Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

3 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Huh? It’s well known you really stop growing around 20. It’s science. If JJ can put on some lbs, so can Jayden. 

Also, Jayden being closer to Jj than Caleb and Maye?  :lol: What? Jayden is in a different stratosphere from JJ. Jayden is a day 1 starter in the NFL whereas JJ likely won’t see the field for 1-2 seasons.

we all have our opinions though, to each their own. JJ is Daniel Jones 2.0, the similarities are all right there. Also when is the last time a game manager in college ever became elite in the NFL? It doesn’t happen. 

From historical precedent, neither of those guys is likely to put on any significant weight. This whole "Oh, he'll be able to put on 15-20lbs in the NFL" thing is just a nonsense talking point that gets repeated every year for some player. 

As much as it grates on me any thought of chickening out on taking a QB.  I do have mixed feelings on the topic from a pure entertainment value on the issue when it involves Kirk :ols:

Standig...

Screen Shot 2024-03-01 at 12.46.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-01 at 12.48.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-01 at 12.49.04 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Sad 2

How exactly does Kirk fit in with the stated opinion of DQ that they want a QB who can move, can get out of bad plays, and make plays outside of the pocket?

That's literally the opposite of Kirk.

• Like 1

Just now, mistertim said:

From historical precedent, neither of those guys is likely to put on any significant weight. This whole "Oh, he'll be able to put on 15-20lbs in the NFL" thing is just a nonsense talking point that gets repeated every year for some player. 

From a historical perspective, they  are both likely busts and won’t get a second contract from the team that drafts them. They are future Trey Lance and Mitch Trubisky on smaller frames that will snap like twigs at the next level. 

• Thumb down 1

1 hour ago, Dah-Dee said:

As far as McCarthy having the frame to add weight, I don't think QBs usually change much physically once they get to the NFL, maybe add a little weight, but don't see altered physiques (at least not in a good way, Mr. Mahomes).  Also, I just don't know about the frame man...

Just saying if we were all at a party, those are not the chicken legs I'd choose for dipping in some blue cheese. 

Just took a look at Tom Brady's combine video. The official measurement was 6-4 and 211. And frankly not chiseled at all. His frame is wide but I can't really tell if it's wider than McCarthy's or not.  He grew to be listed at 225 lbs.

211.  That's close to what LSU reported Jayden's weight to be. Maybe all of us (including me) are being a little harsh. 10-15 lbs is realistic over the course of a young man's life who's physically fit and looking to add weight anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

From a historical perspective, they  are both likely busts and won’t get a second contract from the team that drafts them. They are future Trey Lance and Mitch Trubisky on smaller frames that will snap like twigs at the next level. 

Caleb seems like a headcase somewhere between Johnny Manziel and Cam Newton. He will be in the conversation with Jamarcus and Bryce Young as the biggest QB busts of all time. 

Edited by BayouBrave86
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I partially disagree. I just cited where Tom was eventually listed at 225 but was 211 at the combine before his draft.

Most QBs even looking at guys in the NFL out of uniform with t-shirts don't look that impressive (a few do but most are the least physically impressive of all skill position players on offense). 

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

How exactly does Kirk fit in with the stated opinion of DQ that they want a QB who can move, can get out of bad plays, and make plays outside of the pocket?

That's literally the opposite of Kirk.

Maybe he's quicker coming off an ACL injury?  Heck if some dude from Pardon Your Take said its a rumor at the Combine, how can it not be true?

• Haha 4

Just now, Ghost of said:

I partially disagree. I just cited where Tom was eventually listed at 225 but was 211 at the combine before his draft.

Most QBs even looking at guys in the NFL out of uniform with t-shirts don't look that impressive (a few do but most are the least physically impressive of all skill position players on offense). 

Is it technically possible? Sure. Does it happen? Hardly ever. Who knows how long it took Brady to go from 211 to 225. It could have been over a 10 year period. I'm just saying that the nonchalant "Oh he can add another 15-20lbs in the NFL" when it comes to skinny draft prospects attitude is a bit silly.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

26 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

The Bears moving on from Fields and then dropping to #2 isn’t that dumb. It’s probably the second most likely scenario in the draft, after them staying put and taking Williams.

24 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm not saying the idea of it is dumb. I'm saying the people just spouting random stuff with no real substance is dumb.

But...it is kinda dumb.

Washington would hold all the cards. The Commanders would just say no and force the Bears to pick him with the #1.

There is no rational reason for Washington to make that trade. Unless there Bears are going to give up the #1 and future picks to go down one spot? Sounds unlikely.

9 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Huh? It’s well known you really stop growing around 20. It’s science. If JJ can put on some lbs, so can Jayden. 

Also, Jayden being closer to Jj than Caleb and Maye?  :lol: What? Jayden is in a different stratosphere from JJ. Jayden is a day 1 starter in the NFL whereas JJ likely won’t see the field for 1-2 seasons.

we all have our opinions though, to each their own. JJ is Daniel Jones 2.0, the comparisons are all right there. Also when is the last time a game manager in college ever became elite in the NFL? It doesn’t happen. 

I’m fairly certain that JJ wasn’t the one calling plays, I’m sure he would’ve loved to throw it 40 times a game, but he did what he was asked and brought home a national championship. He was a 5 star, stud recruit coming out of high school. You could say he managed the games while at Michigan, but that’s not how he would’ve been used in a different style of offense.

Michigan ran a very pro style offense, albeit with a lot more rushes, but he is probably the most well versed to come in and understand the nuances of the NFL offense more than any other qb coming out this year.

At the very least, he has proven that the team that drafts him won’t have to cater to his needs to build their offense, and will be very mold able and able to run most NFL schemes. That to me is a huge plus. He is already going to be familiar with cadence, reading defenses, going through progressions, commanding a huddle, and more versed in the lingo, while the others are learning to start a play without clapping.

• Like 1

Keim just on Finlay's show.  Keim goes he goes back and forth between them taking Maye or Daniels depending on the day -- Finlay pushed him for an answer so he goes if he had to pick one he'd say Maye.  But clearly he doesn't know.  I again bet they don't know.  Hearing how this FO seems to operate they probably won't know until days before the draft.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 2

I think the Bears compensation for Fields is going to be tied to him signing a LTD with his new team. So if Atlanta traded for him, maybe it's a 3rd this year, and another future 3rd if they sign him long term in the future. If they don't and let him walk after this year (or next year if his 5th year option is picked up), then no extra picks involved.

1 minute ago, mac8887 said:

I’m fairly certain that JJ wasn’t the one calling plays, I’m sure he would’ve loved to throw it 40 times a game, but he did what he was asked and brought home a national championship. He was a 5 star, stud recruit coming out of high school. You could say he managed the games while at Michigan, but that’s not how he would’ve been used in a different style of offense.

Michigan ran a very pro style offense, albeit with a lot more rushes, but he is probably the most well versed to come in and understand the nuances of the NFL offense more than any other qb coming out this year.

At the very least, he has proven that the team that drafts him won’t have to cater to his needs to build their offense, and will be very mold able and able to run most NFL schemes. That to me is a huge plus. He is already going to be familiar with cadence, reading defenses, going through progressions, commanding a huddle, and more versed in the lingo, while the others are learning to start a play without clapping.

JJ will be riding the bench while Caleb, Jayden, and Maye are running out on the field as starters day 1. He is not the most pro ready. He played with a dominant oline and handed the ball off a ton. Good arm but a real lack of touch. He just rifles every ball. Has a lot to work on there. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

What happens with Fields, Cousins and Mayfield really affects the rest of the draft. If Cousins leaves Minnesota, do the Vikings definitely trade up to get a QB? Does Justin Fields become a backup somewhere like Trey Lance?

Everyone knows they will trade him, so they have very little leverage. The asking price must be too high right now, but I don't think a conditional 3rd/2nd is too much to ask. 

Just now, BayouBrave86 said:

JJ will be riding the bench while Caleb, Jayden, and Maye are running out on the field as starters day 1. He is not the most pro ready. He played with a dominant oline and handed the ball off a ton. Good arm but a real lack of touch. He just rifles every ball. Has a lot to work on there. 

I mean there was one game where Michigan ran the ball 32 times in a row 😂

I understand drafting for potential and him going in the firsf round but I'd be more comfortable at top 15 or top 25 but not higher than that 

I think bringing in Cousins while seasoning a young guy behind him is extremely smart.  I'm not a huge fan of Cousins, never have been, but I've always been a fan of young quarterbacks sitting for a year or two.  I know it's not ala mode anymore, but to me it's the best way to develop a QB. 

4 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I mean there was one game where Michigan ran the ball 32 times in a row 😂

I understand drafting for potential and him going in the firsf round but I'd be more comfortable at top 15 or top 25 but not higher than that 

It's almost like I haven't said this repeatedly in this thread very near in time to posts you and others have made. Frankly, it's a little weird unless you're really ignoring other posts and just responding to notifications. KDawg had a reason of not participating as much when I exchanged with him about it.

It was well known to anyone following the team after the Penn State game that he hurt his leg (I think ankle but it may have been the whole lower leg) and could not drive through on throws. This wasn't even after the fact this was near the end of the season and was being reported (the severity of course, is always concealed as much as possible).

That is why they ran the ball the entire second half vs. Penn State and why the reliance on the run game increased. I can't speak to the nature of health during CFP but he was moving better and throwing more normally.

Edited by Ghost of
  • Like 1