Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariota and Fromm battle for QB2

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I think the new ownership is going to use this as an evaluation year of the entire football operation top to bottom before making any sort of change.

I think if they’ve spent 6B that will have been done already, wouldn’t you?

9 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I don't think that they would fully be able to do that because they still have to please their current boss.  So you have to see what they can do under the new regime.

I don't think this would be true in January when a full crop of individuals would be available, but with it happening in May any replacements could easily be placeholders till the right guys come available next post season.  And in that case, the current placeholder is just as good.  Better really.  You don't have to fire two people in one year

11 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Thing is there are so many tangible things the new owners can do without coming in and first become meddlers in football ops (that was also the first thin Dan did, BTW). Branding, this is not a thing only about name change but also includes things like uniforms, colors (including shading), logos and putting together 'study' groups to research feasibility of big brand changes (like the name). Even as simple as fixing the Sean Taylor fiasco (for instance, commission a real sculptor to design an appropriate statue) . They can use their talents to 'sell' the team to the guys who will let/help them build new digs and a stadium (especially those who will give them taxpayer monies to help). Since, obviously FedEx will still be our stadium for the next few years, what things can they do to make it a better experience (yes, winning but there is very little they can do here that WILL work).  When we are ready to move out of FedEx, they will likely have a big opportunity to make money if they began planning their exit strategy now, same with current digs. Media presence to sell the team to your next possible die-hards, Magic Johnson seems to have some ability here. Further, the product itself does not suck (yes, you'd prefer it to be good to great but it is really too late in the day to fix this until next year, if needed).

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Do we really think new owners will want to roll with Sam Howell. No disrespect intended either. Personally like the player. But a splash move would come, right?

If the new owner is Snyder in disguise, then no lol...but if the new owner is at least half-way competent, he won't be acting like a fan who just won the lottery. If it's Harris, then an immediate big splash is definitely off the table from those articles SIP quoted about his ownership style.

Keep in mind, though, that whenever the sale takes place it will be too late for any type of "big splash." And, no, I'm not including Jackson in the pool of possible players to be available in May lol...

I completely understand both sides.

As a sports fan…. of many professional sports teams… of which most have endured prolonged losing and perpetual overhauls… I just loathe all the seasons lost to new management spending a whole year/season evaluating… only to come to the same conclusion all the amateur fans already knew.

You wanna impress me?!?! Have a Fn plan in place and hit the ground running. The energy is high right now….  RIDE IT!!! Don’t wait and deflate.

I loved that someone reached out to Sean Payton. I hope it was Harris.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

I completely understand both sides.

As a sports fan…. of many professional sports teams… of which most have endured prolonged losing and perpetual overhauls… I just loathe all the seasons lost to new management spending a whole year/season evaluating… only to come to the same conclusion all the amateur fans already knew.

You wanna impress me?!?! Have a Fn plan in place and hit the ground running. The energy is high right now….  RIDE IT!!! Don’t wait and deflate.

I loved that someone reached out to Sean Payton. I hope it was Harris.

you can't make a plan for the season two months before the season

2 minutes ago, MrJL said:

you can't make a plan for the season two months before the season

No but you can make a plan for next season. And that might well influence decisions now. My point about trading out of the first round for example for 2024 picks. 

There will be something. No chance they just a announce the sale and trundle along for 9 months. No way.

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, dunfer said:

new owner means let the coaches/gm do their thing...which is always a good thing. Owners meddling is why we wanted dan gone...it cant be the norm, just what were used to

I could see it being owners meddling in any other scenario, but for a new ownership group that wants to hit the ground running, they might feel the need to do something at the QB position, because our current situation is far from ideal.  

We might legit have the worst QB room of any

team in the league.  It’ll be too late to make any move during the draft period, because the vote to confirm Harris won’t happen until late May, so Harris & Co. might have to wait until next year by default.  Going into this season with Howell/Brissett as your QB room already eliminates you from the playoff conversation before the season even starts.  This coming season is looking like a wash.  AFTER this coming season, it will get really interesting.

Edited by samy316

1 minute ago, samy316 said:

I could see it being owners meddling in any other scenario, but for a new ownership group that wants to hit the ground running, they might feel the need to do something at the QB position, because our current situation is far from ideal.  

We might legit have the worst QB room of any

team in the league.  It’ll be too late to make any move during the draft period, because the vote to confirm Harris won’t happen until late May, so Harris & Co. might have to wait until next year by default.  Going into this season with Howell/Brissett as your QB room already eliminates you from the playoff conversation before the season even starts.  Next year is looking like a wash.  AFTER this coming season, it will get really interesting.

so what.....we should get lamar?  In todays nfl you have to hit with your own drafted rookie QB... thats your window. Destroying your draft capital for years and your cap for a qb another team doesnt want to pay is losers wondering why theyre losers mentality

Just now, dunfer said:

so what.....we should get lamar?  In todays nfl you have to hit with your own drafted rookie QB... thats your window. Destroying your draft capital for years and your cap for a qb another team doesnt want to pay is losers wondering why theyre losers mentality

No, I’m not saying get Lamar.  I’m thinking they should make a move at QB in Rd. 1 THIS year.  Lamar is too expensive to get.  Drafting a franchise QB is what we should be doing.  But, we probably won’t, since the new owner won’t be here in time to implement a FO to make that decision.  We should be thinking about taking a look at whoever falls between Hooker and Levis.  If one or both is there at 16, we have to make that move.

5 minutes ago, samy316 said:

No, I’m not saying get Lamar.  I’m thinking they should make a move at QB in Rd. 1 THIS year.  Lamar is too expensive to get.  Drafting a franchise QB is what we should be doing.  But, we probably won’t, since the new owner won’t be here in time to implement a FO to make that decision.  We should be thinking about taking a look at whoever falls between Hooker and Levis.  If one or both is there at 16, we have to make that move.

You cant take a qb with the first pick at 16 in our situation. Weve got two very potential QBs at 1 and 2. OL TE CB and LBs are greater concerns for a bluechip. Grab another qb later on

Edited by dunfer

5 minutes ago, dunfer said:

You cant take a qb with the first pick in our situation. Weve got two very potential QBs at 1 and 2. OL TE CB and LBs are greater concernsfor a bluechip. Grab another qb later on

No we don’t.  We have ONE QB that is adequate enough in Brissett.  We don’t know what the hell we have in Howell.  I don’t care if we have great needs at OL, CB, and LB, QB COMES FIRST ABOVE ALL ELSE.  In this league, if you don’t have your guy, you’re dead in the water.  Brissett/Howell gives us more of the same, with a max of 7-8 wins, and no playoffs.  Plus, we’d be in the QB market AGAIN after this coming season.  The only benefit of going with Howell/Brissett, is that we might actually find ourselves in the top 10 of next year’s draft, in a potentially great QB class.  If we’re in the top 10 next year, we can make a move to trade up to get Caleb Williams or Drake Maye. 

Edited by samy316

4 minutes ago, samy316 said:

No we don’t.  We have ONE QB that is adequate enough in Brissett.  We don’t know what the hell we have in Howell.  I don’t care if we have great needs at OL, CB, and LB, QB COMES FIRST ABOVE ALL ELSE.  In this league, if you don’t have your guy, you’re dead in the water.  Brissett/Howell gives us more of the same, with a max of 7-8 wins, and no playoffs.  Plus, we’d be in the QB market AGAIN after this coming season.  The only benefit of going with Howell/Brissett, is that we might actually find ourselves in the top 10 of next year’s draft, in a potentially great QB class.  If we’re in the top 10 next year, we can make a move to trade up to get Caleb Williams or Drake Maye. 

So we dont know what we have in Sam...but wed know what wed have in a different college guy we drafted?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

How do you say in one sentence we don't knkw what we have in howell (which is true)...then say it's more of the same at 7-8 wins and no playoffs...? That could be true...or false. Could be worse...could be better. We have no idea

• Like 1

How do you know this team is only 7-8 wins with Brissett/Howell if you said so yourself we don't know what we have in Howell?

• Like 1

Just now, dunfer said:

So we dont know what we have in Sam...but wed know what wed have in a different college guy we drafted?

Yes, because the guy we draft in Rd. 1 will most likely be graded higher than Howell.  If Howell was our guy, he would’ve played in more than one game last year, with how crappy our QB situation was.

• Thumb down 1

Just now, samy316 said:

Yes, because the guy we draft in Rd. 1 will most likely be graded higher than Howell.  If Howell was our guy, he would’ve played in more than one game last year, with how crappy our QB situation was.

so round 1 qb is better

4 minutes ago, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

How do you know this team is only 7-8 wins with Brissett/Howell if you said so yourself we don't know what we have in Howell?

Im just guessing.  I’m making a prediction that it will be more of the same.  It might not be, but I wouldn’t bet on it.  Like I said, if Howell was our guy, why did it take until Week 18 for Rivera and Co. to play Howell (reluctantly)?  I don’t buy this team’s sudden change of heart with Howell.  I think the ownership situation is the main reason we are going with Howell this season.  I also think Washington being at pick 16 is another indicator as to why we’re going with Howell. If we were pick 9 or 10, we would definitely be more active in trying to draft a QB (maybe trading up to get one like Carolina).

Edited by samy316

4 minutes ago, samy316 said:

Im just guessing.  I’m making a prediction that it will be more of the same.  It might not be, but I wouldn’t bet on it.  Like I said, if Howell was our guy, why did it take until Week 18 for Rivera and Co. to play Howell (reluctantly)?  I don’t buy this team’s sudden change of heart with Howell.  I think the ownership situation is the main reason we are going with Howell this season.  I also think Washington being at pick 16 is another indicator as to why we’re going with Howell. If we were pick 9 or 10, we would definitely be more active in trying to draft a QB (maybe trading up to get one like Carolina).

You may be right about ownership playing a role, but not every rookie QB is ready to play immediately. That doesn't mean they're doodoo.

• Like 1

Just now, Warhead36 said:

I don't think any QB that would be available at 16(or in later rounds) would be as good as Howell or Brissett. And it isn't worth trading up for anyone due to our potentially unstable coaching and FO situation.

You might be right.  If Hooker or Levi’s falls to us at 16, then there would be some worry as to how both dropped to that spot.  Our coaching and FO issues are definitely a factor as to why we can’t make a move.

Yeah if we were higher in the draft id side with you samy. 16 is kind of no mans land. If a qb falls to us your kind of taking a qb just to take one...when legit starters at key positions are available

Edited by dunfer

5 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

No but you can make a plan for next season. And that might well influence decisions now. My point about trading out of the first round for example for 2024 picks. 

There will be something. No chance they just an announce the sale and trundle along for 9 months. No way.

I would be all for stockpiling picks for next year, however, new owners won’t be in place until after they’re voted which according to all isn’t until may. That being said, I highly doubt they have any true influence on this upcoming draft as they won’t even know 100% they’re approved