Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP email exclusive: Mark Maske: Don't Panic,Yet

bubba9497

Don't Panic,Yet

So is it time for ardent Washington Redskins followers to be alarmed about the ragged look of the team's offense in two preseason games? Not yet.

And it's not so much about Coach Joe Gibbs's desire to run a "vanilla" offense during the exhibition season to keep his secrets safe for the regular season. It's about Gibbs sticking to the basics so that he can evaluate players.

Once the games begin to count, Gibbs undoubtedly will come up with a weekly offensive wrinkle or two for which his opponent didn't prepare. That was the hallmark of his first go-around with the Redskins that produced three Super Bowl titles.

For now, though, Gibbs isn't even trying to do that. His offense is running the most basic of plays, with the simplest of blocking schemes. Gibbs's coaches know that they could help players with a more creative scheme, but they don't want to do that in the preseason because that way they wouldn't necessarily find out which of their players can really play and which can't. So, the coaches have their blockers lining up and going head to head with defenders to see which players win the individual battles.

The truly meaningful work of installing the real offense now is being done in closed-door practices. Gibbs probably will have to show just a bit more of his hand as the preseason progresses so that his players get to work on some things under game conditions. But people in the inner circle at Redskins Park aren't worried -- although they would like to see better execution of the simple plays by the front-line offensive players. Quarterback Mark Brunell finally took a step forward with his 61-yard touchdown strike to wide receiver Darnerien McCants in the third quarter of Saturday night's 23-20 overtime loss to the Carolina Panthers at FedEx Field.

But the other competitor in the starting-quarterback derby, Patrick Ramsey, continues to struggle. Ramsey appears to be playing to avoid mistakes instead of cutting loose on his throws, and he has done nothing to take advantage of Brunell's early-camp struggles. He probably must score a decisive victory to take the job from the veteran.

At least now the murmurs about Tim Hasselbeck entering the quarterback competition can cease after his two-interception outing Saturday.

Going, Going ...

There is growing impatience at Redskins Park with safety Ifeanyi Ohalete, the former starter who lost his job to Andre Lott (and, soon, to Sean Taylor) and his jersey number to Clinton Portis. He was beaten for one of the two long touchdown catches by Panthers rookie wide receiver Keary Colbert on Saturday. Coaches have become increasingly disenchanted with his attitude, and he could be released even before the NFL-mandated roster cutdowns if he doesn't pull things together quickly.

--By Mark Maske

Originally posted by herrmag

Wow, I wasn't aware that Ohalete had an attitude problem. However, I'm not surprised that he may be cut, but I thought it would be for his lack of talent. I never have been able to figure out why people think he is great :whoknows:

Because this is Washington, DC and rooting for the underdog is a DC pasttime... :laugh:

Nick

Originally posted by herrmag

I never have been able to figure out why people think he is great :whoknows:

Me and you both. He does show flashes where he has a nose for the ball, but I never really understood those who thought he was SO MUCH better than Bowen.

Originally posted by bubba9497

Don't Panic,Yet

So is it time for ardent Washington Redskins followers to be alarmed about the ragged look of the team's offense in two preseason games? Not yet.

And it's not so much about Coach Joe Gibbs's desire to run a "vanilla" offense during the exhibition season to keep his secrets safe for the regular season. It's about Gibbs sticking to the basics so that he can evaluate players.

Once the games begin to count, Gibbs undoubtedly will come up with a weekly offensive wrinkle or two for which his opponent didn't prepare. That was the hallmark of his first go-around with the Redskins that produced three Super Bowl titles.

For now, though, Gibbs isn't even trying to do that. His offense is running the most basic of plays, with the simplest of blocking schemes. Gibbs's coaches know that they could help players with a more creative scheme, but they don't want to do that in the preseason because that way they wouldn't necessarily find out which of their players can really play and which can't. So, the coaches have their blockers lining up and going head to head with defenders to see which players win the individual battles.

The truly meaningful work of installing the real offense now is being done in closed-door practices. Gibbs probably will have to show just a bit more of his hand as the preseason progresses so that his players get to work on some things under game conditions. But people in the inner circle at Redskins Park aren't worried -- although they would like to see better execution of the simple plays by the front-line offensive players. Quarterback Mark Brunell finally took a step forward with his 61-yard touchdown strike to wide receiver Darnerien McCants in the third quarter of Saturday night's 23-20 overtime loss to the Carolina Panthers at FedEx Field.

But the other competitor in the starting-quarterback derby, Patrick Ramsey, continues to struggle. Ramsey appears to be playing to avoid mistakes instead of cutting loose on his throws, and he has done nothing to take advantage of Brunell's early-camp struggles. He probably must score a decisive victory to take the job from the veteran.

At least now the murmurs about Tim Hasselbeck entering the quarterback competition can cease after his two-interception outing Saturday.

Going, Going ...

There is growing impatience at Redskins Park with safety Ifeanyi Ohalete, the former starter who lost his job to Andre Lott (and, soon, to Sean Taylor) and his jersey number to Clinton Portis. He was beaten for one of the two long touchdown catches by Panthers rookie wide receiver Keary Colbert on Saturday. Coaches have become increasingly disenchanted with his attitude, and he could be released even before the NFL-mandated roster cutdowns if he doesn't pull things together quickly.

--By Mark Maske

Of all the local sports writers we have to trust with information, Mark Maske should be the most trusted. He has given such good reports in the past & has had some good analysis & inside info. It is good to know that they aren't too worried at Redskins Park. Hopefully, enough people will read this article by Mr. Maske & trust what he says, because I'm sure he is starting to hear the grumbling as well.

:helmet: :D

I like Franz as a backup. I like Lott a lot more this year than I have in the past. I think he's finally playing a little more confidently.

Franz and Lott as our backups would be fine with Bowen (who is average) and Taylor (who could be special) as the starters. Couple them with Smoot and Springs who are both above average and we have a strong secondary!

Look for Bowen to have some pressure taken off of him as soon as Taylor breaks the starting line-up. It just seems that he has more ground to cover working w/ a player like Lott.

BTW, has anyone been impressed w/ Lott's play? I didn't really see SAT night's game, but in the HOF game, he was terrible at run support. Why are we starting him? Because of his coverage ability? To be a nickel/dime back?

Originally posted by ktball74

I would bet he wouldn't be unemployed long, and could probably end up in Cincy, Cleveland, or somewhere that needs a decent starting Safety.

If that was the case, someone would have picked him up earlier because he had a cheap tender and everyone knew the 'Skins wanted Taylor (hence, move Bowen to SS).

No one even wanted to take on the meager tender Iffy was offerred. He tested the market, got no interest and finally signed the tender sheet. I expect trying to play the market after getting cut won't fare a whole lot better. You never know, though.

Nick

I think we're seeing a guy whose position has been changed - and he's finding it difficult to adapt. Iffy is a solid player, and could start for several clubs, but he's not a very good coverage guy, and I think that's shown in both games thus far.

BD

Don't Panic,Yet

What's this. Rhyme to the reason? We may be looking at the wrong things here? Premature panicing? Say it isn't so. ;)

Archived