Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN asks Florida court for ineligible voters list

phishhead

Old news (May 28th) but relevant nonetheless.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- As Florida county election boards review a list of thousands of potentially ineligible voters -- including some who may be felons -- CNN is suing the state, claiming the public and media should also be able to review the list.

The move comes four years after the state's voter rolls were at the center of one of the closest elections in U.S. history.

The state Monday denied a CNN request for a copy of the list of up to 48,000 people. These people, according to the state, could be ineligible to vote because they are felons or have multiple registrations -- or have died since the last election.

The county election boards have been asked to review the list to make sure the people are correctly identified as individuals who should be denied the right to vote.

The state said that only government officials, candidates for office, and political parties can be provided copies of such records under state law.

CNN as well as members of the general public were invited to view the documents in the Florida Division of Elections headquarters in Tallahassee, on the condition that there be no photocopying or note-taking.

"Unless people look at the list and see their names and know that it's wrong, then they could end up in a situation where they don't have the right to vote," said Tampa attorney Gregg D. Thomas of the law firm Holland & Knight, who is representing CNN in the matter. "It is incredible that information this important to a constitutional right, the right to vote, is not freely and openly disseminated."

CNN filed suit Friday in a state circuit court in Tallahassee, Florida.

In the 2000 election, state officials purged voter rolls of the names of more than 173,000 people identified as felons or otherwise ineligible to vote, but civil rights activists as well as some Florida county elections supervisors have charged that those lists contained numerous errors, and that thousands of eligible voters were prevented from casting ballots in the election.

After the Supreme Court closed the door to recounts, President Bush edged then-Vice President Al Gore in Florida by a margin of 537 votes, enough to win the state and, with it, the White House.

"Florida's 2000 felon purge program resulted in over 50,000 legal voters being disenfranchised," said Leon County elections supervisor Ion Sancho in a written statement. "When asked for assurances that the [2004 felon list] was 90 percent accurate -- the minimum level local supervisors of elections requested for such a list -- we were told that it was better than the 2000 list, with no data to support its accuracy."

A Florida state official acknowledged to CNN that the 2000 list contained errors -- in particular that it included felons convicted in other states, who are eligible to vote in Florida.

The 2004 list, according to the official, has been corrected to include only felons convicted in-state.

County elections officials were provided with the new list, as well as a list of voters who were possibly wrongfully denied the right to vote in 2000, and were asked to review both lists and submit any corrections to the state.

The official said that "most" of Florida's 67 counties had responded, but could not provide a specific figure.

County elections officials are required to contact Floridians who appear on the list of those identified as felons by mail and give them an opportunity to challenge state records.

If the person cannot be reached by mail, the county must follow up with an announcement in local media outlets. If there is no response in 30 days, the person will be removed from the voting rolls.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/05/28/fla.vote/

One anecdote about the 2000 purge: One county elections supervisor decided not to use the state-supplied list because her name was on it.

The state office said her name was on the list because her name was similar to a convicted felons'.

Originally posted by Larry

One anecdote about the 2000 purge: One county elections supervisor decided not to use the state-supplied list because her name was on it.

The state office said her name was on the list because her name was similar to a convicted felons'.

I will infer from your post that officials in Florida counties have the discretion to use the list or not? And where does the State list come from? The individual counties court records? What an absolute mess.

Actually, I think Jeb has 'reformed' that process.

At least this article implies that the counties have to use the state's list, unless the county can prove someone shouldn't be on it.

And, if I recall, the 2000 list came from a GOP think tank who'd also done the same thing for Texas. (Conveniently forgetting that in Texas, felons get their voting rights back after a period.)

Originally posted by Cskin

The Dems will be knocking on CNN's backdoor wanting the list. An ineligible voter is a voter for the Dems. :D

defending this practice is unamerican, just like your buddy Falwell who thinks God is punishing this country. YOU HATE AMERICA.

(this is too easy I can see why it catches on)

Destino... read up on the voter fraud in California, especially the rampant voter registration fraud perpetrated by illegal aliens. Be sure to pay close attention to the public findings, and how the Democratic party shelved the report because they realized action on voter fraud could not be taken because it would adversely affect their candidates. When you come back more informed, we'll discuss.

Again... you're fascination with Falwell and it's relationship to me is puzzling. Are you simply making the connection because I happen to live in the same town as he? I can assure you, my family has lived in Lynchburg far longer than any Falwell generation. You're continued mentioning of him, in some odd game of six degrees of seperation, only highlights your desperate attempt to prove yourself.... a stretch at the very least.

Destino... read up on the voter fraud in California, especially the rampant voter registration fraud perpetrated by illegal aliens. Be sure to pay close attention to the public findings, and how the Democratic party shelved the report because they realized action on voter fraud could not be taken because it would adversely affect their candidates. When you come back more informed, we'll discuss.

Again... you're fascination with Falwell and it's relationship to me is puzzling. Are you simply making the connection because I happen to live in the same town as he? I can assure you, my family has lived in Lynchburg far longer than any Falwell generation. You're continued mentioning of him, in some odd game of six degrees of seperation, only highlights your desperate attempt to prove yourself.... a stretch at the very least.

Got links?

The best investigative info. on the Florida voting fiasco has been done by Greg Palast.

Check out these links to educate yourselves.

http://gregpalast.com/detail.cfm?artid=55&row=2

http://gregpalast.com/detail.cfm?artid=4&row=2

http://gregpalast.com/detail.cfm?artid=27&row=2

http://gregpalast.com/detail.cfm?artid=27&row=2

Silence of the Media Lambs

http://gregpalast.com/detail.cfm?artid=33&row=2

The wrong way to fix the vote

http://gregpalast.com/detail.cfm?artid=84&row=2

How the voter purge itself was felonious

http://gregpalast.com/detail.cfm?artid=122&row=2

Felons, Dead democrats voting?

Sure this isnt chicago they are talking about?

Heck who didnt know that The peoples republic of cali has illegals voting democrat or convicted felons in Florida?

I still would like to see how the democrats would respond to the GOP leasing buses for poor whites and rednecks to get to the polls and vote GOP.

Would that be racist or just helping people exercise their rights?

What's your point? Are you so morally bankrupt (another tactic stolen from the right) that you can't even respond on the issue? I think if any of the things you mention go on anywhere the people responsible should be arrested for treason. Unlike you I don't defend such idiocy.

You know damn well the reason I bring Falwell up I'M PLAYING BY YOUR RULES. You bring radical random idiots up when attacking liberals so I do the same.

What's your point? Are you so morally bankrupt (another tactic stolen from the right) that you can't even respond on the issue? I think if any of the things you mention go on anywhere the people responsible should be arrested for treason. Unlike you I don't defend such idiocy.

Respond? Respond to what? I'm the one that brought up the voter fraud in California perpetrated by the Democrats? If you don't believe it has happened.... then you're much "thicker" than I thought.

And defend? Defend what? I said that CNN wanted the list so they could give it to the Dems to evaluate. Here's a thought, if it's happening in California with illegal immigrants... than it's happening in Florida.

The question is... how can you defend the Democrats tactic of busing poor people to the polls that ND mentioned? I guess it's ok if the Left does it, voter tampering if the Republicans do it. It all goes back to the phrase... "what's good for the goose isn't good for the gander".

As for the "quotes from the left"... you still don't get it. I gave you quotes from professors of reputable universities all over the country... you give two well-known religious fanatics few take seriously. Big difference..... BIG DIFFERENCE.

Voter fraud should always be investigated, no matter the party. If it has been committed in California, investigate it. But the fact that 50,000 votes, in a state that strongly votes Democraft, were basically take off the books, is signifcant. And SHOULD be questioned - after all, A LOT of fishy events, and not just these missing votes, occured, and is worthy of investigation.

Events, such as what this article discusses, is the reason why many feel that Bush "stole" the election.

And personally, I don't see anything wrong if either party should provide transportation for voters, though it would be nice if there were public funds to help poorer voters get the chance to vote. Or at least made the voting locations more accessible for everyone, no matter their income level. (And there is no guarantee that a lower-income voter will vote Democrat.)

I agree; investigate all voter fraud. But don't forget about Jesse Jackson "busing in"and "paying" voters and that CBS announced Gore as winning the State of Florida early "forgetting" that millions had not yet voted in the panhandle (mostly military) because of the one-hour time zone difference. I think both sides will agree that the election was a fiasco in 2000 and that Florida is a "swing state" again in 2004.

Originally posted by Hitman56

Katharine Harris was the head of elections in Florida and a high-ranking "Elect Bush" official. Then after she royally screwed up the Florida election, the GOP financed her run for congress as a thank you.

Well, thats an unbiased lil quote there :doh:

How did she screw it up again?

She created and authorized the voting ballet?

She changed the voting locations and didnt tell anyone?

She bussed people in to vote?

She decided not to count the military ballets from overseas?

She said Gore won, when 1/3 of Florida hadn't voted yet?

She decided to sue and only recount a couple of cities?

She Sat on the Supreme Court and decided the rullings?

Yepper, your right, all her fault....

Originally posted by Thiebear

Well, thats an unbiased lil quote there :doh:

How did she screw it up again?

She created and authorized the voting ballet?

She changed the voting locations and didnt tell anyone?

She bussed people in to vote?

She decided not to count the military ballets from overseas?

She said Gore won, when 1/3 of Florida hadn't voted yet?

She decided to sue and only recount a couple of cities?

She Sat on the Supreme Court and decided the rullings?

Yepper, your right, all her fault....

She organised and supervised a program who's mission was to eliminate as many voters from the voter rolls as possible, particularly in heavy-minority counties (wonder which way those counties vote) by removing people from the rolls if their names were similar to those of fellons. (Including fellons who had the right to vote.)

When this initial vote counts showed a very close race, she used her authority as the state's 'judge' on election law to forbid three counties from complying with state law. She made this ruling without any party (officially) even asking for a ruling. The reason she gave for forbidding complyance with the law was that she "didn't like" that method.

After the counties spent four days getting her (illegal) order overturned, she then found another law: One sentance of the law stated that results from the counties "may not be accepted" after a certain date. (The next four pages of the law specifically said that results could be accepted, and specified the proceedures. But, aparantly, that part of the law wasn't important.) She then pre-emptively announced that, even though the counties failure to meet the "deadline" (that wasn't a deadline) was entirely due to her attempt to prevent compliance with the law, she would refuse to accept any results after the "deadline".

(This delay, in turn, gave the GOP time to fly people into one of the counties, to stage a fake "riot" in one of the courthouses. But, we're talking about Harris, not the GOP.)

When, finally, a court informed her that even with the authority of her office, she needed a better reason to ignore state law than "she didn't like it", she issued a ruling in which she stated that the entire law allowing late submission of results was "clearly intended to apply only in cases of hurricanes", and since there was no hurricane in Florida on election day, the law didn't apply.

Does that count?

She organised and supervised a program who's mission was to eliminate as many voters from the voter rolls as possible, particularly in heavy-minority counties (wonder which way those counties vote) by removing people from the rolls if their names were similar to those of fellons. (Including fellons who had the right to vote.)

Some of that is a valid point: some is just horrible;

So she hates blacks and latino's and that if your a minority your a felon and want to vote democratic? that sounds rather harsh???

Could you stereotype everyone else so i can figure out where I fit in.... I myself believe people vote for the person they like, not like cattle....

The 2000 Florida election process was a shambles at best. From what I understand they want "LAWYERS" in place before this election???

Do you honestly believe this one will be any better if your ready to have lawyers fight it out before people even vote:

Heres a hint:

Send out military applications early.

Accept them Early.

NEVER change the voting locations within 6 months of voting.

Dont allow busing if its based on who your going to vote for

Get the machines like the ones we vote on in northern va.

Don't comment on a state with multiple time zones till the last time zone votes...

Another antidote.

In the 1989 VA Gov race, many counties in SW VA had over 100 percent voter turnout. Not suprisingly, Doug Wilder won by less than .1 percent of the vote thanks to those counties.

People who are commenting about what happened with the purge of felons from voters rolls simply have no clue what happened and why. I suggest learning the states laws before making wild and inflammatory racist accusations. Jesse and the hatemongers want you to believe something bad happened when it did not.

Archived