Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Foxsports - Who Should They Have Taken

J33Edwards

I apologize if this has been posted but I couldn't find it in a search.

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2333142

It goes from 1989 - 2002 and says who was picked and who think should have been picked.

2001 - Washington Redskins

Taken: Rod Gardner, WR Clemson

Should Have: WR Steve Smith (3rd), Utah

Gardner has shown flashes of greatness, but Smith is the better receiver who blossomed into a key playmaker for the Super Bowl bound Panthers.

--------------------------------------------------

2000 - Washington Redskins

Taken: LaVar Arrington, LB Penn State

Should Have: QB Tom Brady (6th), Michigan

The Redskins needed some consistency at quarterback. It might take a year or two, but Brady would turn out to be a much better option than Tony Banks and could flourish under Steve Spurrier.

Washington Redskins

Taken: Chris Samuels, OT Alabama

Should Have: OT Chris Samuels (1st), Alabama

There are a ton of great pass rushers on the board, but Samuels has worked out well for Washington so Samuels isn't a bad pick up. It this a reach at the number three? Possibly with Shaun Alexander still on the board.

...and then they go on to say we should have taken Ricky Williams instead of Champ full well knowing we have Stephen Davis in full swing at that point.

...and THEN they go on to say that the Ravens should have picked Shaun Alexander over Jamal Lewis. :doh:

Originally posted by scottb

What a rediculous premise. Using hindsight in this manner is absurd. It ignores the reality of the moment.

That's not even my problem...some of the stuff they're doing WITH hindsight being 20/20 is just absurd!

Originally posted by Henry

They're just trying to kill time during the offseason. It's an interesting idea, but not very well thought out.

Good point.

If they had gone by “should have taken ___ in round 4 versus ___ in round 4”, it would have been a much better article.

I'm still not convinced that Tom Brady is that great of a QB. Yes he's been on 2 teams that won superbowls, but he is by far not the most gifted QB. I think its more a matter of coaching and talent around him than Tom Brady leading a team like he was Elway or Marino.

Wow.

Brady would be horrible for anyone but the Pats right now. That system made him and it could break him just as fast. He is perfect for that system though, he knows exactly what to do, which makes him great.

But any other system he's awful.

I'd still take Lavar over him anyday. Brady would have been TERRIBLE under Spurrier.

What about this one:

32. Washington Redskins

Patrick Ramsey, QB Tulane

Should have taken:

RB T.J. Duckett (1st), Michigan State

Atlanta Falcons

Duckett isn't Stephen Davis, but he'd be a good backup and a great insurance policy when free agency when Davis went off to Carolina.

Now that's insightful analysis. I just wish we'd drafted Duckett instead of Ramsey, but I guess we have to acknowledge the draft is a crapshoot and we didn't know then what we know now.

Tom Brady would have been the 2K pick which means he would have been in year 2 under Shot. So the question would have been when George failed, would he have gone to Brady or gone outside the organization anyway? I think the offense that Shot ran (except for the OC problem, which is a biggie) may have worked as well as the Patriots one did for Brady. So we may never have had the SOS fiasco.

Of course, I would not trade Lavar for him now since both Brunell and Ramsey are better fits for the offense Joe Gibbs will probably want to run (though if he had Brady, I'm sure he adjust) and Lavar is not the one who we'd be trading if we could go back to that draft. 'What-if' historical analysis cannot generate analysis with solid 'truth' values, this would be just a fun starting point.

For example, Shot uses Brady, Brady performs (not as well as with the Pats but good enough) and we go, say 10-6 or 9-7 (remember, we'd still have both Brady and Lavar). Shot gets another shot and is able to go 11-5. We're a playoff team with SB desires. What Joe Gibbs doing this year? What about SOS?

Here's a much better analysis:

Taken:

Lavar

Samuels

Lloyd Harrison

Should Have Taken:

Traded down the #2 for an extra 2nd rounder and taken Brian Urlacher and Chad Clifton

Used the #3 for Corey Simon

Lavaraneous Coles w/ 3rd rounder

2001 Taken:

Rod Gardner

Should have:

Traded down for an extra 2rd rounder and drafted Chad Johnson and Shaun Rogers

2002 Taken:

Ladell Betts

Should have:

Packaged the 3rd rounder to move up a few spots in the 2nd and take Clinton Portis, or not trade down for the extra pick and taken Weaver

Taken:

Taylor Jacobs

Should Have taken:

Anquan Boldin, or Mike Doss

Saw this one:

3. Detroit Lions

Drafted :Joey Harrington, QB Oregon

Should have Drafted : RB Clinton Portis (2nd), Miami

Joey Harrington isn't working out for the Lions proving to be a horrible decision maker. To be fair, he has the worst running game in the league not helping him out. Portis quickly turned into one of the NFL's elite home run hitters.

and this:

19. Denver Broncos

Drafted: Ashley Lelie, WR Hawaii

Should have drafted: CB Quentin Jammer (1st), Texas

Lelie might eventually be a star after two mediocre seasons. If the Broncos had gone with a cornerback here, they might not have had to trade away a franchise back like Clinton Portis for Champ Bailey.

Give me a break. its like all the people now that say how they knew Leaf or Shuler were busts. Any team or expert had those guys at the top of the draft and would have grabbed em in a kentucky minute. Think about it with as much Coke as LT did when he played he could have been a bust or busted. Instead he was the baddest outside LB ever. Everyone now talks about what great draft pick he was. He was in the top of the draft and the top of college LB. He should of been good. He became great.

Archived