Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cowboys and Testaverde's Agent in discussions

HeHateMe

As a Dallas fan, I would love to have him push Carter and mentor Henson (ala Pennington).

Please, unbiased thoughts on this one. Try and put your hatred for the Boys aside. Thanks.

http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstorync/stories/060304cpcowlede.4ca1.html

Cowboys, Testaverde's agent talk

11:48 PM CDT on Wednesday, June 2, 2004

By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – The Cowboys took the first step toward trying to acquire free-agent quarterback Vinny Testaverde on Wednesday by contacting his agent.

While Mike Azzarelli declined to say whether the Cowboys offered the 40-year-old a contract, he did indicate the sides discussed the parameters of a deal.

Azzarelli also said he has been contacted by several teams about Testaverde's availability.

"Everyone is fairly clear. This is not a feeling-out process," Azzarelli said. "[Cowboys coach Bill Parcells] knows Vinny's work ethic. He knows he's going to be in shape and he knows what he can contribute to the team.

"Vinny knows the same things. The discussions we have with somebody like Parcells are a lot more narrow in focus than the discussions we have with other teams."

Testaverde, a 17-year veteran who will turn 41 in November, has told Azzarelli that he wants to play for a team that will allow him to compete for a starting job.

Published reports said New England and Carolina are interested in Testaverde. Each team, however, has a proven quarterback who led it to the Super Bowl last season.

That's not the case in Dallas.

Quincy Carter will enter training camp as the starter, but Testaverde would probably push him more than Drew Henson, Tony Romo sits to pee or Chad Hutchinson, the other quarterbacks on the Cowboys' roster.

A Testaverde-Parcells connection makes sense, given their close relationship and the success Testaverde had under Parcells with the New York Jets.

Last season, Testaverde completed 123 of 198 passes for 1,385 yards with seven touchdowns and two interceptions, and the Jets went 2-5 with him as a starter. Testaverde led the Jets and Parcells to the AFC Championship Game in 1998, when he passed for 3,256 yards with 29 touchdowns and seven interceptions.

There would also be less of a learning curve here. Testaverde would be familiar with the offense.

The Cowboys' first veteran minicamp of the off-season begins Saturday, and the Cowboys would prefer to have Testaverde attend if he's going to be on the team.

"I don't know how long it will take for Vinny to sign with someone," Azzarelli said. "It could happen quickly in the right situation or it might take awhile."

honest opinion?

Testaverde at 40 is a sitting duck in the pocket and while his arm strength is still there his accuracy is questionable.

The Redskins beat the Jets in the opener last year basically because Testaverde couldn't make plays, even when they were there to be made.

No question NY would have won that game if Pennington had been healthy.

So, I am assuming that Dallas is looking at Testaverde simply as a backup to Carter. Assuming that Carter is indeed the guy to build around (still questionable in my mind) and that Vinny won't be need for extended action in 2004, then having him on the roster as an extra coach so to speak for the younger qbs is not a bad move at this point, given the other options available.

Truthfully, though, I can't believe Parcells is going along with fielding a team in 2004 that came off a 10-6 mark and whose answer to all the moves by Philly and Washington is to bring in Testaverde and Drew Henson to team with Carter at qb.

I would rather not see Vinnie in Dallas. He enjoyed his best years under Parcells, and while he's older and slower now I think Parcells knows how to cater to his strengths. The Cowboys would be a better team with Vinnie on it, and I don't want that.

My memory of Vinny was from last years opener.

He fumbles the ball on his own 7 and we run it in. However, the Ref called it an incomplete pass....which on replay showed it was clearly a fumble.

He looked confused and lost and old.

If he's going to be a #3 in Dallas that would be fine..........I wonder if the Tuna is thinking about starting the guy.

Originally posted by Rock-Bufford

My memory of Vinny was from last years opener.

He fumbles the ball on his own 7 and we run it in. However, the Ref called it an incomplete pass....which on replay showed it was clearly a fumble.

He looked confused and lost and old.

If he's going to be a #3 in Dallas that would be fine..........I wonder if the Tuna is thinking about starting the guy.

Buff...I really hope not.

While I despise Carter with a passion, I still hope that he responds to this. Testaverde outright starting would be a sign that Carter is even worse than I think he is. I like Testaverde, but you cannot deny that his skills are eroding. It is like bringing in Steve DeBerg to compete with Kordell Stewart....eh...okay...

I wonder if Donovan McNabb considers this signing a slap in the face?

Originally posted by Rock-Bufford

I don't know Boozey. I think its foolish.

Then again. Parcells might not be planning on sticking around more than another season or 2. He needs bodies who know his system

What is foolish?

Bring in Testaverde? Or bringing him in to start?

If I am judging Parcells right, he wants Testaverde around to show Henson the ropes and continue the tradition of having a mouthpiece in the lockerroom as he did with Anderson and Young last year.

Young was a bad signing, because he was expected to start and contribute on a set of bum knees.

Testaverde as a mentor and safety net behind Carter is quite smart. But if he tries to force the issue, then I would start worrying.

HHM-

I think this was a great move for Dallas. Vinny doesn't have to be spectacular. He just has to help Quincy and be there if Carter goes down. He will also be a huge benefit to the guy being groomed to be the real QB in Dallas, Drew Henson.

He Hate YOU and I hate DALLAS.;)

HHM

You're welcome to post your news and move along, but you really need not share your opinion with us here at ES regarding Cowboy matters.

It's been well documented that no matter who Dallas signs or who they DON'T sign, it's a home® run every time according to you.

This post is just another example of a homer post by you.

If Vinny signs then he will "push Carter and mentor Henson (ala Pennington). "

The funny thing is that if he doesn't sign, then:

He's a "scrub who just went for the dough" somewhere else and his better years are behind him anyway. He'd just be a distraction who would "stunt Carter's growth" and keep a diamond in the rough like Hutchinson off the roster.

Interesting how, according to you, Brunell is stunting the growth of Ramsey yet Testeverde could become a mentor to Carter. Guess you didn't see the quotes about him saying that he wants to play?

And do you seriously give Vinny Testeverde any credit for mentoring Chad Pennington? Please. Their games have absolutely nothing in common and VT hated the WCO that Pennington excelled in. If anything, OC Paul Hackett probably said "look kid, ya see that big Frankenstein-looking QB, whatever he tells you, do the opposite."

Here's a few more examples:

Larry Allen

You post articles about how it would be "highway robbery" to land him for a 3rd or 4th round pick around the time of the draft - presumably because of how completely finished everyone knows he is. And then a few weeks later you send articles around about how he's in great shape and what a great comeback he's going to make this year and "prove all the doubters wrong." Were you looking in the mirror?

Adam Meadows

When the Boys lost out on one of the top FA right tackles DESPITE OFFERING more money than Carolina it was a "blessing in disguise" because it allowed you to draft a rookie from USC with "more potential." A rookie who you have probably seen play twice. Do I really need to say anything more on this one? Perhaps your most homerish statement of all.

Free Agency and the Cap

You crowed and crowed about how sweet it was going to be to clear out all the dead wood in 2003, see the young kids play and make a championship run in 2004 "when all all Tuna teams make the leap."

Your team had plenty of cap space to make moves for the run you envisioned but they didn't. Now you have pulled another 180 and preached incessantly about "the future" in Dallas and how bright it is. How every move is made with 2005 in mind, 2006, and 2007.

When you draft a player he is a steal. Or he has more potential than the FA you lost out on. When you pass on an FA - he is old, expensive and Dallas is being wise and planning for the future. When you sign someone who sucked the past few seasons - Tuna will max out his potential. When you are about to trade someone - he sucks and Tuna is about to commit robbery. The draft choice you receive will go on to become the next Jim Brown. Whoever you land in a trade or FA is the second coming and will no doubt recapture his "glory years" under Tuna.

This is how it goes in fantasy candy land. So does us a favor and just post the news without the fairweather. :rolleyes:

Dirk - Great post!

Nothing warms my heart more than thinking about Quincy Carter confidently stepping up in the pocket and throwing an interception to a wide open Sean Taylor on Sep. 27th except the though of the skeletal remains of Vinnie Testaverde with a big ol' star on his helmet!

Great signing. :laugh: Nice post June 1 pick up! :laugh:

The Cowgirls look lost this off-season.

Originally posted by boozeman3

What is foolish?

Bring in Testaverde? Or bringing him in to start?

If I am judging Parcells right, he wants Testaverde around to show Henson the ropes and continue the tradition of having a mouthpiece in the lockerroom as he did with Anderson and Young last year.

Young was a bad signing, because he was expected to start and contribute on a set of bum knees.

Testaverde as a mentor and safety net behind Carter is quite smart. But if he tries to force the issue, then I would start worrying.

if I recall correctly.....Vinny taking little snaps as a starter means that he's pretty much useless if needed to play. We say that last year. He was a backup most of camp....Chad gets hurt....Vinny gets a week to get ready....but even WEEKS into the season, he's still struggling.

What is he going to teach by sitting there? Chad Pennington could of started earlier if Vinny wasn't playing well at the time.

Originally posted by jrfriedm

Dirk~

It would appear that you have some strong feeling on this topic. While, I completly agree with you in every way, I just thought that it was very interesting how this topic seems to have gotten under your skin.

Jrfriedm,

check out the thread on Wiley (should be at bottom of front page). It was an all out slugfest between Dirk and HeHateMe. I haven't seen that heated an arguement on either this or the Tailgate forum since I've been here. I think Dirks somewhat lengthy response on this thread is leftover from the last fight.

the question is whether Henson is close enough to being a starting qb in the NFL that a single season sitting on the bench being tutored will be enough.

look at all the work that McNair, Favre and recent picks such as Ramsey have had in honing their abilities and becoming NFL quarterbacks.

Henson hasn't played organized football in 4 years and played only one season at the college level.

This is the guy you are building your future around?

Wow.

Dirk seems to have some pent up frustration I see.

Hey, if letting it all out here helps, good for you.

Just like all loyal fans though, every move or non-move made is spun in favor of their team. Happens with Dallas, and happens here (ON THIS SITE) all the time. To do other wise would be to do a disservice to the dedication you have for your respective team.

The bias' on this site are admitted through and through, so to bother with replying to the rant DD went on would be fruitless.

I've known him personally for quite some time fellow ES.com members, and I can assure you his homerism is on par with mine.

So I can vouch that his loyalties to the Skins are as deep as mine are to the Boys. Which is an "EXTREME" amount.

So I let him rant. As good as I am at spinning things, he's known among our circle as the "spin doctor"; and sometimes, I even think I learned some of my spinning ways from him.

But I digress.

Back to VT, I'm on record with DD that I wanted Warner in Dallas if he were to be cut. I'm also on record, since the rumors began about VT being cut that he is my 2nd choice.

Whether he beats QC out or not, it is in the best interests of the team to have him on the roster. If he pushes QC to be the better QB, then all the better. QC becomes better.

If he ends up starting, well, then he beat out QC and is the better QB. Again, an improved situation for the COwboys.

But no matter what happens, this is a positive move.

He can mentor Carter/Henson/Romo sits to pee or he can beat them out.

I dont see how any situation that transpires can actually be harmful or hurtful to Dallas.

His best years were with Parcells/Key/Anderson and I see no reason at this point why he cant succeed again. Maybe he wont be as good as he was in 98; but if Tuna is at the helm, you can at least know that the best is being brought out in him. What "the best" is at this point, remains to be seen.

But I do look forward to seeing what it is.

As a Dallas fan, I've gotten quite used to seeing INT's.

VT is very good at limiting the turnovers and being the "busdriver". If he ends up being the "busdriver" for a year, all the better. He earned it. And if it means goodbye to Carter (who is a FA at the end of the season); well, we have Mr. Henson waiting in the wings.

Again, I really cant see any negatives in this signing.

And Dirk, you brought up Paul Hackett.

FYI, he is on record as saying he would RATHER LOSE than see Testaverde succeed.

Quite a situation VT was in; and he was still respectable.

I cant wait to see what happens when hes back with his posse.

Archived