Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

13 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

I'm not sure where he'll play or what teams may think of him, but Wisconsin LB Nick Herbig can sure get after the QB. 

I was watching him the other day and he keeps popping up. I'm very high on Herbig. Probably an early day 3 pick that can get after the QB as well or better than anyone in this draft.

Reminds me a lot of Toohill, but much better. 

• Like 1

I am diving in deeper on the O line, I'll put some new thoughts on players soon.

I would say if they are in the O line or bust mode, If Broderick Jones isn't there at 16 (I expect Paris to already be gone for sure) I think there are 4-5 guys IMO that are close to the same especially at RT where I'd definitely trade down if they could.  3rd-4h round to me is fruitful for OG-C in this draft again with a number of guys with similar ability IMO.

If we are talking purely need and if they are locked in on O line and CB as some say.  They can also take a CB in the first IMO  and then get impact O lineman in the 2nd and third. 

In other words, i am not in love with depth of the A list on O line.  But the B list IMO is deep.  If they can add a couple of picks in the top 4 rounds or even top 5 like last year, I think they can easily come out with 2 O lineman who can make an impact or grow into that and then in turn also get a third, a good project - Chris Paul type in the 5th-6th.   And still have the picks to exploit some other good positions in this draft like TE IMO.

I know some say get 4-5 O lineman.  I doubt they go that crazy.  I'd say 2 is slam dunk.  Probably 3 with the third O lineman coming later in the draft if I had to guess.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

High floor prospects who don't kill the combine

I love Jahan now that he's on the team and we've seen he can ball, but was shocked when we traded out of a position to draft an absolute blue-chip S.  

Even though the trade down netted us Robinson, it still seems like a bad move given how fungible RBs are in today's NFL. 

2 minutes ago, formerly4skins said:

I love Jahan now that he's on the team and we've seen he can ball, but was shocked when we traded out of a position to draft an absolute blue-chip S.  

Even though the trade down netted us Robinson, it still seems like a bad move given how fungible RBs are in today's NFL. 

If Howell and Cole Turner become starters, that ttrade back is a home run.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, formerly4skins said:

He got more playing time late in the season, but I believe he was used mostly how we used Bobby McCain (after Curl came back). A nickel only player and not a safety.

37 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am diving in deeper on the O line, I'll put some new thoughts on players soon.

I would say if they are in the O line or bust mode, If Broderick Jones isn't there at 16 (I expect Paris to already be gone for sure) I think there are 4-5 guys IMO that are close to the same especially at RT where I'd definitely trade down if they could.  3rd-4h round to me is fruitful for OG-C in this draft again with a number of guys with similar ability IMO.

If we are talking purely need and if they are locked in on O line and CB as some say.  They can also take a CB in the first IMO  and then get impact O lineman in the 2nd and third. 

In other words, i am not in love with depth of the A list on O line.  But the B list IMO is deep.  If they can add a couple of picks in the top 4 rounds or even top 5 like last year, I think they can easily come out with 2 O lineman who can make an impact or grow into that and then in turn also get a third, a good project - Chris Paul type in the 5th-6th.   And still have the picks to exploit some other good positions in this draft like TE IMO.

I know some say get 4-5 O lineman.  I doubt they go that crazy.  I'd say 2 is slam dunk.  Probably 3 with the third O lineman coming later in the draft if I had to guess.

I don't know enough about the OL. Any of those guys clear Center material we should have our eye on?

19 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If Howell and Cole Turner become starters, that ttrade back is a home run.

100% agree...chances of both those dudes panning out is pretty darn small though. 

That said, even with his 5th rd. pedigree, I'm totally game to see what Howell can do as a starter given the chance. Dude was at one point projected as a 1st, has good measurables, and didn't **** the bed in his first taste of live NFL action. 

Cole though, to me, looked mostly fat and lost when he saw the field this past year. Dude seriously needs to get in the gym and the playbook this offseason to have a chance in the NFL.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I don't know enough about the OL. Any of those guys clear Center material we should have our eye on?

The Michigan one.  Oluwatimi If they want shorter centers because of Howell's height, he fits a 6'3.   I've talked about him previously.   From the DC area too like Broderick Jones.

Jake Andrews, can only find one game, OK, not blown away, gave up a bad sack and considering he plays for Troy I am skeptical. 

Screen Shot 2023-01-20 at 10.14.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-20 at 10.15.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-20 at 10.16.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-20 at 10.16.27 AM.png

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Interesting take, I’m the opposite. Give Payne a deal and move Sweat on if his demands are too high. I think our DE situation is mildly overrated. 

I was about to post the same thing. Payne was so much more productive than Sweat who had 8 sacks and has averaged 6.75 sacks/year and is supposed to be a pass rusher.  I'm pretty convinced Chase will never be an elite pass rusher, he has recovered his burst and it's still not enough to get the edge and I can't think of one great edge rusher who could not get the edge.  Giving huge money to 2 DTs, when you drafted one in the 2nd last season, may be a hard thing to do without compromising the rest of the roster so not sure what they can do there.  

As for the draft a real pass catching TE will be huge for a young QB. But they also need a MLB badly and they simply have to find guards to replace those Carolina guys.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KDawg said:

Little bit of a shocker at my #1, but I don't think it's all that wild.

Good breakdown, and I agree with your takes.  I think I'm higher on Will Anderson than you are, I think he's like a more explosive and swivelly TJ Watt.  I would still have him ranked over Murphy, but I agree with you that it's close enough between them that it's fine to prefer Murphy.  Especially if you want more power to stop the run on the outside.  I love Murphy, he's almost into Myles Garrett territory of size/power/explosiveness.  His speed to power capacity is where I think he matches Garrett and it's some of the best you're going to see because most guys who are a rocked out 275 with dominant power can't fire off the line of scrimmage like him.  He is much thicker and more powerful than Parsons and Thibodeaux, and he's in their world for ball get-off speed (Voch Lombardi term).  He's good enough to have been DL1 in most classes other than the Garrett/Young/Bosa years.  Just so happens that Anderson and Jalen Carter are elite prospects too.

I think Tyree Wilson is good enough to be DL1 in a normal year too.  I didn't really see it with him at first, but went back through his cut ups and watched a nice breakdown of his game on youtube and was blown away by how good he is.  He is so quick for being as big as he is.  I saw a comparison to Travon Walker in terms of talent/technique/size/athleticism, and I think he might actually be better than Walker was because he's a lot more productive at the college level. 

Only other thing I point out in your write up is that I do think Zach Harrison has elite length, and that's how I think he gets a lot of his wins.  I read somewhere that he has legit 36" arms and I think that might be accurate because they look super long from the eye test.  He's a really tall and well put together athlete, and he might actually have the best body of any of the edges in this year's class.  I think he's a sleeper who could be a better pro than college player.  He was the one guy who I thought really tore up Skoronski and you could see the length advantage be decisive in that battle.  But instead of exploiting that, Ohio State seemed to flip Harrison and JT Tuimoloa a lot in that game, and Skoronski had a much easier time against 44.

• Like 2

I didn't realize how good the cream of this DL class was until I started watching them in order to start figuring out my top tiers.  It caused me to revise down Mayer/Johnston/Smith-Njigba a bit, to where now my thinking is this:

Tier 1:

1 - Bryce Young

2 - Will Anderson

3 - Jalen Carter

4 - Myles Murphy

5 - Tyree Wilson

Tier 2:

6 - Jaxon Smith-Njigba

7 - Michael Mayer

8 - Quenton Johnston

9 - Brian Bresee

10 - Will Levis

Tier 3:

11 - CJ Stroud

12 - Christian Gonzalez

13 - Devon Witherspoon

14 - Peter Skoronski

15 - Jordan Addison

16 - BJ Ojulari

Tier 4:

17 - Trenton Simpson

18 - Cam Smith

19- Paris Johnson Jr

20 - Joey Porter Jr

21 - Kelee Ringo

22 - Bijan Robinson

23 - Jahmyr Gibbs

24 - Clark Phillips

Still have a ton of players to watch and rank though.  I'm seeing Ika, Antonio Johnson, Branch, Sanders, Torrence, Foskey, Uzomah, Flowers, Jaylon Jones, Darnell Washington, etc. ranked really high and I haven't figured out takes on them yet.

• Like 2

Will Johnson #2 corner for Michigan actually matched up on Marvin Harrison Jr well.  They might have something special in that kid.  Harrison was making plays all over DJ Turner and Sainristil, and that adjustment of putting Johnson on him really kind of shut him down for the rest of the game.  He reminds me of a freshman Sauce Gardner.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Still have a ton of players to watch and rank though.  I'm seeing Ika, Antonio Johnson, Branch, Sanders, Torrence, Foskey, Uzomah, Flowers, Jaylon Jones, Darnell Washington, etc. ranked really high and I haven't figured out takes on them yet.

Branch I am struggiling with. I like him.  I know i am supposed to love him though.   Not enough big plays for me.  But he's clearly high floor.  Slot CB-FS, they send him on blitzes.  He's supposed to be Alabama's new Minkah Fitzpatrick but he doesn't grab me in the same way.  I gather the charm with him is even though he's not a big dude, you can play him in the slot and he can help you defeat the run game as well versus 11 personnel or whatever because his tackling ability is real sound, doesn't miss tackles.

Ika strikes me a poor man's Vita Vea, better season in 2021 almost 360 pounds, I'd want him at 340 at the combine otherwise I'd be turned off.  I'd like him sort of in the 2nd but not for our team, like but don't love.

Torrence, I like a lot.  One of the better pass blocking guards I've watched in awhile.  PFF likes him better as a run blocker than pass blocker.  For me its the reverse, he's to my eyes plays like a wall in pass protection between his anchoring ability and strong hands -- I like him as a run blocker too but he's not IMO a Scherff type who levels people on the 2nd level but he has some moments on that front.  

Darnell Washington, i talked about him earlier on in the process.  I haven't watched him in some time so I need to refresh.  Love his blocking -- not just for the obvious reason that he's 270 pounds and can level dudes but because he flies for a dude that size, motors down the field and levels guys on the 2nd level.  Pass blocker and run blocker.  As a pass catcher, work in progress but has moments.  At his size if he blows up the combine as some suspect, i think he will go earlish, i am skeptical though he goes in the first.  i think it will be mid to late 2nd.  too many Y-TEs in this draft that I think it will push some down

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For me, I don't like doing trade downs in mocks because for whatever reason the net result seems to be something wildly unrealistic. 

Yeah I know what you mean.  The mock draft machines haven't gotten the trade mechanics figured out yet, you always end up having way too many opportunities to trade down, no matter whose on the board, and you always get back way too much in return.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Yeah I know what you mean.  The mock draft machines haven't gotten the trade mechanics figured out yet, you always end up having way too many opportunities to trade down, no matter whose on the board, and you always get back way too much in return.

29 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Killer draft. 

For me, I don't like doing trade downs in mocks because for whatever reason the net result seems to be something wildly unrealistic. 

Mocks are generally pretty unrealistic. Figured another thread for them would keep it cleaner in here.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

This is true.  I will do one on PFF w/o any trades. :)