Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs Gibbs Gibbs Gibbs

Mania

I'm signing in.

We are much improved from last season, even if the record hasn't shown it. Does anyone rememeber the following games from last season?:

Bills Debacle

Cowboys Debacle I

Cowboys Debacle II

Eagles Debacle II (last game of season)

We haven't had anything like that this season. Even our worst scoreboard loss to the Eagles was a close game.

We need to turn the corner on offense, but we're on the upswing...

The Redskins were adrift and about to be smashed on the rocks.

A new inexperienced, impetuous owner, revolving door coaching, Casserly gone, Vinny in, what a mess the once mighty Redskins had become.

Coach Gibbs came along, grabbed the helm, surrounded himself with some great NFL football minds then not only did he get the ship turned around, but he won some games.

Make no mistake. Coach Gibbs has done a fantastic job his first year back.

Is he perfect? No, but who is?

Originally posted by mookie0720

I get sick and tired of hearing people say that criticizing Gibbs is wrong because he's a HOF coach. He's a HOF coach for what he did in the 80's and 91 not for what he's done now. He was out of the game for 12 years and has shown he deserves to be questioned as much as anyone else (admittedly so)

Good post

Last year Spurrier lost 7 games by a TOTAL of 23 points - 7 games lost by 7 points or less. And your point is what exactly?

Superior coaching was supposed to help win close games. I'd say just comparing this year to last year, Gibbs coaching was worse than Spurrier. Read the WP article today on the facts and figures bearing that out (probably more penalty yardage and less yards per rush/pass). Gibbs may get one more win, but he had an incredible defense that Spurrier didn't, and a supposed weaker schedule and may only win one more game.

I don't see much improvement there. It is NOT starting to show already. If anything the loss against Dallas is a step back. If we can't even beat them we really stink. At least Spurrier beat them once.

I'm all for Gibbs, but he needs a lot of work in the offseason retooling his offense to work in today's game because what he's shown so far is not going to cut it. Don't try to sugar coat it. If Gibbs runs the offense the same way next year, we aren't going to be any better.

Originally posted by GatorEye

Last year Spurrier lost 7 games by a TOTAL of 23 points - 7 games lost by 7 points or less. And your point is what exactly?

Superior coaching was supposed to help win close games. I'd say just comparing this year to last year, Gibbs coaching was worse than Spurrier. Read the WP article today on the facts and figures bearing that out (probably more penalty yardage and less yards per rush/pass). Gibbs may get one more win, but he had an incredible defense that Spurrier didn't, and a supposed weaker schedule and may only win one more game.

I don't see much improvement there. It is NOT starting to show already. If anything the loss against Dallas is a step back. If we can't even beat them we really stink. At least Spurrier beat them once.

I'm all for Gibbs, but he needs a lot of work in the offseason retooling his offense to work in today's game because what he's shown so far is not going to cut it. Don't try to sugar coat it. If Gibbs runs the offense the same way next year, we aren't going to be any better.

What was Spurrier's first year stats like?

Losing to Dallas was not a step back. There were some positives in that game. I, personally, believe that we are cursed when it comes to the Cowpukes. Why, I don't know. Over the past several years, we have seen fumbles that were almost NOT fumbles in the closing minutes of a game that helped Dallas score & win, we've seen penalties & NONpenalties, & we've seen ONE PLAY beat us. Why, oh why does the ball not bounce our way THAT TIME? But, losing to Dallas was not a step back. Only in the W/L column.

Unfortunately, that is the only stat that really matters.

Not to me.

In a season of change and transition as drastic as this one, on the heels of the kind of pitiable run this team has had for the last decade, I care far less about the final record than I do having a sense that the organization is, at long last, back on solid footing with competent football leadership calling the shots.

Originally posted by Satan :laugh:

I'm all for Gibbs, but he needs a lot of work in the offseason retooling his offense to work in today's game because what he's shown so far is not going to cut it. Don't try to sugar coat it. If Gibbs runs the offense the same way next year, we aren't going to be any better

YOU SHOULD BE BURNED AT THE STAKE, YOU EVIL MAN!!! :laugh:

Seriously, there's one person that isn't open to criticizing, and that "person" is God. Newsflash people. Joe Gibbs ain't Him!! :laugh:

I'm sure Joe will turn it around, because he is a good coach. Scratch that, GREAT coach. But he still had an overall sucky year. So BOOO-HOOO-HOOOO, I said something bad about Joe Gibbs. He is our favorite team's coach people, THAT'S IT. :doh:

I don't think anyone here, old or young, has an issue with honest criticism of Gibbs (except maybe Bubba :D). Gibbs himself does not have an issue it as long as it is honest.

I think what we old folks who lived through the glory years have an issue with is the "Gibbs sucks", "Gibbs has to go", "The game has passed him by" statements and the feeling that since he did not make the playoffs this year or the Super Bowl this year that he needs to make drastic changes. Hey, we have done the drastic change thing here for a decade folks and it does not work.

Let's look at Philly for a second. They hired Andy Reid in 99 and he went 5-11. Do you think he made drastic changes the next year to go 11-5? I don't. I think he got a few more players that where his type of players and gave his guys another year in the system he believed in. Look at his record since. I would take 5 consecutive years of playoffs in Washington, wouldn't you?

If Philly could sit still for a year for Reid to get it all in place when they did even know who he was before he was hired, why can't supposed Redskins fans sit still for a year for the greatest HC in our team's history?

That is what we old folks are saying...

Superior coaching was supposed to help win close games. I'd say just comparing this year to last year, Gibbs coaching was worse than Spurrier.

Thats nice but didnt we lose 11 games last year?

So we lost 7 games by a total of 23 points. WHOOHOO!

Your right BUT we lost the other 4 by a total of 97 points.

The only loss this season even close was the 28-6 loss to the Eagles and I think everyone here knows we were in that game into the 4th Quarter.

BTW, Superior coaching will put you un close games, of which we have had 15 of this season, but the players have to make the plays too. I mean, if Portis doesnt fumble against Cleveland we win. If Brunell doesnt fumble against Baltimore we probably pitch a shutout. If Betts/OL can run the ball in the 4th for a first down (like every winning Gibbs coached team in the past could do) against Dallas we win that one too. If we dont commit 7 turnovers against the Giants we win. The Refs cost us the Dallas and GB games and maybe even the second Philly game. We could have had a pretty good season and I didnt even start with all the stupid offsides/false start pentalties.

Gibbs will help turn those close games into wins but the players have to do it. At least every game is a close one unlike with Spurrier whose games turned into one sided blowouts at the end of the season because the other teams were progressing and ours wasnt.

Originally posted by Om

Not to me.

In a season of change and transition as drastic as this one, on the heels of the kind of pitiable run this team has had for the last decade, I care far less about the final record than I do having a sense that the organization is, at long last, back on solid footing with competent football leadership calling the shots.

I agree with you completly and I finally have a really good sense that this team has a lot of very good core players that are true Gibbs type Redskins. This team is alot better than most people realize and have the possiblity to go 11-5 next year.

Originally posted by SkinsFanMania

I'm sick and tired of all the fans posting negative comments on the Redskins and what we need to do in FA. All these negative comments about Joe Gibb's are very trying.

Gibb's is a HOF coach and will turn this team around. It is starting to show already. I know it is difficult to see during a loss, especially a last minute loss to the Cowboys.

Look at all the games we have been in the past year. Their were only two games that we lost by more than a touchdown. The Green Bay game 28-14 and the Philly game 28-6. I really feel we would've one the Green Bay game had the refs been wearing their glasses. When they took the touchdown away from us that was draining and it showed in Green Bay's last drive for the touchdown.

Game 1

We win against the Buccaneers 16-10 and we are all excited and talking playoffs.

Game 2

We lose to the Giants with 7 turnovers, but we only lose 20-14 in a game we should've one handily.

Game 3

We lose to the Dallas Cowboys 21-18 in a game that was taken away from us by the referees.

Game 4

We lose to the Cleveland Browns in a game because of a late fumble. 17-13

Game 5

Loss to the Ravens after having a 10 point lead. Turnovers cost us this game.

Game 6

13-10 Win over the bears heading into the bye week that probably gave Brunell some life.

Game 7

The dreaded loss to the Ref's during the Packer game. 28-14.

Game 8

17-10 win over the Detoit Lion. We find out that Portis has an arm and Coles can score a TD.

Game 9

17-10 Loss to the Bengals. The best loss of the year because Ramsey comes in and has a decent day and almost brings us back.

Game 10

28-6 Loss to Philly after a 7-6 lead at halftime. Too many penalties and bad clock management again kills us.

Game 11

16-7 Loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers. We were expected to lose, but we cover the spread agains the best team in the league.

Game 12

31-7 demolition of the Giants is the first game we score over 18 points in a game. Finally!

Game 13

17-14 Loss to Philly and the referees again played a part in this loss. Still we outplayed them and everyone on ES knew that.

Game 14

26-16 beating of the lowly 49ers. As the defense finally scores. Four picks in this game, they were dominating.

Game 15

Loss in the final seconds to the Dallas Cowpukes. God I hate losing to the Cowboys, especially in the waning moments. We will sweep them next year. Score 13-10.

We have lost 9 games by a touchdown or less and four games by 4 points or less. Gibb's will have this ship rited. If you believe sign in.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Preach on Brother, Preach on.

The only thing that concernes me is that we have a very narrow window to "right the ship" before Gibbs takes a hike. It's not like he's going to be around > 3 yrs realistically. I'd have no problem settling into the long view if I knew we had some assurances that our coaching staff would be in place for a long time. Only then, are comparisons with Reid, et al relevant.

Originally posted by Om

Not to me.

Bingo! :thumbsup:

Originally posted by bird_1972

The only thing that concernes me is that we have a very narrow window to "right the ship" before Gibbs takes a hike. It's not like he's going to be around > 3 yrs realistically. I'd have no problem settling into the long view if I knew we had some assurances that our coaching staff would be in place for a long time. Only then, are comparisons with Reid, et al relevant.

Gibbs has said he plans on coaching out the contract. What more do you want?

Archived