Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

26 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I just generally feel like Johnson is ours to lose. That might be the Adam Peters hire talking, but this just feels like the top opportunity. I probably just jinxed it

I don't know.  Am guessing 50-50.  But that's my guy and by a good margin so I hope so.

A.  Keim-Mike Jones saying its Ben Johnson and no one is even close to him when they ask their contacts from various FOs when asking about which offensive coodinators are in demand as HC.

B.  Keim saying its far from a slam dunk 

C.  And I know some dismiss Carolina but am worried about a desperate billionaire trying to save Bryce Young and is used to getting what he wants.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

And I know some dimiss Carolina but am worried about a desperate billionaire trying to save Bryce Young and is used to getting what he wants.

I’m guessing Harris is used to getting what he wants too. But I get your fear. I think Atlanta is a bigger threat for Johnson than Carolina. From what I’ve read, Tepper sabotaged Reich with forcing his guys onto the staff and causing division. I think their GM search and hire is going to be very telling when it comes to their head coach hire. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't know.  Am guessing 50-50.  But that's my guy and by a good margin so I hope so.

A.  Keim-Mike Jones saying its Ben Johnson and no one is even close to him when they ask their contacts from various FOs when asking about which offensive coodinators are in demand as HC.

B.  Keim saying its far from a slam dunk 

C.  And I know some dismiss Carolina but am worried about a desperate billionaire trying to save Bryce Young and is used to getting what he wants.

I have to think Tepper is going to turn off Ben Johnson.  You know Ben will do so analyzing of him before he meets up with him, if he meets up with Tepper.  Tepper is a weird dude, to say that least.  

Last 10 Super Bowls and whether coaches were Offensive or Defensive:

2022: Chiefs over Eagles - both offensive HC
2021: Rams over Bengals - both offensive HC
2020: Buccaneers over Chiefs - both offensive HC
2019: Chiefs over 49ers - both offensive HC
2018: Patriots over Rams - defensive HC* (Belichick/Brady) beat offensive HC (McVay)
2017: Eagles over Patriots - offensive HC (Pederson) beat defensive HC* (Belichick/Brady)
2016: Patriots over Falcons - defensive HC* (Belichick/Brady) beat defensive HC (Dan Quinn)
2015: Broncos over Panthers - offensive HC (Kubuak) beat defensive HC (Ron lol)
2014: Patriots over Seahawks - defensive HC* (Belichick/Brady) beat defensive HC (Pete Carroll)
2013: Seahawks over Broncos - defensive HC (Pete Carroll) beat defensive HC (John Fox)

Last 10 years Summary:

Offensive HC in Super Bowl: 11/20 -> 55%
Defensive HC in Super Bowl: 9/20 -> 45%
Defensive HC who aren't Belichick with Brady: 5/20 -> 25%

Past 5 years:

Offensive HC in Super Bowl: 9/10 -> 90%
Defensive HC in Super Bowl: 1/10 -> 10%
Defensive HC in Super Bowl who aren't Belichick with Brady: 0/10 -> 0%

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I’m guessing Harris is used to getting what he wants too. But I get your fear. I think Atlanta is a bigger threat for Johnson than Carolina. From what I’ve read, Tepper sabotaged Reich with forcing his guys onto the staff and causing division. I think their GM search and hire is going to be very telling when it comes to their head coach hire. 

Yeah my fear is he pulls on early years Dan move.  Marty you say you wouldn't work for me.  How about a pay you more than any other team would AND give you personnel control. 

Tepper seems so desperate to get Ben Johnson, I wonder if an everything and the kitchen sink lures him to go back to his home state.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CapsSkins said:

Last 10 Super Bowls and whether coaches were Offensive or Defensive

This is all well and good, but there are far more offensive based head coaches in the league, so it’s not really a telling stat.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah my fear is he pulls on early years Dan move.  Marty you say you wouldn't work for me.  How about a pay you more than any other team would AND give you personnel control. 

Tepper seems so desperate to get Ben Johnson, I wonder if an everything and the kitchen sink lures him to go back to his home state.

Psycho might not be who Ben wants to coach for.  

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

This is all well and good, but there are far more offensive based head coaches in the league, so it’s not really a telling stat.

The fact there are more offensive head coaches is telling in of itself. The distribution isn't random you know.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I have to think Tepper is going to turn off Ben Johnson.  You know Ben will do so analyzing of him before he meets up with him, if he meets up with Tepper.  Tepper is a weird dude, to say that least.  

Maybe.  I've watched some of Tepper's interviews over the years.  Watched him on the Amazon show that followed the Panthers.  He didn't come off weird to me.

I don't think he's a good owner.  But I think he's capable of charming a HC prospect in an interview.

Harris can clearly charm a HC prospect, too but I think there is a limit to an offer from Washington especially in the context of power.    I wonder if there is a limit with Tepper -- heck maybe Tepper says Ben can pick his own GM.  Tepper seems really hung up on getting him so I wonder what's not off the table with him?

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Entirely possible. I can definitely see that, but someone like Johnson who is going to have his pick of the litter? It’s going to have to be exorbitant.

Also, I don’t recall too many other teams clamoring for Schottenheimer, Shanahan, or any of Snyder’s hires. The only time we were in competition for someone, that was McCoughan. And our competition was the Raiders

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If the coach is aiming for complete control, I'll decline that proposition anyway.

Opting for Washington over the Panthers, especially if absolute power is offered, will speak volumes about the individual. I assume the financial aspect will be comparable in both locations. Perhaps Tepper deviates from the norm and provides more than 5 years guaranteed.

2 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

The fact there are more offensive head coaches is telling in of itself. The distribution isn't random you know.

So, by your same logic, offensive coaches fail more than defensive coaches 

1 minute ago, HigSkin said:

One OC guy who I haven't heard linked for an interview is Brian Callahan.  Wonder why?

Same with Frank Smith. I was very high on him early on. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wit33 said:

If the coach is aiming for complete control, I'll decline that proposition anyway.

Opting for Washington over the Panthers, especially if absolute power is offered, will speak volumes about the individual. I assume the financial aspect will be comparable in both locations. Perhaps Tepper deviates from the norm and provides more than 5 years guaranteed.

If lets say someone else offered you twice the money and twice the power to return to your home state -- might be tempting

Marty on national TV basically said Dan was a bad guy and would never work for him.  Not that long after Dan offered him a big contract and full control and Marty changed his tune.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, spjunkies said:

Hopefully they can land Johnson but I think the bozo in Carolina is going to break the bank for him.

I think the hiring of Peters coupled with Harris being owner swings Johnson to us

I find it unlikely that Johnson will want to risk flaming out in his first chance at being a HC being sabotaged by a meddling owner and DC/Northern Virginia is a short drive to NC if that's where he wants to spend his free time.

• Like 2