Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

6 hours ago, mudhog said:

This is awesome SIP. Thank you! I know that you and GC and the rest of the ES draft-gurus with their own big-boards were talking recently about starting a big-board thread. I'm sure it's a huge amount of work along with things like this post here, not to mention your real life schedule, but have you or anyone decided to actually start one? I'd love to see someone's actual board on here. Even if it's a cut-and-paste thread where folks can see what our OWN educated ES talent evaluators have for themselves. The first and only big-board i've ever seen was the PFF board that was leaked a week after the combine.

Thanks.  I won't have time to watch enough to do all of that.  And I'd rather watch a lot of a player then a little of a bunch of players.  It makes the draft a lot more fun for me when they hit a player and I've likely watched some of their interviews, know a little bit about them, and watched them play enough that I can pontificate on the fly about them. Studied their stats-measurables,  So to do that I have to watch and rewatch.  Been watching the WR and TEs on and off for months so I feel good about those picks at least in my own mind.

The other three positions I've been watching on and off for months are DE, RB, OT.  So I am going to hit those here am almost done with OT.  Watched some CB-S but not sure I'll have time to go deep at those spots but I might give it a shot but I'll feel less confident about them.  Watched very little of LB, OG, C, DT.  So I'd rather go deep on the spots I've watched than than cram and hit the ones I barely watched. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Is Peyton Wilson off your draft board?  He's a top tier player on film, but that injury history is truly scary.  Where would you say it's ok to take him?  

I would probably put him in the top 30 if he didn't have the knee injury history.  The shoulder stuff isn't as worrisome to me because of the success of Allen here.  I would take Wilson in the 50s, as I think there is a shelf in quality there where he's so much better than typical 50s ranked guys like Braden Fiske, that I can live with the risk.  I suspect he'll go before that though.  If he goes much later than that, then we can safely assume the knee issues are worse than we thought.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I would probably put him in the top 30 if he didn't have the knee injury history.  The shoulder stuff isn't as worrisome to me because of the success of Allen here.  I would take Wilson in the 50s, as I think there is a shelf in quality there where he's so much better than typical 50s ranked guys like Braden Fiske, that I can live with the risk.  I suspect he'll go before that though.  If he goes much later than that, then we can safely assume the knee issues are worse than we thought.

I haven't watched him in eons but liked him when i did.  Some smoke that Colson ends up the first LB taken

8 hours ago, MrJL said:

one thing I noticed this weekend looking round mocks, there's people saying our desire to trade back into the first is the worst kept secret around

Jason Reid from ESPN been pushing that for weeks.  Keim was asked from Sheehan, he didn't know but could see it either way.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

7 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

What about Antoine Winfield Sr as a comparison? Maybe I'm overvaluing Kenny Moore, but he's an above average to really good Nickel corner. I think that's valuable enough to spend a 2nd rounder on.

I get not wanting to spend #36 or #40 on Sainristil. But trading back and grabbing him at #50+? 4 years of 80% snaps at above average play is great value.

I'm a Kenny Moore fan, and I always get suckered into these kinds of players.  I was a big Clark Phillips fan too, and he was actually pretty good for a surprisingly excellent Atlanta secondary last year.  But note the places where Moore and Phillips were drafted.  Even if Sainristil is a richer version of those guys, that's still not top 50 value for me.

Add Elijah Molden into the pile too.  And Honey Badger was like the Bill Gates version of this kind of player, and he's had a feast or famine NFL career where his scheme/situation has been the determinant for whether he is good or downright bad.  He's either an All Pro or a journeyman cap cut with like 5 AV, and many more bad seasons than great ones.

Guys like this can't hold up in man coverage, and a lot of teams don't want to feature/build their schemes around limited players like them.

Sainristil has special intangibles and some of the best ball skills you could want.  He is probably closer to Honey Badger than he is to Phillips.  But that would still put him in the third round.

• Thumb up 2

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I haven't watched him in eons but liked him when i did.  Some smoke that Colson ends up the first LB taken

I can see it.  It looks like teams are going to pay a Michigan player premium this year, on everyone except for the actual best player on the team, Blake Corum, who is being mocked a round and a half below where he should be going.  It's happened with Georgia players the past couple of years.  I will never understand Travon Walker going #1 overall, he was one of the worst reaches I've ever seen.  Nobody really does post mortems on these horrendous draft failures, and the draft media never seems to learn from them.

Just going to reiterate that Corum's film is amazing.  If we pick Corum and Drake Maye, we will have one of the best offenses in the NFL in like two years.  We should pick them.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I can see it.  It looks like teams are going to pay a Michigan player premium this year, on everyone except for the actual best player on the team, Blake Corum, who is being mocked a round and a half below where he should be going.  It's happened with Georgia players the past couple of years.  I will never understand Travon Walker going #1 overall, he was one of the worst reaches I've ever seen.  Nobody really does post mortems on these horrendous draft failures, and the draft media never seems to learn from them.

Just going to reiterate that Corum's film is amazing.  If we pick Corum and Drake Maye, we will have one of the best offenses in the NFL in like two years.  We should pick them.

Love to have Drake Maye and Corum.  But I got a bunch of RBs grouped together in a similar range Corum included so am not really married to one specifically.  

The older age of thiis years prospects don't bother me in most spots but they do to some extent at RB. 

I think Shipley might be slept on some from the draft media.  Good age.  Good athleticism.  High intangibles. Can do it all including return kicks.  4th round range or so he's a riser for me.  But there are a bunch of RBs i like including late rounders.  Blake Watson has been my guy for eons.

I like Tracy and i know you do.  i like Vidal late.

Early I love Brooks but don't know if he's healthy.  Estime.  Corum. Benson.   I like Wright as a third down type.  Davis has been one of my favs but hard to get over him turning 25 during the season.

Screen Shot 2024-04-22 at 7.15.14 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Fiske also has injury issues apparently.  He's also apparently well-liked by the NFL according to Michael Lombardi.  I could see him becoming DT3 after Murphy & Newton.  

10 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I could see Dallas say just screw it and take him in R2.  They need a RB as badly as anyone in the NFL.  He'd be amazing there.

Edited by mhd24

24 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I'm a Kenny Moore fan, and I always get suckered into these kinds of players.  I was a big Clark Phillips fan too, and he was actually pretty good for a surprisingly excellent Atlanta secondary last year.  But note the places where Moore and Phillips were drafted.  Even if Sainristil is a richer version of those guys, that's still not top 50 value for me.

Add Elijah Molden into the pile too.  And Honey Badger was like the Bill Gates version of this kind of player, and he's had a feast or famine NFL career where his scheme/situation has been the determinant for whether he is good or downright bad.  He's either an All Pro or a journeyman cap cut with like 5 AV, and many more bad seasons than great ones.

Guys like this can't hold up in man coverage, and a lot of teams don't want to feature/build their schemes around limited players like them.

Sainristil has special intangibles and some of the best ball skills you could want.  He is probably closer to Honey Badger than he is to Phillips.  But that would still put him in the third round.

Great write up on Sainristil. You are hammering his size limitations that should probably keep him out of the first two rounds as well as hitting on the guys incredible positives. This guys was one of my favorite players to watch this year and his coaches and teammates adored the two time captain.

I don't recall anyone talking up your comparison of Phillips more than you and I. Part of that was knowing he would probably go in late 3rd or 4th rounds and he would be superior to any other CB's in that range. The two players are identical size wise. Sainristil IMO has more upside than Phillips so I absolutely see a team taking him no later than the beginning of the 3rd. He is still learning the position after switching from WR which is crazy to me based on his skills.

Edited by DWinzit

Yeah 67 feels like the right range for Sainristil.  I think he gets picked some where between there and 78.  Guys like him don't really star in the NFL, unless featured in a D like KC does with their zone slot defenders, but they also don't really bust.

But 67 is the pick I'm eyeballing guys like Corum, Cooper Beebe, and Bralen Trice at. I'm dreaming big there.  Probably none of them will still be on the board, but maybe.  I'm also trying to guess where T'Vondre Sweat will go.  Might still be able to get him at 100, but if he's got a serious drinking problem, I'll pass until 139.  On sheer talent, he's huge value at 67 though.

Maybe Austin Booker or Jonah Elliss are in play around 67 too.  Elliss was an All American like Sainristil too, and Booker is a true home run swing.  Zierlein's comp on him is freaking Maxx Crosby, and I don't think he's way off base.  The guy is shockingly skilled and creative for a late comer to football with almost no starting experience. His basketball background is a big plus for pass rushing because he has such good CoD and hand eye foot coordination.  But he's strong and tough enough for football.

Point being, I'm still hunting for potential stars at 67, and Sainristil would be down my list for favorite outcomes at that spot.  I also think we can snag good corner value in the fourth round.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Yeah 67 feels like the right range for Sainristil.  I think he gets picked some where between there and 78.  Guys like him don't really star in the NFL, unless featured in a D like KC does with their zone slot defenders, but they also don't really bust.

But 67 is the pick I'm eyeballing guys like Corum, Cooper Beebe, and Bralen Trice at. I'm dreaming big there.  Probably none of them will still be on the board, but maybe.  I'm also trying to guess where T'Vondre Sweat will go.  Might still be able to get him at 100, but if he's got a serious drinking problem, I'll pass until 139.  On sheer talent, he's huge value at 67 though.

Maybe Austin Booker or Jonah Elliss are in play around 67 too.  Elliss was an All American like Sainristil too, and Booker is a true home run swing.  Zierlein's comp on him is freaking Maxx Crosby, and I don't think he's way off base.  The guy is shockingly skilled and creative for a late comer to football with almost no starting experience. His basketball background is a big plus for pass rushing because he has such good CoD and hand eye foot coordination.  But he's strong and tough enough for football.

Point being, I'm still hunting for potential stars at 67, and Sainristil would be down my list for favorite outcomes at that spot.  I also think we can snag good corner value in the fourth round.

I'd add Brooks to your list for 67.  Maybe Tez Walker (although he's truly boom/bust).

Final 1st round mock:

1. Chicago-Caleb Williams

2. Washington-Jayden Daniels(hope to god I'm wrong)

3. New England-Drake Maye

4. Arizona-Marvin Harrison

5. Minnesota(from LA Chargers)-JJ McCarthy

6. NY Giants-Malik Nabors

7. Tennessee-Joe Alt

8. LA Chargers(from Atlanta)-Rome Odunze

9. Las Vegas(from Chicago)-Michael Penix jr.

10. NY Jets-Brock Bowers

11. Atlanta(from LA Chargers thru Minnesota)-Dallas Turner

12. Denver-Jared Verse

13. Chicago(from Las Vegas)-Quinyon Mitchell

14. New Orleans-Taliese Fuaga

15. Indianapolis-Olu Fashanu

16. Seattle-Troy Fautanu

17. Jacksonville-Brian Thomas jr.

18. Cincinatti-JC Latham

19. LA Rams-Laiatu Latu

20. Pittsburgh-Jackson-Powers Johnson

21. Miami-Byron Murphy

22. Philadelphia-Terrion Arnold

23. LA Chargers(from Minnesota)-Amarius Mims

24. Dallas-Graham Barton

25. Green Bay-Jer'zhon Newton

26. Kansas City(from Tampa Bay)-Troy Franklin

27. Arizona-Kool-Aid McKinstry

28. Buffalo-Ladd McConkey

29. San Francisco(from Detroit)-Tyler Guyton

30. Baltimore-Nate Wiggins

31. Detroit(from San Francisco)-Cooper Dejean

32. Tampa Bay(from Kansas City)-Chop Robinson

6 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I'd add Brooks to your list for 67.  Maybe Tez Walker (although he's truly boom/bust).

Agreed.  I go back and forth on Walker more than any other receiver in the class.  I want to give him the benefit of the doubt because he missed a lot of time early and had to play catch up all year, and that UNC offense was so dysfunctional.  But the moments where he ****ed up big and lost games for his team really bother me because they typically showed a genuine lack of competitiveness and toughness.  I can stomach lapses in focus, but not being soft and quitting on plays.  And then all of the drops at the SB and even during Drake Maye's throwing session at the UNC Pro Day... these are not in game situations where the pressure is ramped up.  He is too risky to draft before the fifth round IMO.  I'd pass on him and let someone else take the big swing.

13 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I'm not sure how valuable this kind of mentorship really is.  Guys can either play or can't, and being around greatness won't eventually turn a mediocre player into a good one.

In sticking with the discussion of Wagner mentoring a young LB, I feel my suggestion would dramatically benefit. James Williams who is processing a transition to LB from his impressive time at safety. He offers all the qualities you look for a LB without the experience at the position. He'd need to see the game from the LB role and learn to move differently through the trash and angles on tackles but fits what the staff wants and should be reachable in the 4th or 5th round. You'd like him a little faster but you can't teach 6'4" and comes full of S instincts. I see him being able to grow with Wagner and all of our fine defensive coaching into a quality LB/S.

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Plenty of talk that Aiyuk will get traded during the draft by SF. I hope we are all in on that.

I want Brandon Aiyuk here badly with the right price.   Hopefully we can get a wink wink type deal for AP and his former team....

• Like 1

I might be reading to much into this, but could the amount of 1 year deals by us mean that Maye will be the pick and we'll sit him for a while. And then with the vast amount of cap space for next year really make some Big moves in free agency once Maye is the regular starter. 

38 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

I want Brandon Aiyuk here badly with the right price.   Hopefully we can get a wink wink type deal for AP and his former team....

There is talk of a first rounder. Jax and Pitt especially. However, balanced with his contract situation, SF might have to lowers their expectations.

Aiyuk, Mclaurin, Dotson, plus we could still dip into the loaded WR draft pool later on. 

18 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Hmm...

Guess we won't have a shot at Leggette.

Well I not sure that’s the most professional approach from either the team, or prospect…

6 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Well I not sure that’s the most professional approach from either the team

Dave Tepper knows exactly what he’s doing - was watching Dans draft day strategy from the last few years in a bar with the volume down, but got the gist of it. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

There is talk of a first rounder. Jax and Pitt especially. However, balanced with his contract situation, SF might have to lowers their expectations.

Aiyuk, Mclaurin, Dotson, plus we could still dip into the loaded WR draft pool later on. 

Well I not sure that’s the most professional approach from either the team, or prospect…

I'm think SF probably get a 2nd for Aiyuk. If we take Dainels, I would not be shocked if we go get Aiyuk.

Edited by Redskins 2021
  • Like 1

On 4/16/2024 at 6:38 AM, mhd24 said:

I think if Brooks is there at 71, I'm running to the podium and taking him.  I don't care if he's an RB.  He represents too much value at that point in the draft.  With B-Rob, Ekelar, and Rodriguez, we can sit him an allow him to recuperate.  

71 is fine for Brooks, I'm just skeptical he'll last that long. I've heard him pre injury comped to poor man's Breece Hall, and Hall's a current top 3-5 RB talent in the league and a tier 1 guy period. Brooks is the only guy in the class w/that kind of ceiling. So sure, go for it. I also liked it simply for the fact that it kind of helps the '24 tank for a '25 pick in that he'll still be working his way back to full fitness until '25. the other backs are simply too speculative to me in terms of ceiling, I don't really see it w/most of them. 

5 hours ago, Going Commando said:

If Cooper Beebe is there in Round 3 then you sprint to the podium.  

But overall I am really excited about Round 2.  I think we are going to get a stud to fall to us at #36.  Could be Mims or even Barton....I just hope we keep getting QBs to go in the first round, it will only push more talent into Round 2.

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Interesting, McConkey or Thomas drops? Medicals are usually the sneaky reason why some of us are floored that certain players drop in the draft.

Medical are one of the biggest thing to drop players.

Edited by Redskins 2021