Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Time Cover Songs

Dan T.

Originally posted by smsmith40

OK Riggo, you're going to have to explain this one to me. I'm a big Dylan fan and this is the first time I have heard this suggested. Do you have a source?

BTW The official richie havens site gives Dylan as the writing credit on his 1987 album Sings Beatles and Dylan version of AATW

Okay, I got this straight from Richie Havens himself. Seriously. Honestly.

I saw him in concert a few years back when he was touring with Tom Jones, Janis Ian, and Vance Gilbert (my wife wanted to go).

Anyway, Richie told a story about how he had been playing this song in a New York cafe for a long time back when the folk scene was just starting out. One day a kid that was often in his audience came up to him and said he really liked the tune, and asked Richie Havens if he would write down the lyrics for him, which Havens did Well, the kid turned out to be Bob Dylan, and he turned around and recorded the song, which was All Along the Watchtower.

This is Richie Havens' version of events. Straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak. So either, it's true, or he was lying.

I report; you decide.

Superstitious by Beck Bogert and Appice (as well as the SRV version)

Don't kill me for this one, but.... Hazy Shade of Winter, the Bangles version. I know, I know, the friggin cheesy Bangles. But their producer got the perfect arrangement for that song, and the riff sounds so much better on electric guitar.

Higher Ground - Red Hot Chili Peppers

Anyway, Richie told a story about how he had been playing this song in a New York cafe for a long time back when the folk scene was just starting out. One day a kid that was often in his audience came up to him and said he really liked the tune, and asked Richie Havens if he would write down the lyrics for him, which Havens did Well, the kid turned out to be Bob Dylan, and he turned around and recorded the song, which was All Along the Watchtower.

Yeah, Some further research today (yes, I am that obsessive) has turned up a few stories that very much match yours. However, in no case I have turned up does Haven actually mention the name of the song. He tells a version of the story in which the detials vary and then sings a Dylan song, usually watchtower but sometimes Hard Rain and lets the audience make the connection.

The things it is important to remember is that Watchtower was recorded in 1967 by Dylan. By that point he had been one of the biggest stars on the planet for 4 years. 1967 is the same year that Havens releases his first album which includes a cover of Dylan's Just Like a Woman. In addition Dylan was on a world tour through most of 1965 and 66 then holed up in woodstock following his motorcycle accident. To my knowledge he wasn't trawling the Greenwich Village scene during this time, he certainly wasn't "some kid"

What Haven would be claiming is that the unknown Dylan heard the song in 1962ish and then kept it for 5 years, while Haven was singing it all the while. I can't believe nobody would have remembered Haven singing this incredible song 5 years before Dylan released it. Not only that, but one of the worlds most famous Dylan cover artists wouldn't have made a fuss at some point during the next 30 yearsbefore he starts mentioning it in some shows (the 1st instance I can find is in 1996).

I think its a fun story he likes to tell. Apparently the difinitive version of the story is in the booklet that accompanies Havens' 1987 album "Sings Beatles and Dylan". I don't suppose you have the album? I can't find anybody else who does..

"(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding", originally by Nick Lowe, covered by Elvis Costello, then by Midnight Oil, then by Curtis Stigers (among many)

and of course, you can put this on 'awful' cover songs too, depending on your taste - Whitney Houston's cover of the Dolly Parton song "I Will Always Love You", and her cover of Jeffrey Osbourne's "The Greatest Love Of All"

And lastly, Tina Turner's career saving cover of "Let's Stay Together", Al Green's staple song

Originally posted by BudMan8

Another new cover I think rocks is Aerosmith's cover of Baby Please Don't Go. They added a harder sound, and I think it works really well.

Definately agree here. This is a great cover, the whole album "Honkin on Bobo" is great.

Originally posted by jenmdixon

"(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding", originally by Nick Lowe, covered by Elvis Costello, then by Midnight Oil, then by Curtis Stigers (among many)

Jen, I love Elvis' version of that song. Bill Kirchen, who lived locally here in No.Va. until a few months ago and is one of the best rockabilly guitarists in music today, does a great cover of this song as well. (Kirchen used to play with Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen, and is lead guitar on their version of "Hot Rod Lincoln" So that tells you he's got the chops.)

Shawn Colvin put an album out a few years back called "Cover Girl" and it's ALL covers. GREAT version of Dylan's "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go" and of Police's "Every Little Thing He Does Is Magic".

BTW, Jen, did you say Santana's "Black Magic Woman" and "Oy Ye Como Va" are COVERS?

No sirree Dan T., that wasn't me :)

Another cover that kicks butt, which I can't believe hasn't been mentioned yet, is Eva Cassidy's "Fields of Gold", which Sting wrote and performed.

And although it was covered by Linda Ronstadt and Terri Clark fairly well, I still love Warren Zevon's version of his song "Poor Poor Pitiful Me" the best.

===============

As an aside here, the various music threads we have going right now are really awesome, because they are making me remember some great tunes - for instance, right now I am listening to "Back where you belong" by 38 Special (mentioned by PCS in the Song Name Game thread), because (and I am cringing here), I didn't remember that song.

It's doing a good public service here. *We* are performing an important public service. :)

I hate to kick a man when he's down :(

Originally posted by Riggotoni

I can't believe noone has mentioned Santana's remake of Black Magic Woman!!!

And while I'm on the subject of Santana, how about their re-makes of Oye Como Va, Dealer, Stormy, and Well All Right.

Originally posted by jenmdixon

I hate to kick a man when he's down :(

Huh? Am I the one that's down, or are you referrifng to Carlos' recent plunge into 2nd rate pop collaborations? Or do you hate his remake of Black Magic Woman and don't want to come right out and insult me by saying so??? Would that be because you are a die-hard Peter Green fan, or you just hate the song to begin with? No worries, I don't get offended.

Also, another great remake: Nilson's version of the old Badfinger tune Without You.

And a horrid remake - Celine Dion doing the same song.

Song/original artist

Black Magic Woman/Fleetwood Mac (if you don't believe me, look it up - the song was Fleetwood Mac's first hit back in '67.)

Oye Como Va/ Tito Puente

Dealer/ Traffic

Stormy/ Classics IV (later re-formed as Atlanta Rhythm Section)

Originally posted by Riggotoni

Huh? Am I the one that's down, or are you referrifng to Carlos' recent plunge into 2nd rate pop collaborations? Or do you hate his remake of Black Magic Woman and don't want to come right out and insult me by saying so??? Would that be because you are a die-hard Peter Green fan, or you just hate the song to begin with? No worries, I don't get offended.

Also, another great remake: Nilson's version of the old Badfinger tune Without You.

And a horrid remake - Celine Dion doing the same song.

No sir, I meant that I didn't want you to be on the defensive but I was answering Dan T.'s question. Wasn't sure if what you had said was right or not, is all :)

I liked Black Magic Woman - well, still do. :)

I also feel that Santana is sortakinda selling out...hard to explain, because the tunes are catchy, but they aren't high art like some of his older stuff is, if you know what I mean...

I don't know who Peter Green is :(

Another Latino cover is Richie Valens' La Bamba, a rock 'n roll version of a traditional mariachi song.

And of course Los Lobos did a great version too, with a teaser of the traditional sound right at the end.

"Johnny B. Goode", originally recorded by Chuck Berry, but covered by Peter Tosh (love this version), Judas Priest(!), and if I remember correctly I once heard a version by the Beach Boys...and one by Elvis Presley - am I losing it?

Peter Green was the original singer/guitar player for Fleetwood Mac back in the 60s. Fleetwood Mac started out as a breakoff of John Mayall's Bluesbreakers - the group that made Clapton the reigning guitarist of British Blues. Clapton left John Mayall to form Cream with two other former Bluesbreakers - Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker. Peter Green replaced him, but shortly afterwards left and took the rhythm section (John McVie and Mick Fleetwood) with him to form Fleetwood Mac. In the 60s, Fleetwood Mac was the European version of the Grateful Dead, an average blues band that was Europe's biggest concert draw. Green ended up having a mental breakdown, probably influenced by drugs, and left the group to join a religious cult. He was replaced by Danny Kirwan, who was subsequently replaced by Bob Welch. The group under Welch finally had a couple of minor US hits - Sentimental Lady and Hypnotised, after which Welch left to go solo and had 3 hits Ebony Eyes, Sentimental Lady (slightly remade), and Precious Love. Welch was replaced by Nicks and Buckingham, and the group went down the pop toilet artistically, but sold millions.

Originally posted by Dan T.

Riggo, how's the original sound? Same tempo or does it sound alot different than Santana's rendition?

About the same tempo, but much more raw. A bit "bluesy-er," with a really odd chord voicing at the end of each verse (I think it's a minor 9th, I never got around to figuring it out).

Good info, thanks, Riggo.

Jen, I don't think I've heard Peter Tosh's Johnny B. Goode. I'll bet it's great.

Speaking of reggae, and an interesting mix of genres, Toots and the Maytals do a sweet version of "Take Me Home Country Roads", with "West Jamaica" replacing West Virgina.

Dan, there's a link to a soundbite of Black Magic Woman by Fleetwood Mac here (although its not with Peter Green):

http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=2726607

I'm as floored as you are about the song being a cover - never knew that before.

Riggo, thanks for the info - never knew that re: Peter Green and Eric Clapton, etc.! See, these music threads serve an important purpose :)

Also, Dan, here's a link to a page that has a soundbite of Peter Tosh's version of JBG:

http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=2856918

I'll have to look for the Toots version of Take Me Home Country Roads - I happen to love that song.

Here are some additional great covers

Aerosmith - Rockin Pnemenonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu

I dont know who the artist was..but the cover of Suspicious Minds (orig by Elvis) on the Honeymoon in Vegas soundtrack

Run DMC - Walk this way

Beatles - Twist and Shout

Frank Sinatra - My Way

The Who - Summertime Blues (Live at Leeds)

Rolling Stones - Round and Round

Archived