Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

16 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I don't personally, but I'm very early in the process.  I figure the top 15 has:

3 QBs (Young, Stroud, Levis)

2 WR (take your pick, but Johnson seems cemented, and I can see JSN/Addison making it)

2-3 OL (Johnson, Skoronski (unless his arm length is horrific, but then he'll be a great guard), and/or Jones)

1 TE (Meyer (cannot see Houston, NYJ, NE, and GB all passing on him)

1 RB (Robinson (I don't have him now, but I can see some team taking him as a BPA type)

5 DL (Anderson, Carter, Murphy, Wilson, Bressee)

1-2 CB (Gonzo/Porter/Ringo/Smith)

Pass rushers and CBs generally move up that list pretty quickly before the draft.

OL is not the sexy pick, but it is the right pick. If you want Howell to stand up and have a chance, go there first.  The D can get by, Pay the free agents Holcomb, Payne, Kurl. add a lB, CB later.  CB, TE, not at 16    OL,QB first. at 16 or trade down get more picks if there is no value. This offseason should be about keeping the QB upright. and not like the past. 

Henry To'oTo'o.  We should draft him based on the name for the back of the jersey alone.  Watched 2 games and in those he played more coverage than he did versus the run.

In those games, he played mostly on the strong side.  Decent.  Don't love but if he fell to the 4th, I'd consider.  

Good in coverage, fluid when he backpeddles, can blitz, has some moves as a pass rusher -- not just a straight line rusher like many blitzing LBs.

As a tackler in the run game, he's OK, don't love him on that front.  His highlight plays are fun, makes diving highlight type tackles.  But tends to tackle high and players can bounce off of him.   Almost a 15% miss tackle rate which is on the high side for a LB.

I do love though reading Saban's description of him being a smart player and prepares hard.  That for obvious reasons is big for that spot.  A little undersized, he's under 230 pounds from what I saw somewhere.

He has the traits IMO.

https://www.on3.com/college/alabama-crimson-tide/news/nick-saban-high-praise-alabama-linebacker-henry-too-too-instinctive-football/

“Henry’s a perfect fit for the position,” Saban said. “He’s very instinctive, he’s a great communicator, he’s a signal caller. I think he makes everybody around him play better because he’s very instinctive, he understands, very football-savvy, understands exactly how he’s supposed to fit on the runs and ends up in the right place. We try to play team defense and the linebackers should make a lot of tackles, and he certainly hasn’t disappointed in any way. He’s played very well for us.”

Nick Saban: Henry To’oTo’o ‘gets it’ on defense

This isn’t the first time Saban has spoken highly of To’oTo’o recently. After making a joke about Dale’s “genius” comments last week, he also discussed To’oTo’o’s preparation for games and how that rubs off on the rest of the Alabama defense.

“Henry’s just a really instinctive, smart football player,” Saban said. “But he does a really good job of preparing for games and I think Pete does a really good job with the linebackers understanding how they fit relative to whatever the call is.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Someone sell me on Skoronski. I don’t see it.

I haven't watched him yet but will.  I know @Going Commando is a big fan of his.

Speaking of selling what do you think of Anton Harrison?  I like mostly what I see, don't love, and I explained why in previous posts.  Curious to have someone else dive in on him some because I don't think I have a full handle on him, I do think there is a decent shot he will be on this team's radar. 

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I haven't watched him yet but will.  I know @Going Commando is a big fan of his.

Speaking of selling what do you think of Anton Harrison?  I like mostly what I see, don't love, and I explained why in previous posts.  Curious to have someone else dive in on him some because I don't think I have a full handle on him, I do think there is a decent shot he will be on this team's radar. 

I commented on him a page or two back. I like him all in all. He's kind of like Kayshon Boutte to me in the sense he is good across the board but not really elite in anything (minus character red flags). He is better in pass pro vs. run game, but mostly because he isn't a down hill attacking kind of guy. But he clamps big time in pass pro and he's strong enough in both the pass and run game to have a positive effect on the game. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I commented on him a page or two back. I like him all in all. He's kind of like Kayshon Boutte to me in the sense he is good across the board but not really elite in anything (minus character red flags). He is better in pass pro vs. run game, but mostly because he isn't a down hill attacking kind of guy. But he clamps big time in pass pro and he's strong enough in both the pass and run game to have a positive effect on the game. 

OK, cool I missed it.  I have a similar take, i like how he anchors and uses his hands in pass pro, as a run blocker he's not a people mover but is solid.

Linebackers...

Noah Sewell is downhill. I love how he gets to the edge with fast flow and cuts off the QB escape lane. His on-field speed is fast. Seems to recognize quickly and diagnose. He's a good pass rusher and a downhill guy. While he recognizes things fairly well, he doesn't have great instincts. It's hard to explain but there are plays where he sees run but doesn't feel the lane correctly at times. But he's quick and athletic and strong as an ox. 

Drew Sanders is good on the edge. Seems to set the edge well and get downhill against the run quickly. But he isn't a great tackler. Comes in a bit out of control and has a difficult time recovering. He makes contact routinely but his eyes seem to go down and he misses. I'm not sure he has much room on his frame so the 240s seems to be his ceiling. Internet says he's a 4.5 guy which isn't bad in a LB. He is explosive off the edge but doesn't have a ton of moves. Uses that explosiveness to get a lane. He has a place in the league somewhere but it wouldn't be here and I don't think he's a very real ILB candidate. 

Henry To'o To'o is instinctive as hell. Gets himself in great positions to make plays. Recognizes run and pass. Gets good pass drops and great depth. Understands his assignment every play. Pretty solid tackler. He misses on some angles. Isn't great against the run or the pass but good at both. I worry about him in open field. 

Jack Campbell is the kind of guy this forum would love. In pass coverage he does an absolutely phenomenal job at getting a piece of crossers as he drops to his zone and keeping his head on a swivel. He uses his eyes really well to diagnose what is going on. He is a down hill run thumper. He is violent as hell. His disadvantage is he's not the same kind of athlete as the above guys. Not going to cover tight ends real well. Not the best at block destruction. But he is your old school MIKE backer... just a more modernized version. He can absolutely play in the NFL. 

DeMarvion Overshown is my dude at LB. He's not a better overall backer than Sewell, but he moves around the field so much better. One thing I've learned over the years is that guys who can manipulate the field and get around it to get to the ball are guys that can overcome some of the size shortcomings. They have to be laterally quick and aggressive. He plays violent. My biggest knocks are his size and the fact he isn't a great tackler. He is safety size in the NFL, so I'm not sure he's going to be a ILB in the League. I can see him as a bit of a hybrid type.

Dorian Williams. The guy produces. He has a ton of experience and really good frame. He's another guy that isn't great in the block destruction department. He scrapes well. Misdirection messes him up a bit. But he has a ton of experience as a MIKE backer. 

Trenton Simpson has elite intangibles. Guy is explosive anywhere he plays. Can bring pressure on the QB from inside, blitz from the edge, etc. He's not great at setting the edge, which wouldn't be a necessity if he's playing more of a traditional ILB role, but a team that drafts him really needs to utilize his versatility and move him around a bit. He hits well. Violent. But he isn't as good when he is simply an ILB than he is when they move him. He has a nose for the ball and he finishes tackles.

All in all, so far, I don't love this LB class. Every position and every prospect has some warts, but this class is a high upside, low floor class.

1. Noah Sewell

2. Trenton Simpson

3. Jack Campbell

4. Henry To'o T'oo

5. Dorian Williams

6. Drew Sanders

7. DeMarvion Overshown (if he goes to a scheme specific fit I think he has a really, really high ceiling, but his size lowers his value as a pure ILB)

Sleeper candidate: Jeremy Banks, Tennessee

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Jack Campbell is the kind of guy this forum would love. In pass coverage he does an absolutely phenomenal job at getting a piece of crossers as he drops to his zone and keeping his head on a swivel. He uses his eyes really well to diagnose what is going on. He is a down hill run thumper. He is violent as hell. His disadvantage is he's not the same kind of athlete as the above guys. Not going to cover tight ends real well. Not the best at block destruction. But he is your old school MIKE backer... just a more modernized version. He can absolutely play in the NFL. 

Good stuff.

Campbell's profile reminds me some of Leo Chanel.  He's on my list to watch, just in general I'll go deep dive on the LBs, I get the impression from Keim LB is on their shopping list.  Doubting though the first two rounds but who knows.

4 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

SIP I love you, you are definitely one of my favourite posters, but what on earth does that mean?! Is it an American expression? I've never heard it before....

lol, yeah its based on the process can be ugly to put something together so you don't want to watch the process of making sausage, you just want the end result which is to eat the sausage.  Sausage being of course bangers in England.  Been to England 7 or so times, I miss the bangers and mash.  Probably going this summer back.  

• Thanks 1

Jack Campbell, @KDawg mentioning he'd be up our alley.  I had a similar impression based on what I've read about him as I've been diving into prospects.

Yeah an old school LB, who is 6 '5, 246 pounds, from the Big 10 who his teammates call the defense's tone setter, is appealing.   I'd guess not hot in pass coverage but looked up his score from PFF on that front which is over 90 which is very good.

I'll get to watching some of his games.  But i just watched this profile segment below, its short and entertaining.

5 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

Bangers and mash is great. Try the "toad in the hole", basically bangers in batter. Delicious!

Never heard of it. Bangers in batter, I'll try it.  Speaking of batter, I do like the traditional fish and chips. -- haddock > cod.  Just watched Liverpool earlier today sadly (sadly for me) get thumped by Brighton.  Best fish and chips I've had was in Brighton.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Jack Campbell, @KDawg mentioning he'd be up our alley.  I had a similar impression based on what I've read about him as I've been diving into prospects.

Yeah an old school LB, who is 6 '5, 246 pounds, from the Big 10 who his teammates call the defense's tone setter, is appealing.   I'd guess not hot in pass coverage but looked up his score from PFF on that front which is over 90 which is very good.

I'll get to watching some of his games.  But i just watched this profile segment below, its short and entertaining.

I think he’s very good in pass coverage as it pertains to zone and fairly capable of man coverage. But he’s not a guy who is going to stick with the best tight ends and backs on a regular basis. 

Having said that, I’d love to have this guy.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Never heard of it. Bangers in batter, I'll try it.  Speaking of batter, I do like the traditional fish and chips. -- haddock > cod.  Just watched Liverpool earlier today sadly (sadly for me) get thumped by Brighton.  Best fish and chips I've had was in Brighton.

I went to England in Epcot at Disney once. Fish and chips and beer were good.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Good stuff.

Campbell's profile reminds me some of Leo Chanel.  He's on my list to watch, just in general I'll go deep dive on the LBs, I get the impression from Keim LB is on their shopping list.  Doubting though the first two rounds but who knows.

Have to part ways with you both with Campbell at least at this juncture. I'm not liking what I've seen thus far. I question his instincts and he gets blocked off more than I care for a LB. I do see the pass rush ability and I can see the Chanel comparison - good closing speed. I need to watch more but right now I'm underwhelmed with JC. 

Edited by Chump Bailey

4 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Have to part ways with you both with Campbell at least at this juncture. I'm not liking what I've seen thus far. I question his instincts and he gets blocked off more than I care for a LB. I do see the pass rush ability and their I can see the Chanel comparison - good closing speed. I need to watch more but right now I'm underwhelmed with JC. 

I haven't watched him or did any anaylsis on Campbell yet.  So It's too early for you to part ways versus me about him.  I just said i liked his profile.  I gather the dude you will be parting ways with is @KDawg who I gather likes him but doesn't love him?   I'll weigh in after watching him. 

• Thumb up 1

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I haven't watched him or did any anaylsis on Campbell yet.  So It's too early for you to part ways versus me about him.  I just said i liked his profile.  I gather the dude you will be parting ways with is @KDawg who I gather likes him but doesn't love him?   I'll weigh in after watching him. 

Correct. I like his style. I like the way he plays the position and think he is capable in coverage. But I don’t love any of the LBs in this class yet. Sewell is the closest for me. But I do like Campbell. But I’m not going to shout how good he is from the mountain tops at this point.

• Like 1