Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

'Skins looking at former Jets, Titans DT Josh Evans

goldenster95

Who do you fear more as QB of the Cowboys?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you fear more as QB of the Cowboys?

• Drew Henson - no one knows what he can do, but he's better than Quincy.
    • Quincy Carter - he's shown he can beat the Redskins, and he's mobile.
    • Chad Hutchinson - The other two both suck.
    • Ha! The Cowboys would be better off with Vinny Testeverde.

From the Bergen Record . . .

Saturday, March 13, 2004

By RANDY LANGE

STAFF WRITER

Defensive tackle Josh Evans has 10 days to figure out whether he'll stay with the Jets or find a new NFL home. And sources around the league say several teams are interested in the gung-ho Evans even though he would arrive with drug-policy baggage.

One of those teams could be the Giants.

They are in the market for tackles who can create havoc in opposing backfields, and new coach Tom Coughlin is familiar with Evans from when Coughlin's Jacksonville teams battled Evans' Tennessee teams twice a year in the old AFC Central.

Other teams that may have inquired about Evans are the Titans and Washington, for whom Gregg Williams, Evans' former defensive coordinator at Tennessee, is Joe Gibbs' new coordinator.

Although both sides have declined comment, Evans and agent Mitch Frankel have been given permission to seek a trade. Evans' alternative would be to stay with the Jets at a pay cut of about 60 percent, from $2.4 million in base salary to $1 million.

Evans, who won an appeal of a drug-policy suspension with the NFL two years ago, then lost an appeal last year and missed the first 10 games, has said he would like to remain with the Jets. He delayed payment of a $333,530 roster bonus for three weeks to consider his options.

LYNCH WATCH: Safety Rogers Beckett, who visited the Jets, is focusing on Tampa Bay, Carolina, and Cincinnati, his team last season, because John Lynch has entered the Jets' picture.

The Jets, because of their safety needs and coach Herman Edwards' close relationship with Lynch, remain the chalk pick to acquire Lynch, Tampa Bay's five-time Pro Bowl strong safety.

But to get him, they'll have to give him a physical (after he recently underwent neck surgery to remove bone spurs), then come to terms on a new contract, and agree on a trade with the Bucs.

BIG BLUE HIKE: The Giants, whose 4-12 record last season was their worst in 20 years, are raising ticket prices by $5 a seat. Ticket holders in the upper and lower tiers will pay $65, while mezzanine seats will rise to $75. The Giants' average ticket price was $61.99, 16th-highest in the NFL.

E-mail: lange@northjersey.com

Gibbs had Manley and his demons, but, with the move for "character" we hear reported and talked about in Washington, I'm not sure this is ideally a Gibbs guy. However, Williams probably has authority over the defense. Evans has some ability to generate pressure on the interior, but, I'm not sure he's really an upgrade over what we ALREADY have in terms of a player. He's a weaker run defender than Haley who would be our top reserve. In passing situations I'd expect Wynn or Daniels could provide similar inside push.

Evans would be a good depth move for extending our bench and rotation though. But this would have to be a "cheap" signing.

Originally posted by Darock

I wonder what is going through FO mind...don't they know we still have no pass rush....and we're offering favors and short contracts??......let's get some dline....

What's going through the mind of the front office is the words of their coaching staff telling them who they want to pursue and what they think about the players they have. Williams seems fairly confident he's got pieces capable of pressuring the QB. Gibbs calls Washington and Arrington "double jeapordy". I wonder if we plan on occasionally rushing a linebacker? :)

Originally posted by Art

Williams seems fairly confident he's got pieces capable of pressuring the QB. Gibbs calls Washington and Arrington "double jeapordy". I wonder if we plan on occasionally rushing a linebacker? :)

Double Jeopardy, now that's what I call a great moniker.

If he's being offered one million by the Jets, it stands to reason we would have to pay him more than that for the upcoming season or give him a decent signing bonus.

This means he wouldn't come cheap enough for a guy that's one misstep away from being gone for the whole season.

I say pass unless he comes for the veteran minimum.. which he won't. He's not a bad player, though... just too risky for the price.

Laurent....

My blood runs hot...but wondering if maybe thats a little too...shall we say...warm....for a sigline? My only concern is the kiddie set we seem to attract our share of.....that AND the frequently verbalized 'I'm at work cruising extreme' concern.

I'm not trying to make a huge deal out of it....I still pine for Johnny Punani's 'Back that *** up' sig to be honest, but it is getting pretty close to the line.

Archived