Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Time Cover Songs

Dan T.

originally posted by gbear

I'm not sure who the woman is who does it, but the version on country stations of "When you say nothing at all" is even better than the 70s version.

gbear, that was probably Alison Krauss & Union Station that you were hearing.

originally posted by Park City Skins

Speaking of the Kinks, how about Power Station's Get it on.

Oh I love that song :)

How about four recent cover versions:

Johnny Cash's cover of Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt"

Devo's cover of the Rolling Stones' "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" - totally took the song in a different direction - either you love it or you hate it

Tori Amos' cover of Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit"

Dixie Chicks' version of Fleetwood Mac's "Landslide"

And what about two of the most famous cover songs of all time???

Aretha Franklin's signature tune, "Respect", originally recorded by Otis Redding

Marvin Gaye "I Heard It Through The Grapevine", originally recorded by Gladys Knight and the Pips - I love both versions because they are so different

Awful remakes:

Love Spit Love's version of "How Soon Is Now", originally recorded (masterfully!) by The Smiths. Whoever told them that this was a good idea should be shot.

No Doubt's cover of "It's My Life", originally recorded by Talk Talk.

Limp Bizkit's cover of The Who's "Behind Blue Eyes"

Sixpence None the Richer's cover of the La's "There She Goes"

Madonna's version of "American Pie"

almost any cover of a Leonard Cohen song

Originally posted by jenmdixon

gbear, that was probably Alison Krauss & Union Station that you were hearing.

Oh I love that song :)

How about four recent cover versions:

Johnny Cash's cover of Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt"

Devo's cover of the Rolling Stones' "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" - totally took the song in a different direction - either you love it or you hate it

Tori Amos' cover of Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit"

Dixie Chicks' version of Fleetwood Mac's "Landslide"

Aretha Franklin's signature tune, "Respect", originally recorded by Otis Redding

Marvin Gaye "I Heard It Through The Grapevine", originally recorded by Gladys Knight and the Pips - I love both versions because they are so different

Awful remakes:

Love Spit Love's version of "How Soon Is Now", originally recorded (masterfully!) by The Smiths. Whoever told them that this was a good idea should be shot.

No Doubt's cover of "It's My Life", originally recorded by Talk Talk.

Limp Bizkit's cover of The Who's "Behind Blue Eyes"

Sixpence None the Richer's cover of the La's "There She Goes"

Madonna's version of "American Pie"

almost any cover of a Leonard Cohen song

You have got to be kidding me. The Dixie Chicks destroyed that song. They are a bunch of no talent ass clowns. If you want to hear an excellent cover of the song, listen to the Smashing Pumpkins version. It's better than the original.

Good call, Jen.

Guest Matt Kyriacou

REM's cover of "King of the Road" by Roger Miller from their album "Dead Letter Office".

Originally posted by Mufumonk

You have got to be kidding me. The Dixie Chicks destroyed that song. They are a bunch of no talent ass clowns. If you want to hear an excellent cover of the song, listen to the Smashing Pumpkins version. It's better than the original.

To each his own.

I liked their version. I also liked the Smashing Pumpkins version and I loved the original.

As for your comments about them being 'no talent ass clowns', well, that's your opinion. I don't happen to share it - they are quite talented, even if you do not appreciate their music that they put out. All three have worked with many other country and bluegrass artists on material. I don't think they would be in demand if they were that untalented. Country and bluegrass (especially) do not work with those who have a lack of talent.

Anyway. Onward.

Guest Matt Kyriacou

I disagree.

The Dixie Chicks are no talent ass hats.

To each his own.

I liked their version. I also liked the Smashing Pumpkins version and I loved the original.

As for your comments about them being 'no talent ass clowns', well, that's your opinion. I don't happen to share it - they are quite talented, even if you do not appreciate their music that they put out. All three have worked with many other country and bluegrass artists on material. I don't think they would be in demand if they were that untalented. Country and bluegrass (especially) do not work with those who have a lack of talent.

Anyway. Onward.

Personally, I have very little respect for country music today. It's as bad as pop. Just a bunch of pretty faces on stage, while having someone else write your music for you. They lack creativity and originality.

Guest Matt Kyriacou

Personally, I have very little respect for country music today. It's as bad as pop. Just a bunch of pretty faces on stage, while having someone else write your music for you. They lack creativity and originality.

Toby Keith and Alan Jackson write all of their own music. And each of them is pretty original.

Mr Tambourine Man by William Shatner.. quite possibly the worst record in existence.. and for that deserves mention.

His version of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" is also classic, as is Jack Webb (Sgt. Joe Friday of Dragnet fame) doing "Try a Little Tenderness". (Which is a real record, lest anyone think i am joking.)

~Bang

Not all country music is this way - only the (mostly) garbage you will hear on a country music radio station. Radio is radio - they only play the most sanitized crap they can find to chase ratings.

There are many many country artists that are pushing the envelope, who write their own music and lyrics, and who have heaps of talent.

I hope that you aren't one of the ones who also was dismissing 'rap'/hiphip music. All genres have their good and bad points. Just because you don't want to look for the good artists and the good music doens't mean it's not there!

One album I am pretty excited about is Loretta Lynn's new album, which was produced by Jack Black from the White Stripes. I haven't bought it yet, but I plan on it - I've heard many clips from it and it sounds great.

===

Back to the original topic of the thread.

Other cover songs I just thought of that I happen to like are:

Ray Charles' versions of "Do I Ever Cross Your Mind" (originally by Dolly Parton), "Ring of Fire" (originally by Johnny Cash) and "Take Me Home, Country Roads" (originally by John Denver)

Belle Stars' cover of "Iko Iko" by Doctor John

Not all country music is this way - only the (mostly) garbage you will hear on a country music radio station. Radio is radio - they only play the most sanitized crap they can find to chase ratings.

There are many many country artists that are pushing the envelope, who write their own music and lyrics, and who have heaps of talent.

I hope that you aren't one of the ones who also was dismissing 'rap'/hiphip music. All genres have their good and bad points. Just because you don't want to look for the good artists and the good music doens't mean it's not there!

One album I am pretty excited about is Loretta Lynn's new album, which was produced by Jack Black from the White Stripes. I haven't bought it yet, but I plan on it - I've heard many clips from it and it sounds great.

===

Back to the original topic of the thread.

Other cover songs I just thought of that I happen to like are:

Ray Charles' versions of "Do I Ever Cross Your Mind" (originally by Dolly Parton), "Ring of Fire" (originally by Johnny Cash) and "Take Me Home, Country Roads" (originally by John Denver)

Belle Stars' cover of "Iko Iko" by Doctor John

I grew up listening to Rap/Hiphop. There are plenty of rappers that I would consider true artists. Guys like Erik Sermon, Mos Def, Wu Tang, etc.... Sadly, the radio is flooded with trash like Lil John these days. I explore all types of music, and rarely do so by listening to the radio. I just haven't been able to find anyone in the country genre that actually moved me with the exception of Willie Nelson.

Bob Dylan was the first to record it, but he actually stole it from Ritchie Haven

OK Riggo, you're going to have to explain this one to me. I'm a big Dylan fan and this is the first time I have heard this suggested. Do you have a source?

BTW The official richie havens site gives Dylan as the writing credit on his 1987 album Sings Beatles and Dylan version of AATW

Another new cover I think rocks is Aerosmith's cover of Baby Please Don't Go. They added a harder sound, and I think it works really well.

And, already mentioned, I'll have to agree with Garth Brooks' cover of Hard Luck Woman. May be better than the original.

Archived