Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Solving the Mystery of Ade Jimoh

Ignatius J.

So why did Jimoh make the team?

It might be his "potential" but after seeing him burnt enough to get the nickname toast, I think that's not quite enough. Ade had an amazing block on morton's great punt return last week. It wasn't a pancake, but he slowly pushed the gunner out of the way leaving morton with a free shot up into the second wave, where he could work his magic.

An outstanding play that just might have been the nail in bauman's coffin.

The mystery wouldn't be so confounding if we had great depth at CB on the roster. If Ade was #6 of 6, it'd be no big deal keeping him for Teams play. But, he's number 4 of 4. He's going to be in a lot this year.

It's scary, but Thito's right, you just have to trust Coach. And I do.

Bethesda, Md.: Why in the world did they keep Adde Jimoh? By being out of position on crucial plays last season and this preseason, the guy was personally responsible for at least two opposing teams' touchdowns. Even Sonny and Sam have started to give an "I-told-you-so" groan everytime the guy screws up.

Nunyo Demasio: Yeah, some of us who saw Jimoh play last year though maybe he had incriminating pictures of someone on the coaching staff. Seriously though, Gibbs's new staff didn't prejudge anyone. Jimoh made the team because he was decent in preseason and Rashad Bauman wasn't healthy enough to show much.

http://discuss.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/zforum/04/r_sports_redskins090904.htm

Originally posted by thito_da_skins_fan

Joe Gibbs kept Ade on the roster.

That's enough of a reason for me.

I totally agree, Gibbs always keeps the BEST players, maybe Jimoh will thrive in William's schemes, we should give the guy a second chance. Maybe hes developed a little and will surprise us

I never thought much of Bauman. Just another worthless Cerrato pick. Still, I'd think we could do better than Jimoh, but lest we forget, even Darrell Green got burnt several times his rookie year, and I'd bet I wasn't the only one SCREAMING at Dockery when he first started for all the blunders in the Tampa game. So, even the elite have rough rookie seasons.

Remember that defensive interference has been emphasized for the coming season. Also, I’ve read that Gibbs and Co. invited an officiating gang down for a pow-wow early in the off-season. Perhaps they’ve created a scheme that’s a bit different then what we’re used to and Abe fit the role better.

I can see Abe blitzing from the corner and having one of the extra safeties cover his man. Jimoh may be able to lay more body onto a running back then Bauman, or maybe he was faster… Or perhaps not, what do I know.

:dunce::drool:

edit: whoa! holy size difference, some stats

Bauman's 5-08 184lbs

$380K for 2004 (RFA in '05)

Jimoh is 6-1 245lbs

$305K, (380k '05, RFA in '06)

This one is easy guys. As China mentioned, Ade is a much better special teams player than Bauman.

Bauman is a good corner, but since Springs/Smoot/Harris and in some cases Lott can play corner, Jimoh was kept because he can fly down the field on special teams and lay a good hit on the return guys.

Originally posted by wkelch

whoa! holy size difference, some stats

Bauman's 5-08 184lbs

$380K for 2004 (RFA in '05)

Jimoh is 6-1 245lbs

$305K, (380k '05, RFA in '06)

I don't think Jimoh is anywhere near 245 lbs, even though NFL.com has a stats page that says so. They also have him at 188 lbs on this page. If you have seen him up close, you know he ain't 245. Yahoo Sports has him at 190.

two factors we need to remember about Jimoh.

1. He was a rookie free agent in 2003 and should never have beeen thrown out there in the fourth quarter of regular season games against veteran receivers. This was a mistake that George Edwards made.

2. Jimoh does have the size and speed to be a legitimate player in the NFL. The question is whether he has the instincts to play the game. I don't know that being here in 2003 under Spurrier and Edwards in the zoo that Redskins Park became, was an accurate gauge of ANYONE's ability.

So, I will trust Gregg Williams on this one.

He had no problem cutting Jeremiah Trotter and working to overcome the loss of Champ Bailey.

If he thought Jimoh was an empty jersey he would have cut him, irregardless of how much Bauman did or did not play in the preseason.

Do you honestly believe that Gibbs would have told Williams he had to cut Rashad Bauman if Williams stood up and told him that despite his missing some time, he believed in him as one of the team's top corners? :)

More than one person on the staff came to the conclusion that Bauman was expendable.

At least that's my take on how the roster decisions were made.

Archived