Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Germany to redesign Adidas soccer jersey numbering amid Nazi symbol controversy

German soccer authorities will redesign the number “4” on the country’s national jerseys amid claims it resembles a logo used by Nazi paramilitary units.

The German Football Association (DFB) made the announcement Monday after social media users began using an online customization service to create shirts bearing the number “44” — and pointing out the similarity to the Schutzstaffel, or SS, logo.

In a statement posted to X, the DFB said it had earlier submitted numbers 1 to 26 to European soccer’s governing body, UEFA, for review, and that “none of the parties involved saw any proximity to Nazi symbolism in the creation process of the jersey design.” The association said it was taking the matter “very seriously” and was developing “an alternative design” for the digit. 

While 44 is not currently used by the German men’s or women’s teams, official uniform supplier Adidas allowed customers to personalize the jerseys with a number, from 00 to 99, and a name up to 10 letters long. The resulting images generated by Adidas’ online shop were then widely shared online. 

According to Reuters, Adidas spokesperson Oliver Bruggen earlier told German media that the sportswear giant would “block the number 44 as quickly as possible,” adding: “As a company we actively oppose xenophobia, anti-Semitism, violence and hatred in any form.”

As of Tuesday, the option to customize the German team’s jerseys had been removed from Adidas’ websites, though it remains in place for other nations’ uniforms. Adidas did not immediately respond to CNN’s request for comment on its decision or whether the personalization service will return without the number 4. 

germannationalteamjersey.jpg

gettyimages-1228138405.jpg

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/02/style/germany-adidas-soccer-jersey-nazi-symbol-controversy-intl-hnk/index.html

Probably ban '88' for good measure too 

42 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

“none of the parties involved saw any proximity to Nazi symbolism in the creation process of the jersey design.”

🤣🤣🤣

Riiiiiiiight

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

I dunno, I don't see them being all that close, but it's an easy/good change to make to avoid any problems. 

This.  I think the 44 and the SS symbol are easily distinguishable, but not exactly a hill you'd want to die on.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

I guess it “get it” in the sense someone claims it looks like that and I can kinda see it

i would have never thought that on my own looking at them …

I think maybe people are too sensitive or too investing in finding a big deal in everything they see 🤷‍♂️ 

That's a reach to me. The SS symbol with two S's is at an angle rather than two upright fours. But there's no harm in either modifying the typeface to make the 4 look different or not allowing the ordering of that number on a shirt.

I think Nazi symbols are banned in Germany and so someone ordering a shirt with that particular number (which does not represent any player) might be outing themselves and get a visit from the authorities. 

2 hours ago, Skins24 said:

🤣🤣🤣

Riiiiiiiight

This is where diversity in the workplace pays for itself versus a room full of folks that all look at something, think the same thing, and thus see the same thing...

1 hour ago, tshile said:

I guess it “get it” in the sense someone claims it looks like that and I can kinda see it

i would have never thought that on my own looking at them …

I think maybe people are too sensitive or too investing in finding a big deal in everything they see 🤷‍♂️ 

Germany owns the mistakes they've made in their history harder then most countries can even come close to.

If it bothers them, it doesn't matter to me who it doesn't bother.  Too much else going on in the world, this is how they want to deal with their own history, I say let them and walk away.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1