Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

chad morton issues

Stone Cold

i realize that one can't point the finger at a single individual, but chad morton is making a heckuva lot of money to be average. i wonder if his days are numbered as a skin. i also wonder if our kr/pr is already on the roster...mr sooooootan mccullough. i wonder if gibbs and co have given any other looks to return men in an effort to free up some cap space that morton has locked...he's not earning his money fellas...imo. our special teams have been anything but special this season. it's not all of chad's fault...i realize that. but can't we pay someone half his price tag for the same result?

i wonder...

i don't think he sucks...just not worth the money. i know a few folks said prior to the season that sooootan would probably not make the team because he brings to the table the same attributes as morton and portis. well, why not send morton on his merry way, and use that money elsewhere...sooootan is up to the task baby. :)

im starting to agree , i first thought he was just hampered by nagging injuries but lately i been thinking a bit down on him , could be blocking tho on special teams , cuz he is gobbled fast , he did have on go for a TD against the saints but that is about the only highpoint i can remember

i'm just overly curious as to why we paid soooo much to a guy to tie up a roster spot while contributing absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. for god's sake, there are kr in the league that used to be beer men. i understand that mistakes are made and this is only his second year here, but sooner or later something's got to give. if we don't resign smoot or samuels and morton is still on the roster, i think i'll puke.

let soooootan run em back baby!!!

I have been questioning Morton for awhile now... he needs to go, but didn't we sign him to like a 80-year, mega-deal too?

I tell you... I absolutely hate the Ravens but you have to give them some props for talent evaluation... here are the Redskins who go out and get another big name a few years back... this time at special teams in Chad Morton. He has been a bust to put it lightly. Everytime he goes back there I pray that he won't fumble and know that if he doesn't he will either let a punt roll an extra 10-15 yards or return a kick to the 19 yard-line.

On the other hand, the Ravens get an undrafted free-agent in PK Sams who single handly kept the Ravens in the Chiefs game and won the Skins game... that guy returned 3 kicks to the 50 and 1 punt for a TD in a loss to KC... and we all know what he did to us.... field position and the ability to score on every return keeps you in games that most teams would be out of...

I agree with a previous poster in giving Sultan a shot... but I'm sure his hefty contract will never allow it. Hey, kind of like Ramsey getting a shot over Brunell...

43 million? what the F***!

Morton was decent out of the backfield last year on 3rd downs. Maybe he needs to do more of that. He needs to do something to earn his bucks. Hell, maybe they could come up with some plays that split him out wide or let him run a reverse or something. I dunno....

I think Morton stays because Gibbs trusts him not to turn the ball over or to make silly mistakes. The thing that does surprise me is that Chad has not shown the athletic ability that I thought he had when we signed him (for too much dough). I would think that even with average blocking a real return threat would make a play once in a while on his own.

just say no to b mitch. we've already overpaid for one kr, no need to do that again...besides, we've got our young stud kr waiting in the wings...soooooootan!!! we don't need to pay morton those kind of dollars for average return play and to be an occasional 3rd down scat back. we already have that type of player on our roster...oh by the way, he comes at about one third the price. ;)

wasn't there a post on this yesterday?

all the Morton bashers got their wish against Cleveland and Thrash was back there and he did even worse.

Running toward the pile is probably the ST coach telling him "run toward your blockers, they'll open a lane" - problem is it doesn't happen very often.

..ever notice when he does break off a nice little run, it usually starts with him running out of a group of players?

Our special teams in general needs to get better, we allow way to much on returns - and that aint Morton's fault either. When Bailey, Deon, Jacquez Green were in there, and even the last few years of Brian Mitchell, we haven't been very good at punt returns.

I too have had problems with Morton all season long. The numbers reflect a mediocre to poor return man. My biggest problem with him, however, has to do with his judgement on punt returns. He seems to fair catch too often when there is running room. Also, he lets too many balls bounce and result in greater net yardage for kicking team instead of just catching the ball

I'm not really that down on Morton, the holes simply weren't there. The way I see it either our blocking sucks or coverage teams are just doing a great job against our unit.

What I liked so far is the fact that he's pretty sure handed and plays smart (who else was thinking wtf when he fielded the kick off out of bounds against the Ravens?).

I definately think that Morton is over paid for what he brings to the team, (which is not much). But I did like him as a third down back and even as a teampory runningback. I wish there was a way the skins could sign Brian Mitchell for a year and have him retire as a Redskin.

Originally posted by yankstrat

My biggest problem with him, however, has to do with his judgement on punt returns. He seems to fair catch too often when there is running room. Also, he lets too many balls bounce and result in greater net yardage for kicking team instead of just catching the ball

These are the same reasons I have concerns about Morton. A return man has to see the field quickly on punts. His job is to better the position on the field - this takes a certain amount of daring and willingness to challenge the coverage.

It seems to me, several times Chad has made a too-safe fair catch (with some running room) only to follow it up with a poor judgement (inside the 10) catch later in the game. Almost as if he is uncertain of the coverage, goes to the side-line, sees he missed an opportunity and tries to atone.

I know our blocking on returns are suspect, but we should expect good judgement. :(

Archived