Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***NEWS FLASH***Prosecution, Alleged Victim Agree to Drop Charge Against Kobe Bryant

TC4

Well, it's over:

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/US/kobe_bryant_dismiss_040901-1.html

Motion to Dismiss

Prosecution, Alleged Victim Agree to Drop Charge Against Kobe Bryant

ABC NEWS

By Ellen Davis and Bill Redeker

E A G L E, Colo., Sept. 1, 2004 — Prosecutors will file a motion this afternoon to dismiss the sexual assault charge against Kobe Bryant, according to sources familiar with the case.

The motion will say that both the alleged victim and Bryant agree to the request. Prosecutors will ask that it be dismissed with prejudice, meaning that the charge can never be brought again.

The judge must approve the request in order for the case to be dropped..

The agreement came about, in part, because of the alleged victim's reluctance to testify, sources familiar with the case told ABC News.

Opening statements in the case were expected to begin Tuesday, with prospective jurors being interviewed this week.

The Los Angeles Lakers star was accused of raping the young woman on June 30, 2003, at an Eagle resort where she worked and he was a guest. He pleaded not guilty.

Bryant, 26, has admitted having sex with the woman, who was 19 at the time, but claims it was consensual.

If convicted of felony sexual assault, he could have faced four years to life in prison or 20 years to life on probation, and a fine up to $750,000.

Originally posted by big z

the prosecutors want the right to bring him up on charges again in the future....so this quote is misleading....

They just talked about that on ESPNews and their legal guy, Roger Cossack said that if they did try to bring it at a later date, the judge would probally laugh them out of court

So.. all profesional athletes just got a "get out jail free card" for their next sexual assault.

Get a good enough lawyer, belittle the witness and question her motives... insinuate she's a sexual predator..... drudge up her previous sexual encounters and mental problems... and VOILA.... walk away "free at last".

Disgusting!!!! Eff Kobe

Originally posted by Cskin

So.. all profesional athletes just got a "get out jail free card" for their next sexual assault.

Get a good enough lawyer, belittle the witness and question her motives... insinuate she's a sexual predator..... drudge up her previous sexual encounters and mental problems... and VOILA.... walk away "free at last".

Disgusting!!!! Eff Kobe

Uh, heard of Jerome Bettis?

Dude was going to have his life ruined until they found out it was a setup to extort money?

"previous sexual encounters?" Uh, you mean in temporal proximity to the incident? Her attention-getting with suicide attempts and the like? Come on, are you allowed to mount a defense in this country if you're a man of accused of rape.

Disgusting!!!! Eff Kobe

Eff you. There is a presumption of innocence in this country. And yes a psycho who had sex the day after she was "raped" and who tried to commit suicide multiple times to get attention from her boyfriend is not a reliable witness.

Innocent til proven guilty

You obviously have never seen bimbos/groupies and fans from all walks of life throw themselves at athletes.

When Michael Jordan was in Miami against the heat and this hotter than hot brunette with major headlights was making it be known that he could take her home.

Heck here in DC fairly decent guys are chased and if you are married it doesnt matter

Disgusting!!!! Eff Kobe

Although I understand your anger towards the super rich celebrity status types I don't believe that this is a good case to hang your hat on. The accusers reputation preceeder her and was IMO germaine to the case against Kobe.

this is great. the b!tch was out of her mind. according to her roomate, she conspired to try to get ****ed by eminem and she and her friend conspired to get effed by famous ppl. wut a disgusting woman. ppl like her give our country a bad name as morally filthy around the world.

I have to ask this question just from an ethical standpoint. Would receiving money from Kobe in an out-of-court settlement, in lieu of a civil trial, make her a prostitute? Technically, I know it doesn't but, morally, she is accepting money for having sex with him.

Originally posted by Jimbo

I have to ask this question just from an ethical standpoint. Would receiving money from Kobe in an out-of-court settlement, in lieu of a civil trial, make her a prostitute? Technically, I know it doesn't but, morally, she is accepting money for having sex with him.

If you cannot tell the difference between receiving (inadequate) compensation for an involuntary violation of your person and the free exchange of money for sex, then you have serious problems.

EDIT: If you are making this argument from a presumption that Kobe did not do it, then that is another matter. But you should clearly state that assumption.

Originally posted by Ancalagon the Black

If you cannot tell the difference between receiving (inadequate) compensation for an involuntary violation of your person and the free exchange of money for sex, then you have serious problems.

And just who says it was involuntary? Kobe proved himself to be a lousy husband but you can't, in any way, shape or form, say for certain it wasn't voluntary now that the charges are dropped.

Now that this case is dismissed, if she proceeds with a civil suit, the accusations will surely fly that she is a golddigger and only wanted money all along.

Originally posted by Jimbo

And just who says it was involuntary? Kobe proved himself to be a lousy husband but you can't, in any way, shape or form, say for certain it wasn't voluntary now that the charges are dropped.

Now that this case is dismissed, if she proceeds with a civil suit, the accusations will surely fly that she is a golddigger and only wanted money all along.

I had edited my post to take into account the fact that you might be assuming that it was voluntary.

If it were voluntary, then I would argue that she is MUCH WORSE than a prostitute. Prostitution is a victimless crime. In this case, she would be not only receiving money for sex, but also (probably permanently) damaging an innocent man's reputation as well.

(Innocent of crime, that is, not morally innocent.)

If it were voluntary, then I would argue that she is MUCH WORSE than a prostitute. Prostitution is a victimless crime. In this case, she would be not only receiving money for sex, but also (probably permanently) damaging an innocent man's reputation as well.

I believe many think this to be true. I'm inclined towards this position too. She's already recieved money from the State for her "claim".

Prostitution is a victimless crime.

No it's not. All around the world right now prostitutes are being made. All it takes is a family willing to sell you, or a dark room a needle and a few weeks.

While many are no doubt happy with their life style the sex business is far from victimless.

Archived