Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2006: What gives?

Renegade7

Originally posted by Art

Because people are stupid, Renegade. They'd rather be hysterical and uninformed than moderately calm and informed.

And others think releasing 10 to 15 players a year is considered healthy :doh:

We have been lucky unlike Dallas to not have a lot of dead money against our cap. However releasing a ton of players to get under the cap and not having any cheap young players is not healthy for a long future.

Originally posted by Die Hard

Ok, do the math. What's the prorated bonuses that will hurt us badly from the following contracts:

Upshaw, Noble, Morton, Wynn, Walter Harris, Haley and Bowen.

Hey Art.....If you have a problem with what I said don't argue with me. Argue with this guy who's saying you won't be in cap hell because you can cut these 4 UFA's and 3 RFA's. I think the 3 RFA's cost you 3 draft picks although I could be wrong about Haley. While you're at it argue with the folks saying Samuels won't be around also.

Well, at least the Eagles should start floundering soon.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The Eagles are projected to be 21 million under the cap in 2006 and thats not including the increases for the new television contracts. While Snyder does his best David Copperfield maneuvering to stay under, conversely, the Eagles are in a position to continue to upgrade their roster in many years to come and thats without having to make wholesale changes.

Both scenarios are not a guarantee for success or failure just an indication of who will have the most leverage in restocking the pond without driving a wedge into another players wallet.

Originally posted by Art

See what I mean, Renegade?

Ya, I see.

Upshaw, Noble, Morton, Wynn, Walter Harris, Haley and Bowen. If those are the guys that are most likely to be gone, the only one I'm really going to miss will be Morton. They might fix his contract by then, but I can look for us to do a lot more drafting by 2006. Mainly because our roster will be so complete, especially if we get Ogunleye.

BTW, no prob, Warren. :)

All of these players will be gone by 2006. If not these are the guy on my list: This will save us roughly 50 Million to sign our cheap young draft picks that we will start to keep around.

13 Mike Barrow- $ 3.417 Million

7 Matt Bowen- $ 2.4 Million

13 Mark Brunell- $5.433 Million

10 Phillip Daniels- $ 2.600 Million

7 Lennie Friedman- $1.050 Million (maybe not)

6 Jermaine Haley- $1.413 Million

10 Walt Harris- $ 2.25 Million

6 Chad Morton- $ 2.300 Million

8 Brandon Noble- $ 2.150 Million

11 Cory Raymer- $ 1.119 Million

6 Chris Samuels- $ 11.320 Million (unless restructured)

9 Shawn Springs- $ 5.558 Million

9 James Thrash- $ 1.125 Million

10 Regan Upshaw- $ 1.700 Million

9 Renaldo Wynn- $4.583 Million

Add in:

12 Rasby - .904 million

17 Tupa - .939 million

Originally posted by BleedB&G4life

All of these players will be gone by 2006. If not these are the guy on my list: This will save us roughly 50 Million to sign our cheap young draft picks that we will start to keep around.

Add in:

12 Rasby - .904 million

17 Tupa - .939 million

sounds great but that is 9 starters :doh:

Originally posted by BleedB&G4life

Add in:

12 Rasby - .904 million

17 Tupa - .939 million

Cutting all those guys will save a little over 20M and leave about 30M in dead player charges for 06 from signing bonuses these players were given. I think this would leave you 6-7M under the cap wit only 13 players left on Renegade's list. That would leave you 7M to sign 40 players including 9 or 10[Harris could be a starter since Smoot isn't on the list] starters. Good luck with that.

Originally posted by Pocono

Cutting all those guys will save a little over 20M and leave about 30M in dead player charges for 06 from signing bonuses these players were given. I think this would leave you 6-7M under the cap wit only 13 players left on Renegade's list. That would leave you 7M to sign 40 players including 9 or 10[Harris could be a starter since Smoot isn't on the list] starters. Good luck with that.

Harris will be in his 10th year by then. If Smoot is gone, you can be sure Harris will be as well.

BTW, thanks for the help on dead money, Fullback. :cheers:

Renegade.....If you want to figure how a player's dead player charge effects what the team will save by cutting him you can use that same Warpath chart I assume you used already. The column labeled 2004 signing bonus allocation will give you how much of each player's cap hit per year is from their signing bonus proration. For example Daniels has a 2006 hit of 2.6M of which 600K is signing bonus proration. That means 2M is salary for 06. If he's cut before 6/1 his salary goes away but his proration from 07 and 08 are accelerated into 06 which brings about an 800K cap savings[2M-1.2M=800K]. If he's cut after 6/1 06 the 1.2M of SB proration from 07 and 08 are charged against the 07 cap resulting in a 2M cap savings in 06 and a 1.2M dead player hit in 07. This year teams were only allowed to prorate over 6 years so don't count any years after 2009 if you try and figure how much SB proration a player has left that can be accelerated.

http://redskins.theinsiders.com/3/salary_cap_chart.html

Renegade.....If you want to figure how a player's dead player charge effects what the team will save by cutting him you can use that same Warpath chart I assume you used already. The column labeled 2004 signing bonus allocation will give you how much of each player's cap hit per year is from their signing bonus proration. For example Daniels has a 2006 hit of 2.6M of which 600K is signing bonus proration. That means 2M is salary for 06. If he's cut before 6/1 his salary goes away but his proration from 07 and 08 are accelerated into 06 which brings about an 800K cap savings[2M-1.2M=800K]. If he's cut after 6/1 06 the 1.2M of SB proration from 07 and 08 are charged against the 07 cap resulting in a 2M cap savings in 06 and a 1.2M dead player hit in 07. This year teams were only allowed to prorate over 6 years so don't count any years after 2009 if you try and figure how much SB proration a player has left that can be accelerated.

http://redskins.theinsiders.com/3/salary_cap_chart.html

Thanks. :)

Originally posted by Die Hard

Anyone want to guess how many new faces the Eagles are starting this year?

http://www.nfl.com/teams/depthcharts/PHI

Also, include positions where depth now became starters.

Quite the overhaul.

What strikes me about that is that the Eagles were so comfortable with the guy they jumped up 15 spaces in the first round for in 2003, that they went out and signed the most expensive FA in the offseason to play his position.

I smell a bust named McDougle. But that can't be, can it? The Eagles are such great personnel evaluators. :rolleyes:

There is no cap problem in 2006. A majority of our big contracts (the ones listed above) have clauses in them that make them automatically restructure at the time needed. It isn't even up to the player.

Again, Joe Gibbs is not an idiot, and regardless of perception, neither is Dan Snyder. The guy went from passing out fliers in the parking lot to being a mega-billionare, so he obviously knows a little bit about cost control (he hasn't always spent the money on the right people, but he isn't going to put us behind the 8-ball). The two of them together would not let the team reach cap jail.

Originally posted by phanatic

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The Eagles are projected to be 21 million under the cap in 2006 and thats not including the increases for the new television contracts. While Snyder does his best David Copperfield maneuvering to stay under, conversely, the Eagles are in a position to continue to upgrade their roster in many years to come and thats without having to make wholesale changes.

Both scenarios are not a guarantee for success or failure just an indication of who will have the most leverage in restocking the pond without driving a wedge into another players wallet.

:laugh: First, everybody says that we are going to be in "Cap Hell" because of all the big money that was being thrown around. That hasn't happened yet. Now, there's the possibility that this team could be together for a while, which would mean some cap management. What makes you think that Snyder can't make it work. So far, he's proven everyone wrong. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

:cheers:

Yea, then the Eagles will actually be able to beat us in a Gibbs system.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by KevinMac

There is no cap problem in 2006. A majority of our big contracts (the ones listed above) have clauses in them that make them automatically restructure at the time needed. It isn't even up to the player.

Again, Joe Gibbs is not an idiot, and regardless of perception, neither is Dan Snyder. The guy went from passing out fliers in the parking lot to being a mega-billionare, so he obviously knows a little bit about cost control (he hasn't always spent the money on the right people, but he isn't going to put us behind the 8-ball). The two of them together would not let the team reach cap jail.

I think what you're saying is that there is a cap problem in 06 and the solution to that problem is to guarantee their 06 roster bonuses and prorate them thus postponing some of their 06 cap hit until later in their contracts. Which means if Shawn Springs is the same S Springs that he was with the Seahawks only much older you will be forced to keep him just because cutting him would use more 06 cap space than keeping him. Since no FA Snyder has signed for more than 1 year has lived out his complete contract isn't it quite likely that he will want to cut a number of them who have reached the fat cap hit portion of their contracts in 06 but can't because he needs the cap space provided by guaranteeing their roster bonuses just to get under the limit? He can't Trotterize them and wait until 6/1 because he'd have to pay the bonuses that are due before then. I know the Springs and Griffins and Washingtons look so wonderful now but experience tells us you won't feel that way in 06 and beyond when they eat up a major portion of your cap.

Being forced to keep players you want to get rid of seems to me like a much more disagreeable form of cap hell then being forced to get rid of players you want to keep because there's always the chance that you can find replacements for losses that can play while a bad player getting a paycheck who knows you can't cut him isn't going to get any better IMO.

Archived