Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

5 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Again, your opinion. Al Davis would likely disagree with you and the Raiders won multiple Super Bowls on his watch while he brought in misfit after misfit while ignoring their character flaws. Here's the question, do you wait and see like every other team or do you roll the dice and make the deal prepared for whatever scenario plays out? If he comes out of the April 1st date without criminal charges the price and competition just went through the roof. If you entice them now you may get him at a cheaper cost without the competition. That's speculation on my part but seems reasonable. Once the horse is in the barn you move forward. Make Houston an offer and tell them it's only good until the start of free agency cause we need to move forward and get a QB. This is truly a risky move that could lead to hitting the jackpot and we have a coach named Riverboat Ron. 

Bringing in misfits is one thing.  Bringing in people, and trading significant assets to do so when the player could be charged with a crime and go to jail is stupid.  

If you trade now and he ends up being charged and going to jail for 2-5 years, and you’re out 3 #1s, you are completely, total and absolutely screwed.  

And that is NOT an opinion.  That is fact. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

There isn't much momentum for Wilson to be traded in the short term, as Dan points out. Wilson is lying low and watching what Seattle does this offseason. The threat of a potential deal still looms, however, because several teams will continue to call. After talks with people around the league, the three teams that come up most often are Denver, Philadelphia and Washington, with a little Carolina talk. Based on what I know, Wilson would be more amenable to Denver than the NFC East.

If Rodgers stays with Green Bay as expected, don't be surprised if the Broncos turn their attention to Wilson and Seattle. But all of that is a big if, because he hasn't requested a trade. Seattle has discussed a Wilson deal with Chicago and Cleveland in past years, so it's not like its "intention" not to trade him -- coach Pete Carroll's stance -- can't be tweaked. But Carroll is 70 years old and probably not eyeing a rebuild with a lesser quarterback. And Wilson would have infinite leverage if he produces in a big way in 2022.

...A down year for QBs in the draft

There will be a few quarterbacks drafted in the first round; there always are. But this looks like it has a strong chance to be the first draft since 2013 in which no quarterback is selected in the top 10.

Could the Carolina Panthers reach for one at No. 6? It's possible, and they have been doing their homework on the class. But if they decide to go that route, they are more likely to try to trade down. Otherwise, I think they sit tight and take an offensive lineman.

Malik Willis shows off his arm with an impressive throw during drills at the NFL combine.

I do have my eye on the Washington Commanders at No. 11 for the spot where the first quarterback could go off the board. Washington has been calling around on every veteran option, but I'm told it also has been focused on the rookies. The Commanders know they need a quarterback for 2022, but they're obsessed with finding the answer at that position for the long term. Even if they sign a veteran in free agency, don't be surprised if they use their first-round pick on a quarterback as well. The top candidates are Malik Willis and Kenny Pickett. -- Graziano

Washington general manager Martin Mayhew said his club has talked to any team that might have an available quarterback. I asked a team source about this and was told that's fair to take at face value -- the Commanders are looking everywhere, from Russell Wilson to Deshaun Watson. Whether these discussions are formal or informal is unclear, but they are working hard on it. -- Fowler

I gave a like to this post because if things fell this way and we had our choice of QBs it gives us options.  I still like Ridder.  

34 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

The first part you quoted was kind of my point. When he melts down, we have the world's best back up that we can win with! I complemented Tays.

I’d bet my third unborn child we will sign somebody.  Or trade for somebody before the start of FA.

(It’s not much of a bet. We’re not having a third)

EDIT: This reply was not meant for you.  But I’m on my phone at a swim meet so I can’t fix it.

Edited by Voice_of_Reason

I could see the first QB going 20 to Pittsburgh. 

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

I’d bet my third unborn child we will sign somebody.  Or trade for somebody before the start of FA.

(It’s not much of a bet. We’re not having a third)

Absolutely. It's great having the world's best QB3 behind whoever we sign and draft though.

6 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Bringing in misfits is one thing.  Bringing in people, and trading significant assets to do so when the player could be charged with a crime and go to jail is stupid.  

If you trade now and he ends up being charged and going to jail for 2-5 years, and you’re out 3 #1s, you are completely, total and absolutely screwed.  

Absolutely, got to be criminally cleared. The only reason to take him is he puts us in as superbowl contenders .

1 hour ago, GOSKINS_08 said:

Just make the trade for Watson. If he has to sit for a year with suspension **** it. He’s young and would still be here 10+ years. Do what you gotta do to get him.

I think that may be a possibility. Sign Dalton, Bridgewater, or JimmyG  for year. This Qb problem is not going away 

Edited by Redskins 2021
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

My take.  Watson is a very good QB and if there were no sexual misconduct issues, other than Rodgers he'd be the most sought after QB for a trade.  Since he has red flags against him and if he proven innocent beyond a reasonable doubt then after speaking with him I MIGHT make the trade.  You have 22, not 1 or 2 but 22 allegations against him.  I would tread lightly like an ant walking on cotton in this situation about acquiring him in a trade.

12 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Insightful article there … so there’s a chance we could get Willis at #11 as QB1. That would be ideal IMO both long and short term. Keeps draft capital in place, limited cap exposure to QB even bringing in a veteran for a year. Ideal situation to take a crack at a high upside raw guy like Willis. Would love that. 

the way the combine is going it wouldn't surprise me.  Ideally we'd want Carolina and Denver to get veteran QBs if they do they might have their choice of Pickett or Willis.

Graziano who is plugged in, mentioned taking a veteran QB AND a first round QB.  That's not that different from Keim who said veteran and 2nd/3rd round QB -- but Keim has made seperate points about thinking they'd have a hard time passing at Pickett if he falls to 11.  

Carolina supposedly though really likes Pickett.  If so he might go first at 6.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 minute ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Absolutely, got to be criminally cleared. The only reason to take him is he puts us in as superbowl contenders .

I think that may be a possibility.

It's more than that. He's got to be criminally-cleared and NFL-cleared.

We've seen in the past that Goodell will inflict penalties on players even if the police choose not to charge. Watson would have to be completely exonerated by the police, in civil court, and get NFL assurances that the league will not impose any penalties.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

the way the combine is going it wouldn't surprise me.  Ideally we'd want Carolina and Denver to get veteran QBs if they do they might have their choice of Pickett or Willis.

Graziano who is plugged in, mentioned taking a veteran QB AND a first round QB.  That's not that different from Keim who said veteran and 2nd/3rd round QB -- but Keim has made seperate points about thinking they'd have a hard time passing at Pickett if he falls to 11.  

They might feel the same way about Willis too taking him at #11.  

Edited by RWJ

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

My take.  Watson is a very good QB and if there were no sexual misconduct issues, other than Rodgers he'd be the most sought after QB for a trade.  Since he has red flags against him and if he proven innocent beyond a reasonable doubt then after speaking with him I MIGHT make the trade.  You have 22, not 1 or 2 but 22 allegations against him.  I would tread lightly like an ant walking on cotton in this situation about acquiring him in a trade.

It is a very bad situation. This is a bussness no one else can bring what he can to this bussness. The Commanders need to figure out if we want to do business with him. I would suspect he will be suspended for the year next year.

Edited by Redskins 2021

Just now, Redskins 2021 said:

It is a very bad situation. This is a bussness no one else can bring what he can to this bussness. The Commanders need to figure out if we want to do business with him.

They wait like other teams that are interested and see but FA and the draft may have come and gone before Watson's issues are addressed. Thus, we have moved on.

It is a very bad situation. This is a bussness no one else can bring what he can to this bussness. The Commanders need to figure out if we want to do business with him.

Washington with all our baggage shouldn't trade for Watson. Even if he is criminally cleared. Even if the way if they get word that he is not going to be suspended. The clouds over this franchise are too similar to what he's been accused of. It would be a PR disaster.

We are the wrong team, at the wrong time, and the wrong moment to take a chance. If we do this, then we rename FedEx field Sky Hook.

10 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Risk vs Reward...And it's only your opinion vs mine. That's what this board is all about. Your post is your opinion, nothing is fact until it happens. 

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

They wait like other teams that are interested and see but FA and the draft may have come and gone before Watson's issues are addressed. Thus, we have moved on.

We need to move on but not all together. I don't want to sign to sign Trubisky to a 3 year 60 million dollar deal when we could get Watson.

I would rather sign Bridgewater for the year for 10 and then trade for Watson but right now with criminal charges pending we need to move on.

Edited by Redskins 2021

We need to move on but not all together. I don't want to sign to sign Trubisky to a 3 year 60 million dollar deal when we could get Watson.

I would rather sign Bridgewater for the year for 10 and then trade for Watson

R2021, we don't know what we are going to do but I think it is safe to say that we will wait and it wouldn't surprise me if what I mentioned in my last post occurs. 

I guess the big thing I don't want to see is Trubisky get signed qnd prevents us from doing anything else at Qb. If we give him a 3 year 60 million dollar deal we are stuck with him. I don't want to punt on the year but I don't want to be stuck with a Qb. 

Our organization is bad we would not get the time of day from some of  top Qbs. Watson would be best Qb we ever had. I would normally say no but this organization will never have a player of this ability without major problems. The way the Qb market is right now we have to fight over Trubisky. If we make the Watson move and it works we will be superbowl contenders till 2030. If it fails we will be bad till 2030. He must be cleared criminally and we need to know about suspension. It a huge move I can see both sides of the argument.

Edited by Redskins 2021

29 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Nah.  If all QBs are available at 11 we’ll take one for sure ni matter what we do absent trading for Wilson or Rodgers.  

if all of them are available?  Trade back a couple spots get some more picks

7 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I guess the big thing I don't want to see is Trubisky get signed qnd prevents us from doing anything else at Qb. If we give him a 3 year 60 million dollar deal we are stuck with him. I don't want to punt on the year but I don't want to be stuck with a Qb. 

Our organization is bad we would not get the time of day from some of  top Qbs. Watson would be best Qb we ever had. I would normally say no buy this organization will never have a player of this ability without major problems. The way Qb market is right now we have to fight over Trubisky. If we make the Watson move and it works we will be superbowl contenders till 2030. If it fails we will be bad till 2030. He must be cleared criminally and we need to know about suspension. 

And what has Tribusky, Mariotta, Winston, etc.. done to earn  such a salary?

That tier you sign them to a 1 year $10- $15 million deal tops with an option for a second year.

Jimmy G just trade a 3rd rounder only; you don’t extend him. He’s just a one year rental.

Either way you draft a qb and if you have draft again in 23; then you do it.

My fear Ron & The Motley GM crew just signs Jimmy G or that 3rd tier and give them a nice 3-4 year fat contract and that’s it. No draft pick for QB in any upcoming draft- 22,23 and beyond.

28 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Risk vs Reward...And it's only your opinion vs mine. That's what this board is all about. Your post is your opinion, nothing is fact until it happens. 

No.  It’s fact if you trade for a player who then goes to jail you’re screwed.  There’s no wiggle room on that one because you’d take the cap hit, give up the picks and be without the player.  

There are something which are opinion.  That’s fact. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

And what has Tribusky, Mariotta, Winston, etc.. done to earn  such a salary?

That tier you sign them to a 1 year $10- $15 million deal tops with an option for a second year.

Jimmy G just trade a 3rd rounder only; you don’t extend him. He’s just a one year rental.

Either way you draft a qb and if you have draft again in 23; then you do it.

My fear Ron & The Motley GM crew just signs Jimmy G or that 3rd tier and give them a nice 3-4 year fat contract and that’s it. No draft pick for QB in any upcoming draft- 22,23 and beyond.

I would not give Trubisky that money I am saying someone might. Trading for JimmyG with injury I probably would not because I think he will get released. He may only agree to come here if he get extended but for a third and no extinction I could live with that. I liked Wentz as the one year rental.

When this all started I thought we would get Carr or Tua. I was hoping Tua I think he could be good enough to get things done not great but good enough.  I thought Carr after coach was fired but that does not look good. I think Pickett at 11 and playing him may not be a bad idea he takes his lumps and next year he is ready to make a real playoff run. You can't trade Watson until criminal charges are finished, even then it may noy be worth it.I don't think they have any idea what they are going to do.

Edited by Redskins 2021

As for Watson; I will say this, it will not work out for this team.

We trade for him before knowing the criminal results.

Ge gets charged and goes to jail. He doesn’t ever play a down for us and we put know conditions on those picks. Houston rebuilds and we continue to suck.

Watson doesn’t get charged criminally.

Watson gets suspended until his civil case is done. So, he probably doesn’t play  for us for a season or two.

Watson has no criminal charges. The nfl waits until after his civil case to suspend him.  So, the entire time Watson is asked about his case. It effects his performance and we go 5-12. Watson demands to be traded in 23 and says he will not play for the Commanders.

The same above scenario can happen; if he loses his civil cases.

Washington is the last place he would agree to come to. The team with huge sexual harassment issues brings aboard the QB with sexual harassment and sexual assault issues? It would be nonstop focus on that unless he somehow won all his cases. Those of you dreaming of him allowing a trade here; are ****ing dreaming.

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

2 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

As for Watson; I will say this, it will not work out for this team.

We trade for him before knowing the criminal results.

Ge gets charged and goes to jail. He doesn’t ever play a down for us and we put know conditions on those picks. Houston rebuilds and we continue to suck.

Watson doesn’t get charged criminally.

Watson gets suspended until his civil case is done. So, he probably doesn’t play  for us for a season or two.

Watson has no criminal charges. The nfl waits until after his civil case to suspend him.  So, the entire time Watson is asked about his case. It effects his performance and we go 5-12. Watson demands to be traded in 23 and says he will not play for the Commanders.

The same above scenario can happen; if he loses his civil cases.

Washington is the last place he would agree to come to. The team with huge sexual harassment issues brings aboard the QB with sexual harassment and sexual assault issues? It would be nonstop focus on that unless he somehow won all his cases. Those of you dreaming of him allowing a trade here; are ****ing dreaming.

You could convince him to come here. Redo his deal he will come. You have to get an answer on suspension and criminal charges before any trade can be made. The team can not be any less popular. 

3 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I would not give Trubisky that money I am saying someone might. Trading for JimmyG with injury I probably would not because I think he will get released. He may only agree to come here if he get extended but for a third and no extinction I could live with that. I liked Wentz as the one year rental.

When this all started I thought we would get Carr or Tua. I was hoping Tua I think he could be good enough to get things done not great but good enough.  I thought Carr after coach was fired but that does not look good. I think Pickett at 11 and playing him may not be a bad idea he takes his lumps and next year he is ready to make a real playoff run. I don't think they have any idea what they are going to do.

Because they are clueless.

Ron is a defensive coach. Marty H was with Ron; twice. So, he will defer to his boss.

Was Stafford already there when Mayhew was Gm? Or did he draft him?

Nothing has changed my mind that Ron’s tenure ends just like his past 3 predecessors.