Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

McCants to get 1st Round Tender???

StevieInferior

Glad to know the FO knows how important he is to the team:

Meanwhile, Washington has exchanged contract proposals with fullback Bryan Johnson and is seeking a multi-year contract agreement. The Redskins would prefer not to tender Johnson, a restricted free agent, because he was undrafted in 2000, and there would be no compensation if he were signed away.

Washington's other restricted free agents are wide receiver Darnerien McCants, linebacker Antonio Pierce and safety Ifeanyi Ohalete. Only McCants seems likely to get the mid-level tender offer, which commands first-round compensation in return for a one-year salary of $1.368 million. The low tender offer pays $628,000 and has compensation at the player's original draft round.

Originally posted by SonnyJ

Very interesting...

My dislike for Gardner is probably doing the talking, but I wonder if this has any ramifications regarding his status with the team...

Maybe Gardner will be an attraction near the draft as a part of a pkg w/some team as trade bait?

:D

I LOVE this !!! He is Better than Rod Gardner.....I don't think he or Gardner has the Speed I would love to see opposite of Coles ! I can't stand Terrell Owens, BUT the Tought of Owens on one side and Coles on the Other makes me Salivate !!!

:dallasuck

Originally posted by NVskinsfan

Maybe Gardner will be an attraction near the draft as a part of a pkg w/some team as trade bait?

Maybe so, but I'm also not fooling myself that the Redskins have anything resembling a proven #2 WR if they do move Gardner. He's also pretty cap friendly for another couple of years.

As much as I dislike him as a player, it could leave a gaping hole.

If they could get a 1st or 2nd in return for him, though, I'd take my chances. :D

Not so sure McCants is the number two reciever everyone seems to want to make him. Gardner is a better reciever despite his 50/50 status.

Im getting visions of Darrius Thompson and Thrash.

If Gardner isnt dealt then is a number three reciever worth $1.3 million when Jacobs is sitting there?

Yeah decent speed he was used on returns initially.

D Mac and Gardner are two big targets with strength which is great since they will be part of the run blocking down field.

Hmm a DMac, Gardner, Coles, Kleinsaser and Portis potential arsenal ran by our 2 headed QB monster.

I'm not sure what McCants 40 was out coming out of my Alma matter. As I've stated many times in many forums, his doubters or those who think Gardner is clearly better then the kid are in for a rude awakening. He is fast. his size is what's deceptive. People say he's not fast of the line, but the point they are missing is that he is almost unjammable unless they put an LB on him at the line. Smaller WR's need to be quick off the break for separation. He doesn't need that. He's fast enough to get to his route after a jam. He's also bigger than 80% of db's in the league so they can't playing behind him or in front of him because he uses his body as a shield. I watched him first hand for 4 years at DSU. The Man is a gem. He's the Joe Gibbs type of player. Blue-collar, talent and coachable. I don't think we are going to let Gardner go this year. He'll be here. This is his chance to prove his worth. No jobs will be given to any player on the team this year. Whoever starts will have earned that spot. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but it's hard to read the what if posts, what if McCants was the #2 he would have to face good corners etc. The fact is he will excel at whatever spot he's put in, that's what you want from a player. People are talking like this is the old NFL when Man vs Man was the predominate coverage. that's not so, it's zone all day out there or a combination of man + zone. Way to go D-MAC from Alumi Statdium (DSU) - Fedex. Field Keep throwing that "D" up after every score. For the McCants fans that wonder what his end zone dance is all about he's making a “D” with his body and hands. It is the beginning of DSU's unofficial fight song, that gesture would signal to the Cheerleaders to finish the university's initials, then the band plays the fight song.

Gardner is by no means a cap breaker this season, so I'd be willing to keep a former 1,000 yard receiver on our club for another season, and allow him to re-establish his worth.

Had Jacobs played last season and been able to give us a glimpse of his potential, I think it would be alot easier for the front office to decide to trade Rod. There's just no way that we can go into the season with relatively unproven guys in McCants and Jacobs behind Coles. The last thing we want is to have L.C. taken out of the game by opposing defenses.

While Gardner's trade value is possibly worth a second rounder at the moment, he at the time being is the only other receiver besides LC who grabs opposing defenses attention.

Gibbs might be exactly what Rod needs to rededicate himself, because he know that Darnerian is inching closer to the #2 receiver position.

As for McCants, I hope he wins the #2 spot in camp. I appreciate the fact that he showed up at Coach Gibbs press conference, and I think it says alot about his character and the type of football player he hopes to become. I think we have alot to look forward to from Darnerian this season.

Originally posted by Rejuvenated Canadian Hog

As for McCants, I hope he wins the #2 spot in camp. I appreciate the fact that he showed up at Coach Gibbs press conference, and I think it says alot about his character and the type of football player he hopes to become. I think we have alot to look forward to from Darnerian this season.

lets not give him too much credit for showing up nor should we look down on players for now showing up to the press conference....

McCant's situtation with the Gibbs is different... he grew up as a redskins fan like us since he lived in the area... i am sure most of us if given access to that press conference, most of us have showed up...

I like this move on several levels!

What else can be said about Darnerian that other's have already mentioned? I also was impressed that he was at the Gibbs' press conference, so to me, and probably Joe, this spoke volumes. And, as mentioned previously, Darnerian is a Gibbs kind-of-guy.

One of the best parts about this, too, is that it will probably keep Darnerian from being picked up by another team, especially one such as the Eagles. Just like night, I was reading at the igglephans.com how a number of the fans at that board, who were familiar with Darnierian, wanted to target him to bolster their WR corp. BEEP! Sorry! If you want him, you will have to pay for it, and we know the Eagles FO probably won't do that. Just lovely - the last thing I wanted to see was Darnierian with the Iggles. :-)

Also, kappaluvacee, thanks that tidbit on Darnerian's endzone "stance." I always thought it looked neat, so it's cool to hear that it stems from D. State. A neat insight into the player, who, after reading a Washington Post article, seems talented, an insightful person, and a good guy. He's actually become one of my favorite players on the team, so you must be proud as a D. State Alma Mata to see him doing well.

Score another TD, Darnerian!

~B.

Archived