Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 minute ago, seantaylor=god said:

What do you guys think of Patrick Paul, OT? Worthy of our 2nd? 

From what I've heard he's super raw but could develop and might be worth taking in the 2nd, but I feel like there will be better options.

3 hours ago, mhd24 said:

He'll fall, but I figure we'll have to take him with that early 4th.  You think he lasts that long?  I really liked how Rodriguez ran last  year in his limited reps.  The key is that at least one backup RB must be able to play teams. 

Estime is going to get lost in the crowd of skill players who ran way better than him, including RBs.  But to his credit, he still measured and jumped really well, so his RAS is still good.

If he runs a way better 40 at his Pro Day, that'll probably resuscitate his stock to the fourth round or so.  Maybe we would have to take him with the Chase Young pick, but we have another pick two spots after that one.  Right now, I think he can be drafted in the fifth.  4.7 for an unheralded RB is really low draft value.

I'm penciling in my favorite scenarios if we were to trade the seconds to go up and get Bowers with them should he fall.  I think this is realistic:

2 - Maye

15 - Bowers

67 - Bralen Trice/Jonah Elliss/Austin Booker

100 - Sedrick Van Pran

102 - Audric Estime

137 - Jamari Thrash

We'd be trading out of the range of good day 2 OLs and corners, but not edges.  The trade off would be grabbing the TE prospect of the generation, which feels worth it to me.

I also think that Estime might still be available at 137, and that we could go Van Pran and someone like Beebe or Zinter with 100 and 102 and supercharge our IOL pipeline.

67 is the slot where I think BPA will be the flawed edges who are still good.  I don't think anyone had a more damaging combine than Trice.  To measure so small and run so slow tanked his draft stock by at least a full round.  I think he's a top 25 player that will probably go in the 60s.  Both PFF and NFLDRAFTBUZZ now have him around 67 on their big boards.

If we stay put in the second, I like trading down from one of the high seconds and getting something like this:

40 - Morgan

~ 50 - Mike Sainristil

And using the third we would pick up from that big drop to either get someone like Patrick Paul or maybe make sure we get Van Pran.  Then use 100 and 102 on something like Jeremiah Trotter and Estime.

I like that scenario almost as much as the one where we move up for Bowers.

• Like 2

Just now, Going Commando said:

Estime is going to get lost in the crowd of skill players who ran way better than him, including RBs.  But to his credit, he still measured and jumped really well, so his RAS is still good.

He's one of my favs too.  He looked good in the combine drills.  Looked spry.  Doesn't surprise me his agility scores were elite. 

On the same note watched a little Isaac Guerendo this morning, talk about a guy who doesn't look as fast as to his play versus his time at the combine.

14 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

What do you guys think of Patrick Paul, OT? Worthy of our 2nd? 

On the table for me as to the 2nd pick in the 2nd round.  In that range I'd prefer Morgan if he falls

Paul is a bit raw, but has freakish length and is a good pass protector

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Maye/Bowers/Van Pran would be a hell of a trio on offense to build around

I haven't watched Van Pran yet.

But if they somehow got both Maye and Bowers in this draft, I am headed to camp now and buying my jerseys.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Maybe it's just me, but this feels like the best draft I've seen in ten years or so. Trading up for anyone feels so stupid.

I know I'm on an island on this and I'm probably wrong, but we have about 20 guys under contract and I know we should grab a QB at 2 (Maye), but there are warts on all 3 QBs and we could absolutely crush this roster with a ton of youth in this draft is we tarde out of 2, 36 and 40.

There are obvious starters in the 3rd, 4rth, 5th and on. We could sign a vet QB like Baker and draft half a roster and be very good.

There's going to be OL, DB RB, WR, everything available every day of this draft and we can load up on future picks for when Archie comes out. 

Hell, Howell and Penix with a well built run first offense and dominating defense will get us to the playoffs. 

I know Maye at 2 is the call we're supposed to make, but we're in a bare bones rebuild right now, with a patient owner and solid GM that has preached patience. I think we're a playoff team next year regardless, just from our all star coaching staff.

The talent in this draft from 40-120 is bonkers and I can't look away from it and our roster is empty. We're an expansion team essentially. I'm high on Maye and Williams and JJ, but it's not like they don't have legit knocks on them. Maye is a big Howell. I'm guessing it' having the same coaches, that they have the same issues.

I want 20 picks between 40-120 and a first next year. I'm having trouble moving off this line of thinking, even though I know "you take the QB". It's just such a unique situation for us to be in. The HOG is good with the slow build and wants a dynasty and that #2 has such value going forward.

It's like every single thing has lined up perfectly for us to build a completely new team from scratch (yes I know it's worthless without the QB, but Herberts team sucks and Purdys is great)..

I know I'm probably wrong, but I can't move off this. This draft is so stacked.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Maybe it's just me, but this feels like the best draft I've seen in ten years or so. Trading up for anyone feels so stupid.

I know I'm on an island on this and I'm probably wrong, but we have about 20 guys under contract and I know we should grab a QB at 2 (Maye), but there are warts on all 3 QBs and we could absolutely crush this roster with a ton of youth in this draft is we tarde out of 2, 36 and 40.

There are obvious starters in the 3rd, 4rth, 5th and on. We could sign a vet QB like Baker and draft half a roster and be very good.

There's going to be OL, DB RB, WR, everything available every day of this draft and we can load up on future picks for when Archie comes out. 

Hell, Howell and Penix with a well built run first offense and dominating defense will get us to the playoffs. 

I know Maye at 2 is the call we're supposed to make, but we're in a bare bones rebuild right now, with a patient owner and solid GM that has preached patience. I think we're a playoff team next year regardless, just from our all star coaching staff.

The talent in this draft from 40-120 is bonkers and I can't look away from it and our roster is empty. We're an expansion team essentially. I'm high on Maye and Williams and JJ, but it's not like they don't have legit knocks on them. Maye is a big Howell. I'm guessing it' having the same coaches, that they have the same issues.

I want 20 picks between 40-120 and a first next year. I'm having trouble moving off this line of thinking, even though I know "you take the QB". It's just such a unique situation for us to be in. The HOG is good with the slow build and wants a dynasty and that #2 has such value going forward.

It's like every single thing has lined up perfectly for us to build a completely new team from scratch (yes I know it's worthless without the QB, but Herberts team sucks and Purdys is great)..

I get the thought process but you gotta get that stud QB. There is no QB store you can just shop from in the future. You don't wanna be a team like the Falcons or Steelers where you "build up the team" and then rot in mediocrity because there are no legitimate realistic plans to find that stud franchise QB.

Once you get the QB, everything else is easy peasy. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Most boards I've seen have him in the 70s.  I think he's in play in the third.

Weren't we just talking last week about being worried Paul doesn't make it to 36? This draft is nuts. 

Imagine getting Paul and SVP with our 3rds. Doesn't seem right.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I keep making the Terry Comp for Pearsail, but he might be my favorite WR (for where he'll be drafted) in this draft. I get St Rah vibes. He's going to be one of the best WRs from this draft and might be there in the third.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

The idea that Maye is just a big Howell has been hit back as way off by people including me @Going Commando and others here.

But forget us.

I was listening to Maye's high school coach on Sheehan who doesn't just know Maye well but knows Howell since he was a kid and is close to his family.  Apples to oranges as players.  It's not just the size. 

As Nick who is a fan of this team and works for PFF said the only things Howell has in common with Maye is they are white dudes from North Carolina.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I get it. It wouldn’t be my preference, but if you signed Baker to a 3 year deal and then drafted a in the middle rounds to develop QB, inject the roster with talent, we would be super competitive short term and long term.

But I think these are blue chip QBs, so I wouldn’t do it.  I honestly do trust GMAP and if he isn't sold on a QB at 2 I’ll trust the process.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I get the thought process but you gotta get that stud QB. There is no QB store you can just shop from in the future. You don't wanna be a team like the Falcons or Steelers where you "build up the team" and then rot in mediocrity because there are no legitimate realistic plans to find that stud franchise QB.

Once you get the QB, everything else is easy peasy. 

I totally get it and I'm not even walking up that hill to die on it, but I can't stop seeing it.

I get it when Snyder is the owner and Ron is the coach and poo pipes are breaking and handicapped railings are failing and injuring opposing QBs, but we have the hottest coaching staff, getting huge improvements and a new stadium coming. We're getting back to being the number one franchise in the NFL again. We'll have options we haven't had in 30 years.

• Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I keep making the Terry Comp for Pearsail, but he might be my favorite WR (for where he'll be drafted) in this draft. I get St Rah vibes. He's going to be one of the best WRs from this draft and might be there in the third.

Coming from a dude at the time without much company on the board who wanted Terry and had to defend the pick to some here.  They were very different college players.

Terry was mostly a deep threat, big play dude at Ohio State. 20 YPC in college.  Killer special teams player, great blocker. 

Pearsall to me if we need to use a comp to a player who played here is somewhat of a cross between Crowder and Dotson.  Likely a slot Wr in the pros.  Great hands.  He kills you with crossers on the 2nd level and YAC.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The idea that Maye is just a big Howell has been hit back as way off by people including me @Going Commando and others here.

But forgot us.

I was listening to Maye's high school coach on Sheehan who doesn't just know Maye well but knows Howell since he was a kid and is close to his family.  Apples to oranges as players.  It's not just the size. 

As Nick who is a fan of this team and works for PFF said the only things Howell has in common with Maye is they are white dudes from North Carolina.

Hold the ball too long, good runners, make bone headed throws. There are similarities between the two besides being white dudes from UNC. 

It's not a lock that Maye is the next Herbert anymore than he's the next Tubinski.

Look, I love Maye and want to draft him. I'll be over the moon with the pick and I know it's the right move. I really do.

But he isn't perfect or a can't miss, generational yada yada. There are legit hits on him and if Peters isn't 100% sold on him at 2, you don't take him.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Coming from a dude at the time without much company on the board who wanted Terry and had to defend the pick to some here.  They were very different college players.

Terry was mostly a deep threat, big play dude at Ohio State. 20 YPC in college.  Killer special teams player, great blocker. 

Pearsall to me if we need to use a comp to a player who played here is somewhat of a cross between Crowder and Dotson.  Likely a slot Wr in the pros.  Great hands.  He kills you with crossers on the 2nd level and YAC.  

He's 6'1" 198 right? That sounds like an X.

• Thumb up 1

20 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Trading up for anyone feels so stupid.

Bowes is literally the only player I would move up for. If he started to slip due to positional value. His value to a rookie QB cant be measured imo. 

Alt 5.07 at that size is ridiculous. 

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Bowes is literally the only player I would move up for. If he started to slip due to positional value. His value to a rookie QB cant be measured imo. 

Alt 5.07 at that size is ridiculous. 

I love Bowers and have wanted to draft every TE in the first that seemed worth it since OJ Howard and even wanted to trade for him, but in this draft I wouldn't lose picks. I want more.

I'd be fine drafting Theo in the 2nd and Sinnott in the 3rd, but I'm not using two picks on any one player in this draft

25 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Hold the ball too long, good runners, make bone headed throws. There are similarities between the two besides being white dudes from UNC. 

It's not a lock that Maye is the next Herbert anymore than he's the next Tubinski.

Look, I love Maye and want to draft him. I'll be over the moon with the pick and I know it's the right move. I really do.

But he isn't perfect or a can't miss, generational yada yada. There are legit hits on him and if Peters isn't 100% sold on him at 2, you don't take him.

You got multiple points running at once so I'll hit them one at a time.  Though am bit burned out on defining Maye so I'll do the cliff notes on him.

A.  It's not a lock that he's the next Herbert.

Sure.   But I don't care.  How many locks do we recall?  Usually QBs aren't locks in advance.  Some say Burrow was.  But I recall some concerns about him -- arm strength, one year wonder, mobility, product of his supporting cast.    If we want to be a Big Boy team, lets IMO have some Big Boy balls otherwise the odds are we never will be a Big Boy team.

B.  Similar players.

Maye IMO has better vision, sees the field better and in turns seems more patient going through his progressions.  While Maye off platform ranges from special to sucking, he's very inconsistent, its something he needs to work on, he will actually throw off platform.  Howell in college had some Daniels in him in that when he rolled in the pocket the next move was often taking off.   Maye IMO with better pocket presence.  Similar is they are both tough and have strong arms IMO.  Both took sacks but Howell was more prone I believe. I mean if you look at any two Qbs you find some common traits on a thing or two.  But overall I find them different.  Howell from what I recall was lethal on out routes.  Maye in between the numbers.

C.  If Peters isn't sold on him "100%" you don't take him.

I am assuming you don't mean the 100% part.  ZERO chance he's going to 100% believe in any player at #2, as you know that's not how the draft works.  Of course, I don't want Peters to take a player he doesn't like.  Early-leaks rumors are they indeed do like Maye and are unlilely to trade down.  Will see.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

He's 6'1" 198 right? That sounds like an X.

I don't look at it purely based on size.  But if I did that size feels more Z or slot than X.

He played more slot in UF both this season and the previous season especially.  I think he can play anywhere.  But if I had to pick a spot it would be slot, maybe Z.   

28 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

I get it. It wouldn’t be my preference, but if you signed Baker to a 3 year deal and then drafted a in the middle rounds to develop QB, inject the roster with talent, we would be super competitive short term and long term.

But I think these are blue chip QBs, so I wouldn’t do it.  I honestly do trust GMAP and if he isn't sold on a QB at 2 I’ll trust the process.

This is one of the reasons why I say picking up Mayfield or perhaps one of the other fridge quarterbacks is better for you because then you have the ability to trade out of the second round pick you up or take the best tackle right there. You can probably pick up a quarterback in the second to sit for a year or two behind somebody if you really wanted to I don't think they do that but I keep pointing it out if you can solve the quarterback problem by a free agency then you have so much more flexibility with all of those pics in the first three rounds

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You got multiple points running at once so I'll hit them one at a time.  Though am bit burned out on defining Maye so I'll do the cliff notes on him.

A.  It's not a lock that he's the next Herbert.

Sure.   But I don't care.  How many locks do we recall?  Usually QBs aren't locks in advance.  Some say Burrow was.  But I recall some concerns about him -- arm strength, one year wonder, mobility, product of his supporting cast.    If we want to be a Big Boy team, lets IMO have some Big Boy balls otherwise the odds are we never will be a Big Boy team.

B.  Similar players.

Maye IMO has better vision, sees the field better and in turns seems more patient going through his progressions.  While Maye off platform ranges from special to sucking, he's very inconsistent, its something he needs to work on, he will actually throw off platform.  Howell in college had some Daniels in him in that when he rolled in the pocket the next move was often taking off.   Maye IMO with better pocket presence.  Similar is they are both tough and have strong arms IMO.  I mean if you look at any two Qbs you find some common traits on a thing or two.  But overall I find them different.  Howell from what I recall was lethal on out routes.  Maye in between the numbers.

C.  If Peters isn't sold on him "100%" you don't take him.

I am assuming you don't mean the 100% part.  ZERO chance he's going to 100% believe in any player at #2, as you know that's not how the draft works.  Of course, I don't want Peters to take a player he doesn't like.  Early leaks rumors are they indeed do like Maye.  Will see.

I'm really not arguing against Maye. He's my QB1 and I totally get the value in that. If we pass and he hits, it's a huge miss for us and I get that.

You can't generally win without the QB is a fact.

I'm just saying that he isn't without warts. He's not a sure fire hit like Luck or Lawrence and this draft is so loaded that that 2nd overall has huge value in other ways.

It's our chance to load future drafts like the Bears, Dolphins and Eagles have in recent years. Bears are still bad, Eagles and Dolphins are now good. SD is still bad and they have the QB and a loaded roster. 

I guess I'm saying if we're looking at the future and a 3 year plan, the QB vs the team debate has merit because of the strength of this draft class.

If it was last year and the QBs were there and we were at 2 looking at these QBs, it's a no brainer.

I mean,  I guess the entire point I'm trying to sell is moot, because the owner isn't sitting in meetings if you're thinking about trading out of the first round. You're obviously taking the QB.