Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

3 hours ago, frontline205 said:

Oh man I don’t know why, but everything about that makes me thinks he’s going to be one of those dime a dozen great college QB’s who comes to the league and instantly sucks. 

This is ludicrously vague. Please provide specifics. 

Caleb is so not the guy he has been portrayed. 

Went to my high school -- his reputation could not be better. 

Well-regarded at USC as well. 

Comes from a GREAT family. If you want to ding him for painting his nails and crying with his mom, feel free. But the guy is a freak and a ferocious competitor. 

If we actually do get Kliff K, I fully expect Peters to at least explore trading up. It will be a game of chicken if nothing else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 8
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I have no issues trading up if you truly love a guy and believe hes the one and dont think any of the other options are as good. 

Id honestly rather trade up then trade down. Quality > quantity.

Ultimately though I dont think theres a chance Chicago passes on Williams.

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

This is ludicrously vague. Please provide specifics. 

I already elaborated earlier, but okay. I don’t see that grit every guy who gets drafted needs. All that chanting, and admiration reminds me of Zach Wilson at BYU, Sam Darnold at USC, Dwayne Haskins, RGIII. A guy in love with admiration. They usually have stuff come easily and struggle when pressure comes. But that’s my hypothesis and I’m no scout.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frontline205 said:

I already elaborated earlier, but okay. I don’t see that grit every guy who gets drafted needs. All that chanting, and admiration reminds me of Zach Wilson at BYU, Sam Darnold at USC, Dwayne Haskins, RGIII. A guy in love with admiration. They usually have stuff come easily and struggle when pressure comes. But that’s my hypothesis and I’m no scout.

In love with admiration? Did Maye organize those people? Was he asking them to chant his name? Was he conducting them and spending most of the interview looking at them? No, he acknowledged them and appreciated them and just went on with the interview.

Breaking news:

1) Football at large D1 colleges is a very big deal.

2) Quarterbacks in large successful D1 programs are well known and get lots of cheers.

Every single guy you listed there had MANY issues with their game that had nothing to do with crowds chanting their names. Guess what? For every single bust who had crowds who knew them and chanted their names, there are probably at least as many successful ones who also had the same thing.

You're absolutely grasping at straws here, my guy.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

The talk about Howell reminded me about a QB from the old Gibbs days. 

Have we forgtten mark Rypien's first season?  He came in game 4 these were his stats

image.thumb.png.e1e17dfcbd2321b704a69ab430bf2bed.png

I wonder if we were spoiled.  Look at that low TD/INT rate. 

here's 89:

image.thumb.png.90612446d847e1c7ef87e0f3bf516689.png

We had GREAT offensive lines back then.  Sam howel was sacked was it 49 times? no it was 65 Times!

So if you don't have quality coaching, and you don't have a quality o-line, and your supporting cast is not getting open enough, welll.

10 minutes ago, mistertim said:

In love with admiration? Did Maye organize those people? Was he asking them to chant his name? Was he conducting them and spending most of the interview looking at them? No, he acknowledged them and appreciated them and just went on with the interview.

Breaking news:

1) Football at large D1 colleges is a very big deal.

2) Quarterbacks in large successful D1 programs are well known and get lots of cheers.

Every single guy you listed there had MANY issues with their game that had nothing to do with crowds chanting their names. Guess what? For every single bust who had crows who knew them and chanted their names, there are probably at least as many successful ones who also had the same thing.

You're absolutely grasping at straws here, my guy.

We’ll see in September. I know Jayden Daniel’s improves and one QB regressed. I see the same QB who was the same from this past season to the last year. I didn’t see not one improvement which makes me think he relies heavily on natural talent. That’s concerning.

Edited by frontline205
  • Like 2
  • Thumb down 1

3 minutes ago, frontline205 said:

We’ll see in September. I know Jayden Daniel’s improves and one QB regressed. 

Here's an entire stadium chanting his name and "Heisman"

Daniels is clearly going to bust because he must love that admiration.

Do you now realize how dumb your "point" was?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Okay we’ll see in September. I’m not usually the type to post long messages. I’m mostly reading body language and going off feeling and don’t really want to have to type all that out.

i will say you completely ignored my assessment of Drake Maye not improving really from 2022 to 2023. I feel that the guy has been seen as a 1B prospect to Caleb Williams and didn’t improve much at all, and the tape and the numbers show it. That does not bode well in my thinking. I see it as someone who didn’t improve much and despite not improving much received all the hype still while UNC was not really making a lot of noise either.
I feel much like say a Matt Leinhart and the QB’s I mentioned earlier guys who get hyped as top picks should absolutely improve year to year. That footage made me feel like I’m watching a guy who has everyone in his world acting as if he’s already arrived.
Meanwhile Jayden Daniel’s went to his coaches and developed a plan to be great and I saw the results of that plan. In comparison I feel that he can take direction and execute that direction based off his improvement. 
however I will say LSU coaches are almost certainly better then UNC’s. Also if Drake Maye is the pick then I trust our front office above anything and will absolutely be on board. 

8 minutes ago, frontline205 said:

Okay we’ll see in September. I’m not usually the type to post long messages. I’m mostly reading body language and going off feeling and don’t really want to have to type all that out.

i will say you completely ignored my assessment of Drake Maye not improving really from 2022 to 2023. I feel that the guy has been seen as a 1B prospect to Caleb Williams and didn’t improve much at all, and the tape and the numbers show it. That does not bode well in my thinking. I see it as someone who didn’t improve much and despite not improving much received all the hype still while UNC was not really making a lot of noise either.
I feel much like say a Matt Leinhart and the QB’s I mentioned earlier guys who get hyped as top picks should absolutely improve year to year. That footage made me feel like I’m watching a guy who has everyone in his world acting as if he’s already arrived.
Meanwhile Jayden Daniel’s went to his coaches and developed a plan to be great and I saw the results of that plan. In comparison I feel that he can take direction and execute that direction based off his improvement. 
however I will say LSU coaches are almost certainly better then UNC’s. Also if Drake Maye is the pick then I trust our front office above anything and will absolutely be on board. 

And you completely ignored my point about how dumb it was to assume that Maye was "in love with admiration" because some UNC fans decided to gather near him and chant his name after a win, when that happens to college players all the time in big schools. Again, by your logic that means Daniels is "in love with admiration" because a whole stadium was chanting his name and "Heisman".

There's absolutely nothing in any articles, interviews, or reports that even hints at Maye being anything other than a very hard working and down to earth guy. Likewise with Daniels.

Can you please give some football reasons for why you like Daniels so much more than Maye? Have you watched film of them both and broken it down? 

Edited by mistertim

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Well not exactly as this season Drake Maye went on to win his Heisman. 

8 minutes ago, frontline205 said:

Well not exactly as this season Drake Maye went on to win his Heisman. 

Which has nothing to do with anything. You claimed that Maye was "in love with admiration" because some UNC fans gathered around him and chanted his name after a big win. Daniels had an entire stadium chanting his name. According to your logic that must mean he's "in love with admiration".

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

And you completely ignored my point about how dumb it was to assume that Maye was "in love with admiration" because some UNC fans decided to gather near him and chant his name after a win, when that happens to college players all the time in big schools. Again, by your logic that means Daniels is "in love with admiration" because a whole stadium was chanting his name and "Heisman".

There's absolutely nothing in any articles, interviews, or reports that even hints at Maye being anything other than a very hard working and down to earth guy. Likewise with Daniels.

Can you please give some football reasons for why you like Daniels so much more than Maye? Have you watched film of them both and broken it down? 

I did Daniel's improved and Maye regressed. Also perhaps I’m wrong. Like I clarified I don’t like the regression happens the season Maye was expected to go #2 and how most QB’s who regressed under hype in college tend to not do well once they actually go to the NFL. I don’t like that issues that were there in 2022 were just as present in 2023. Bad footwork, holding onto the ball too long. Daniel’s became a great deep ball thrower in college and I can envision a rushing attack featuring him causing defenses to play up, and then going over the top. I like guys who trend up.

but you are right I shouldn’t say anything on character for a man I don’t personally know I’ll say sorry on that. But everything else I feel has legit football merit. Also I don’t like a lot of Drake Mayes throws in college there’s a lot janky stuff going on cause of that bad footwork. Not to say that Daniel’s is perfect but I see a man who’s willing to do the work. I know that in Daniel’s or at least have a good feeling about it because of that improvement. I’m not as sure with Drake Maye and noticed that downward trends aren’t a good sign. 

15 minutes ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

Are you having a *good* Saturday night?

Awesome I’m at a party and having a forum debate probably not a good combo 🤣

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, frontline205 said:

I did Daniel's improved and Maye regressed. Also perhaps I’m wrong. Like I clarified I don’t like the regression happens the season Maye was expected to go #2 and how most QB’s who regressed under hype in college tend to not do well once they actually go to the NFL. I don’t like that issues that were there in 2022 were just as present in 2023. Bad footwork, holding onto the ball too long. Daniel’s became a great deep ball thrower in college and I can envision a rushing attack featuring him causing defenses to play up, and then going over the top. I like guys who trend up.

but you are right I shouldn’t say anything on character for a man I don’t personally know I’ll say sorry on that. But everything else I feel has legit football merit. Also I don’t like a lot of Drake Mayes throws in college there’s a lot janky stuff going on cause of that bad footwork. Not to say that Daniel’s is perfect but I see a man who’s willing to do the work. I know that in Daniel’s or at least have a good feeling about it because of that improvement. I’m not as sure with Drake Maye and noticed that downward trends aren’t a good sign. 

Awesome I’m at a party and having a forum debate probably not a good combo 🤣

You literally provided zero football analysis. You said "Oh, this guy did better, this guy didn't" and you think that somehow replaces studying film? Tell me specific things you think one guy does well and the other guy doesn't. How does one QB fare when throwing to the opposite hash? How is he when throwing to the boundaries? How is his footwork? Do his mechanics stay sound? How does he deal with pressure? Can he throw off-platform? Can he throw into tight windows? Does he throw with anticipation?

Actual football analysis please.

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

You literally provided zero football analysis. You said "Oh, this guy did better, this guy didn't" and you think that somehow replaces studying film? Tell me specific things you think one guy does well and the other guy doesn't. How does one QB fare when throwing to the opposite hash? How is he when throwing to the boundaries? How is his footwork? Do his mechanics stay sound? How does he deal with pressure? Can he throw off-platform? Can he throw into tight windows? Does he throw with anticipation?

Youve come to the wrong place

• Haha 6

**If we hire Kliff as OC**

I think all 3 QBs have the ability to run an Air raid system, and I think all 3 have the athleticism to do at least some running stuff, but its hard not to think that massively boosts the likelyhood of drafting Jayden at 2.

Kliff was chasing Kyler Murray outta high school, and said he would take him #1 overall well before he had a job w/ the Cards. You gotta imagine that he has a lot of qualities that resemble his idealized QB. Clearly he values dual threat QBs, and JD is by a country mile the biggest dual threat guy in the draft.

I still believe 99% chance Bears take Williams 1, and that does not change.

Personally, if we hire Kliff I will go from:

"Maye feels like the likely pick but you have to have the conversation about Daniels"

to

"Daniels feels like the likely pick but you have to have the conversation about Maye"

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I’m a guy on a forum I’m not a scout. I can do these things but, why. We disagree. I already said okay I shouldn’t question Drake Mayes character, but I do question the media and the fans. What has he actually done to stay the second QB off the board. Done, to get the cheers and hype. I said Jayden has done many things for that hype won a Heisman even. I said I don’t like players who are just anointed, and gave actually very sound football argument compared to many on this board. Now if you want me to pull up tape and give numbers okay, but I’ll pull it tomorrow.

I’ll check the board for your sound football analysis on Drake Maye and read up. I’m sure you’ve provided tape, and stats that’ll wow my mind and have me switching up my opinion already standby while I check.

3 minutes ago, frontline205 said:

I’m a guy on a forum I’m not a scout. I can do these things but, why. We disagree. I already said okay I shouldn’t question Drake Mayes character, but I do question the media and the fans. What has he actually done to stay the second QB off the board. Done, to get the cheers and hype. I said Jayden has done many things for that hype won a Heisman even. I said I don’t like players who are just anointed, and gave actually very sound football argument compared to many on this board. Now if you want me to pull up tape and give numbers okay, but I’ll pull it tomorrow.

I’ll check the board for your sound football analysis on Drake Maye and read up. I’m sure you’ve provided tape, and stats that’ll wow my mind and have me switching up my opinion already standby while I check.

I've talked quite a bit on here about what I like and dislike about Daniels and what I like and dislike about Maye when it comes to actual football. Do I really need to rehash the entire thing for you?

And can you tell me who exactly "anointed" Maye vs him having to work for it? 

And I honestly don't care about switching your opinion. Yours is clearly already made up. But at the very least you can be intellectually honest about why you're deciding one over the other.