Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Life of Pi: "I know a story that will make you believe in God."

Ancalagon the Black

Has anyone else here read Life of Pi, by Yann Martel? I just finished it last night. I was completely blown away.

The richness of the narrative, the innocence and wisdom of the main character, the deceptively simple depth to the storyline--it was all magnificent on an epic scale. I would not hesitate to recommend this book to anyone. While I could certainly quibble with a few details, it would be like taking exception to the style of sandpapering on the Sagrada Família.

Am I all alone in loving this book?

Originally posted by Hitman56

Why, does nothing happen for 2 hours and then there is some stupid little twist at the end?

:laugh: I had exactly that reaction when reading your post too, Dan T. No, it's not like that. It's better than any of his flicks, and I'm terrified at what he's going to do with it!

Johnny Punani, it didn't make me believe in anything I didn't already believe in, but it did give a glimpse of the sublime. That's the closest to the touch of God you can hope to get from a novel. :)

• 6 months later...

*Spoilers*

Great book. I prefer the story with the animals, but there is always the possibility that the trauma involved changed the people inolved to animals. It's kind of irksome, becuase you as the reader don't know in the end if Pi is a reliable narrator though he's very religious and honest as a person in general. The book is somewhat slow in the beginning and hammers in it's points about Pi's charracter, his piety and reverence for God are very prevalent, and one can make the argument that it helped save him. The books's slow beginning also seeks to give the reader a very good working knowledge of zoos. You could make the argument that this book is a staunch defender of zoos and a rebuke to organizations that plea about animals wanting to be 'free.'

Great story!

Originally posted by Ancalagon the Black

Has anyone else here read Life of Pi, by Yann Martel? I just finished it last night. I was completely blown away.

The richness of the narrative, the innocence and wisdom of the main character, the deceptively simple depth to the storyline--it was all magnificent on an epic scale. I would not hesitate to recommend this book to anyone. While I could certainly quibble with a few details, it would be like taking exception to the style of sandpapering on the Sagrada Família.

Am I all alone in loving this book?

Wow, that's quite a review. I guess I'll check it out. I had heard of it some months ago from a friend of mine, but the description of the actual story didn't seem all that captivating to me. I'll give it a shot after I'm through the book I'm currently reading.

Whoa, this thread got resurrected out of nowhere!

Originally posted by TheDoyler23

I prefer the story with the animals, but there is always the possibility that the trauma involved changed the people inolved to animals. It's kind of irksome, becuase you as the reader don't know in the end if Pi is a reliable narrator though he's very religious and honest as a person in general.

I believe that this is the point. I don't want to give away the ending, but the idea is that what we choose to believe ultimately determines the fulfillment we gain from life.

• 2 months later...

Having just finished the book, I'm bringing ithe thread back one more time....

I feel compelled to read it again, to see how Martel synthesizes the 'real' story with the animal story, and to see if the events truly line up. I'm also interested in seeing when and how Pi's use of the Richard Parker side of his character would have gotten him out of trouble. I know there are several times when he credits RP with saving his life - I'm wondering if it's only in instances where he's forced to kill or eat meat, or if it simply refers to his more bestial, atavistic side.

Also, I'm trying to figure out if there is a deeper meaning (or a 'real' story parallel) to my favorite (and the most horrifying, IMO) part of the story - the massive floating algae island.

I too would recommend this book - it's a quick and enjoyable read, but a book that has more depth than I first suspected.

Originally posted by Cool Hand Loki

Also, I'm trying to figure out if there is a deeper meaning (or a 'real' story parallel) to my favorite (and the most horrifying, IMO) part of the story - the massive floating algae island.

***spoiler***

It’s a really good question. My dimly remembered, and very superficial, take on it is that the island represents complacency/loss of hope. Pi thinks he could be happy on the island, but what has happened is that he’s abandoned his quest, which gave meaning and drive to all his actions. A complacent, rote existence is good for lemmings (were those the creatures?), but it will devour a human – or a tiger – from the inside.

Archived