Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Radical Idea About WR Situation

method man

I know this idea sounds radical but if we have enough cap room, it could be really feasible.

We put Coles on IR for the rest of this season and for all of next season too to recover fully from his turf toe without surgery.

I read somewhere that Coles could fully recover from turf toe if he had 18 months of rest. I think if this is true, he could be back at full strength by training camp in 2006.

In the meantime, to take Coles's spot, we go sign Porter.

We would go sign him to a multiyear deal (ex. 6 years) but make his base salaries low for 2005 and 2006. He would not be all taht expensive either because he is not a superstar. Plus he could give us a small hometown discount.

With Gardner, we let him play out the final year of his contract in 2005 and just ditch him after that year.

So

2005: Gardner, Porter

2006: Porter, Coles

umm, i wouldnt mind benching coles for the rest of the year, but wouldnt bench him next year. I think he may opt for surgery or whatever to fix it, hes a fighter, he doesnt want to let a toe hinder him. I wouldnt mind getting Porter, he's show talent in some games. Burress would be nice also, or hell, why not Braylon Edwards?

I know I run the risk of being flamed by saying this, and maybe I should say this in the other thread, but I really DO NOT understand the sudden infactuation with Porter. In my eyes he is just another Rod Gardener. They are very similar talent wise, physical size, and Porter had a ****ty attitude. I agree Coles needs to rest, but I am not at all interested in Porter. We need character guys, and I believe if I am not mistaken Porter was ****ing about his catched earlier this year. Not my, nor Gibbs type of player IMHO. Anyone else on this entire message board share these feelings?

Porter could be a freak

but the more I think of this the more I realize its a bad idea and just the usual Redskins thing to do.

Gardner must go, but I think Jacobs could start. If not him then McCants

Or we could find some really good playmaking WR out of nowhere if we look hard enough, a la Ron Curry!

I know YOU do not think Porter is a Superstar...but you won't convince HIM of that. He will require a 7 year deal for 50 million dollars or something rediculous. Of course he won't get that much unless someone is willing to pay it, but if you think he will end up cheap, you are fantasizing.

If I remember correctly, teh stuff about Porter was overblown.

With Coles, remember that he will not have surgery because it is too risky and could end his career.

The thing I said about Gardner was to keep him for the last year of his contract and then letting him go after it expired.

I do not believe that Porter is known for drops and he is someone who can get open.

SOMEONE PLEASE POST A SCOUTING REPORT ON PORTER

Originally posted by harriet

I know YOU do not think Porter is a Superstar...but you won't convince HIM of that. He will require a 7 year deal for 50 million dollars or something rediculous. Of course he won't get that much unless someone is willing to pay it, but if you think he will end up cheap, you are fantasizing.

exactly

we as skins fans across the country dont think he's a superstar

but somewhere there's an agent telling him and all NFL GM's that he's the next TO. And im sure he already thinks he's the ****.

It sounds cool, but too much like the kinda stuff we've been doin. And that hasnt worked yet.

Originally posted by KINGBRICE_28

Porter is gonna stay in oakland......why does everyone think he's coming here?........he's the only WR they have.......

And no they would never trade gardner for porter......

We never said he was coming here we said we would like to see him come here b/c he's a FA.We would trade Gardner to another team for possibly a DE or DT.He is not happy in Oakland and thats why I say anything could happen and hope it does.

We don't need a streaker like Porter or Curry. We need a pure possession receiver (what Gardner was supposed to be) like Henry Ellard once was or Muhsin Muhammed is. Just a solid player that's going to make the plays and the catches on third down. McCants and Jacobs can be our deep threats out of the slot.

Maybe Jerry Rice has a year left in him??

Originally posted by seanskins

I know I run the risk of being flamed by saying this, and maybe I should say this in the other thread, but I really DO NOT understand the sudden infactuation with Porter. In my eyes he is just another Rod Gardener. They are very similar talent wise, physical size, and Porter had a ****ty attitude. I agree Coles needs to rest, but I am not at all interested in Porter. We need character guys, and I believe if I am not mistaken Porter was ****ing about his catched earlier this year. Not my, nor Gibbs type of player IMHO. Anyone else on this entire message board share these feelings?

You won't get flamed, you'll just be told to watch the sunday night game last night if you can get it. Or atleast look at the stats or highlights. :rolleyes:

Gardner should be gone, no questions asked. Coles will take time, but 18 months? We should go after Porter to the fulliest extent (YA HEAR THAT SNYDER!!), but if it doesn't work out we should get the best WR in the draft. I'm not talking college stats, I mean the best prospect. Someone who we know when the balls thrown to it will be caught. Coles is the type of Reciever when healthy, and we need another to make the offense really go.

Originally posted by KINGBRICE_28

Porter is gonna stay in oakland......why does everyone think he's coming here?........he's the only WR they have.......

And no they would never trade gardner for porter......

On Sunday night football last night they said Porter was a free agent and that it was almost positive he was going to get a new start somewhere else.

If Coles is shut down, which I think MUST BE DONE, then it may be risky to get rid of Gardner. He is having a terrible year, but so are the rest of our receivers. Coles has not dropped this many balls before, and I'm sure Gardner hasn't either.

Without Coles we need to have some consistency, and we may need to keep Gardner, but we should play him less. Mix it up with McCants and Thrash, and let people EARN their job. If you produce, you play, it's that simple. Let Jacobs start while Coles is gone.

Archived