Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gardner for Porter?

Renegade7

I can't wait for the day that we don't talk about every possible trade scenario known to man.

Gibbs is here folks. He made his big splash with the signings he made when he first came on board, that will probably be about it.

Looks for the guys on the offensive side of the ball to turn out the way Pierce and Warner did on defense. He's a true teacher of the game regardless if it's the free agent era or not.

That's what he does rather than going out after every possible free agent.

Have we even mentioned the Kearse thing since the seasoned open up? No, because other guys other have stepped up.

The same will start to happen on offense.

Originally posted by Renegade7

My dad asked me a weird question today. He asked, what is the greatest need for this team. The D is ranked #1, the running game is finally looking like it can do it's own thing. I thought about the passing game. If Brunell doesn't work out, then there's still ramsey. So what's left to improve? The passing game.

This team is being treated like a family unit. The team feels like a family, it's just that the offense is struggeling to get the offense going. The defense is getting it going, they get the system. So continuity is great, but I think the problem is the players have yet to get the system down pat yet. Atleast on the offensive side.

Face it, Monte. I disagree with you. :)

Edit: family is family...

Oh he11 R7. I will do my best to deal with the fact that you disagree with me, and about 70% of the voters in your poll. :) Any serious discussion about improving our offense revolves primarily around improving the play of the quarterback position. You could go out and get Moss, Owens, and Gonzalez if you want but if Brunell continues to perform at the level that he has so far this season it wouldn't matter. I too believe that Patrick could be an answer but until he is allowed to play it is all speculation. His performance during the preseason was not exactly awe-inspiring. I know he has a huge arm but I am not convinced that he "gets it" in reference to the intangibles necessary to excel in the position.

Originally posted by vnmenon1

There is NO way a trade for Porter would be a good thing... He is ME guy, Keyshawnesque. He complained about not getting enough balls thrown his way in the Norv Turner system and publicly denounced it. Do we want that to happen again here in D.C.?

He is a local and he is in no way keyshanesque:doh: He was happy being the #3 and respected the game and didn't complain while he was clearly better last year. BTW I beleive he is a FA next year as well.

Originally posted by Monte51Coleman

Oh he11 R7. I will do my best to deal with the fact that you disagree with me, and about 70% of the voters in your poll. :) Any serious discussion about improving our offense revolves primarily around improving the play of the quarterback position. You could go out and get Moss, Owens, and Gonzalez if you want but if Brunell continues to perform at the level that he has so far this season it wouldn't matter. I too believe that Patrick could be an answer but until he is allowed to play it is all speculation. His performance during the preseason was not exactly awe-inspiring. I know he has a huge arm but I am not convinced that he "gets it" in reference to the intangibles necessary to excel in the position.

The thing with Ramsey is he can make plays, but has fixable flaws. Most of his career he's been getting hit. Tulane, under spurrier, he's used to it. He's used to waiting until the last minute because he used to getting hit. IT doesn't work. He can fix that. Rushing the pass: I don't care what anyone says, Ramsey moved that ball up and down the feild against the Giants. He made mistakes in rushing the pass, almost rookie mistakes. Totally fixable.

If Brunell doesn't work, ramsey will. And with if the starting WRs are dropping balls, and one is looking for a payday, you know what needs to be done. Porter can get it done and he's a hometown guy. Family first? His family is in DC. Again, if Gardner and Porter are going to ask for the same amount of money, take the better WR. I could care less about continuity if we have a losing season.

Remember, there are 31 teams that would take Jerry Porter on their team. There are not 31 teams that would take Rod Gardner.

I'm trying to figure out how losing Gardner for Porter helps. I haven't seen anything that makes me believe Porter is more talented. He's had a little injury problem. Gardner, while making some drops, has turned in some solid performances. He has a good attitude and will probably be paid similar to Porter. Porter may have a little more speed, but Gardner makes the tougher catches. No reason to ever make this move.

Originally posted by Maxwarrior

I'm trying to figure out how losing Gardner for Porter helps. I haven't seen anything that makes me believe Porter is more talented. He's had a little injury problem. Gardner, while making some drops, has turned in some solid performances. He has a good attitude and will probably be paid similar to Porter. Porter may have a little more speed, but Gardner makes the tougher catches. No reason to ever make this move.

Porter has more first downs and more 20+ yard receptions this year then Gardner. The problem with gardner is that he makes bone-head, drive killing mistakes and drops easy balls. That's my problem with him.

That's the point, man! The fact that they'll be asking for the same amount of money but Porter is better! I can understand a little loyalty, but we can't have Gardner here if he's going to continue dropping easy passes. Enough is enough, and I'm ready to get over the hump. If he's going to stay, he's got to step up. And I'm not talking just for one game either.

Ok, the last catch gardner dropped was at the giants game. OK. He had a huge game in dallas against a good corner. Then, the next few games, brunell averages a wooping 90 yards passing a game or something. How is a num 2 going to get a chance to show consistancy in with a qb performing like that. Really, coles has played worse than Gardner this Year. THey have similar yardage, but RG has 3 tds. Nobody seems to want to trade Coles. Hes also dropped more balls, and I know hes injured but still. Im just saying we shouldn't judge Gardners consistancy when your qb stinks. How many num 2's are going to be able to do much when your q throws 8 completions a game. I wont cry if the offense gels and gardner plays bad, and then we trade gardner at the end of the year, but there is really NO offense now. Gardner has a lot of tools to become a freak. Just give him a chance.

Porter has more first downs and more 20+ yard receptions this year then Gardner. The problem with gardner is that he makes bone-head, drive killing mistakes and drops easy balls. That's my problem with him.

Why is it that everything about ramsey is fixable whereas gardner could never work extra on his catching and improve in that respect. yes gardner has been a starter for a few years and has had his problems but ramsey has started a number of times also and also has had his problems. maybe it is my faith that is blinding me but I still have hope for both of them.

Originally posted by Whiskeypeet

Isn't Rod a free agent this offseason?

If not I don't know if I would take the deal. From a talent stand point I don't know if you would gain or lose in the trade. Rod is very inconsitent and when he is on reminds me a lot of Ike Hilliard in terms of his impact on the game (read: effective but not dominating).

On the other hand I think keeping him around to help build some chemistry on offense is pretty important. I think/hope with Joe the days of multiple new starters on both sides of the ball is over. Keeping Gardner around would be in line with that.

Of course if he is a free agent he will probably overvalue himself.......bye bye.

No he is under contract through next season.

Originally posted by Whiskeypeet

Isn't Rod a free agent this offseason?

If not I don't know if I would take the deal. From a talent stand point I don't know if you would gain or lose in the trade. Rod is very inconsitent and when he is on reminds me a lot of Ike Hilliard in terms of his impact on the game (read: effective but not dominating).

On the other hand I think keeping him around to help build some chemistry on offense is pretty important. I think/hope with Joe the days of multiple new starters on both sides of the ball is over. Keeping Gardner around would be in line with that.

Of course if he is a free agent he will probably overvalue himself.......bye bye.

And I would say RG is pretty dominating when he is on. Notice how most of his stats come from single game performances(200+ yards against carolina 3 years ago, 150 against Dallas this year, and 2 tds should've been 3 without Pass interference) Id say thats dominating. He single handedly almost beat dallas. Im telling you he could be a freak with a consistant QB when our offense becomes high octane. I mean, he does pretty good for being a number 2.

Rod is probly outta here after this season. I'd be willing to bet that this offseason the Skins will target Porter as a replacement, Plaxico is going to cost far too much for the Skins. Porter is also a DC native. I would not be surprised to see Jerry Porter in a Skins uni next year.

Rod Gardner is an excellent receiver. Schottenheimer knew what he was doing when he drafted him in the first round of the 2001 draft.

Joey Porter is very good. He has speed, quickness, and good hands. Gardner is fast and strong and he can take a hit.

I think Gardner is the tougher receiver of the two and trading him for Porter would be a mistake.

Hasn't Prter been recently accused of having an attitude problem in oakland ???

I have seen a couple of flashes from him but don't think that Porter's worth discussing. Rod Gardner is going to rob some team blind becasue we will not be able to afford what he THINKS hes worth.

The trading deadline passed on October 13th at 4:00 pm. So any trade considerations at this point would be premature. Let Gardner complete a full year under Gibbs and evaluate him then (as I'm sure the coaching staff will do). If a trade would upgrade the team at that time, then go for it.

Since we are talking fantasy football here, I just traded Porter for Coles. It still remains to be seen if it was a good move given the Brunell/Collins situation.

congratulations kbnj for getting rid of the clown, now we just have to find a way to get rid of the poop tracker.

Originally posted by Chipper

Ok, the last catch gardner dropped was at the giants game. OK. He had a huge game in dallas against a good corner. Then, the next few games, brunell averages a wooping 90 yards passing a game or something. How is a num 2 going to get a chance to show consistancy in with a qb performing like that. Really, coles has played worse than Gardner this Year. THey have similar yardage, but RG has 3 tds. Nobody seems to want to trade Coles. Hes also dropped more balls, and I know hes injured but still. Im just saying we shouldn't judge Gardners consistancy when your qb stinks. How many num 2's are going to be able to do much when your q throws 8 completions a game. I wont cry if the offense gels and gardner plays bad, and then we trade gardner at the end of the year, but there is really NO offense now. Gardner has a lot of tools to become a freak. Just give him a chance.

Good corner? He was a third string rookie. :doh: People forget that I've given Gardner a chance. He still has until the rest of the season to prove that he can stay on. Because when he's on, he's on. When he's on. Now that we have that settled; if Porter and gardner are going to be asking for the same amount of money, I'd take Porter. Porter can make the big plays and the easy ones. And after his little tyraid about caring about his family, it'd be ideal to bring him here being he's a DC native. We couldn't get rid of Coles even if we wanted to anyway. And Gardner has dropped passes since the Giants game.

Archived