Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

27 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Not surprised at all. Watching Trai Turner and Andrew Norwell try and connect with anybody on the move was a nightmare. 2nd level defenders and backside pursuit were always there.

Leno isn't much of a run blocker either.    Norwell as to PFF grade was decent as a run blocker, but I admit I haven't sat down and studied him.

2 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Warning: Unlike last year you have to park at the Dulles Town Center mall and a bus will take you to the facility (unless you have ADA). Last year you could just park outside the facility and easily walk to the camp.

It's a small gripe but I think they're expecting a lot of people with the bleachers built.

Yuk!

34 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Yuk!

But there is a reason.  They have bleachers and can accomuy whole lot more fans, more than they can accommodate parking.  

It might be a bit of a pain but they’re paying for it and it provides more access so it makes sense 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Leno isn't much of a run blocker either.    Norwell as to PFF grade was decent as a run blocker, but I admit I haven't sat down and studied him.

Yes but PFF had no earthly idea what they are looking at so toss that stupidity out with the Sunday trash….

2 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

That's a refreshingly different look at record predictions. They've got the AFC really cleaning the NFC's clock in inter-conference games.

Not surprised at all. Watching Trai Turner and Andrew Norwell try and connect with anybody on the move was a nightmare. 2nd level defenders and backside pursuit were always there.

Surpisingly, the Saints just signed Trai. Not sure what they're expecting to get from him. I assume depth. 

• Confused 1

In a phone booth, sure I'd believe Norwell was better than Leno. But actually connecting in space, Leno could and Norwell couldn't. Run blocking shouldn't be viewed by PFF as just seal off or push away the man on your playside shoulder (or wherever the immediate guy is). Norwell could not climb well and reach the linebackers. He could not pull well. Pursuit often reached the spots our RB's on stretch plays or WR's on screens were trying to go through. Big plays are kind of impossible at that point.

8 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Surpisingly, the Saints just signed Trai. Not sure what they're expecting to get from him. I assume depth. 

I don't understand how anyone who puts on tape of Trai playing in 2022 thinks his legs have anything left in them. Saints will learn I suppose.

Edited by Always A Commander Never A Captain
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

In a phone booth, sure I'd believe Norwell was better than Leno. But actually connecting in space, Leno could and Norwell couldn't. Run blocking shouldn't be viewed by PFF as just seal off or push away the man on your playside shoulder (or wherever the immediate guy is). Norwell could not climb well and reach the linebackers. He could not pull well. Pursuit often reached the spots our RB's on stretch plays or WR's on screens were trying to go through. Big plays are kind of impossible at that point.

I don't understand how anyone who puts on tape of Trai playing in 2022 thinks his legs have anything left in them. Saints will learn I suppose.

I desperately miss having the 6th best oline in the NFL, multiple seasons in a row. According to PFF anyhow. It's so absolutely pivotal to a successful offense. I will never forgive Ron if his minor offensive line moves this past offseason don't work out 😢

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

As for Leno being a better 2nd level blocker, probably.  I have to sit down and just watch the O line one day.  I've done it in bits and pieces but not much. 

It's hard for me to just go by memory from watching games because my eyes are typically focused on the ball.   By reputation, Leno is seen as a decent pass blocker, not so much run blocker.  I don't recall memorable 2nd level blocks from Leno but again i don't know i have to sit down one day and just watch the O line.

26 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

But there is a reason.  They have bleachers and can accomuy whole lot more fans, more than they can accommodate parking.  

It might be a bit of a pain but they’re paying for it and it provides more access so it makes sense 

Yes but PFF had no earthly idea what they are looking at so toss that stupidity out with the Sunday trash….

Agreed.

My knee-jerk reaction was/is based on the fact that this organization ****s up so much, that this will be a PITA too.  With the new regime, I should probably re-calibrate my expectations.

We'll be there Saturday so that gives them a couple of days to work the kinks out.   I'm hoping that the VIP access, (which has been pretty nice over the years),includes seating in the shade.   

We'll see.

14 hours ago, Conn said:

We all talk about the questionable OL and EB helping the passing game. But it’s an underrated concern that we also need more explosion from our running game. Don’t feel like pulling up the highlight right now to check but it’s not a good sign when in his one start, Howell may have rushed for our longest rushing TD of the season. 

Well, league rules require the refs to find a holding call on any Washington run of 10+ yards, so there's that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Agreed.

My knee-jerk reaction was/is based on the fact that this organization ****s up so much, that this will be a PITA too.  With the new regime, I should probably re-calibrate my expectations.

We'll be there Saturday so that gives them a couple of days to work the kinks out.   I'm hoping that the VIP access, (which has been pretty nice over the years),includes seating in the shade.   

We'll see.

in prior years the STH just got a tent with snacks which is what I'm expecting Friday. I will say the bleachers make it look professional for once. Although last year the people bringing their own chairs to watch was great, I could just bring in my chair and umbrella and sit by the sideline drinking water 

Redirecting the roster talk to this thread…

OL - going to be interesting to see if they think Stromberg has a real chance at stepping in at C or G if need be.  I mention guard because the team seemed to feel he can play both on draft day.  Here’s hoping Daniels, or somebody like Mason Brooks shows something.  I think Cosmi moving to guard is going to be big… just don’t feel great about his availability.

WR - IIRC, injury has held him back so far, but I think Kaz Allen’s the dark horse in this group (to make the team and contribute).

Corner - if Martin mans the slot position, I actually like our depth with St Juste and DJ.

LB - I can’t say I’m excited about our linebackers, but I have some hope they can be ok at least.  Davis has improved, Barton seems like he’s trending up (no idea how he transitions to this D of course), Hudson finished strong, Eifler’s got an athletic profile (don’t know about the mental side of his game though… I assume he’s still a year away from truly contributing, but who knows), and while Mayo ain’t much, he’s a quality STer and seems like he has the smarts at least.

DL - Young and Mathis are the ones to watch for me, though I’m curious about Henry as well (and Ridgeway’s development).

TE - not optimistic Thomas and Turner can stay (at least mostly) healthy, but if they can, I kinda like the duo combined with Bates (and an offense that might utilize them a bit more, and more creatively).

Overall, setting aside ST, seems like we’ve got 3 high quality units - WR/S/DL, 1 that could reach that status - the corners, 1 solid unit - running backs, and 3 lower quality units that could possibly elevate to decent - TE/LB/OL.  Which leaves QB… our one true wildcard.  I’m optimistic, but who the heck knows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

in prior years the STH just got a tent with snacks which is what I'm expecting Friday. I will say the bleachers make it look professional for once. Although last year the people bringing their own chairs to watch was great, I could just bring in my chair and umbrella and sit by the sideline drinking water 

Years ago, they gave out VIP passes that allowed sideline access and tours of the facility.  They were kinda/sorta tough to get.

Last season, I skipped TC and spent a day at the OTA's instead.  I will say that they had a very nice shaded area with a huge catered breakfast, made to order omelet stations, fresh fruit, all kinds of breakfast items and unlimited soft drinks for the duration. 

I called the ticket office and asked, and the rep said that they would have the tent that you described.  I'm hoping that VIP gets us seats in those shaded areas in the bleachers.   I don't feel like lugging a chair and a cooler on a bus.     

The rep also said that the "Know before you go" email that they usually send should be out by Wednesday.   She said that they were running a little behind due to the all of the recent excitement.   It was very refreshing to see how excited she was about the new regime.

• Like 2

You got to stop touting Al Galdi and Ron Rivera if you are going to stay on the warpath against PFF.   ;)

I’m kindof of Ron.  His comments about PFF were one of the things that drove me there.

Al ALWAYs couches PFF as not the be-all, end all.  And the time when the PFF knuckle heads make the mist sense is when they are on Galdi’s show and he asks them specific football questions and they aren’t left to their own devices.  

I like Al. He’s big into analytics but also says they are just one of many tools.  

PFF is the devil.  It is what it is.