Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I think we need to revisit Dawkins "INT"

NoCalMike

Originally posted by Westbrook36

That video doesn't change anything for me. When gaining possession, the BALL IS ALLOWED TO MOVE AS LONG AS YOU RETAIN CONTROL.

When his knee goes down, the ball is cradled, the play is over.

No, that is only the case if the player lands in bounds. The minute a player is OUT OF BOUNDS and the ball is not secured, it is an incompletion. A player CANNOT be falling down with the ball wobbling, slide out of bounds AND THEN secure the ball.

Originally posted by laurent

It's a tough call and I can see how the ref would have a hard time coming up with conclusive evidence that Dawk didn't have possession.

He definitely didn't establish possession prior to his knee hitting ground, that much is certain.

dawk_int.jpg

What you need to look at is the same frame, but blown up in size that was posted earlier in this thread, that white space between the ball and Dawkins is proof that the ball is not secured in his hands. Sure, it is "in his grasp" and had he not slid out of bounds it would have been an INT, but the fact that he is out of bounds before the ball is secured makes it a pretty easy call.

Originally posted by NoCalMike

What you need to look at is the same frame, but blown up in size that was posted earlier in this thread, that white space between the ball and Dawkins is proof that the ball is not secured in his hands. Sure, it is "in his grasp" and had he not slid out of bounds it would have been an INT, but the fact that he is out of bounds before the ball is secured makes it a pretty easy call.

I don't it's an easy call at all. You have to have conclusive evidence to overturn a call on the field. In this case it could be argued that Dawkins has established possession. The ball is pinned against his chest and no longer moving. He maintains possession even after going out of bounds and the ball never touches the ground.

PCS, my only point is someone who watches a play slow motion, captures several images, posts them, then later tells me something that I seen with my naked eye never happened is either blind or didn't post it because it didn't support his argument.

Shoot, I say post it and let's argue over it. By covering it up (not posting ALL the evidence) you make it seem as if you are afraid of honest discourse about the entire play.

:doh: I should kick the **** out of you..... but I just have to laugh

The funny thing is, in live "real-time" I thought it was an INT and that was the right call, but the replay obviously shows that Dawkins didn't have control of the ball until he was on the ground out of bounds which BY RULE is an INCOMPLETION, now if the ball was in the other hand and you couldn't clearly see the movement of the ball wobbling around, then it would make it a much tougher call to make even with replay, but those still pics tell the storry. Dawkins did NOT have control of the ball until he slid out of bounds.

that's why they have replay.... :laugh:

Originally posted by psutrain

of course you missed a few frames there when his knee touched in bounds. You need to have irrefutable evidence for the call to be overturned on the field was there? NO

I have the game on TIVO and would gladly send you a copy to show you that his right leg never came down. Although it was a poor throw, it was also a poor call as a interception a couple of levels.

Originally posted by flexxskins

I have the game on TIVO and would gladly send you a copy to show you that his right leg never came down. Although it was a poor throw, it was also a poor call as a interception a couple of levels.

Not necessarily a bad call initially, but clearly should have been overturned with a review of the replay.

Again, going back to the explanation after the review, I would like to know what the official was looking at when "reviewing" this. To say he had both feet in bounds makes no sense with regard to this particular play, and if he meant a knee and a foot, which was also clearly wrong, but would be closer to a real explanation, he should have said that.

He supposedly had just come from watching this play over and over again in order to make the right call. How can you come out to the field and forget that you never once saw both feet hit the ground in bounds with possession of the ball, no matter what else you saw?

"Unfortunately, this won't be overturned" - Joe Theisman.

Man, talk about some fair coverage. I thought announcers were supposed to at least ACT like they are fair when calling a game.

Doesn't TO have his arm around Springs, too. So, wouldn't that be pass-interference as well...and yes it does matter what happens after that...if Springs did pass interference, then TO did, it would be offsetting, doesn;t matter the order...

On the PI..

Your allowed to touch the receiver and in no way did Springs impede TO on that play. Springs is looking back for the ball and any contact whotsoever is incidental. As a matter of fact from a different angle other than the one provided in the pic (go figure). TO grabs jersey at Springs chest to control him..period end of story.

On the INT.. One knee equals 2 feet. While I agree that the refs assessment that he had both feet down was compeltely wrong and laughable. I'd have to award Dawkins that catch. Although the ball actually touches ground if you'll look at it again but it really is so hard to see and such a good play to overturn IMHO. Not to mention Ramsey should not thrown that one.

Originally posted by psutrain

oh my god if I hear about refs one more time.

All teams will have bad calls in a game.

BAD TEAMS WILL DWELL ON THEM

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are not a good team. Go on different fan sites and you will find the same thing...people complaining about the officiating. Good teams overcome bad calls. Period.

Originally posted by Craig

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are not a good team. Go on different fan sites and you will find the same thing...people complaining about the officiating. Good teams overcome bad calls. Period.

Craig...i no one is arguin that we are a good team(at least i'm not)...i just think we should get a fair game called and a fair shot at beating a team like the Philadelphia Eagles

Originally posted by AzSkinsFan63

On the PI..

Your allowed to touch the receiver and in no way did Springs impede TO on that play. Springs is looking back for the ball and any contact whotsoever is incidental. As a matter of fact from a different angle other than the one provided in the pic (go figure). TO grabs jersey at Springs chest to control him..period end of story.

On the INT.. One knee equals 2 feet. While I agree that the refs assessment that he had both feet down was compeltely wrong and laughable. I'd have to award Dawkins that catch. Although the ball actually touches ground if you'll look at it again but it really is so hard to see and such a good play to overturn IMHO. Not to mention Ramsey should not thrown that one.

in your first statement i agree completely , .what the picture in that doesn't show is when T.O.'s hand is up in Springs throat during that also .

on your second statement , one knee does equal 2 feet but if you watch Zebs replay not only do you see the white in between the ball and dawkins hand . you can also see the ball is rotating !!!! that is not pocession. therefore he is not in control ,and it is and should have been called incomplete .

:2cents:

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

"Unfortunately, this won't be overturned" - Joe Theisman.

Man, talk about some fair coverage. I thought announcers were supposed to at least ACT like they are fair when calling a game.

Its funny that the picture of TO grabbing Springs by the throat before this isnt posted.

Originally posted by mark327

in your first statement i agree completely , .what the picture in that doesn't show is when T.O.'s hand is up in Springs throat during that also .

on your second statement , one knee does equal 2 feet but if you watch Zebs replay not only do you see the white in between the ball and dawkins hand . you can also see the ball is rotating !!!! that is not pocession. therefore he is not in control ,and it is and should have been called incomplete .

:2cents:

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

but, it wasn't.

I don't have the stomach to read 10 pages about the new league conspiracy against the Skins, but let me just state for the record that those of you here who are claiming that wasn't a pick are the homeriest homers in the universe. I did catch one post where the word TiVo stuck out, so I read that one where the poster claims he's seen on tape that Dawk's knee wasn't down. Well, your TiVo must have broken, because mine showed a knee (which equals 2 feet) down very clearly with his hand under the ball.

Quit whining. You look pathetic. Your franchise is too proud to have this drivel represent you.

End sermon. Onward with your conspiracy theories....

:laugh:

Now correct me if I am wrong but don't the rules state that you have to have control of the ball as you are landing on the ground? To me it looks like he and the CB are both trying to grab the ball, and as Dawkins as falling down he the ball starts wobbling in his arms, it is still not being controlled when his knee hits, but then recovers after he has hit the out of bounds marker. Shouldn't that be an INCOMPLETION? I thought you had to have control of the ball as you hit the ground.......The reason I am bringing this up is that the Sacramento sports main guy(who does Kings games and is a huge NY Giants fan ugh) was lambasting the officials and saying that he was in Indiana with some Pacers and Kings players and they were all watching the game, and there wasn't a single person who thought that the INT would stand and they couldn't understand why it wasn't overturned..........

:puke:

he had possession. The question is whether he had any feet down. He didn't. He had a knee down in the end zone.

Archived