Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Parcells Uses Slur Talking About Trick Plays

Originally posted by Die Hard

Football players and coaches are a different breed. This stuff is TAME compared to the stuff in the lockerroom.

They're football players.... let's not try to make them out to be anything more than what they are.

True but that stays in the lockerroom. Parcells for some reason knew what he was going to say, he even said before don't take offense to it. The issues is he is a public figure and he shouldn't have mentioned anything. When you are being taped by a bunch of reporters you take the high road.

Personally I think he might have been mad at one of the japenese reporters over something and that could be the reason he said it. He is like Gibbs, they know what they are going to say and why before they say it.

I'm conservative, I'm a registered republican, and I'm not politically correct. But I do believe that people should not be ignorant; by way of their historical context and stereotypical nature, racial slurs are ignorant. I should not be the person saying this, but…

For some Japanese Americans “Jap” is an offensive racial slur. I personally am too young, too thick skinned, and only half Japanese, so I’m not offended by the term. However, to say, "why is this even a story" and "I’m sure things 1000 times worse get said on a daily basis in every locker room" and “that’s just the way they are” misses the point. Parcells dropped a racial slur. Period. It was stupid, but it certainly was not earth shaking. Some people will be offended by it, some won't.

However, I believe that racial slurs should not be propagated. When Parcells used the term “Jap” on public television, he was propagating a racial slur. Is it breaking news-worthy? No. Is it stupid? Certainly, for the reasons I mentioned above. Is it worth mentioning? Likely, because someone should point out why what Parcells did was wrong. I don’t want my kids naming their trick plays on the playground after racial slurs. Do you?

Originally posted by TheDane

I don’t want my kids naming their trick plays on the playground after racial slurs. Do you?

That's the least of your problems as a parent :)

Come on now.... what kind of language do you think you're gonna hear now on playgrounds? It ain't PC.

You're right, but if I can at least attempt triage and get them to name the plays "Respected Japanese Triple Reverse Play," I'll be part of the way there. ;)

Now we're beginning to understand why pro players say it's always the same offense but the terminology is different. :laugh:

If you said a racial slur suck as "jap" but were referring to something completely different, is it still racist??

Remember some words have different meanings so I don't see the issue here. Now if he said those dam japs, that is a different story. You have to take the way the word was intended not the exact word.

When I say there is a big wasp outside i am not meaning the slur :doh:

He obviously wasn't trying to offend anyone but it's really funny that he thought it wouldn't. I thought it was hysterical when he said "no offense to the orientals" which is an offensive phrase by itself. He just grew up in a different world and doesn't keep up with what's PC.

I remember the story about George Bush Sr. talking about some half hispanic (cousins or friends kids?) during a picnic. He said something like "where are the little brown ones". I think that was part of the reason he didn't get reelected. He was a little out of touch with the changing times. Coaches aren't elected though.

Originally posted by Ryman of the North

no disrespect intended but honkey crackers rule the world so pretty soon we will all have labels wops, negroes, indians, polacks , hebes r.c.s , homos heteros,Im running out of labels here someone help a brother out, no disrespect intended tho.

I always thought Jews ruled the world.

Which brings up the point, how did "Jap" come to be a racial slur? It's merely a shortened version of the correct term. Much like "Aussie" or "Brit".

What is the context by which "Jap" came to be offensive?

This is going into previously charted 'Janet Jackson Nipple' territory.

And hey, if we're going to do the 'political correctness flame war' all over again, wouldn't we all rather have something pleasing to the eye to look at?

sports-parcells.jpg

http://www.drudgereport.com/jjt.jpg

I think its a no-brainer.

However, if you find said nipple-shot offensive (I know I did!), please mentally substitute the 'Janet Jackson Nipple Cupcake' recipe below for the offensive photo. You'll be glad you did!

Image-23E9D206578B11D8.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg

Jap was bad when my momma told me so. Actually, in the early part of the 20th century it referred innocuously to a person of Japanese descent, but those who view the term offensive generally point to World War II as the turning point.

PS. Tarhog, that's a truly awful picture. As a Half-Japanese Half-Danish American, I demand an apology.

Jap was bad when my momma told me so. Actually, in the early part of the 20th century it referred innocuously to a person of Japanese descent, but those who view the term offensive generally point to World War II as the turning point.

PS. Tarhog, that's a truly awful picture. As a Half-Japanese Half-Danish American, I demand an apology.

So if you are so against racial slurs then how do you root for the REDSKINS? :)

Which half is offended, the half-Japanese, or the half-Danish (that cupcake is admittedly kind of sick-looking).

I'm actually poking fun at myself Dane, not you :cheers:

I took a beating when I got upset over the Janet Jackson episode (only because my young kids watched it, and it irritated the hell out of me that MTV would assume it would be just fine for primetime national TV).

So I am sensitive to the argument that if something truly bothers a portion of the population, its kinder not to say it or show it.

Originally posted by jbooma

So if you are so against racial slurs then how do you root for the REDSKINS? :)

You're actually right, based on what I said, I should be against it, but I'm not. You've discovered my hypocrisy. Remember, I claimed that I am not personally offended and that this thread was not "breaking news-worthy."

Originally posted by Tarhog

Which half is offended, the half-Japanese, or the half-Danish (that cupcake is admittedly kind of sick-looking).

I'm actually poking fun at myself Dane, not you :cheers:

:laugh: Yeah man, I know. I was being sarcastic (and referring to the drudge pic). ;)

D*mn, if I'm being labeled as politically correct and sensitive, lord save me now.

:laugh: Yeah man, I know. I was being sarcastic (and referring to the drudge pic). ;)

D*mn, if I'm being labeled as politically correct and sensitive, lord save me now.

I knew you knew :laugh:

Now that I've successfully derailed this thread, my work here is done! :cool:

The term "Jap" was used during World War II, usually with an image of a short buck tooth, slant eye yellow cartoon characterazation... or used in names like "tricky Jap ****s", "jap devils"...etc....

it represents the hatred and predjuice felt toward all japanesse during the war and after, even those who were american citizens.

00fle03.jpg

I dont see what the big deal is. Jap is just short for Japanese how is that a racial slur? I'd understand if he used some of the terms you hear in the movie Platoon. The media must be starving for this to get so much attention. I think him referring to Asians as Orientals was more offensive. I thought that term went out with the 80s. Then again Bush is president and Gibbs and Parcells are coaching in the NFC East again so why not bring back more from that era.

Archived