Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RUMOR: WFAN reportsBobby Taylor signs 7year 25 million dollar contract?

Lavarleap56

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1760318

Former Philadelphia Eagles cornerback Troy Vincent, one of the few impact players remaining on the unrestricted free-agent market, has agreed in principle to terms with the Buffalo Bills, ESPN.com has learned.

Vincent, a five-time Pro Bowl player and until Monday arguably the premier defender still available in free agency, chose the Bills over proposals made by the Cincinnati Bengals and the Kansas City Chiefs. He considered the offers during the weekend and after visiting with the Chiefs coaches and officials last week, and had promised all a decision by Monday.

Contract details were not yet available, but one league source said that Vincent's deal likely is for six years and worth about $20 million.

The Bengals immediately turned their attention to Vincent's former teammate in Philly, veteran cornerback Bobby Taylor, but seemed to be making little headway in attempting to fill its need at the position. In fact, league sources indicated that Taylor is suddenly being wooed by the Washington Redskins, who were scrambling Monday to create cap room.

Vincent, 32, not only will replace starting cornerback Antoine Winfield, who signed with the Minnesota Vikings as an unrestricted free agent, but also will bring even more class to a Buffalo organization that has stressed character under the stewardship of team president/general manager Tom Donahoe.

Universally acknowledged as one of the NFL's classiest players, Vincent has won several awards for citizenship and social consciousness. He is also one of the players on the NFL workplace diversity working group.

A 12-year veteran, Vincent has 42 career interceptions and 177 passes defensed, and had three interceptions in 13 games last season. The former University of Wisconsin star has 858 tackles, 4½ sacks, 14 forced fumbles and five recoveries.

While he may have lost a half-step, Vincent remains among the top corners in the league, and should be able to play on the edge for at least one more season before he eventually moves inside and concludes his career at safety. His ballhawking skills figure to be key to a Bills defense that statistically ranked No. 3 in the NFL in 2003, but which still struggles in the takeaway segment of the game.

Vincent began his career as a first-round choice of the Miami Dolphins in 1992, the eighth player selected overall that year, and then moved to the Eagles as a "transition" player in 1996. In Buffalo, he will be paired with Nate Clements, the Bills' first-round pick in the 2001 draft.

So Champ Bailey is expendable but Fred Smoot isn't? We would have two solid starting CBs in Springs and Taylor and a proven nickel back in Bauman, I think Smoot is overvalued as a player and we need help in other areas. Trading Smoot would allow us to recoup the 2nd rounder we lost in the Portis deal and give us a chance to actually address the DLine

Originally posted by Yomar

If we just signed Bobby Taylor, I would immediately turn around and try to trade Fred Smoot for a late 1st early 2nd round pick

Shut yo mouth :).

Doesn't make ANY sense to trade Smoot. He's young and has too great a possible upside. Taylor as a swing free safety corner could do a lot of things for us, but ONLY if we still have Smooty.

Smoot has a very limited upside in my opinion, but if you want to stick Taylor at FS, thats fine, although I'd still prefer to move Smoot and go with a secondary of Springs, Taylor, Ohalete, Bowen and Bauman and pick up another high draft pick to try and get some talent upfront....its all about the pass rush

Trading Smoot would make absolutely no sense. He takes up virtually no cap space and even if we did get a 2nd rounder we'd be hard pressed finding adequate replacement in the draft.

This signing provides depth and most importantly an insurance policy in case Springs lives up to his billing as the porcelain man. Smoot is in a contract year and now has the chance to prove that he is worth all this money that he has been lusting over ever since being drafted.

Smoot now has a chance to step out of Baileys shadow and make a name for himself.

Holy freaking cow.

Holy FREAKING cow.

Er, folks, let me just say that this offseason makes every other offseason look like a night in hell by comparison.

If this deal comes through, we are going to have the best secondary in the NFC East.

It's so funny - on any other team, you try to sign an RFA (see Jeremetrius Butler), and fail, and then you move on and try to fill the hole with a draft pick or something.

On this team, you fail to sign a mid-level RFA, and you go and sign a pro-bowler.

Wow.

BD

Nah, not really too concerned with an aging, injury prone CB who is on the downside of his career. But its funny when posts like this create such a stir when everyone marks out for it, then it turns out to be meaningless. Much like the incredible volume the Sapp to Dallas rumor saw when it was posted. And for what?

and if Smoot does prove to be worth the big money, how are we going to pay him? We won't have enough money to franchise him (as if he would ever be worth it but thats an entorely separate point). Trade him now when we can get something for him, next year he will be too expensive or a bust...now is the time for some action.

As for finding a replacement in the draft, we wouldn't have to find a replacement this year. Give Bauman a year to show if he could possibly slide in and in the meantime go with Taylor and Springs as the starters

Smoot has a very limited upside in my opinion, but if you want to stick Taylor at FS, thats fine, although I'd still prefer to move Smoot and go with a secondary of Springs, Taylor, Ohalete, Bowen and Bauman and pick up another high draft pick to try and get some talent upfront....its all about the pass rush

Yomar, if you don't see Smooty's possible potential you're scaring me. All year he gave up no touchdowns and only three or four plays of over 20 yards. The man TAKES the receiver he's covering away. His only bad stretch was when he had a back/butt injury that took away his legs for a few games last year.

Whether he's ready to be a No. 1 corner or not I don't and won't know until he's out there doing it. But, in two of the last three years, Smooty has had fewer shots taken at him than Bailey had. It may turn out that Smooty is just among the best No. 2 corners in the league.

If his play translates to the No. 1 job though, he'll be among the game's better players at that spot. I like Smoot. If he gets burned though, I'll tell you. I can't believe you don't see his upside given his play for most of the last three years.

HeHateMe, unlike the Sapp deal, the ESPN story does have a mention of this - that the Redskins were "wooing Taylor" at the "last minute" according to unnamed NFL sources.

Does that mean they've signed him? No. But it is an official mention, which is enough to suggest that this is at least a possibility.

BD

IIRC Ohalete is a UFA and probably wont be back now.

I too dont think that Smoot is going to be a superstar in this league but he will be a good #2 CB on this team.

Again the only problem I see is a lack of a pass rush that may expose our secondary, Taylor or not.

lavarleap56,

Please dont post a subject line like you have done on this thread. Notice how I have edited it? If you can not find a source to substantiate something you hear on freakin WFAN, then be sure to post it as a rumor, or with a distinctly less definitive thread title.

Archived