Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Watch-List Passenger ID'd as Cat Stevens

BG

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,133095,00.html

Just thought it would be of interest.......

Watch-List Passenger ID'd as Cat Stevens

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

WASHINGTON — A plane bound for Washington from London was diverted to Maine on Tuesday after passenger Yusuf Islam -- formerly known as pop singer Cat Stevens (search) -- showed up on a U.S. watch list, federal officials said.

United Airlines Flight 919 had already taken off from London en route to Dulles International Airport (search) when the match was made between the passenger and the watch list, said Nico Melendez, a spokesman for the Transportation Security Administration.

The plane was met by federal agents at Maine's Bangor International Airport (search) around 3 p.m., Melendez said.

Federal officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, identified the individual as Islam.

One official said Islam, 56, was identified by the Advanced Passenger Information System, which requires airlines to send passenger information to U.S. Customs and Border Protection's National Targeting Center. TSA was then contacted and requested that the plane land at the nearest airport, the official said.

"He was interviewed and denied admission to the United States on national security grounds," said Homeland Security spokesman Dennis Murphy. He said the man would be put on the first available flight out of the country Wednesday.

Islam, who was born Stephen Georgiou, took Cat Stevens as a stage name and had a string of hits in the 1960s and '70s, including "Wild World" and "Morning Has Broken." Last year he released two songs, including a re-recording of his '70s hit "Peace Train," to express his opposition to the U.S.-led war in Iraq.

He abandoned his music career in the late 1970s and changed his name after being persuaded by orthodox Muslim teachers that his lifestyle was forbidden by Islamic law. He later became a teacher and an advocate for his religion, founding a Muslim school in London in 1983.

Islam recently condemned the school seizure by militants in Beslan, Russia, earlier this month that left more than 300 dead, nearly half of them children.

In a statement on his Web site, he wrote, "Crimes against innocent bystanders taken hostage in any circumstance have no foundation whatsoever in the life of Islam and the model example of Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him."

I still think Tea for the Tillerman is a great album. So of the songs on it are quite good, and it always reminds me of a certain time when I was young.

It is just interesting the sudden direction he took in his life. I remember Catstevens, or Yusof, codemning the Satanic Verses and supporting the threat on the author's life.

Uh,

GUYS

Yusuf Islam supported the fatwa against Salman Rushdie and has financial/spiritual ties to suspected terrorists.

He's NOT in favor of peace. He long ago forsook that path.

That article is not the sum of his life since conversion. Sure, he made a statement about the Russian school massacre, but that has to be balanced against his other stances.

They even said there's no way he should have been allowed to board a plane headed to the US. That's pretty serious, not just some "watch him if he lands" kind of deal.

Originally posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

Uh,

GUYS

Yusuf Islam supported the fatwa against Salman Rushdie and has financial/spiritual ties to suspected terrorists.

Here is his official press release from 1989 debunking the Hannity-recycled lie about Rushdie.

http://catstevens.com/articles/00013/index.html

Yusuf Islam Issues A Formal Statement On The Rushdie Affair

By Yusuf Islam

March 2nd, 1989

Under Islamic Law, the ruling regarding blasphemy is quite clear; the person found guilty of it must be put to death. Only under certain circumstances can repentance be accepted.

On 21st February, I was speaking to a group of students at the Kingston Polytechnic, and in response to a question, I simply stated the Islamic ruling on the Rushdie affair. Suddenly. my picture was splashed on the front page of newspapers all over the world next to the headline: 'Kill Rushdie says Cat Stevens (Bio)'. It is very sad to see such irresponsibility from the 'free press' and I am totally abhorred.

My only crime was, I suppose, in being honest. I stood up and expressed my belief and I am in no way apologizing for it. I expressed the Islamic view based on the Qur'an, the Prophet's sayings (peace and blessings be upon him) and the rulings of the Caliphs and renowned schools of Islamic jurisprudence.

However, that is not to say I am encouraging people to break the law or take it into their own hands: far from it. Under the Islamic Law, Muslims are bound to keep within the limits of the law of the country in which they live, providing that it does not restrict the freedom to worship and serve God and fulfil their basic religious duties (fard'ayn). One must not forget the ruling in Islam is also very clear about adultery, stealing and murder, but that doesn't mean that British Muslims will go about lynching and stoning adulterers, theives and murderers. If we can't get satisfaction within the present limits of the law, like a ban on this blasphemous book, 'Satanic Verses' which insults God and His prophets - including those prophets honoured by Christians, Jews as well as Muslims - this does not mean that we should step outside of the law to find redress. No. If Mrs. Thatcher and her Government are unwilling to listen to our pleas, if our demonstrations and peaceful lobbying don't work, then perhaps the only alternative is for Muslims to get more involved in the political process of this country. It seems to be the only way left for us.

The fundimental issue which has put the non-Muslim world at loggerheads with Islam, is not that of the book or attempts to ban it. Indeed it is encouraging that many non-Muslims, including the Archbishop of Canterbury endore the request of Muslims that the Blasphemy Law be extended to cover the Islamic faith. When Jim Allen's play 'Perdition' was harassed out of existance by angry jews - some of whom burned an effigy of the writer - the British reaction was muted. The present attitude of the Government and press is obviously as a result of their opposition to the Islamic legal ruling that Rushdie should be executed and the fact that it has come from an Islamic country.

The fact is that as far as the application of Islamic Law and the implementation of full Islamic way of life in Britain is concerned, Muslims realize that there is very little chance of that happening in the near future. But that shouldn't stop us from trying to improve the situation and presenting the Islamic viewpoint wherever and whenever possible. That is the duty of ever Muslim and that is what I did.

----

And on giving to "terrorist" causes, although this is more open to debate...

HAS YUSUF/CAT STEVENS EVER GIVEN MONEY TO CHARITIES THAT SUPPORT TERRORISM, AND/OR DOES HE SUPPORT TERRORISM IN ANY WAY?:

No, of course not. Yusuf is a man of peace and feels that terrorism is un-islamic. He has never given any money or support to any terrorist organization. The same goes for charities that front terrorist groups. In fact Yusuf devotes most of his resources to his own charities. One, "Small Kindness" gives the money directly to the families in need (there are no middle-men involved).

Here is the contact information for Small Kindness.

Registered Charity No: 1079579

Account No: 1001803

For Details Please contact:

Raad Salman Project Co-ordinator on 020 8830 1111

E-mail:info@smallkindness.org.uk

www.smallkindness.org.uk

Jackson's Ward

I love how you used "Hannity-recycled" when Islam says he had his face splashed in papers around the world. Hardly think Hannity was the one responsible.

More like a little smear to counter the fact that Yusuf believes in Islam and merely "recycles"(to use your cheap technique) the 'oh-so-reassuring' doctrine that Muslims must follow the laws of non-Muslim countries in which they lie. Meaning, if they ever achieve anything resembling a Muslim state, you SHOULD be killed for blasphemy according to Islamic law---WHICH Yusuf ISLAM SUPPORTS.

Next time, read the article you dig up to counter me, VT Shock.

Archived