Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

VF: Alec Baldwin Will Be Charged With Involuntary Manslaughter in Rust Shooting

Cooked Crack

13 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

It was reckless to point a gun at the victim. And it was reckless that live ammunition was anywhere near that movie set.

Have worked in the business for years. Don't understand how live ammo would be on set -- but that's on the armorer, not the actor. 

And actors have to point guns at people all the time. Was it called for in this shot? Doesn't sound like it, but putting the responsibility on the actor is pretty nuts based on my experience. 

I think what hurts Baldwin is that he was a producer on the movie and it sounds like it was not the safest environment overall. Lots of mishaps.

But counting on an actor to check to see if a gun is cold and to not point it in a certain place.... it's something you would never do, trust me. You have armorers and a prop master for a reason.

I can't imagine anything like this ever happening.

Live Ammo... I mean, Jesus. 

Obviously it was just a mess of a production and Baldwin does have to own some of that for sure. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hooper said:

Have worked in the business for years. Don't understand how live ammo would be on set -- but that's on the armorer, not the actor. 

And actors have to point guns at people all the time. Was it called for in this shot? Doesn't sound like it, but putting the responsibility on the actor is pretty nuts based on my experience. 

I think what hurts Baldwin is that he was a producer on the movie and it sounds like it was not the safest environment overall. Lots of mishaps.

But counting on an actor to check to see if a gun is cold and to not point it in a certain place.... it's something you would never do, trust me. You have armorers and a prop master for a reason.

Obviously it was just a mess of a production and Baldwin does have to own some of that for sure. 

I remember hearing something along the lines of they had to do yet another retake of the scene, so Baldwin, feigning anger, jokingly pointed the gun at her and pulled the trigger.  Which is different than pointing it as part of the scene itself.  

Still, the fact that there was live ammunition in the gun - or anywhere on set at all - was reckless and shocking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Souza reportedly told investigators that Baldwin was sitting in a pew in the area's church practicing his cross draw, facing the camera and crew and pointing the revolver toward the camera lens, when the shooting occurred, according to a search warrant affidavit.

Halls had handed the gun to Baldwin while proclaiming "cold gun," to let the crew know a gun with no live rounds was being used, according to a search warrant affidavit.

Hutchins was killed by a live round inside the gun, authorities said.

I'd bet this has happened 10k+ x before on a movie set without incident. 

3 hours ago, Hooper said:

I suspect the live ammo came from the armorer accidentally mixing up the ammo in a container with live ammo (that came from her fathers prop house business). 

Edited by The Evil Genius

14 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I suspect the live ammo came from the armorer accidentally mixing up the ammo in a container with live ammo (that came from her fathers prop house business). 

In my experience, dummy rounds look different than live ammo -- the ones I have seen have a little dot on them to indicate they were dummies. 

So the armorer obviously didn't look at the ammo in the gun, then said it was a "cold" gun. 

You are supposed to open the gun, show that it's dummy ammo in front of everyone -- crew and cast. It's routine. 

Clearly none of that happened. 

Edited by Hooper
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Hooper said:

In my experience, dummy rounds look different than live ammo -- the ones I have seen have a little dot on them to indicate they were dummies. 

So the armorer obviously didn't look at the ammo in the gun, then said it was a "cold" gun. 

You are supposed to open the gun, show that it's dummy ammo in front of everyone -- crew and cast. It's routine. 

Clearly none of that happened. 

Allegedly the armorer didn't hand the gun to Baldwin. From an article I posted, it was someone else (the first assistant director) who gave Baldwin the gun.

How that gun was cleared is probably what is being investigated. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Thumb up 1