Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Last of Us - Season 1

PleaseBlitz

16 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Definitely the weakest episode so far.  I really wish they didn't bother with the DLC episode at all because we only have 2 episodes left and there is a lot to get to.  

feel like it works much better if they have 10 episodes in the season. With only 3 left and they spend 1 of those on this that halts all momentum and tension with the current Joel storyline, I don’t think it makes sense. The next two episodes are going to have to be breakneck paced because there is still a lot of material to get thru 

3 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

feel like it works much better if they have 10 episodes in the season. With only 3 left and they spend 1 of those on this that halts all momentum and tension with the current Joel storyline, I don’t think it makes sense. The next two episodes are going to have to be breakneck paced because there is still a lot of material to get thru 

The lengths of the last 2 episodes are pretty short as well.  I believe the last episode is the shortest of the whole season.

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Definitely the weakest episode so far.  I really wish they didn't bother with the DLC episode at all because we only have 2 episodes left and there is a lot to get to.  

See I thought it was one of the better episodes and wish they had a few more like this. I just don’t know how they wrap up in the next two episodes… unless we’ve been lied to and season 1 does not equal the entire first game. Goes back to my complaint last week about how HBO is short changing the show. 

Edited by TheGoodBits

1 hour ago, TheGoodBits said:

See I thought it was one of the better episodes and wish they had a few more like this. I just don’t know how they wrap up in the next two episodes… unless we’ve been lied to and season 1 does not equal the entire first game. Goes back to my complaint last week about how HBO is short changing the show. 

If we had 10-12 episodes I'd be fine with this episode.  But we have 9 and I feel like spending 1/9 of the entire on the DLC which came after you finish the full game, was just kind of a waste.  Like that episode does nothing to progress the story at all in the grand scheme of things.

Like it was a good episode, but in the totality of the whole story, it was pretty pointless and the weakest of them all IMO.

4 hours ago, purbeast said:

Each to his own.

Personally, I thought it was one of the strongest episodes...

Maybe I'd feel differently if I had ever played the game?

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

24 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Each to his own.

Personally, I thought it was one of the strongest episodes...

Maybe I'd feel differently if I had ever played the game?

Yeah I mean I know where it's going story wise and there is a lot left but we have like an hour and 30 minutes left of the show.

EDIT:

Unless we're not getting the full game in season 1, but I thought it was confirmed that season 1 is the full first game.

Edited by purbeast

4 hours ago, purbeast said:

Yeah I mean I know where it's going story wise and there is a lot left but we have like an hour and 30 minutes left of the show.

EDIT:

Unless we're not getting the full game in season 1, but I thought it was confirmed that season 1 is the full first game.

the full game is season 1. 

On a related note, I did love the episode but feel like this episode was the first time all season where the pacing of the season was noticeable. I think this season should have been 12 episodes and maybe we spend an episode with Joel and Ellie in Nebraska hunting or something but have a few episodes mixed in where it’s just character building and it gives the big moments like Tess, Henry/Sam, Riley etc time to shine. Feels like the characters need to breathe a bit and get away from the rush of everything where it feels like every episode has to try to rip our heart out. I know it follows the game closely but in the game there could be 3-5 hours between these things happening where we are getting them back to back to back. 

being that the second game is twice as long and full of things like this and also has a pretty unique structure already, I am really curious how the pacing will feel. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

10 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

the full game is season 1. 

On a related note, I did love the episode but feel like this episode was the first time all season where the pacing of the season was noticeable. I think this season should have been 12 episodes and maybe we spend an episode with Joel and Ellie in Nebraska hunting or something but have a few episodes mixed in where it’s just character building and it gives the big moments like Tess, Henry/Sam, Riley etc time to shine. Feels like the characters need to breathe a bit and get away from the rush of everything where it feels like every episode has to try to rip our heart out. I know it follows the game closely but in the game there could be 3-5 hours between these things happening where we are getting them back to back to back. 

being that the second game is twice as long and full of things like this and also has a pretty unique structure already, I am really curious how the pacing will feel. 

I read something for either Druckmann or Mazin that speculated they would break the second game into two seasons. There’s a spot in the game where it would happen fairly naturally. 

40 minutes ago, TheGoodBits said:

I read something for either Druckmann or Mazin that speculated they would break the second game into two seasons. There’s a spot in the game where it would happen fairly naturally. 

yeah it’s a natural place to break if you are in the game and can immediately continue playing it even play again a few days later but holy **** that’s going to be a really tough way to bring audiences back for a season 3 after 1-2 years off and play things out from there. Maybe they’ll film it LOTR style all at once or film a really long season and split it in half where the second half airs a few months later. If they do that, I wonder how much they will reveal of the second half 

part 2 spoilers 

Spoiler

Like would you just entirely run through Ellie getting revenge on the WLF in season 2 and then end at the movie theater with Abby holding Ellie at gunpoint and the audience having no real idea who Abby is or why she did what she did?

then we come back for Season 2B/season 3 and it just goes with Abby the entire way from the end of TLOU in the hospital to the WLF/Owen to her 3 days in Seattle to get her to the theater?  That would be wild. Then we’d still have at least 3-4 more episodes to tell the story of Abby going to Santa Barbara and getting captured, Ellie and Dina’s farm life, Ellie chasing Abby and finding her at the rattlers, their fight and her return to an empty home.

plus you have to mix in the Joel flashbacks. If we don’t get the space museum I am going to be incredibly pissed. 

I saw someone suggest that season 2 starts out with Abby in Seattle after having killed Joel but doesn’t explicitly say that.we just know she did something to someone who wronger her and then follow her through Seattle for her 3 days chasing down someone that’s killing her group, Lev and the Seraphites etc ending in the theater. Then we don’t realize she’s been chasing Ellie until Ellie busts in the room at the end and gets held at gunpoint. Then it flips to show Ellie’s side of things so non-gamers would think it might just be an anthology series or a story loosely connected to Joel/Ellie until the Ellie reveal at the end of the season. Might be hard to keep the audience that way though. Plus it makes empathizing with Abby easier and hurts one of the most important aspects of the game which is taking a character you are supposed to hate and then making you walk in her shoes and realize she is as justified and morally right as the heroes you love were/are. And maybe the heroes are bad/wrong. 

so I don’t know what they will do. They have a lot of options. It’s going to be exciting to see it play out 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I didn’t realize this but 

casting spoiler 

Hide contents

Troy Baker aka Joel from the games is going to be David next week. Wow that’s going to be fun. I hope he plays him just as creepily as the original 

I’ve been watching some of the behind the scenes stuff. Marlene from the games is Marlene in the show. Tommy from the games was the bearded commando guy in Kansas City. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Most unrealistic part of the entire season is that someone could learn the fatalities in MK that quickly. I had MK2 on SNES for years and learned 1 on my own. 

They had MK2 posters in their room so I'm guessing they also had gaming magazines, which listed the moves and stuff.  

I had MK2 on SNES and had known every damn fatality for a long ass time before it came out on SNES.

There is also a really cool thread going on on the arcade forums I visit, where 2 of the guys on the forum actually worked on that entire arcade scene set, with a lot of details about the machines.  MK2 wasn't a true original machine at all but they made it look like one.  The main issue was the screen itself because original CRT monitors do not sync up well with cameras, so they used an OLED panel and made it look like a CRT with post processing.  All of the MK2 fighting scenes were pre-recorded and choreographed.  They also removed the time limit so they wouldn't have continuity issues.

Some cool behind the scenes stuff if anyone cares, starting around this post.

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/threads/last-of-us-arcade-scene.518996/page-3#post-4642458

jjrPrMD.png

Edited by purbeast
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I didn’t realize this but 

casting spoiler 

Hide contents

Troy Baker aka Joel from the games is going to be David next week. Wow that’s going to be fun. I hope he plays him just as creepily as the original 

Spoiler

He's actually playing James. Scott Shepherd is playing David.

https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0791864/?ref_=tt_cl_t_5

• Like 1

On 2/27/2023 at 7:22 AM, purbeast said:

Wow, I thought it was one of the better ones… Haven't plaid the game… but it was interesting to see how Ellie got bitten and her experiencing the mall was pretty cool. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Not a single zombie in sight, but absolutely the most nerve-wracking episode so far.

You got that right lol...jeebus.

EDIT: putting this in spoiler, just in case some here haven't seen episode 8 yet:

Spoiler

Saw some of what Marlene meant by "I know what you're capable of...for better or for worse." And Ellie, holy ****ing ****...

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated
  • Like 1