Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Christian Jones

This is one of my climbers at RT right here. He is a little grabby in pass pro. But he is smooth when turning on his blocks. Decent to the second level in the run game as well. And he has that nasty streak you want out of your OL.  I didnt watch a ton of Texas' games. But I am going to go back and watch some. Not a ton of vid out there for him. But I did find this one:

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I hope JPP does fall and we can grab him. 

looking at the OT measurements, another guy that was extremely disappointing is Jordan Morgan. His arm length was 32 and 7/8.

How much do you think Fuaga’s length is going to hurt him (33 and 3/8)?

Woof, somehow I missed Jordan Morgan. He can't play Tackle in the NFL at that length. That's Guard only.

Fuaga's length is doable but difficult. There have been OT's that have made it work, it's just uncommon. The jump to the Pro's with Edges who are much more refined with long arm techniques and the like will be problematic. I'm not saying he should be Guard only, but a team that drafts him has to have that in the back of their mind and be ready to pull the position switch on a 1st rounder. Basically, don't pull a Ron Rivera and try and make a short armed Sam Cosmi a Tackle for 2 years.

To put Fuaga's length in perspective, that's how long Brandon Scherff's arms are. He made the switch to Guard almost immediately after struggling against Ryan Kerrigan, Preston Smith, and Trent Murphy on the 1st day of training camp. All 3 of those Edge's liked using long arm rush techniques. The switch was helped when the noticeably longer armed Morgan Moses did well on that 1st day.

I don't think Fuaga should be drafted with his position written in pen, but pencil. Relying on that length to pan out happens, just not often.

Zak Frazier I think is the only center who might sniff the First round. 

I'm nervous about Paul going in the first as well. 

I really want Paul and JPJ for our 2nds.

I bet we can grab a pretty good LBer and WR in the 3rd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

I hope JPP does fall and we can grab him. 

looking at the OT measurements, another guy that was extremely disappointing is Jordan Morgan. His arm length was 32 and 7/8.

How much do you think Fuaga’s length is going to hurt him (33 and 3/8)?

Yeah I saw Morgan's length numbers, and I think they might be enough to get him projected as a guard instead of tackle.

I don't think Fuaga's length will drop him.  His overall size is still really good and his film is so strong.  I think he'll stay in an early teens range, but it would be nice if he started to fall.

The thing that Morgan and Fuaga both still have in their favor is a decent wingspan.  They are so wide bodied that they can use one hand techniques and extend their length.

JPJ's height and weight are ok for guard, but I would start to worry about him getting matched up one on one with the really tall IDLs of the league given that sub 32" arm measurement. If he were a king sized IOL, I would say no brainer first round pick.  But he's small by NFL standards, and that stuff matters a lot in formulating draft stock for linemen.  I think all of the best IOLs are going to be there in the second.

• Like 2

In the Monday and Tuesday Hot Press editions, WalterFootball.com disclosed how Ohio State defensive tackle Michael Hall Jr. and Oklahoma right tackle Tyler Guyton needed to have good performances in the team interviews because of makeup concerns. Hall has significant character issues, while Guyton isn’t someone who is a bad kid but needs to address his immaturity. Another player who team sources have said needs to interview well is BYU offensive tackle Kingsley Suamataia. Similar to Guyton, sources shared that Suamataia is not a bad kid but they have concerns about maturity and work ethic. He has a reputation for being a freak athlete who could be a star at the combine, and sometimes players who are that gifted have not had to develop a serious work ethic. As a pro, Suamataia will have to work hard, so teams will want to see that his maturity has developed along with a willingness to push himself.

https://walterfootball.com/nfl-hot-press-2024-senior-bowl-rumors-wednesday.php

I think Quinyon Mitchell is going to end up in the first round.  Him and Jonah Elliss were the two defensive players that I was eye-balling as BPA candidates at 36, but it feels like Mtichell is bound for the 20s.  He's a climber who has been undervalued to this point.  He's a two-time All American from Toledo.  He's not getting shined up by his program like Kool-Aid and Arnold and Lassiter and Wiggins and Dejean.

Normally zone/off man corners tend to drop in the draft, but that's usually when they are small.  Mitchell is full-sized and has passable length.  If he's there at 36, then he's a very strong contender for BPA.

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

He's not big, not strong, not fast, has bad hands, and he has a bad football IQ.  Suffice to say I'm not a very big fan of this prospect.  I was intrigued by him after the Miami game, but have been off of him since he essentially lost the Georgia Tech game for UNC.

This is not a situation where I would want to pair up a QB prospect with a target from his college team.

I like Daniel Jeremiah, but reading through his top 50 this year makes it seem like he hasn't watched a lot of film on these guys yet.  This opening line about Tez Walker stood out to me:

Walker is a tall, long wideout with outstanding speed and hands.

Not a single one of those assessments is accurate IMO.  Luke McCaffrey is actually a little bit bigger than him, and nobody is calling that guy a big WR.

I also think DJ is overrating many of the WRs and OTs, but oddly underrating Nabers, and underrating Bowers, Latu, and Verse.

I can tell he's watched Byron Murphy though, and that's why he's so high on him.  Murphy is getting slept on some, and is underrated vis a vis T'Vondre Sweat by most other big boards.  I think it's super telling that, in the games I watched, Murphy was the one the offense targeted for double teams rather than the 360 pound monster beside him.  The guy who gets the double is usually the good player, and Murphy demonstrated experience handling doubles and making plays against them.

Anyone who liked Calijah Kancey last year is probably going to like Murphy.  He's definitely another BPA candidate at 36 for us, and everyone who is calling for Jon Allen to be traded needs to be thinking about this guy.  He's the last good option in this draft class at replacing Allen adequately in year one.

• Like 2