Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official #11 Answer Thread

bayougator

Hello all,

Thanks for all the questions. As I read through them, I decided that it would probably be better if I answered several questions with short answers rather than just a few with detailed answers. So don't feel like I am being short with you. I'm just trying to get to as many as possible. On behalf of the team, we really appreciate your support. Skins fans are the greatest. We'll give you something to cheer for next year.

Patrick Ramsey

Originally posted by Ancalagon the Black

Dear Patrick,

Om wrote an Extremeskins article called "The Gibbsian Moment" about the moment in a football fan's life when he realizes that he is bearing witness to something great.

Is there any defining moment in your football career--as a child or an adult--where you felt you were in the presence of true greatness? Perhaps something that inspired you to become the football player you are today?

Thank you, and best of luck.

EDIT: Hope this isn't a "deep personal question"; it's meant to be about your football life, not your personal life.

I would have to say the first time Coach Gibbs walked into our first team meeting. I could definitely tell I was in the presence of greatness, and it was evident that all of my teammates felt the same way. Guys sat up, shut up, and removed their hats. Instant respect. I feel incredibly lucky to be able to spend time with him on a daily basis.

Originally posted by bubba9497

Bayou... long time no see.. How's it going?

Let me be the first to say THANK YOU, to both you and Patrick, for your time and interest to do this for all us fans. :notworthy

* How's the foot, and how's the timing in minicamp coming along?

Foot's great. Can't remember ever feeling better. I really felt great about the way I threw the ball for the past couple of months.

* What are some of the positives Pat's seen going on at Redskin Park since Coach Gibbs & Company have come in to run the team.

Attention to detail, organization, and dedication. Our coaches WILL have us prepared to play. No question about it. If we lose a game next year, it will not be because of a lack of preparation.

* What does he think of the OL nickname "Dirt Bags"

Hope it sticks. Great group of guys.

* What does Pat think of Gibbs offense so far, and how does he think it will play against the NFC East?

Never been in a better offense. We are able to pound the ball running, and that opens up holes downfield in the defense. It's difficult to throw the ball downfield when your opponent doesn't respect the run. We will force opponents to respect the run.

Thanks again!!

Originally posted by Jethrodsp

Patrick-

Its evident that athletes feed off of a home crowd, especially in big games. How do you approach those same big games on the road?

Not much difference. Just have to be careful about how much you rely on vocal communication. It gets incredibly loud. If your guys can't hear you, then nothing works. Communication is key.

Does your mindset as a player and/or the team change upon entering a stadium such as Texas Stadium, Lincoln Field, or the Meadowlands?

Not really at all. Pay more attention to the weather, defense, etc. I'm thinking about so much at the line and after the snap. Tough to think about the crowd.

Do you expect a difference in the mindset this year as opposed to your first two seasons in the league?

Not particularly. Always trying to improve and be my best.

Thanks for doing this everyone. Truly a unique opportunity.

Hail Skins.

Originally posted by StevieInferior

Bayou, Patrick, and Site Admins

Thank you so much for setting this up!

Patrick,

First of all best of luck this season and I hope your foot is healing well!

You are a righty and Brunnell is a lefty. Being that the two of you will battle for the spot during traning camp, how does the fact that we have opposite handed affect the teams abilty to practice. Aren't protections shifted and such? God forbid if one of you ever gets injured, are there adjustments that have to be made to the offense to accomadate an opposite handed thrower?

Not much difference. We call a play according to field position, hash, boundary, time on clock, trying to protect lead, etc. Protections, routes, and plays can be mirrored. It really doesn't matter which of us is in there.

Originally posted by TC4

Thanks a bunch for this chance Bayou :)

Hi Patrick, how's it going?

How much do you think it will help your passing game overall to have a much more solid rushing attack now that the Redskins have a top-flight RB in the backfield like Clinton Portis?

Nothing helps a passing game like a running game. If we don't force the defense to put one of their safeties in the box, then they can defend the pass with two high safeties. If they bring an extra guy into the box, that allows us to to throw the ball more effectively because they have fewer guys to defend the pass. It's all a chess game. If they don't fear the run, then you have to be able to run the ball effectively enough to make them respect it. Much easier to complete passes with one high safety. Don't get me wrong. I've completed many passes with two high safeties. It's just harder to create big plays with two of them back there.

Originally posted by offiss

Patrick, A How you doin from jersey, been a skin's fan since I was 8 yrs. old, [now 39]when I saw you play in your first game in tennessee, I knew you were going to be special, I could see you are a true instinctive QB, with the physical tool's to go with it, my prediction's of league stardom for you has caused a lot of, let's say, discussion's, with all my giant buddies, {I am surrounded } [coincidently hasselbach used to live down the road from me here in jersey, along with T. coughlin], I made sure they left town:D , The question I have for you is this, I was very adimit about not aquiring M. Brunnell, for the very reason, that I believed you are going to be the best QB JG ever had the chance to coach, It seem's to me though that coach Gibb's is really trying to cover the worst case scenerio with depth at every position, I also believe coach is a man of his word, and if he say's the best man play's, I believe him, but what if everything shakes out fairly equal in camp, do you believe coach will go with the veteran under the circumstances?

Only Coach Gibbs can answer that question. I will say that I trust his word. He told me that I would start if I played better. The only thing I am focusing on is being the best quarterback that I am able to be. The rest will take care of itself in time.

Originally posted by WallyG3

A huge thank you to the Ramsey boys for letting us do this! Being such huge fans of the game yourselves, I know that you know how meach this means to us. :respect:

My question is this:

Who was your childhood football hero? Who was the guy who you pretended to be when you were a kid playing in the back yard?

Brandon says Jim McMahon. That was a phase I had to grow out of. I loved Marino, Favre, Montana, and Elway. I was a fan of QB's. I had a life sized poster of Marino. I guess I just imitated whoever was playing best at the time.

Originally posted by Henry

Bayou, you are the man ...

Oh, and you too Pat. :)

How's Laveraneus' toe coming along? Have you worked with him much this offseason? How's he looking?

L.C. always looks great. I really think he will have another big season this year.

Originally posted by rdsknbill

First. THank you to the powers that be on Extremeskins for making this possible. :notworthy:

Question:

I was at the Tennessee game when you came of the bench for an injured Danny Wuerfel (sp?)

When you took that first snap, what was going through your mind. You looked cool as a cucumber.

Thanks and have a great season :thumbsup:

My QB coach at the time, Noah Brindise, came up to me and said, "You can do this, you can do this." I remember telling him, "You're right, I can." That's what I thought on the first snap. "You've waited all your life for this opportunity. Make it happen." I hope that doesn't sound to ****y, but if you don't believe you can do well, you won't. I have always loved a quote by Henry Ford, "Whether you believe you can do a thing or not, you are right."

Originally posted by riggo-toni

Muchas Gracias Ramsey Brothers for your ultimate kindness here!!! :notworthy

OK, I think my question is a little different from what's been asked thus far. Are there any significant differences in QB techniques like footwork, arm motion, etc. that you're being run through between Spurrier and Don Breaux/Joe Gibbs? Besides the obvious differences in plays and such, which other posters have already asked about, I'm just curious if there are little technical things that the new coaching staff is having you do differently or perhaps having you concentrate on more (i.e. play action fakes, etc.).

Also, whereas Spurrier supposedly instructed his QBs to look downfield first and then progress backwards, what kind of progressions does the new offense entail? Are you concentrating more on just one guy, etc.?

Coach Spurrier was more concerned about fundamentals than my current coaches. We focus more on the play being run now. I guess they feel like we should be able to get the ball there without having to teach us how to do it. I really enjoy working with my current coaches. I'm learning so much right now.

Originally posted by Sweet Sassy Molassy

First off, I want to say thanks to You(Patrick), your brother Bayou and the Extremeskins staff. You guys are top notch.

Now to my question;

Patrick, there has been a lot of talk, on this board as well as other places, about things you can do to really become the next great QB. What particular part of your game (ex. quicker ball release, pocket presence, etc.) do you feel you need to improve this off-season to really get to the next level?

In closing, thank you so much for doing this and also for embodying the essence of a true Redskins player or fan (takes a licking and keeps on ticking). You are a great player, and a great person. Keep up the good work.

I have always felt like I will never be as good as I desire to be. I can complete 90% of my passes, and I will still desire 100% completion percentage. I'm a perfectionist. I will say that I feel like this system will maximize my potential. Foot speed, release, accuracy, etc. I can always improve. Whenever I feel like I've gotten good enough to stop improving, I'll lose my job.

Originally posted by panel

Is sitting and waiting to be drafted a scarey thing?

It has got to, I mean your just sitting around waiting for some one else to deside how you are going to spend the next 4 or 5 years of your life!

It's absolutely crazy. My wife and I got married 7 days before I was drafted by the Redskins. We returned from our honeymoon 2 days before the draft. My family and her family sat here in Brandon's house for a few hours waiting to see where I was going to live out my dream. Such relief to hear them call my name.

Originally posted by TK-IV II I

You've been quoted by someone with over 300+ posts because I thought it was a good question. Maybe you'll have a better chance of it being answered now.

Patrick,

1) Are you planning on attending Peyton's camp this year? Can you give some info on it such as : What types of things are covered there? How long does it run? etc. etc.

2) Feel free to disreguard this if it's to personal but what are your feeling on autographs? More specifly, do you subcribe to the school of thought that if someone sent you a S.A.S.E. & an item to sign would you be willing to accomadate them ala Sammy Baugh?

BG,

That place up the road from me is still open. You still planning on coming back to town this summer? :hungry:

Peyton's camp is the best. I have attended both as a camper and as a counselor. They cover everything involved in playing QB or WR. I don't think I am going to make it down there this year.

I do sign as much fan mail as possible. Ginny, my wife, does a great job assisting me with that. We like to let the fans know that we appreciate their support.

Originally posted by BD

Just a couple of questions for The Man:

-In your career, what's the best game you've ever played - the one you're proudest of?

-At Tulane, you ran a pass-heavy offense. In Washington, you've only run a pass-heavy offense thus far (and we all know that will change). Would you prefer a chance to run an offense where the ball isn't in your hands as much, or do you naturally prefer a system where you're throwing 30+ times a game?

-I could guess, but I might as well ask: Super Black Eagle, M1 Field, or Montefeltro?

We fans really appreciate this. Thanks so much.

BD

Best game----every single win that I have been a part of. It's such a great feeling to be part of a win in the NFL, regardless of the quality of your performance. My favorite memory is Tennessee.

Again, I really think Coach Gibbs' offense if perfect for me.

SUPER BLACK EAGLE!!!!!

Originally posted by bnacpa

Patrick & BG,

Thank you for your time ... especially while you are on break between OTA's and training camp and are trying to just relax and get a well deserved break!

Please share with this site what a typical schedule with Gibbs is like ... how many coaches do you work with (Gibbs, Jack Burns, Joe Bugel, or any others?), how many hours practicing, how many studying. Also, please go into depth on what is involved in studying ... do you watch hours and hours of game film of teams you will face this year based on last year's games or do you focus more on watching your self and how you performed? What kind of allocation of time is spent between the two. Finally, what kind of allocation of time is spent between studying the playbook and learning to make the proper reads in this offense versus studying film of opponents or your own prior efforts?

Thank you! & God bless on a great upcoming season!

This is the best question yet. Our schedule varies. I haven't gone through a day in the regular season with Coach Gibbs yet. I spend most of my time with Jack Burns, but we do spend quite a bit of time on installation with Coach Gibbs. I'll say this: there isn't a team in the NFL who has spent as much time preparing as we have in the past 3 months. On a normal day in the off season, we're there for 5-6 hours. During mini-camps and OTA's, we're at the facility from probably 8 am until 4 or so.

Last year, during the season, I would be at the facility from about 7 until 7 on Wed, Thurs, and Fri.

We probably practice for 2.5 hours, and we meet for 4-5 hours. Personal film time 1.5-2.5 hours per day, depending upon the day. More time is spent on familiarizing yourself with the game plan than anything. If you know your plays well, then performing is that much easier. You don't want to think too much on the field, you just want to react and make good decisions.

Originally posted by CTaylor42

Patrick, BG thank you very much for taking time out of your busy schedule to answer our questions.

All of us here, admire and look up to you for the guts you displayed last year.

Patrick, do you feel more comfortable in the Shotgun or behind center? since coach Gibbs isn't known for using the shotgun. Do you see yourself, working on your footwork in preparation, for more behind center snaps?

Much more comfortable under center. It's easier to focus on the defense when under center. When in the gun, you have to focus on the ball when it's on the way back to you. Your eyes aren't on the defense. A defense can change the look while you are focusing to the ball on the way back.

Originally posted by Rejuvenated Canadian Hog

First off, I'd like to thank Patrick and Bayou for their time and nice gesture. It's greatly appreciated.

Question:

124 wins and 60 losses overall in the regular season. 16 wins and 5 losses in the playoffs. 4 Super Bowl appearances and 3 Super Bowl wins in 12 seasons as a head coach. A career .683 winning percentage. The overall coaching stats of Joe Gibbs are in a league of their own to say the least.

Regardless of how Coach Gibbs' second tenure with the Skins turns out in terms of success, nobody will ever question his status as one of the greatest coaches ever. With that being said, do you personally (or the team on a whole) feel as though there is an added sense of pressure/duty to help preserve the legacy that Coach Gibbs has established? From a player's standpoint, does the added pressure to win that comes along with having a coach of Joe's status stem from a fear of possibly tarnishing his image?

Not really an added sense of pressure to preserve the legacy, but you do feel a sense of pride in being able to play for him. You don't want to be the guy who lets him down. It's like you hold yourself accountable to him without him asking it of you. I am not concerned about losses tarnishing his image. Coach's image, to me, is much bigger than wins and losses on the football field. Although that is what he is known for, he is so respected because of the person that he is. None our losses as a team can tarnish that.

Originally posted by codeorama

Patrick, Why did you pick jersey number 11?

Thanks

Ginny, my wife, chose #11.

Originally posted by RedskinsNation

Thanks to Extremeskins & The Ramsey Family.

2 Simple Questions:

1) Standing on the goal line - how far could you launch the ball in the air?

2) Has anyone in the Pro's/College ever used the radar gun (as they do in baseball) to see the speed of your passes? Just curious because you do have one of the best arms in the league. Thanks for your time.

1) 75 yds. or so

2) yes, but I can't recall how fast I threw it. I have learned in the past couple of years that it isn't near as important to throw the ball fast as it is to throw it accurately.

Originally posted by riggins44

Along the lines of team chemistry, how would you access the

the demeanor of the team? With the constant turnover in the roster, how long does it take to develop a strong rapport with

your new teammates? Is there much interaction between the

offensive and defensive players?

Between you and your brother, who is the master of the grill?

(or the Emeril in your family)

Chemistry is great. Everyone is really working hard. Hard to believe everyone is as fired up as they are right now. No one can wait for the season to begin.

Although chemistry is good now, it will get much better when the roster is finalized. It's sad, but I've learned that many guys don't really get to know each other until they know who they are going to be playing with during the season.

THE GRILL??? I didn't even know Brandon had a grill. I'm the guy to consult there.

Originally posted by frankbones

Pat-

Seen any good movies lately?

What are your all-time favorites?

My wife and I saw TROY the other day with a couple of our friends. GREAT SHOW.

Braveheart, Band of Brothers, Beautiful Mind. Great shows.

Originally posted by Redskins4evr929

Who was your favorite Football team and favorite player growing up?

As I said before, I'm a big QB fan. Marino, Montana, Elway, Favre. I never really had a favorite team.

Originally posted by TODD

Mr. Ramsey, bayou, Art, Blade, Om, and Co., thank you so much for organizing this, truly a special event.

The 2004 Draft saw four quarterbacks taken in the first round, and some might be "thrown" into the mix this year and could start on Opening Weekend.

Do you think it bodes young quarterbacks better to sit and learn for a year or two or do you believe it's better for them to get some on field experience in their rookie season?

Thanks so much!

PS- Patrick, please come visit Wegmans sometime after practice and pick up a good dinner for you and the Mrs.! It would be unbelievably cool to see our starting QB at my work!

I think it can be good or bad. I learned so much my rookie year, but when I look back on that, I had no business playing. I didn't know anything!!! The guy must really be ready. In my opinion, rookie QB's usually aren't ready to play.

Ginny and I LOVE Wegman's. You must not be looking very hard. We're in there at least 2-3 times/week.

Originally posted by curtis28

Patrick-

I hear your a hunter and i am to so i was wondering what is the biggest deer you ever killed and what kind of rifle do you use?

and i hope u start your better then Brunnell

I killed an 11 point in 2002 that scored 157. I use a SAKO 7mm magnum when I use a rifle, but I seldom use a rifle. I strongly prefer bowhunting.

Originally posted by pitcherjlt

Patrick,

This is Jeremy T. I know I am not at the "300" limit but I think I qualify as a "special exemption."

Do you give any credit to Bayougator and myself, PitcherJLT, for making you so tough? Just think, if we hadn't have done all those mean things to you when you were just a kid, you wouldn't be nearly as strong in the pocket. That is where your threshold for pain truly began! Ha Ha! Good luck this year! We look forward to seeing you again when you are back in Ruston. Maybe this time we can all play golf at Squire Creek.

My question: When you play golf at Squire Creek Country Club and your ball lies just a little less unfavorably than you would like, do you move it just a little bit for a better lie or do you ALWAYS play within the rules and hit the ball as it lies?

You guys don't really have to answer this one. I'll find out from Bayou later. Take care.

PitcherJLT

NEVER USE THE FOOT WEDGE. I turn in LEGIT scores only. Best so far is a 78. Shot a 79 yesterday.

Originally posted by panel

As a kid, did you always play QB with your friends, or was that something that developed later?

Never played anything but QB.

Originally posted by Sweet Sassy Molassy

I second this question!

[fingers crossed]Please Say ESPN![fingers crossed]

I haven't played either one, sorry. I do like HALO.

Originally posted by Pete

Man this thread has grown fast.

Bayou, Pat, you two are tops.

While I doubt you'll touch this question, I'm still gonna ask even if most here will think it a dumb question.

Knowing the speed of the pro game, do things seem to happen in slow-mo at times...........no sound.........almost like watching from the outside as a play devolops.

:cheers:

Believe it or not, yes. I would say that more times than not, I don't hear anything from the time the ball is snapped until the end of a play. You just automatically tune it all out. I always hear reactions, buy not until the end of the play.

Originally posted by mark327

first i 'd lke to thank the mods and you bayou and especially you Pat for taking the time to answer some of our questions. :cheers: to you having a great year as a redskin with many more to come.

my question : when did you first start playing QB , at what age were you ? reason my 5yr.old son will start to play football this fall and he wants to be a QB , he's a lefty and has a nice throw and spiral all ready , he watched alot of your games with me last yr. loves the game and talks about how many times you got hit , and kept getting back up to play . wants to be just like you . i've told him that it'll take alot of practice and patience and being smart to become a good Qb. if you could find the time to answer this i'd like to show kevin your answer , thanks HTTR

I have always played QB. If Kevin continues to throw, he will certainly develop his ability as a passer.

Kevin, I really appreciate your support. Keep slingin' it. You'll probably come take my job one day.

Originally posted by Romberjo

I heartily endorse the kudos for Pat, Bayougator, the mods here, and all the creatures on Joe Gibbs' green earth.

The only question I can think of about how we can help you out: is there a way that we fans can help you at the stadium, presumably with noise? I realize you're on offense, so maybe one way is for the fans to pipe down when you reach the line of scrimmage (and roar after we make a big play to try to dishearten the other team). What can we do that's particularly disruptive to the other team when they're on offense?

Just be as quiet as you can when we have to ball. Be as loud as humanly possible when they have the ball. Other than that, just cheer for good plays. Try to avoid the booing. Just kidding. We know we have true fans.

Originally posted by WM_Marylander

I'll third this question, but expand a bit.

Patrick,

Who's the best on the Skins at video games? (who also claims to be the best, but isn't?)

And any favorites video game wise?

L.C. claims that most of the guys on the team aren't even worth his time. I think he's pretty dominant at those video games. I prefer golf.

Guys, thanks a ton for the support. My family and I really do appreciate it. I've got to go to bed. I'm trying to beat that 78 in the morning.

Patrick Ramsey

I have to clear a couple things up!!

I'm the one that gave him the Henry Ford quote his senior year in HS. So I guess there is something other than making him tough that I can take credit for.

And unfortunately I have to tell you. Pat didn't tell the truth!! He can't hold a match to me on the grill. Because of this we are scheduling a cook off and pitcherjlt will be the taste tester.

I can also tell you that he's throwing the ball better than he has in years. I have the bruises to prove it. We threw in the front yard today and I have to regretfully admit. I couldn't take it anymore.

BG

Wow, that was so awesome. Another reason to be a proud Redskins fan. I am going to the road game @49ers this season in December, and I look forward to seeing Pat and everyone else. If I can get seats close enough to the bench, I might give extremeskins a shout out.......LOL.

Thanks BG & PR........

DAMN, he can chuck the ball 75 yards, I'll bet you have some bruises Bradon.

You should suite up in catchers gear or goalie equitment if your thinkin of catching any more balls from him.

And I don't doubt your the better cook B, the older sibiling always seems to be the better cook for some reason.

Absolute best part of the thread:

Originally posted by bayougator

If we lose a game next year, it will not be because of a lack of preparation.

Patrick Ramsey

He said IF!!!!!!!!!! Gotta love it. If. Wow. Anybody have a cure to chronic goosebumps? This is going to be a great year. Thanks Pat. You the man!

Originally posted by bayougator

I can also tell you that he's throwing the ball better than he has in years. I have the bruises to prove it. We threw in the front yard today and I have to regretfully admit. I couldn't take it anymore.

BG

Are you seriously admitting you can't handle his passes? A brother is NEVER supposed to admit that! :silly:

absolutely the best!!! good questions and great answers .

i hope this site and you PR and BG can do this again real soon.

i just talked to my son (i'm at work now) and told him you answered my question and he is so excited he wanted me to come home from work to show him your answer .:notworthy

thanks again , heres to a great season and career PR:cheers:

:ravensuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck :dallasuck

Reading that reminds me why I'm a sports fan. I can't imagine there are many - if any - other sites out there that give its members the opportunity to hear directly from the mouth (hands?) of a team's top young star. Thanks to everyone involved, both the Ramseys and the staff. :cheers:

Archived