Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joe Bugel interview

gillherb

Bugel: Offense Is Coming Together

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

December 15, 2004

Assistant head coach-offense Joe Bugel spoke with Redskins.com after practice on Wednesday:

Q: How important was it for the team to nearly pull off the upset against Philadelphia last Sunday?

A: "It was a gauge for us. Our guys came out totally focused. For us to win, we have to play near-perfect to beat a team like Philadelphia. They've been to the last three NFC Championship games and they're the team we have to beat to get to the top. But there's no question it was a gauge for us. It was a good starting point to see how we measure up."

Q: How do you get the team to play at the same emotional pitch this Sunday against a struggling San Francisco 49ers squad?

A: "What we do, which we think works well, is to give players the scouting reports on Wednesdays. They watch the tape and they give us their opinions of what they saw. On offense, I can tell you they're very impressed with that 49ers defense. They have speed, some big-time hitters and some heavyweights inside. They have Bryant Young who is a very good football player and their linebackers can run. So we don't get fooled by the record. And they won't get fooled by our record because we have good players also. They've been to 4-5 Super Bowls, so they still know how to win. We just don't want to be the team that they beat up on."

Q: Did it take a while for the offense to find its stride?

A: "Offensively, we needed to get entrusted into a power-type of offense, not a wide-open, throw-the-ball-downfield type of offense. We try to play a more grind-it-out game. If we play a great defense, we have to play to our defense and maybe hand it off 40 times and get a 10-7 win. So I think they're getting acclimated to how we do things here. Everybody is getting feel for the offense now."

Q: How much has Laveranues Coles shown you this season?

A: "He's one guy who has a great feel for the offense. He has shown us that he'll go across the middle even if 10 guys are going to hit him. He can bounce up. You're not going to taunt him. He has passed the litmus test of being a tough guy because that's the number one thing to test receivers. If you can go across the middle and a guy like [Eagles defensive back] Brian Dawkins is waiting for you, then you're a tough guy."

Q: It seemed like the team was physical on both sides of the ball on Sunday night. Is that part of the identity you want to establish here?

A: "Absolutely. Being physical is contagious. Our wide receivers right now are among the best blocking wide receivers in this league. They have passed that test. We're seeing Chris Samuels holding up, being out there by himself and leave him like Gilligan out on an island, expecting no help. Our guys are still working real hard. No one's heading into the tank."

Q: How important are these last three games as you go and evaluate the talent level?

A: "These last three games are extremely important. And the guys understand that. The guys want to be here. We're starting the improvement, not only for this year but for next year, getting our team molded together."

I think Joe Bugel is a good motivator and good coach, but after all the hype he gave to Dockery and others, I just dont get as pumped up about his interviews anymore. It just seems to me that he tells us things we want to hear.

Q: How important was it for the team to nearly pull off the upset against Philadelphia last Sunday?

A: "It was a gauge for us. Our guys came out totally focused. For us to win, we have to play near-perfect to beat a team like Philadelphia. They've been to the last three NFC Championship games and they're the team we have to beat to get to the top. But there's no question it was a gauge for us. It was a good starting point to see how we measure up."

Does that qualify as a "moral victory" ?

One thing about Joe is he's not the kind of guy to say things people want to hear..at least for the most part. If he thinks a player is doing well, he says so. If he doesn't, he says so.

So should we expect him to come out and say that Dockery has played like a sissy, like we've lined up one of the alternate cheerleaders at RG? Dockery plays like he's half the size that he is.... and also like he's playingon rollerblades.... rollerblades he's never worn before.

He (Dockery) needs to be beat severely about the head and shoulders with a tube sock full of bar soap.... in an attempt to toughen him up and bring out the nasty mauler in him. Othewise, bench this softee and bring in a road grader who will maul opposing DTs.

Originally posted by Cskin

So should we expect him to come out and say that Dockery has played like a sissy, like we've lined up one of the alternate cheerleaders at RG? Dockery plays like he's half the size that he is.... and also like he's playingon rollerblades.... rollerblades he's never worn before.

He (Dockery) needs to be beat severely about the head and shoulders with a tube sock full of bar soap.... in an attempt to toughen him up and bring out the nasty mauler in him. Othewise, bench this softee and bring in a road grader who will maul opposing DTs.

You mean sort of like he did with Patrick when he challenged him not too long ago? Sure. It could also mean that Buges view on Dockery is a tad different than some on here, ( this just in). Dockery's had a sophmore year but the past couple of games he's done much better. Joe may differ. Obviously he does in one way since some here believe Samuels hasn't played that well either yet here's Joe singing his praises. And not because it ain't true.

Samuels is a guy I had finally written off. I tend to keep faith in some players and coaches to long. I stuck with Westbrook and Norv long after most of the board were ready to lynch them. I finally fell off the Samuels bandwagon somewhere around the Detroit game.

Now I don't know. He finally showed some emotion, fustration at least, at the end of the first Philly game. Since then he has played solid, even good. I don't know now. I guess if he plays out the rest of the season at the same level as the last two games and restructures in the offseason then he is a keeper. For the continuity I would like to see him stay, but is he a core player type to build with on offense? What do you guys think?

Originally posted by Park City Skins

You mean sort of like he did with Patrick when he challenged him not too long ago? Sure. It could also mean that Buges view on Dockery is a tad different than some on here, ( this just in). Dockery's had a sophmore year but the past couple of games he's done much better. Joe may differ. Obviously he does in one way since some here believe Samuels hasn't played that well either yet here's Joe singing his praises. And not because it ain't true.

Speaking of Samuels I was down on him after the 1st Eagles game, but I have to say he was a man on a mission the last couple of games...IMO

edit: ditto to what Snagletooth wrote :) and I think he may very well be part of the core.

Originally posted by Parlett316

The weak link on the line isn't Dockery but Raymer. I hate to call for a players head but he has to go.

I totally agree... :cheers:

Buges is going to form a solid line, it is beginning to form now...Look at what he has done w/the rookie Molinaro....He will get Samuels back to a Pro Bowl level, he is just erasing 2 yrs of poor technique and coaching and trying to get his confidence back....Really most of the sacks and pressure we get come straight up the middle or off the right end, i.e our two weak spots on the line C, and RT....

Originally posted by NotInOurHouse

i have a problem when he says grind it out for 10-7 type wins. When or if we get good we cant let teams especially sorry teams hang around. You have to have some type of killer instinct. And gibbs' old teams threw alot along with running especially in 91 and guess what we were killing people

those long bombs were almost all off of play-action passes after we'd just ground out 35 yards on the ground over the course of 6 minutes.

And dockery, while yes, he has played a bit soft, has actually done a decent job of blocking. I mean, he's basically a rookie after learning peewee blocking schemes for a year. He'll pull that Texas rage out during this offseason I think. I ascertain this from the amount of penalties and mental mistakes he's made throughout the year. He seems to be overwhelmed upstairs at times, and when he's calm and settled in the system, when his brain isn't racing every time he steps up to the line, he'll hopefully start to maul people.

I have said this before...I just don't know if you can win in the NFL today with the ground it out attitude. You have to have some quick strike capability because everyone else does. Even the bad teams do. I also don't know if you can be good enough to grind it out against todays D's. Even the weakest are still good enough to force three and out against an offense with a run only scheme.

On another note. The comment about Samuels says alot. We think he is getting beat all the time. I guess I was wrong...sounds like they just hang him out to dry against usually the best players on the other team. Hope we can keep him.

Originally posted by jimster

I don't like the attitude of "have to play to our defense and maybe hand it off 40 times and get a 10-7 win".

The attitude should be to score when we have the ball, and BTW chew up the clock.

i agree 100% with you. we've been getting that 10pts almost all year and we're 4-9. its foolish to assume that you're going to hold teams to 7pts a game. we have too much talent to play like we don't have anyone who can make plays.

Originally posted by jtyler42

You can win w/the quick strike O but name me a team that has actually run won a Championship w/out a solid running game...

I certainly didn't mean to suggest that you donot need a strong running game. I did mean to suggest that simply handing it off 40 times and only expecting to generate 10 points is not going to win greater than 50% of the time in todays game.

Originally posted by 5Arrington6

I think Joe Bugel is a good motivator and good coach, but after all the hype he gave to Dockery and others, I just dont get as pumped up about his interviews anymore. It just seems to me that he tells us things we want to hear.

Dockery has had some games where he struggled. He's also had some VERY strong games, especially of late. I think Bugel is a motivator in that he knew Dockery would hear his comments about how Dockery could be the best guard he'd ever coached. Left unsaid was that Dockery had to get there himself.

I think the last few games I've watched Dockery very closely and have been impressed by his play for the most part. I think it is taking time to change the culture here, just as Bugel stated. Something none of us have really commented on is that for two years we were an offense DESIGNED to let defenses dictate to us.

Our offense was supposed to get to the right play based on the defense. We TOOK shots from them, we didn't deliver shots TO them. A trademark of the old Gibbs teams is that he would run the same play 5 straight times and it really didn't matter what you did about it because his guys would be so physical they'd dictate to the defense.

Transforming the mindset of the players from guys who know in their minds they have to receive all the blows to guys who know they get to deliver them is a process. The Philly loss was the closest I've seen this team to LOOKING like a Gibbs team in terms of delivering the blows to them.

That doesn't mean they didn't hit us. It simply means, it didn't matter. We KEPT doing our thing. When we hit them, they STOPPED doing their thing. Phrased as Bugel did here it does make you consider what we had been and what we started to look like against Philly.

Those are two very different teams.

And, the way Bugel stated it, it also MIGHT explain why Gibbs is calling the game like he's calling it. I don't think it's a secret the current offensive coaching staff hasn't been all that highly complementary of the last offensive system.

I think maybe Gibbs has felt it necessary to rip that system from them entirely, keeping things close to the vest, until he felt the team was playing physically and with the same fight his old teams played with. You're starting to see that coming back a little.

Archived