Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2006: What gives?

Renegade7

What's this maddness about 2006 everyone is talking about? We're supposed to go broke cap wise? Too much money in the players? Okay, I'm bout as dumbfound as the rest of ya'll, but this might help to answer some questions.

2006 cap hits(over $1 million) and year pro in 2006:

6 Lavar Arrington- $12.414 Million

13 Mike Barrow- $ 3.417 Million

7 Matt Bowen- $ 2.4 Million

13 Mark Brunell- $5.433 Million

6 Laveranues Coles- $ 6.857 Million

10 Phillip Daniels- $ 2.600 Million

7 Lennie Friedman- $1.050 Million

6 Cornelius Griffin- $4.883 Million

6 Jermaine Haley- $1.413 Million

9 John Hall- $ 1.420 Million

10 Walt Harris- $ 2.25 Million

7 Jon Jansen- $ 5.238 Million

5 Darnerien McCants- $2.167 Million

6 Chad Morton- $ 2.300 Million

8 Brandon Noble- $ 2.150 Million

4 Clinton Portis- $ 5.476 Million

4 Patrick Ramsey- $ 1.808 Million

11 Cory Raymer- $ 1.119 Million

6 Chris Samuels- $ 11.320 Million

9 Shawn Springs- $ 5.558 Million

7 Randy Thomas- $ 4.500 Million

9 James Thrash- $ 1.125 Million

10 Regan Upshaw- $ 1.700 Million

6 Marcus Washington- $5.167 Million

9 Renaldo Wynn- $4.583 Million

25 players listed above adds up to a total of: $99.473 Million

Add in:

4 Betts- .81 Million (contract year)

3 Dockery- .576 million (contract year)

3 Jacobs - .841 Million

12 Rasby - .904 million

17 Tupa - .939 million

Plus the rest:

3 Garnell Wilds(CB)- .386 million

3 Billy Strother(LB) - .39 million

3 Quinn Chrstensen(OG)- .389 million

3 Rufus Brown(CB) - .386 million

3 Ryan Boschetti(DT)- . .388 million

And the Finale grand total, baring any adjustments, cuts, adds, rookie signings( or simply if nothing happens roster or cap wise between now and 2006) The total cap hit will be(drumroll please): $105.482 million

*Other notes-

Contract years(years pro that year)- Sameuls(6), Raymer(11), Ramsey(5), Noble(8), McCants(5), Harris(10), Haley(6), Friedman(7), and Bowen(7).

So, what do we do? We'll we know for a fact a lot of the players above are most likely going to be gone. Wynn, namely. And a lot of contracts are going to be redone done. Sameuls, namely. This has been presented to you to show exactly what we are faced with come 2006. This is what will be if we do nothing, that includes not resigning Smoot or Gardner, or even signing Taylor or going after Ogunleye. This is what I've gotten as of June 17, 2004. This also means that someone has a lot of work to take care of in the next two years. :D

Try not to fret. It's all going to be alright. Just trying my best to keep ya'll in the loop.

http://redskins.theinsiders.com/3/salary_cap_chart.html

*note, I haven't figured in dead money because I don't know how it works exactly over time.

Originally posted by TLusby

First, the cap will increase as it does every year and secondly, one third of those players will be gone or reworked.

I know, so why are so many people talking about 2006 is going to kill us?

:dunce:

That's the point. ;)

Originally posted by worm

Looking at the list, I figure Brunnell, Springs and Wynn probably won't be around. That's $15 mill saved..

And thus it begins. This whole thread was started to explain what 2006 is all about, so people will no long bring up our demise so ignorantly. :D It's gonna be all good. Watch.

Originally posted by worm

Looking at the list, I figure Brunnell, Springs and Wynn probably won't be around. That's $15 mill saved..

Springs will be here for certain. You don't give a player a $10 M signing bonus for 2 years worth of play. At least 3.

Brunell is a question mark. If he plays well enough... he very well might be here. Even as a backup. Of course, I would expect him to restructure as well.

UMMM if anyone can add we are 25 Million over. Thats pretty hard to restructure, especially when alot of these players you refer to as being gone have prorated bonuses that will hurt us badly. I agree we will find a way to work it out, but don't expect it to be without some sad goodbyes.

Originally posted by VAsBeachBoy

UMMM if anyone can add we are 25 Million over. Thats pretty hard to restructure, especially when alot of these players you refer to as being gone have prorated bonuses that will hurt us badly. I agree we will find a way to work it out, but don't expect it to be without some sad goodbyes.

Not going to be any problem at all. The main thing is the cap will be substantially higher than it is now because that will be the first year of the new TV deal. The players with the more obscene cap charges get into them knowing they will have to eventually restructure, anyhow. They'll still make the same money, it'll just be structure differently for paperwork purposes.

Nick

I highly doubt Samuels is gonna stick around, hes an easy release next year as he's nearing the end of his contract, and we coulda saved a little money this year. Winey filled in well last year, and Molinaro and Wilson, has to be a reason we drafted them. Doubt Arrington will restructre once again either, but couldnt we convert some of his signing bonus to a roster bonus or somethin?

Brunell may be around, as may Springs. Dont think Barrow will be though, neither will Wynn or Bowen or Harris. Also either Friedman or Raymer are gone, dont need 2 veteran centers when we could get a youngster by then who could become solid. We'll still be fine.

Originally posted by VAsBeachBoy

Ok, do the math. What's the prorated bonuses that will hurt us badly from the following contracts:

Upshaw, Noble, Morton, Wynn, Walter Harris, Haley and Bowen.

You say you are $25 million over. Well, we are talking about two more seasons so two more raises in the cap. The average is about $4 or $5 million in a year. Estimate about a $10 million increase in the cap from now until that time and it is $15 million over. Samuels will have his cap hit cut in half, at least. Right there is another $5 or $6 million. You are $10 million or lower over the cap.

Arrington will have to do something with that $12 million cap hit. I say the Skins find a way to save at least $4 million by redoing his deal. Now you are about $6 million or so over.

Redo two or three more contracts and you don't even have to cut anyone. But, if you wanted to, cut Brunell and your problems are solved.

Sure, I could have laughed and said the Redskins are doomed in 2006 but after the fourth or fifth time, you stop believing in the term, "cap hell." Teams are getting better with the cap and I'm sure Snyder has something planned for that offseason. Heck, I'd still be willing to bet the Skins sign the most players anyway.

I'm done with this "cap hell" business with the Redskins. I don't believe it anymore. I'll just have to keep hoping they lose more than they win. But that is even harder to expect now with Gibbs back.

Well, at least the Eagles should start floundering soon.

P.S. On a side note, did anyone else know that Bill Parcells' daugther's name is Dallas? :doh:

actually in a lot of those contracts there are rosters bonuses due those years. Convert those into signing bonus and prorate them over the remaining years of the contract and there is significant savings there. Or cut the player and you don't have to deal with it.

example: Arrington's roster bonus of 6 mil is due in 2k6. Cut him and save 6 mil + his sallary (not likely but for instance) or convert the roster bonus and divide it over the remaining 4 years of his contract.

Tricky business cap management is. But there are quite a few cases like this in 2006.

Somewhat educated guessing i think that doing the roster bonus conversions to signing bonuses for several players would releive over 8 million in 2k6.

Originally posted by Tom [Giants fan]

P.S. On a side note, did anyone else know that Bill Parcells' daugther's name is Dallas? :doh:

:laugh: Here's a good title to a movie, "Quincey Does Dallas!"

:dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck

With uncertain economic conditions there's no guarantee the TV contracts will rise at all much less at the rate they rose in 97 when the last deals were done. The networks took a bath over the last few years because the economy went in the dumper. The cap could be as high as 90M to as low as 80M in 06 but lets assume the same increase of the current contract is sustained and the 06 cap is 88M. If you stop on Renegade's list at Tupa you have 30 players signed with a total of 105M. Samuels will void in 06 and subtracting Die Hard's list and throwing in Thrash and Raymer it leaves you at 83M with only 20 players under contract. So you have 5M left and we haven't included Taylor or Cooley or your 05 draft and Samuels Smoot and Gardner aren't accounted for....You have 1 S and 1 CB and only Griffin and Daniels on the DL plus you have no C or starting FB.

There are a number of roster bonuses that can be guaranteed and prorated in 06 but they bring up some interesting situations. If Arrington and the Skins work out their problems over what he's owed in 06 that's an easy 4M of cap charge that can be moved back. Springs will be 31 then and if cut before 6/1 will raise his cap number 1M and if you wait until 6/1 he gets his 3M roster bonus. A new form of cap hell may be born where you have to keep players you might want to get rid of because you have to guarantee their roster bonus to create cap space to get you legal by the start of the new cap year. Brunnell has no 06 roster bonus and the plan is likely to cut him after 6/1 06 but that won't help you get legal or during the FA market. If Ramsey wins the job this year or next his cap charge could be much higher than the one listed because he has an escalator clause that could raise it 2.9M per year if he takes the majority of snaps.

This is not a bright picture with no cap space left to fill out a roster which means a lot of undrafted rookie FA's on the 06 roster almost any way you look at it. This leads me to believe Gibbs has no plans to be here in 06 because he loves a roster stocked with veterans and there is no way this can be done given the mandates of the contracts in effect for 06.

*note, I haven't figured in dead money because I don't know how it works exactly over time.

The way i understand it (i'm 98% sure of this):

When a player signs a contract, for cap purposes, his Signing Bonus(SB) is spread evenly across the length of the contract. (7yr contract, 7 mil SB, 1mil/yr on cap. And when a player is released or traded, whatever portion of the SB left on the contract is considered "dead money" on the cap for the next year. So whoever we cut or trade in this offseason counts against our cap for this season, any transaction during the season counts towards the next.

Then there's the June 1st specials. if a player is cut or traded between June 1st and, i believe, sometime around the start of training camp, his SB cap hit can be evenly spread over the next two seasons. This is why we waited to drop Trotter.

If a player is traded, then the team he goes to owes him no signing bonus, and can trade or cut him at will without any kind of cap consequence.

Thus is the danger of signing bonuses. But a players' salary is not guaranteed, if they are cut, they get nothing from that salary. This is why signing bonuses are what lures in big name talent, it's guaranteed money. And the redskins being one of the richest teams(revenue-wise) in the NFL, we can afford to shell out these guaranteed signing bonuses, but then we get ourselves in cap hell. That's supposed to be tre great equalizer in the NFL.

Looks like somebody's got some math to do.

Sure, I could have laughed and said the Redskins are doomed in 2006 but after the fourth or fifth time, you stop believing in the term, "cap hell." Teams are getting better with the cap and I'm sure Snyder has something planned for that offseason. Heck, I'd still be willing to bet the Skins sign the most players anyway.

I'm done with this "cap hell" business with the Redskins. I don't believe it anymore. I'll just have to keep hoping they lose more than they win. But that is even harder to expect now with Gibbs back.

Boy oh boy/ I can't believe what I'm reading. A fan of another team saying we won't be in cap hell

:point2sky

We do have some guys on the team that have a decent roster bonus that year. I think if this group falters the next two years then we will just let everyone go and start fresh, if we do well it will be interesting to see what happens.

Don't forget about Sean Taylor's contract as well.

If we do cut say 10 guys, well that does sound like cap hell to me because we can't keep them :doh:

Originally posted by Renegade7

I know, so why are so many people talking about 2006 is going to kill us?

:dunce:

That's the point. ;)

Because people are stupid, Renegade. They'd rather be hysterical and uninformed than moderately calm and informed.

It's funny how many on this MB think smart cap management has kept you away from cap hell. It's not true. The only thing that saves you from cap hell is the incompetance of your organization in selecting players to sign to FA contracts. Cap hell results when you want to keep a team together and can't because the cap won't let you. Snyder has't been able to field a team that's worth keeping together so you get double joy with him. You get the excitement that comes with signing a FA and a year or two later you get the joy of celebrating that same player being cut so more mistakes can be made. This year you cut 9 players which was more than any other team but you're not in cap hell because those players weren't very good so blowing up the team and getting rid of them is a smart move. The Titans lost far fewer players but were considered to be cap strapped because the players they lost can play.

You guys are so well trained that now you're saying the Skins won't be in cap hell in 06 because we can cut 10 guys. You assume you will stink and dumping a large portion of your team will be a good idea. I mean dare to dream and what if you do well and want to keep those players that add up to 105M in a year when the cap will be around 88M. How do you do this plus pay the other 1/2 of the roster that don't have contracts for 06?

* Actually I checked and it's 10 players that were released and 8 were players signed as FA's and the other 2 were acqired by tade. You also acquired a player by trade last year who wasn't re-signed after becoming a FA this year. That's a record to be proud of.......

Originally posted by Tom [Giants fan]

You say you are $25 million over. Well, we are talking about two more seasons so two more raises in the cap. The average is about $4 or $5 million in a year. Estimate about a $10 million increase in the cap from now until that time and it is $15 million over. Samuels will have his cap hit cut in half, at least. Right there is another $5 or $6 million. You are $10 million or lower over the cap.

Arrington will have to do something with that $12 million cap hit. I say the Skins find a way to save at least $4 million by redoing his deal. Now you are about $6 million or so over.

Redo two or three more contracts and you don't even have to cut anyone. But, if you wanted to, cut Brunell and your problems are solved.

Well, at least the Eagles should start floundering soon.

Tom. You seem like such a smart guy!!! Why in the he11 are you a Giants fan?!?!?:doh: You could easily be one of the greats, but you enjoy this thing with poor Football teams :laugh:

Thanks for your input!!! Its good to know that there are a few smart Giant fans out there. Thats more than I can say about any Cowpiss fan.

Originally posted by Pocono

It's funny how many on this MB think smart cap management has kept you away from cap hell. It's not true. The only thing that saves you from cap hell is the incompetance of your organization in selecting players to sign to FA contracts. Cap hell results when you want to keep a team together and can't because the cap won't let you. Snyder has't been able to field a team that's worth keeping together so you get double joy with him. You get the excitement that comes with signing a FA and a year or two later you get the joy of celebrating that same player being cut so more mistakes can be made. This year you cut 9 players which was more than any other team but you're not in cap hell because those players weren't very good so blowing up the team and getting rid of them is a smart move. The Titans lost far fewer players but were considered to be cap strapped because the players they lost can play.

You guys are so well trained that now you're saying the Skins won't be in cap hell in 06 because we can cut 10 guys. You assume you will stink and dumping a large portion of your team will be a good idea. I mean dare to dream and what if you do well and want to keep those players that add up to 105M in a year when the cap will be around 88M. How do you do this plus pay the other 1/2 of the roster that don't have contracts for 06?

See what I mean, Renegade?

Archived