Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

11 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I’m finding it difficult to see Rivera wanting to go with drafting a rookie as his QB option this year. I think expectations for this year are set at making a run well into the playoffs. 

I fear that will be the case. Another staff trying to do two things at once and failing at both. Whole Ass one thing. They are going to try and win with some one like Jimmy G and then attempt to develop some middling option behind him.

So effing tired of this approach. It doesn’t work. Tired of the short term thinking 

Edited by Zim489
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Eagles, interesting

Via Mike Sando, the Athletic

Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 9.47.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 9.48.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 9.48.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 9.48.43 AM.png

We have better offers then panthers other teams blow us away.

The problem with us and Corral if he blows up the panthers or Denver even Atl may take him.

Edited by Redskins 2021

49ers fans pushing this narrative on twitter.  Maybe we should speak into existence, Heinicke for a 3rd?

1 minute ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I, for one, am SHOCKED we are included in that list. This is huge news. 

No shocker obviously.  I only posted it because I was wondering about the Eagles, I was hoping they wouldn't be in the mix -- and Breer is plugged in. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

No shocker obviously.  I only posted it because I was wondering about the Eagles, I was hoping they wouldn't be in the mix -- and Breer is plugged in. 

Yeah, i knew why you shared it, i was just adding in my own sarcasm as to our team being on that list, since it’s 100% a “no ****” statement :) 

• Like 1

Why reach? Why force a top-11 pick on a guy that doesn’t move the needle? 

A look into Washington’s facility presents two guys capable of leading an NFL offense. Would an ideal scenario place Taylor Heinicke or Kyle Allen under center for another 17 games? Heck no. But envisioning Rivera undertaking a first-year QB who won’t offer anything substantially more than the 25-year-old Allen or 28-year-old Heinicke simply doesn’t look to be in the cards from the information we’ve received out of Ashburn.

While Willis’ tape and performance at the Senior Bowl has seen his name rise on league-wide draft boards, he’s a project and a half and could follow in the footsteps of San Francisco 49ers gun-slinger Trey Lance, sitting a season before being ultimately thrust into the fire. 

However, Washington doesn’t have that luxury. If they draft a player, a QUARTERBACK for that matter, at No. 11, you won’t have him sit behind Heinicke for Week 1 let alone for a full season. 

Does Willis have tools? You betcha. High ceiling? As lofty as any. But for Rivera, with contract extensions pending for a bevy of his young arsenal of playmakers over the next few seasons, his window for success is now and that route lies via the veteran QB market.

Let me take you back to the days of Alex Smith. Acquired in 2018, while it seems like 10 years ago due to the constant musical-chairs act of names tasked with leading Washington’s offense, Smith’s veteran prowess was noticeable from the moment he aligned under center. Often labeled a “game manager” and “check-down Charlie” due to his knack for flooding the shallow areas of the offense with targets, Washington found itself at 5-2 before Halloween. A wily talent whose years of NFL experience allowed him to orchestrate the offense to a pristine level of execution, his immediate impact is something Rivera desires in a quarterback. 

With names like Derek Carr, Russell Wilson, and Deshaun Watson all reportedly open for business—although each player will require a hefty amount of assets (and players) to acquire—prior trades around the league further highlight why the veteran market is the sole route for the Commanders to extend their window for success. Tom Brady’s addition in Tampa Bay to the acquisition of Matthew Stafford from Los Angeles Rams general manager Les Snead last offseason both led to immediate championship success. While those are two outlying scenarios and surely the rookie QB path has also worked, there are no Patrick Mahomes’ or Joe Burrows in the class.

With a head coach on the heels of two sub .500 campaigns and an organization continuing to fight through the mud of their off-field turmoil—along with a new name, fresh uniforms, and a city in dire hunger for success—a veteran leader to captain the Commanders looks to represent the safest path to victory for one of the NFL’s most historic franchises.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep.  But judging by Keim and Standig swinging for a veteran is their Plan A and by a mile.

It has to be, Rivera has spent 2 seasons getting us to this point where he now wants us to take a major step forward. Drafting a rookie doesn’t really fit with that narrative for me. Maybe if we were picking top 3 with some elite QB prospects in the draft.

Now if we swing big and fail then Rivera has a major problem on his hands.

We're definitely gonna take a swing for a veteran. There just isn't any QB you can fall in love with and justify to the fans in the draft this year.

It'd be great if we could get a vet without giving up #11 because we could get a real difference maker on D with that pick, but that's unlikely, unless someone unexpectedly hits FA.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We're definitely gonna take a swing for a veteran. There just isn't any QB you can fall in love with and justify to the fans in the draft this year.

It'd be great if we could get a vet without giving up #11 because we could get a real difference maker on D with that pick, but that's unlikely, unless someone unexpectedly hits FA.

Right now the only vets that seem to be available are JimmyG, Wentz, and Watson. I just can't figure out who they can actually get.

Any Qb really worth it seems to not be available.

Edited by Redskins 2021

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Why reach? Why force a top-11 pick on a guy that doesn’t move the needle? 

Because our idiot HC ignored the position for 2 years 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep.  But judging by Keim and Standig swinging for a veteran is their Plan A and by a mile.

I think its obvious but sub 5% chance of it actually happening without grossly overpaying compared to the other teams in the running and the top QBs could all say **** that im not going to Washington. 

Ron and Co are totally unaware of their situation. 

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Because our idiot HC ignored the position for 2 years 

I think its obvious but sub 5% chance of it actually happening without grossly overpaying compared to the other teams in the running and the top QBs could all say **** that im not going to Washington. 

Ron and Co are totally unaware of their situation. 

I think we may have to overpay for 2nd tier Qb because of lack of Qb availability. 

Just now, Redskins 2021 said:

I think we may have to overpay for 2nd tier Qb because of lack of Qb availability. 

I dont even consider the guys available as second tier. Some one like Stafford IMO is below Rodgers Wilson and Watson. Carr whos not available it seems is like tier 3 and Jimmy G is like tier 4. 

Just now, psu2008 said:

Trading everything and overpaying for Rodgers/Watson OR getting lucky in the draft are the only ways.. 

I dont think we have to trade everything for one of those guys to be successful. Or put it this way dont trade everything this year.Try 2nd chance Qb this year if it does not work you will have to make a big move next year. The market will be easier to deal with because there will be better draftable qbs.

5 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

make a big move next year.

Dont want Ron waiting until his 4th Offseason to finally get a QB with the possibility of being fired after the season is over while giving up assets. You have had 4 years to build a team and find a QB. Lets see the results. 

Im tired of setting up the next staff with the previous staffs QB while also setting them behind on Draft capital. It happened with Jay and Ron. Ron here is your guy you picked you can move assets for this year and thats it. Make it work if not then pack your bags. 

Edited by Zim489
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I dont think we have to trade everything for one of those guys to be successful. Or put it this way dont trade everything this year.Try 2nd chance Qb this year if it does not work you will have to make a big move next year. The market will be easier to deal with because there will be better draftable qbs.

2nd chance QBs don't work. Tannehill is the only one who could possibly be considered that, but his situation is a bit unique because

1) He wasn't a "bust" in Miami. He was a pretty decent QB but didn't really live up to his draft position and they wanted to try and upgrade.

2) He went to a situation where his new team had an unstoppable All Pro running back to lean heavily on. We saw Tannehill's production drop a lot this year when Henry was injured.

A 2nd chance QB basically means you completely struck out at getting a top notch QB or drafting one and you (the coach) are trying to save your job by pretending there's a possibility that whatever reclamation project you bring in will be anything other than mediocre at best.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Dont want Ron waiting until his 4th Offseason to finally get a QB with the possibility of being fired after the season is over while giving up assets. You have had 4 years to build a team and find a QB. Lets see the results. 

Agreed, Rivera simply can’t wait another year. 

• Like 3