improve the experience for fans at the stadium.

This is not to say he's been perfect, as he's not been.

He does appear to be the sort of owner who sets expectations and follows through in wanting them met. This can create a tense environment at Redskins Park for individuals who do not thrive under that sort of pressure.

The team has not achieved a level of continuity under Snyder, for which he is at least partially to blame. But even this large criticism of Snyder isn't so clearly all his in the blame department. Unlike ownership in other areas -- even of successful teams -- Snyder doesn't horde money and avoid adding a piece clearly needed.

He makes moves his people and his eyes tell him must be made and he does so in a way few can match. I'm sure I'll be called upon to defend him further, but for now, I'll stop :).

As usual, Art nailed it.

IMHO, Snyder is a 'Skins fan who fell in love with them while going to games with his daddy. He now OWNS his favorite team. He loves the 'Skins and has promoted them into/as the highest money maker in the NFL. He is a young man. I'm sure he will not give up until he has many more SB trophy's in the Redskins trophy showcase @ Redskins land :cheers: :cool:

As usual, Art nailed it.

IMHO, Snyder is a 'Skins fan who fell in love with them while going to games with his daddy. He now OWNS his favorite team. He loves the 'Skins and has promoted them into/as the highest money maker in the NFL. He is a young man. I'm sure he will not give up until he has many more SB trophy's in the Redskins trophy showcase @ Redskins land :cheers: :cool:

But what has he doen for the Skins since he has taken ownership??? IMO he hasnt done anything except waste money and get in the way until recently under The Master Coach Gibbs. Danny has alot to prove, as far as I am concerned being the most profitabloe franchise doesnt mean donkey doo doo as a fan. I mean do you really care to discuss profitablitlity of teams instead of wins vs losses? If profitability is the most important thing he can do as a owner we should start a NBL.

The National Business League where we can do fantasy drafts and sign the CEO's, CFO's , Presidents and Owners while cheering for our favorite business to be the most profitable. We could keep score by gains and losses mergers and acquisitions. For some reason profitablity is important to some Redskins fans, instead of winning and losing. Danny Boy hasnt given us wins but losses, quite frankly until recent he has given me a headache.

Yes, that does speak for itself. It speaks to the failure in coaching by our coaching staffs. We all know this.

The consistency of our coaching staffs and thier unwillingness to work with Danny Boy and take his orders has been one of the major reasons why we have failed as a team on the field. I do agree things have changed, im not convinced that Joe Gibbs is the be all end all to Danny Boy staying otu of the coaching staffs way. I guess we will have to wait a few years and see how he works with other coaches.

Archived