Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Portis be the same in the NFC East?

Angus

Will the Portis of the AFC West be the same effective Portis in the NFC East?

Portis, we are told, rushed for more than 1,500 yards per season with Denver. In the AFC West he played six games each year against the Chargers (2), the Raiders (2), and the Chiefs (2), which collectively gave up 7,072 rushing yards last year. In the NFC East in the coming season he will play six games against Philadelphia (2), Dallas (2), and the Giants (2), which together gave up 5,404 yards against the run (more than 1,600 yards less). Do you think he can do as well against these intra-division rivals as he did against the ones in the AFC West? Or better?

http://www.nfl.com/teams

Portis will do just fine. He has the talent and skills. However, due to the reason you stated (better defense in the NFC east) and a balanced attack on offense (not to mention situational substitutions or substitutions to keep him fresh), I don't think he'll reach 1500 yards this season. I would say 1400+.

What is the most yards a Gibbs RB or any Redskin RB has ever gotten?

In answer to my own question, I looked it up. The most yards for a back in Redskins history is 1,432 in 2001 by Stephen Davis. The most for a RB under Gibbs is 1,347 (Riggins) in 1983.

So I would be surprised is Portis gets 1500 yards.

Portis will not get 1500....I think a nice 1200 is in order. And to be honest...I'd be more happy with him just making clutch 1st down runs than worrying about his yardage.

Plus I think for all this talk about 3rd down backs, Gibbs will still get Portis some nice yards through the air.

Originally posted by Angus

Will the Portis of the AFC West be the same effective Portis in the NFC East?

Portis, we are told, rushed for more than 1,500 yards per season with Denver. In the AFC West he played six games each year against the Chargers (2), the Raiders (2), and the Chiefs (2), which collectively gave up 7,072 rushing yards last year. In the NFC East in the coming season he will play six games against Philadelphia (2), Dallas (2), and the Giants (2), which together gave up 5,404 yards against the run (more than 1,600 yards less). Do you think he can do as well against these intra-division rivals as he did against the ones in the AFC West? Or better?

http://www.nfl.com/teams

You make a good point. And KC's defense was really horrendous.

Yeah, he got a lot of yards against the Chiefs. And he also missed 3 games.

If we're gonna start making excuses for why he did well, we can.

I can also sit here and argue that his numbers will be even better with a more talented surrounding cast and HOF HC designing the offense. Oh, and a 16 season should help his #s - though as he's proven - he can run for 1500 without it.

Depends on what you consider as good.

Say he barely cracks 1000, but has 20 TDs plus 30-40 receptions and a bunch of long runs. Does that mean he's a bust? Not IMO.

I am sure if that were to pan out, every opposing team lurker will come to this board to make us eat crow. Those #'s are pretty sick. Also, if you couple that with a backup gaining a considerable amount of yards, Prtis stays healthy and we get to the playoffs, that means Coach Gibbs is protecting his investment. :D

Originally posted by jrfriedm

Okay lets look at who else the Bronco's played last year.

Opp Att Yds

Pitt 18 77

Balt 27 107

N.E. 29 109

Those are just some of the teams that have good defenses and Portis ran for good yardage on.

What's encouraging to me is the number of carries in those latter two. Wonder why so few against the Steelers. Did they maybe get way behind early... ?

Nick

I think Portis will do just fine. 1,500 yards is not out of the question, but I'm sure there will be a period of adjustment getting use to a new playbook and blockers. Portis' yards will depend alot on how fast the Boss Hog can get the line in shape for a solid ground attack. I look for Portis to get between 1,300 and 1,600 yards. Its a good bet that the Redskin single season rushing record will go down this year.

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

I like the question. I think that he will still be a break away threat that is absolutely frightening to think about should he break free of the front seven of any opposing defense.

HOWEVER, the NFC East is a very different division from the AFC West and I very definately expect to see his overall yardage and TD numbers come down from what they have been.

This is not saying he will not be effective as a top line "TB" (for whoever had a problem with my using the initials HB in a previous post). I think he will still have a great impact on the team and more importantly our opponents but to expect those numbers when we are replacing KC, SD and Oak with Dallas, NYG and Philly is a tall order. That's 6 games vs cupcake D's, becoming 4 games vs 2 very good D's and 2 games vs the G-Men who I never take lightly.

Originally posted by Phat Hog

In a Gibbs system, he should have well over 1200 yards….

I agree he should have over 1200 yards, however Gibbs system is a balanced system and RBs won't break the bank. Here are the leading rushers in each of Gibbs previous 12 seasons.

Year Rusher Yards

1981 Washington 916

1982 Riggins 513

1983 Riggins 1347

1984 Riggins 1239

1985 Rogers 1093

1986 Rogers 1203

1987 Rogers 613

1988 Bryant 498

1989 Riggs 834

1990 Byner 1219

1991 Byner 1048

1992 Byner 998

Originally posted by China

I agree he should have over 1200 yards, however Gibbs system is a balanced system and RBs won't break the bank. Here are the leading rushers in each of Gibbs previous 12 seasons.

Year Rusher Yards

1981 Washington 916

1982 Riggins 513

1983 Riggins 1347

1984 Riggins 1239

1985 Rogers 1093

1986 Rogers 1203

1987 Rogers 613

1988 Bryant 498

1989 Riggs 834

1990 Byner 1219

1991 Byner 1048

1992 Byner 998

Exactly, and I think that Portis will only touch the ball over 25 times in a few games. Gibbs will like to grind it..but Portis isn't exactly that kind of back. So Gibbs will make sure he spreads some touches around for the backups like Betts, Trung, or Morton (whoever makes the team)..

Because of this I still call Portis between 1200-1350. It's not that he can't do it...it's just that he won't be allowed to....

In the 6 games V his own division he faced the 26th 30th and 32nd rated run D's and he rushed for 806 on 126 carries for a 6.4 yd average. In the other games he rushed for 785 on 164 carries for a very good 4.8 yd average. In the only games he played against teams ranked in the top 15 run D's he averaged 4.3 per V NE....3.4 V Bal and 3.1 V Pit.

Conclusion...He didn't do so well against the top run D's but that's why they're the top run D's. I think SD Oak and KC should all send a drat pick do the Skins in appreciation for getting him the hell out of the AFC West.

Comparing Portis to any of Gibbs other FEATURE RBs is not a fair assessment of his talents.

Riggins and Byner were not very explosive they would beat a defense up and then break a few big runs during the course of it all.

If you want to look at an explosive back that played under Gibbs look no further than Timmy Smith , and we all know what he did.

Other explosive backs that Gibbs had Bryant and Washington didnt get nearly the carries that Portis will likely get, or that Riggins and Byner got.

With a healthy season Portis should easily reach the 1500 yard mark if he adjusts to the offense and the OL does their job.

Originally posted by illone

if Portis doesnt do well here, then the trade will not have been worth it. He has to rush for 1500 or more in order to justify the trade.

I'll take 1200 yds as long as he hits the end zone 15 times like he has been doing. Barring injury, I think several years down the road. Skins fans will look back on this trade and say we got the better of the deal.

Ya know, in thinking about Portis coming to a tougher division against the run...kinda makes you wonder why the Broncos were so interested in a "shutdown corner" when they have no receivers in their division? :2cents:

Archived