Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP:Mitchell, WR Russell Among Redskins Cut

spanishomelette

Will the skins defense be at least #7 in the nfl?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Will the skins defense be at least #7 in the nfl?

• yes
    • no

Mitchell, WR Russell Among Redskins Cut

Associated Press

Sunday, August 29, 2004; 7:16 PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A45037-2004Aug29.html

ASHBURN, Va. - Middle linebacker Kevin Mitchell and wide receiver Cliff Russell were among 10 cuts made Sunday as the Washington Redskins started to trim their roster before Tuesday's deadline.

Washington has four more players to cut as all teams must have their rosters down to 65 players by 4 p.m. Tuesday.

Mitchell, a 10-year veteran, had his best year in 2001 when he made 82 tackles. The following season the Redskins signed Jeremiah Trotter from the Eagles, who was released in the offseason -- a move that led to the signing of Mike Barrow from the New York Giants.

Mitchell started in Washington's preseason opener because the 34-year-old Barrow had tendinitis in his knee. However, Mitchell was soon pushed down the depth chart behind Antonio Pierce, who has more speed than Mitchell and better fits into the attacking defense designed by assistant head coach for defense Gregg Williams.

"Ever since Mike came I kind of figured it would happen eventually," Mitchell said Sunday. "It would be kind of odd to have two older guys on the same team, especially at the middle linebacker spot. I make plays when I have to, but he's the defensive coordinator and he's entitled to pick the guys that he wants to be on the team."

Russell, a third-round pick of the Redskins in the 2002 draft, simply had a hard time getting on the field. A knee injury ended the quick, yet unpolished receiver's rookie season and he has been hampered with a hamstring injury throughout training camp this year.

"I kind of had a feeling it was coming. I didn't do enough to show that they need me on this team," said Russell, who made two catches during his time with Washington. "I still think that this is going to be my year, obviously maybe not here. The main thing is that I'm thankful the organization has been patient with me throughout all the injuries."

The receiver group seems fairly solidified with Laveraneus Coles, Rod Gardner, James Thrash and Darnerien McCants all solidly in place and 2003 second-round pick Taylor Jacobs starting to make more plays in the preseason.

Coach Joe Gibbs said that trimming the rosters, especially getting rid of experienced players, is still a part of the job he dreads.

"It's the worst part of what we do," Gibbs said. "That's extremely tough, the veterans guys who are real good guys. It's always harder there because they've made it."

Other players cut Sunday by Washington:

Defensive linemen

Nic Clemons,

Greg White

and Norman Heuer;

linebacker

Billy Strother;

defensive backs

Ryan Clark

and Michael Hall;

wide receivers

Justin Standeford

and Scott Cloman.

Glad to see Russell on the list, the kid had great speed but no hands!! I'm hoping they put Jimoh on the list next, the guy cant cover wallpaper!!

I really hope the reciever from Maryland makes the practice squad he seems like a sleeper and could quite possibly help us in the long run. jmho.

Agreed bubba. All these guys have worked their asses off all their lives to even get a shot to play in the NFL,( something I dare say most of us wish we could have done or do), and now find that for one reason or another, that the dream of playing is gone or at least fleeting. Some may not play that well, ( like Jimoh), and some just aren't good enough to play, (almost the same thing), but I'll be damned if I take any pleasure in seeing any of them cut, regardless of circumstances. But that's just me. :)

Mitchell, WR Russell Among Redskins Cut

Associated Press

Sunday, August 29, 2004; 7:16 PM

Middle linebacker Kevin Mitchell and wide receiver Cliff Russell were among 10 cuts made Sunday as the Washington Redskins started to trim their roster before Tuesday's deadline.

Washington has four more players to cut as all teams must have their rosters down to 65 players by 4 p.m. Tuesday.

Mitchell, a 10-year veteran, had his best year in 2001 when he made 82 tackles. The following season the Redskins signed Jeremiah Trotter from the Eagles, who was released in the offseason -- a move that led to the signing of Mike Barrow from the New York Giants.

Mitchell started in Washington's preseason opener because the 34-year-old Barrow had tendinitis in his knee. However, Mitchell was soon pushed down the depth chart behind Antonio Pierce, who has more speed than Mitchell and better fits into the attacking defense designed by assistant head coach for defense Gregg Williams.

"Ever since Mike came I kind of figured it would happen eventually," Mitchell said Sunday. "It would be kind of odd to have two older guys on the same team, especially at the middle linebacker spot. I make plays when I have to, but he's the defensive coordinator and he's entitled to pick the guys that he wants to be on the team."

Russell, a third-round pick of the Redskins in the 2002 draft, simply had a hard time getting on the field. A knee injury ended the quick, yet unpolished receiver's rookie season and he has been hampered with a hamstring injury throughout training camp this year.

"I kind of had a feeling it was coming. I didn't do enough to show that they need me on this team," said Russell, who made two catches during his time with Washington. "I still think that this is going to be my year, obviously maybe not here. The main thing is that I'm thankful the organization has been patient with me throughout all the injuries."

The receiver group seems fairly solidified with Laveraneus Coles, Rod Gardner, James Thrash and Darnerien McCants all solidly in place and 2003 second-round pick Taylor Jacobs starting to make more plays in the preseason.

Coach Joe Gibbs said that trimming the rosters, especially getting rid of experienced players, is still a part of the job he dreads.

"It's the worst part of what we do," Gibbs said. "That's extremely tough, the veterans guys who are real good guys. It's always harder there because they've made it."

Other players cut Sunday by Washington: Defensive linemen Nic Clemons, Greg White and Norman Heuer; linebacker Billy Strother; defensive backs Ryan Clark and Michael Hall; wide receivers Justin Standeford and Scott Cloman.

It's kind of sad to see Mitchell getting cut. In a different environment he probably could have been a pretty productive player but unfortunately he was always the victim of roster moves the FO made.

I agree, laurent.

The guy has been a class act and played well, in my opinion. In fact, he played better during Marty's year with the 'Skins

than any MLB we've had in quite a while.

I think he's a Gibbs type player, but, you can't keep 'em all.

Originally posted by Cskin

Jimoh's going to make this team... I can feel it. The kid just needs seasoning... and proper coaching... and he'll get that from Gibbs' staff.

Cskin, I'm shocked that you like this kid so much. :laugh:

Usually we're on the same wavelength, but not this time. I don't think Jimoh's performance has done anything to merit a spot on this football team. He just doesn't have 'it'. He's not clutch, doesn't make plays, though he must be a superb pratice player for the coaches to overlook his on-field performance.

I'll eat serious crow if he ever becomes a contributor, but judging by his play he ought not be on this team. Rufus Brown has looked better to me. Jimoh doesn't stand out on special teams either, which I'd imagine would be the only way he'd make this squad that's already 5 deep at corner..

Archived