Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can the Redskins, should the Redskins, make a offer for DE...

flexxskins

Adawale Ogunleye? There seems to be some type of dispute over money there in Miami and I say hell...lets pay the guy to play here. We definately need him more than they do...so lets act like it and through a offer on the table. What do you guys think about bringing in a 26 year old, who can give you 16 sacks a season?

I dont think we have the cap room or the supporting cast for him... he excelled being paired the Jason Taylor. Here, he will be paired with Renaldo Wynn &/or Phillip Daniels?

Not quite the same league, you know?

I think the team has been developing some chemistry. And at this point.. they're not going to jeopardize it for anyone. That helps breed confidence in the team and organization..... that they like the players they have. It's helps to build a "family" and I think that's what Gibbs is trying to accomplish.

Originally posted by Die Hard

I think the team has been developing some chemistry. And at this point.. they're not going to jeopardize it for anyone.

Valid point but I can't believe that the Skins won't add a quality defensive lineman for the right price. Ogunleye may not be the answer but I don't think the door is closed for another free agent because the Redskins are worried about ruining the "chemistry."

Originally posted by SKINtil8tin

Valid point but I can't believe that the Skins won't add a quality defensive lineman for the right price. Ogunleye may not be the answer but I don't think the door is closed for another free agent because the Redskins are worried about ruining the "chemistry."

As far as "starting" quality players... I'd bet they wouldn't spend the money. They've worked the guys seriously hard to get them up to speed on the football program.

There's NO way a player is going to be able to ingest everything at this stage in the game and contribute this year. Especially at the price tag a guy like Ogunleye would command.

Think about it... it's why we spend a 3rd round pick on Brunell ages ago. So he'd be in all the camps and such.

Gibbs isn't going to spend all this time developing a team... having the guys work their butts off for him... and then have a free agent buy his way into the starting roster at this stage in the game.

That's the way it used to be done... but I doubt Gibbs will allow it.

Originally posted by Blade

I dont think we have the cap room or the supporting cast for him... he excelled being paired the Jason Taylor. Here, he will be paired with Renaldo Wynn &/or Phillip Daniels?

Not quite the same league, you know?

Your probably right about the cap space. But Im hoping R. Upshaw starts before Wynn does.

Right now. No. first of all I'm not sure I want to spend a season having to spell Adawale Ogunleye. He makes a play during the game and it'll take me 2 minutes just to put his name down and that simply will not do in a game thread ;)

As has been noted, cap could come into consideration and though he did rack up 15 sacks last year can he do it again? Team seems set, ( so far) to go into the season with the personell they've got now. Williams has a system he has put into play with these guys in it. Figure that he seems commoratable with that system and who he has in it. Also, t has been reported that his is a rather complicated system to learn so bringing a guy in late could be tricky at best. Lot's of catching up to do. if the price was right? Sure team may think about it, but he does seem a bit pricey.

Gibbs isn't going to spend all this time developing a team... having the guys work their butts off for him... and then have a free agent buy his way into the starting roster at this stage in the game.

That's the way it used to be done... but I doubt Gibbs will allow it.

They've had a couple minicamps, built on some good team chemistry, but they've still got some time. If a free agent were to come in late, but was able to contribute positively to the team, I can't believe that Gibbs would be against it. Our defense has improved (on paper and in theory) but our line is still the weakest part of the team. I was resolved with our defense the way it was because of Gregg Williams, but if we have the possibility of improvement, the scales of chemistry and defensive strength would have to be weighed.

Originally posted by Park City Skins

Right now. No. first of all I'm not sure I want to spend a season having to spell Adawale Ogunleye. He makes a play during the game and it'll take me 2 minutes just to put his name down and that simply will not do in a game thread ;)

As has been noted, cap could come into consideration and though he did rack up 15 sacks last year can he do it again? Team seems set, ( so far) to go into the season with the personell they've got now. Williams has a system he has put into play with these guys in it. Figure that he seems commoratable with that system and who he has in it. Also, t has been reported that his is a rather complicated system to learn so bringing a guy in late could be tricky at best. Lot's of catching up to do. if the price was right? Sure team may think about it, but he does seem a bit pricey.

I really believe that if Williams could get his hands on a player that could potentially make his system work for the team at an even higher level...he would never pass that up. Ogunleye has that potential. Although, as you and several others pointed out...the cap would probably be the problem. Unless we released one of those DE's.

Do you recall when the rumors persisted that Ramsey demanded a trade and trade rumors were swirling? And Gibbs consistently told the media Ramsey wasn't going anywhere.

And while fans of opposing teams and the media made comments in jest... Skins fans remained quietly reserved because they knew better.

So when Gibbs/Williams have said repeatedly they aren't concerned about their pass-rushing capabilities.... why isn't that good enough for people this time around?

The 1991 team didn't have a big time RDE. Fred Stokes was a backup on many rosters. The Skins had Mann on the other side and the recently aquired Tim Johnson and Eric Williams to stuff the middle. The pass rush on the right side came from Wilbur Marshall. This season the Skins added Marvin Washington for that purpose. The line should key in on the run and force opponents to throw on a good secondary.

Absolutely not. The Skins do not have a guy like Jason Taylor on their line to keep anyone honest. The team should hold pat and address the need in next year's draft, it will be alot less expensive than going after a guy that wants money in the KGB-Kearse range.

Originally posted by txkid

The 1991 team didn't have a big time RDE. Fred Stokes was a backup on many rosters. The Skins had Mann on the other side and the recently aquired Tim Johnson and Eric Williams to stuff the middle. The pass rush on the right side came from Wilbur Marshall. This season the Skins added Marvin Washington for that purpose. The line should key in on the run and force opponents to throw on a good secondary.

Who's Marvin Washington?

I would strongly consider it, if the price tag was similiar to KGB's. But it sounds like KGB's contract is on the low end of what Ogunleye is looking for. I doubt he will sign for $11 milliion in bonus. If he would then I would do it, even if it costs us some good players next year.

From ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1822893

Rosenhaus reiterated that, absent a long-term contract, Ogunleye will sit out the first part of the season. He would sign the one-year deal after seven games, providing him enough time to be on the active roster long enough to qualify for his fourth season toward the NFL pension. Doing so would make Ogunleye eligible for unrestricted free agency next spring when, Rosenhaus said, "There are teams that will be waiting with open arms."

Ogunleye, while he's probably a very good player, probably benefitted from Jason Taylor more than he even knows himself. Taylor would eat up 2 of the blockers, and the rest of the O-line would scoot to fill the double team gap, and rely on a running back to block Ogunleye, which is normal. That's how he got more sacks than Taylor.

And he wants the same kind of payday as Kearse and Gbaja-Biamila(however its spelled) just got? He's willing to sit out the entire season, but sign his one year offer from the dolphins in week 7 to get some sort of 4 year veteran incentives from the league.

Does anybody who thinks that a 26 year old DE who threatens to not show up for work will be hired by Joe Gibbs?

I think the team has been developing some chemistry. And at this point.. they're not going to jeopardize it for anyone. That helps breed confidence in the team and organization..... that they like the players they have. It's helps to build a "family" and I think that's what Gibbs is trying to accomplish.

I think this captures it very well, DH.

Last year, like this year, the team made a mad dash out of the gate in free agency. We seemed to make a concerted effort to make moves designed to have the bulk of the team together prior to the draft. One mistake I think we made last year was waiting until camp to make a key cut and key additions.

You lose the sense of family the team seemed to be striving for. You add resentment by players who'd been there all along. I don't think we'll make that same mistake this year.

The funny thing is if the Skins wouldn't have dived into the free agent pool so fast, this would be a feasible move. This is hindsight now but lets say they would've kept Armstead instead of Marcus Washington. Armstead was only to count 1 mill against the cap. Lets say they didn't sign Micheal Barrow at all. The LB's would've been Armstead, Mitchell, Arrington & Pierce basically. But the Defensive line could've been Oldweygne, Daniels, Griffin with Wynn or Upshaw at the other end. The bench could've been Noble, Haley and whatever else is there. Just hindsight. They need a linemen that other teams will at least account for. They don't possess that now.

Only in one of those "offer we can't refuse" situations. Letting the current personnel go into camp and gel is truly what we need. We can have a much improved season with who we already signed. We should know better than ANY team that "stars" don't always make you better.

Originally posted by Snagletooth

I would strongly consider it, if the price tag was similiar to KGB's. But it sounds like KGB's contract is on the low end of what Ogunleye is looking for. I doubt he will sign for $11 milliion in bonus. If he would then I would do it, even if it costs us some good players next year.

:doh: I hate to be such an a$$, but that had to be one of the single most stupidest comments I've ever heard/read. On any message board!!!

Archived