Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NY Post: Yumi Nu (Plus-Sized Model) On the Cover of 2022 SI Swimsuit Issue

18 hours ago, Destino said:

here’s the thing, the older I get the more I realize that what works is what matters.  Dumping on people for being overweight doesn’t create a healthier society.  It does the opposite.  It makes people withdraw, feel shame and stress, and grow defensive.  All of that leads to worsening outcomes in terms of physical health and mental health.  

if the goal is to create a healthier society, the path is to create a kinder society.  One where people don’t need to pour so much energy into defending who they are, and focus instead on becoming who they’d like to be.  We don’t have to pretend obesity is healthy, but we don’t have to pretend physical beauty equates to a person’s worth either.  

I do like the sentiment here, but I also think that a good number of people are motivated in exactly the opposite way. I know that I have been in both getting into shape (more than once), getting my **** together in college, and getting out of a bad relationship as an adult. 

That's not to be misunderstood that I think we should shame people mercilessly for their shortcomings...but I do think that negative feedback and striving to improve works with a lot people. Maybe it goes back to how they were parented or something? I'm not smart enough to know that part. 

I don't understand how 'shaming' people or as some have put it, providing "negative feedback", is going to help push fat people to get in shape.

I'm pretty sure fat people are more than well aware that they are fat - they don't need @CousinsCowgirl84 to tell them to "put the slice down" to know that they are fat.  Like any other vices - smoking, alcohol, caffeine, etc. - folks will normally make moves to improve when they are ready to do so.  Personally for me, both from a smoking and weight standpoint, it was when the doctor wanted to put me on BP medicine.  That was the sign to get it in gear.  For others, perhaps it's other things that push them in the direction to improve their lives.

But I don't think for a second, for adults at least, it's because folks truly care what randos with their own vices think about them.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don't understand how 'shaming' people or as some have put it, providing "negative feedback", is going to help push fat people to get in shape.

I'm pretty sure fat people are more than well aware that they are fat - they don't need @CousinsCowgirl84 to tell them to "put the slice down" to know that they are fat.  Like any other vices - smoking, alcohol, caffeine, etc. - folks will normally make moves to improve when they are ready to do so.  Personally for me, both from a smoking and weight standpoint, it was when the doctor wanted to put me on BP medicine.  That was the sign to get it in gear.  For others, perhaps it's other things that push them in the direction to improve their lives.

But I don't think for a second, for adults at least, it's because folks truly care what randos with their own vices think about them.  

A drill sergeant, good coach, will tell you everything you need to know, day 1.  This is now forbidden.  You're fat, lazy, out of shape.  Now do as many pullups and pushups as you can do, and then you run because you're a bamma.

Worked so well.

• Haha 1

Just now, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I feel like it’s been established that they do care, and that’s why we shouldn’t do it.

Generally, I don't think anyone likes being ridiculed or shamed for anything.  But the reason you shouldn't do it, is because what business is it of yours?

For example, I doubt you'd like it if randoms on the street ridiculed you for your Tesla tramp stamp when wearing a low cut shirt.  But I don't think it would influence you to have it surgically removed.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Generally, I don't think anyone likes being ridiculed or shamed for anything.  But the reason you shouldn't do it, is because what business is it of yours?

I don’t really care either way. But I’m not the one dying on the bridge of “let’s defend the fat folk”. Of course people can do what they want to do, support trump, eat three pizzas, have three mistresses, whatever, but I don’t have to like it or defend it.

9 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

For example, I doubt you'd like it if randoms on the street ridiculed you for your Tesla tramp stamp when wearing a low cut shirt.  But I don't think it would influence you to have it surgically removed.

I get ridiculed for that on ES all the time.

But on the street they wouldn’t ridicule, they would whistle. 😎 

The Telsa shaming has to stop! @mistertim @PleaseBlitz 

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I don’t really care either way. But I’m not the one dying on the bridge of “let’s defend the fat folk”.

🤣 You don’t care either way, you just have a lot to say about the subject.  To the point you consider me calling out your general rudeness, dying on the bridge of defending fat folks.

In public, I see a lot of stuff I don’t like, however like an adult - I keep my comments to myself and realize everyone has their issues, including me.

• Like 1

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

🤣 You don’t care either way, you just have a lot to say about the subject.  To the point you consider me calling out your general rudeness, dying on the bridge of defending fat folks.

In public, I see a lot of stuff I don’t like, however like an adult - I keep my comments to myself and realize everyone has their issues, including me.

I hope you're going to be ok.

• Thumb up 1

Just now, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

I hope you're going to be ok.

I’m good.

In fact, I’m a real a-hole.  Perhaps it stems from where I grew up where thick skin and quick wits were a must.  

I have an innate ability to identify most anyones insecurity points and crush souls with my words very quickly.  I just reserve that for when I’m provoked.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’m good.

In fact, I’m a real a-hole.  Perhaps it stems from where I grew up where thick skin and quick wits were a must.  

I have an innate ability to identify most anyones insecurity points and crush souls with my words very quickly.  I just reserve that for when I’m provoked.

Sounds threatening.  South east?

14 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

this topic is what, 12 pages long now? I have like five posts total in it… and the last two were after you @ me…..

13 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’m good.

Quick wits is optimistic.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

My neighborhood wasn't all that bad at the time, Fairhaven Ave. off 301.

However, the verbal sparring was frequent for sure.

Yeah shiddd, I feel like you were closer to Waldorf and the primpy areas.  I was in the townhouses of Laurel.  A lot of surprise-shootings.  I didn't see one ounce of **** talk.  Just...bam.  Great times other than that.  Great people.

1 minute ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Yeah shiddd, I feel like you were closer to Waldorf and the primpy areas.  I was in the townhouses of Laurel.  A lot of surprise-shootings.  I didn't see one ounce of **** talk.  Just...bam.  Great times other than that.  Great people.

I spent some time in Waldorf as well.

My experiences were more of the verbal warfare variety vs. gunplay, and I'm thankful for that.

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I spent some time in Waldorf as well.

My experiences were more of the verbal warfare variety vs. gunplay, and I'm thankful for that.

I know right?  The instances I coulda caught a cap to the dome in...

Just cuz broskie angry as Beal.

I got you in the sights of my scope Beal!

Sucka likes to ignore me...😆