Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(supermerge) The LaVar injury thread

skinsfan12

HOW SERIOUS IS IT?

In a mild (first degree) sprain, you may experience some pain on bearing weight, little to no stiffness and swelling, and some stretching of the ligaments. In a second-degree sprain, there may be instability of the joint, with torn ligament fibers, bruising, swelling and stiffness, and severe pain. The most serious sprain (third degree) involves complete rupture of a ligament, extreme pain at the moment of damage followed by no pain, bruising and severe amounts of swelling

Some light reading betweein anxiety attacks and any news that ends up on the net that Bubba will be quick to post.

Everything you wanted to know about the knee but didn't know to ask.

Soft tissue ligament sprains / tears are the most common form of knee injury.

The knee is at it's most stable and resistant to injury in full extension (straight), and whilst in the locked home position (the femur turns inwards on the tibia during the last few degrees of extension).

It is most vulnerable in the flexed position, particularly to rotation injuries.

Ligament injuries can be classified as 1st, 2nd or 3rd degree sprains:-

1st degree sprain

Clinical Features - Only a few fibres of the ligament are torn. Pain is reproduced by stressing the suspected ligament. Tenderness and swelling is localised to the site of the injury, usually over the bony attachment points of the ligament concerned. Applying a valgus strain causes pain on the inside of the knee when the medial collateral is sprained. Applying a varus strain causes poain on the outside of the knee when the lateral collateral is sprained.

Management - Protect the knee from further injury for 24 hours. Apply ice to the sprain to reduce pain and swelling. Complete rest is inadvisable - isometric quadriceps exercises are useful in maintaining good muscle bulk and tone. Normal activities can normally be resumed when the pain and swelling has resolved. Prolotherapy may be useful for persistent pain.

2nd degree sprain

Clinical Features - A greater degree of ligament fibre tearing occurs, short of being a full rupture. It may be associated with damage to other articular structures. May be associated with a haemarthrosis (bleeding into the joint) or a joint effusion (clear fluid swelling). Clinical assessment may be more difficult due to the greater degree of pain, swelling and disability.

Management - initially as for 1st degree sparins. Large effusions / haemarthroses should be drained. If pain and instability persist, further investigation with an MRI scan is advised to check on the other intra-articular structures. Prolotherapy to the affected ligament may be helpful.

3rd degree sprains

Clinical Features - There is complete rupture of the ligament concerned. The medial collateral ligament tears at its upper femoral condyle attachment, whilst the lateral collateral ligament tears at its lower fibular attachment. A small fragment of bone (seen on x-ray) may be avulsed with the ligament at the time of injury. A greater degree of pain, swelling and disability is seen. Stress x-rays in varus and valgus can reveal opening up of the joint space on the side with the complete rupture. Damage to other intra-articular structures is common.

Management - Investigation with an MRI scan and surgical repair reconstruction is the treament of choice for complete ruptures.

:)

If this is the same injured knee that he hurt a couple of days ago and sat out practice, than he is ok. I am assuming it is the same injury. Small print of the Post had him out of practice with a knee injury today or yesterday. He went in for an MRI and everything looked ok. The Redskins didn't say anthing that I could find the day it happened. He could play this weekend if this was a regular season game.

Originally posted by soljaofjesus

HOW SERIOUS IS IT?

In a mild (first degree) sprain, you may experience some pain on bearing weight, little to no stiffness and swelling, and some stretching of the ligaments. In a second-degree sprain, there may be instability of the joint, with torn ligament fibers, bruising, swelling and stiffness, and severe pain. The most serious sprain (third degree) involves complete rupture of a ligament, extreme pain at the moment of damage followed by no pain, bruising and severe amounts of swelling

I lived through 3rd degree -- I actually had my ACL detach not just tear. And I would like to say there was very little swelling -- but the pain the next day sucked more than the pain when it happened.

According to the notes at the end of this article from the AP, Lavar is expected back at practice on monday. whew.

http://www.wvec.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D84IJOSO1.html

Redskins seek cohesion despite injuries

08/19/2004

Associated Press

The Redskins need to be smart. With 10 projected starters held out of at least one practice this week, most with minor injuries, the team doesn't want to risk further problems. So players will be rested occasionally.

They need to be impatient. With 11 possible new starters, a new coaching staff and new systems to learn, there's little time to waste. So the Redskins can't afford many days like Tuesday, when 18 players missed practice with injuries. Or like Thursday morning when another 10 sat out. Or like previous days when as many as 14 were sidelined.

On Tuesday, nine expected starters were held out. The good news for Washington is that starting middle linebacker Mike Barrow is the only player who has missed consistently. Barrow hasn't practiced in at least two weeks because of tendinitis in a knee.

"You are concerned because we have a large number," Redskins coach Joe Gibbs said. "We have to see how they bounce back. But it's something that we're trying to be smart about.

"I'd say it's the number one thing in football that a coach has a dreaded fear of, how much do you work, how hard and do you back off and not develop things you want to develop."

Right tackle Jon Jansen, who ruptured his Achilles' tendon in the preseason opener against Denver, is the only starter out for the season.

But right guard Randy Thomas sat out two practices earlier this week because of a sore knee and often rests as a precaution. Jansen's replacement, Kenyatta Jones, has bone spurs in his foot and, according to assistant head coach of offense Joe Bugel, is only 85 percent healthy.

Right defensive end Phillip Daniels missed the first two preseason games with an abdominal strain. Defensive tackle Brandon Noble, coming off a career-threatening knee injury, broke his right hand two weeks ago. And defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin missed two days this week with a groin injury.

"You always like to become comfortable with the guy next to you," said defensive line coach Greg Blache. "But it's not as critical on the defensive line as it is on the offensive line, where you're dealing with stunts. It's not the same degree of difficulty.

"I'd like to get them all on the field. But sometimes you have to look at the big picture and recognize the ultimate goal is to get them for 16 weeks during the regular season."

Gibbs conducts strenuous practices, but that's not why so many players have missed time. In some cases, players such as Barrow and Daniels tweaked previous injuries. Others, such as Jansen and reserve tight end Fred Baxter, were hurt in games. A few are rested as a precaution. There's also the typical assortment of training camp pains.

"There are a lot of guys with minor injuries," Thomas said. "But if you put them out there when they're hurt, it gets worse. It's just being smart."

Former Redskins loved Gibbs for understanding the pace of a season, knowing when to ease up and when to push hard. But this time around, his players must learn a new system. And start to build on-field chemistry.

As a middle linebacker, Barrow is central to the defense. Though he's considered a strong student of the game, it's more difficult to get a feel for teammates when you can't play. But Barrow, at 34, has seen enough through the years not to panic.

"Teams that stay healthy are the ones that have success in this league," Barrow said. "But I have no worries. We've still got time. It can happen in one week. We had one practice this week that I think helped lead us in that direction. It was very spirited and very physical. That brings teams together."

They've also found a way to turn this into a positive.

"The biggest thing this gives us is a chance to work on our depth," Bugel said. "This doesn't affect us at all, not this time of the year."

NOTES

Linebacker LaVar Arrington has a first-degree sprain of his left knee and won't play at Miami on Saturday. But he's expected to return to practice Monday. Other players who won't play Saturday: linebacker Mike Barrow (knee), corner Rashad Bauman (hamstring), tight end Fred Baxter (knee), linebacker Chris Clemons (hamstring), receiver Cliff Russell (hamstring) and running back Ladell Betts (hamstring). Also, receiver Darnerien McCants (ankle/knee) will be re-evaluated Friday to determine his status. . . . Toronto Blue Jays outfielder Reed Johnson and third-base coach Brian Butterfield visited Redskins Park for the 9 a.m. practice this morning, less than six hours after the Blue Jays reached their Baltimore hotel. Johnson grew up a Redskins fan in California and took advantage of a day off before Toronto opens a three-game series against the Orioles. "I can't describe the feeling," he said after meeting coach Joe Gibbs. "To see someone like that, it's awesome."

Ok its good. I nearly sheet my pants when fox announced it. They newscasters had serious and sad faces and when i heard his name i thought they were going to say torn ACL but they said injured his ACL. I was like what the hell?!!! Can you be any more specific!!!

Archived