Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PDN: either nothing has changed with the Washington Redskins or

bubba9497

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/9597894.htm?1c

ASHBURN, Va. - Depending on your point of view,

either nothing has changed with the Washington Redskins or everything has.

Owner Dan Snyder went out and spent a bundle of money in the offseason on free agents. Again.

And he hired a new head coach. Again. Fourth one in the last 5 years, if you're counting.

What has given Redskins fans a glimmer of hope that this isn't yet another false alarm triggered by Snyder's foolish spending is the fact that the new coach is Hall of Famer Joe Gibbs, who guided the 'Skins to three Super Bowl titles in a previous coaching life in D.C.

Yes, Gibbs is 63 years old. Yes, he was far, far away from football for the last 11 seasons, running a NASCAR racing team. And yes, a lot of coaching rust has built up in those 11 seasons. Shortly after hiring Gregg Williams as his defensive coordinator earlier this year, he asked Williams to draw up his three favorite blitzes for him. Much to his chagrin, Gibbs never had seen any of them.

While it remains to be seen whether Snyder and his top personnel man, vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato, finally have assembled enough talent to challenge the Eagles for the NFC East title, Gibbs' return to Redskins Park at least has restored order and discipline. The team lacked both during Steve "The Ball Coach'' Spurrier's abysmal 2-year NFL hitch, which netted the 'Skins two losing seasons and Spurrier $25 million of Snyder's money.

"Not only has he changed the attitude of the team, he's changed the attitude of the building,'' Cerrato said. "He's totally changed the chemistry of everything.''

After 2 years of enduring Spurrier's loose leadership and his not-suited-for-the-NFL Fun 'N Gun offense, Redskins players have welcomed Gibbs' return, even if he has been away from coaching for more than a decade.

"The best thing Daniel Snyder has done since I've been here is go back and get the man who built the house,'' cornerback Fred Smoot said. "He brought Joe Gibbs back. He's the one guy who's capable of curing the disease we've had.

"We've had tremendous talent since I've been here. We just didn't have a general. Nobody to direct us and show us how to be a team. And that's what we got right now. If you don't have a general, you're never going to win the war. Getting a chance to play for a guy like this, a legend, everybody's really loving it right now.''

Nobody's loving it more than the offensive players, who feel Gibbs' power running attack will give them a much better chance of succeeding than Spurrier's Fun 'N Gun.

"Spurrier was a nice guy and all, but his offense just didn't work in this league,'' right guard Randy Thomas said. "We just felt like we were always back on our heels. People were teeing off on us and making us look bad.

"With this group and the new offense, we're playing up to our abilities. I think we're going to be a force. We're very patient. We try to control it and do it. We're not trying to go long every play.

"When [Gibbs] first met with us, you just knew it was going to be a different ship. Everything is family-oriented now. Guys are liking each other better. We've got a guy who's been there. Everybody talks about him being old school. But he's smart, man.''

Whatever rust Gibbs still has, he's going to have to shed fast, because the clock is ticking. Not only his biological clock, but also the 'Skins' salary-cap clock. While Cerrato disagrees, his team appears to have just a 2-year window of opportunity to make a Super Bowl run before the roster will have to be dismantled. Again.

After handing out nearly $50 million in signing bonuses this offseason to running back Clinton Portis ($11.5 million), cornerback Shawn Springs ($10.25 million), quarterback Mark Brunell ($8.6 million), defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin ($8.3 million), linebacker Marcus Washington ($7 million) and defensive end Phillip Daniels ($3 million), the 'Skins head into the season with an NFL-record $120 million payroll.

Those six players will take up just $13.17 million of the 'Skins' $80.6 million cap allotment this season and $13.18 million next year. But because of dramatic salary escalations and roster bonuses that are due them in '06, their combined cap cost will jump to $25.9 million that year. Throw in linebacker LaVar Arrington, wide receiver Laveranues Coles and Thomas, and you've got nine guys who will occupy $46.8 million of the team's '06 cap. Given that the cap usually increases about $5 million a year, that will leave only about $43 million for the other 44 players on the club's roster. And that doesn't include "dead money'' - cap space taken up by leftover signing bonuses to players no longer with the team. Last year, the 'Skins had more than $114 million in "dead-money'' cap costs.

Cerrato, who once was Lou Holtz' recruiting coordinator at Notre Dame, insists that the Redskins have a larger window of opportunity than 2 years.

"We've got some things that we'll do [in '06],'' he said. "There will be some extensions and stuff on some guys. We've already got this budgeted out. It's not a concern for us. It seems more of a concern for you [media] guys, but not for us.''

NFL people familiar with the 'Skins' cap situation agree with the 2-year window estimate.

"There are two things that could affect their situation,'' one NFC general manager said. "If the league's collective bargaining agreement is extended in '06, how much does the cap jump? If it jumps enough, it could help Washington from being in a real mess to being in a modest one.

"The other thing that will make a big difference with them is how many of the players they've signed don't work out, like a [Jeremiah] Trotter. If there are a lot, they'll end up with a big miscellaneous charge, which, in essence, reduces your cap going forward. If Mark Brunell turns out not to be the answer, they could be looking at some huge write-offs. If any of that happens, it'll make their [cap] problem worse.''

Despite Snyder's annual offseason spending sprees, the 'Skins haven't had a winning season since 1999, which also is the last time they made the playoffs. There's a pretty good reason for that. Coaching has had something to do with it, but not nearly as much as poor decision-making by Snyder, Cerrato and the rest of the club's personnel department.

When you look at some of this year's acquisitions, that pattern hasn't seemed to change much.

They passed on free-agent cornerbacks Bobby Taylor and Troy Vincent and gave Springs, an oft-injured, inconsistent cover man who has started just 30 games the last 3 years and was suspended for four games in 2001 for violating the league's policy banning steroid use, a $10.25 million signing bonus.

They gave Griffin, who didn't play well for the Giants last year and had a career-low one sack, an $8.3 million signing bonus. They gave 31-year-old ex-Bear Daniels, who had just 2 ½ sacks last season, a $3 million signing bonus.

"Before we even traded Champ [bailey], we said we've gotta have some [replacement] options,'' Cerrato said, referring to the trade that sent cornerback Champ Bailey to Denver for Portis. "After evaluating the tape of Shawn, we decided that there was. Shawn was the guy we were targeting.

"Other people were offering him more money. We were comfortable with what we paid him. It doesn't matter if other people think we overspent. It doesn't matter if we raised some eyebrows. I guess we always do. But I'm sure eyebrows got raised when Philly gave [Jevon] Kearse all that money.''

The Bailey-for-Portis trade has given the Redskins a franchise running back who has rushed for more than 1,500 yards in each of his first two NFL seasons. But it has severely weakened the defense. Bailey was a shutdown corner. Few teams ever threw at him, which essentially took away half the field. Smoot was a capable No. 2 corner, but now he'll be going up against the other team's best receiver.

"I spent 3 years on the other side from Champ,'' Smoot said. "Nobody threw at Champ. They always went after me. I've already done the hard part.

"It's my time. I've been here with Champ and Darrell Green. Now, I've got a chance to show what I'm worth."

The clock is ticking.

What is with the "before the roster has to be dismantled" again........Sorry but our roster was never dismantled besides the 2000 season which included a bunch of players that didn't help one bit.........besides the outcome of that year and that year ALONE........there has been NO dismantling.

The team lacked both during Steve "The Ball Coach'' Spurrier's abysmal 2-year NFL hitch, which netted the 'Skins two losing seasons and Spurrier $25 million of Snyder's money.Last year, the 'Skins had more than $114 million in "dead-money'' cap costs.

The Bailey-for-Portis trade has given the Redskins a franchise running back who has rushed for more than 1,500 yards in each of his first two NFL seasons. But it has severely weakened the defense.

Paul Domowitch is uneducated when it comes to the nfl, and supposedly he is an nfl insider. He actually got paid for this garbage.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The Eagles watched their cap closely, came near to their goal and then decided they needed to start taking cap risks to try and get over the hump.

The Colts signed Peyton Manning to a contract that would seem to strangle the team in future years, especially if he gets hurt or is not the same player he is now.

The Raiders put together a veteran Super Bowl roster 2 years ago and then had to blow it up and start over again.

Such is life in the NFL :)

This article is nonsensical because at the same time the author chides the Redskins for spending money to assemble talent in 2004 to compete he notes the team 2-3 years from now may be in cap trouble.

Well, which team that strives to win and keep together a veteran roster for a run or two, does not end up having to retool or rebuild at some point?

The Eagles may have acquired Owens and Kearse, but they also said goodbye to Staley, Douglas, Vincent, Emmons and Taylor over time as well.

Teams that are in great cap shape like San Diego don't have much talent or hope of competing in 2004.

Perhaps the worst position to be in is the one that the Dolphins find themselves.

They have spent major money and made trades to try and compete right now and yet still seem to have a squad that is no better than .500.

That is the risk with spending the money. That you don't spend it wisely and end up with a cap strapped team that finishes 7-9.

But there are differences between the approaches coaches take in building a team.

Joe Gibbs went out and got Mark Brunell with his first move, making incumbent starter Patrick Ramsey the #2.

That is pretty solid depth.

Meanwhile, the Dolphins traded a #2 pick to the Eagles for career backup AJ Feeley and gave Jay Fiedler a contract extension before last season.

Which team to you seems to have the better 1-2 punch going forward? :)

My favorite part of the article is that they keep saying that nobody threw at Champ Bailey. Well, If I need to whip out the DVD's and take a look at the games last year. It didn't seem to me that any team was afraid of Champ Bailey. They all threw at him and with some success too. I know Champ is a very good CB. But to say he was a shutdown corner isn't an accurate statement.

Bailey is a good player. But agreed, to make him out to be an unstoppable force that teams trembled in their cleats to face (as has been described in the national media) is just ridiculous.

There is an elite group of corners I have seen over the years including Darrell and Deion, Mike Haynes, Lemar Parrish and Lem Barney.

Champ Bailey ain't in that class yet :)

This is a sweet retort in a Philly paper:

"Other people were offering him more money. We were comfortable with what we paid him. It doesn't matter if other people think we overspent. It doesn't matter if we raised some eyebrows. I guess we always do. But I'm sure eyebrows got raised when Philly gave [Jevon] Kearse all that money.''
:laugh:

Maybe Champ is a shut down corner. Everyone likes to give credit to how much better the CURRENT skins players, will be, with better coaching. And they were only that bad, becuase of spurrier. Everything that was wrong, was becuase of spurrier. Why is Champ not allowed to have that same card? Couldn't he have fallen victim to the same problem?

Originally posted by TenaciousB15

Maybe Champ is a shut down corner. Everyone likes to give credit to how much better the CURRENT skins players, will be, with better coaching. And they were only that bad, becuase of spurrier. Everything that was wrong, was becuase of spurrier. Why is Champ not allowed to have that same card? Couldn't he have fallen victim to the same problem?

Because Spurrier didn't coach the defense. Marvin Lewis did. Then George Edwards did. Under Lewis, Champ actually had his finest year. It was as fine a season as any corner has ever had from a coverage standpoint. Last year he struggled. But, it wasn't because he was used differently. He was struggled as teams found a weakness in his game. That weakness is his ability to react to balls. Champ is a true trail corner. A hip pocket guy. Teams started gutting him by slightly underthrown passes and Champ seemed oblivious to the possibility a ball would be thrown near him at times.

This is why we discussed teams clearly developing a book on Champ and in game after game using the same weakness to exploit him. Champ has to respond to that. It had nothing to do with Spurrier or Edwards. It had everything to do with Champ showing a somewhat odd lack of awareness on the field.

Originally posted by Art

He was struggled as teams found a weakness in his game. That weakness is his ability to react to balls.

ITA. Perhaps that's the same reason he didn't get many INT's? He just never reacted well to the ball. I wonder if he ever played offense? He seems to have no knack for making the catch.

Archived