Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Guardian: ‘Too provocative’ mermaid statue causes stir in southern Italy

Cooked Crack

The voluptuous statue of a mermaid placed in a square in a fishing village in Puglia, southern Italy, has caused a stir for being “too provocative”. 

The statue was created by students at the Luigi Rosso art school in Monopoli before being positioned in a square named after the scientist Rita Levi-Montalcini. 

The artwork, which is yet to be officially inaugurated, became a target of ridicule after photos taken during its installation were shared on social media. 

The Bari-based actor Tiziana Schiavarelli wrote on Facebook that a friend in Monopoli had “rightly expressed some perplexity about this ‘monument’”. 

“It looks like a mermaid with two silicone breasts and, above all, a huge arse never seen before on a mermaid. At least not any I know.”

Adolfo Marciano, the headteacher of the Luigi Rosso art school, defended the statue, saying it was a “tribute to the great majority of women who are curvy”. He explained that the students were tasked by the mayor of Monopoli to create several statues for the town, including one on the theme of the sea. 

“The students got together and came up with the idea of a mermaid,” Marciano said. “The council was shown the scale model and said it was good, and then decided the completed sculpture would be placed in the square.” 

Marciano said he did not want to cast judgement on the students’ inspiration, but that he viewed the work “as a representation of reality, in this case of the female body”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/apr/28/too-provocative-mermaid-statue-causes-stir-in-southern-italy

Said mermaid

Spoiler

600.jpg?width=620&quality=45&dpr=2&s=none

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

This is random, but whatever. 

Few years ago I was training for a sprint triathlon. The swimming was the part I was worried about the most so I spent a lot of time swimming at a rec center nearby. Pretty nice indoor pool. 

Sometimes I’d go in the late morning and every once in awhile I’d see this girl there swimming laps in a ****ing mermaid tail. You could tell she was some emo cosplay looking chick but I remember the first time I stuck my head under water when I was swimming and saw her, I burst out laughing and got a nose full of water. 

• Haha 2