Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

19 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

You can’t run the ball 75% of the time.  Typically when you’ve shown that you’ll run the snot out of the ball for 3/4 of a game, that’s a great time to switch it up and pass - particularly high percentage passes.  Taylor just so happened to miss the high percentage pass and threw the ball directly to the defense.  That’s on him, nobody else and I’m positive he feels the same way.

I am not absolving TH for that INT. I said so in the game day thread as well. I would have liked a different play there. Doesn't have to be a run. A shorter pass or a screen or a rollout. That INT killed our win and the ST penalty gave us no chance to even try to mount a come back. We were so close to a win I could taste it. 

14 minutes ago, mistertim said:

You mentioned being up by 10 in the 4th and that we should be running instead of passing, which would have "helped" Heinicke with the INT.

First of all, we were up by 7 points when Heinicke threw that INT, not 10.

But it doesn't really even matter, because:

Second of all, trying sit on a 7 or even 10 point lead with 8 minutes left to go in the game by running over and over in the modern NFL is silly. Even the dumbest fans know this. Offenses can score too quickly nowadays, no matter how well your defense is playing. 

Face it, your boy played poorly and threw a backbreaking interception that was one of the major reasons for the loss, and you don't like that. So you come up with some asinine idea that Turner should have just been running the ball 3 times in a row or something at that point in the game. Which is idiotic.

Going into the 4th QT we were up by 10. My bad. Regardless, our D had their number. I just feel we could have done better with play calling a bit. That's all. Again has nothing to do with TH. If it was Wentz back there and he throws an INT on that same play I would have said the same thing. We had the lead. 

1 minute ago, zCommander said:

I am not absolving TH for that INT. I said so in the game day thread as well. I would have liked a different play there. Doesn't have to be a run. A shorter pass or a screen or a rollout. That INT killed our win and the ST penalty gave us no chance to even try to mount a come back. We were so close to a win I could taste it. 

Going into the 4th QT we were up by 10. My bad. Regardless, our D had their number. I just feel we could have done better with play calling a bit. That's all. Again has nothing to do with TH. If it was Wentz back there and he throws an INT on that same play I would have said the same thing. We had the lead. 

It sounds like you’d rather lose by running over and over into brick walls than dialing up high percentage passing plays because running into brick walls alleviates Taylor from blame.

The pick aside, Taylor was dreadful yesterday against a defense among the worst in the league at defending the pass.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, zCommander said:

So you legitimately think it's a good idea to try and sit on a 7 point lead with 8 minutes left in the game by running the ball over and over and hoping that our defense doesn't give up any big plays?

Edited by mistertim
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

So you legitimately think it's a good idea to try and sit on a 7 point lead with 8 minutes left in the game by running the ball over and over and hoping that our defense doesn't give up any big plays?

Shorter passes and run moves the chains and eats up clock. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It sounds like you’d rather lose by running over and over into brick walls than dialing up high percentage passing plays because running into brick walls alleviates Taylor from blame.

The pick aside, Taylor was dreadful yesterday against a defense among the worst in the league at defending the pass.

My point is Turner wasn't thinking at a higher capacity. Even on that easy 4th and 1. Really bad play call there too. 

Shorter passes and run moves the chains and eats up clock. 

There was nothing wrong with that pass play that was called. It was 2nd and 11 and it was a midrange in route. Thomas was basically wide open and Heinicke just threw a ****ty pass. That should have been an easy pitch and catch for a 1st down to move the chains.

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

There was nothing wrong with that pass play that was called. It was 2nd and 11 and it was a midrange in route. Thomas was basically wide open and Heinicke just threw a ****ty pass. That should have been an easy pitch and catch for a 1st down to move the chains.

Or you run and setup a shorter pass for the 3rd down. 

Just now, NickyJ said:

I'm loving this OC-Taylor debate where the core of the argument is that Scott Turner should have called for a run play because Taylor sucks so bad that Scott should have known that Taylor would miss his receiver by a mile.

TE wide open and Milne wide open on the check down, but instead a majestic turkey took flight and it was intercepted.

Damn you Scott Turner. Damn you! 

:ols:

• Haha 7

My point is Turner wasn't thinking at a higher capacity. Even on that easy 4th and 1. Really bad play call there too. 

You can Turner, Turner, Turner til your hearts content, but 99.99% of the world knows Taylor played like trash against a bad defense and that is the primary and most important reason they lost the game.

I said it elsewhere, but you Hive guys should be much more respectful of Turner.  Without him, you’d never even have heard of Heinicke.  Literally the only positive I can say about Turner is how he game plans and sticks to a plodding strategy that somehow leads to winning games with Heinicke at QB.  The games stay manageable that way and to Taylor’s credit he turns up the moxie late.  

• Like 2

If you have no intention of starting Wentz again then there's really only one option, start Howell the rest of the season and let him sink or swim. If he sinks you obviously are looking to somehow draft a top QB next season. If he swims you have some options to upgrade the team around him. 

I'd personally start Wentz as soon as he's healthy enough and see if they can somehow make the PO's. If he stinks and they are out of contention switch to Howell at that point.

6 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Or you run and setup a shorter pass for the 3rd down. 

So basically on 2nd and 11 the OC shouldn't scheme a receiver wide open on a mid range in route and attempt that pass because his QB is ****ty and he should know better and should be running twice in a row and then passing in the hopes that his ****ty QB can manage a 5 yard slant since he ostensibly can't manage a 10 yard in route?

I refuse to accept that you actually believe any of this garbage.

Edited by mistertim
  • Thanks 1

Just now, mistertim said:

So basically on 2nd and 11 the OC shouldn't scheme a receiver wide open on a mid range in route and attempt that pass because his QB is ****ty and he should know better and should be running twice in a row and then passing in the hopes that his ****ty QB can manage a 5 yard slant since he ostensibly can't manage an 10 yard in route?

I watch football all day on Sunday. Plenty of times I have seen OC call a run to setup a shorter and more manageable 3rd down in case the run doesn't result in a 1st down. It is not called garbage. It is called chess and methodically moving your pieces. 

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

TE wide open and Milne wide open on the check down, but instead a majestic turkey took flight and it was intercepted.

Damn you Scott Turner. Damn you! 

:ols:

The Hive really can't seem to make up their minds on Heinicke.

"Have him drive it down the field more and let his guys make plays on the ball!"

"Don't let him throw any more than 5 yards!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I watch football all day on Sunday. Plenty of times I have seen OC call a run to setup a shorter and more manageable 3rd down in case the run doesn't result in a 1st down. It is not called garbage. It is called chess and methodically moving your pieces. 

He is saying that you argument is garbage, not OCs playing chess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

So basically on 2nd and 11 the OC shouldn't scheme a receiver wide open on a mid range in route and attempt that pass because his QB is ****ty and he should know better and should be running twice in a row and then passing in the hopes that his ****ty QB can manage a 5 yard slant since he ostensibly can't manage a 10 yard in route?

we converted a second and long a time or two on pass plays in this game.

The really bad play calls by Turner were the QB draw on 3rd and 9 and the rollout pass on 4th and 1.