Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

In regards to that large tweet chain:

A.) If the situation is as that dude described where you are testing your lead dude, there are only two ways things can go down. You either learn enough negatives about your leading candidate to move on to someone else, or you keep with your main guy but you have already sewn the seeds of mistrust before the relationship even starts. Heck of a dangerous game and you gotta wonder before you start if the juice is even worth the squeeze. It only really pays off if you vacate your lead guy.

B.) I thought the information about agents getting pissed if anyone ever tries that again was funny. Agree w/ that one. Don't get to play around at the top of the draft like that, especially w/ QBs.

Agents and players can go **** a cactus sideways if they're too much of a bunch of sissies and crybabies to withstand a ****ing group Top Golf outing.

That is actually a really good test on its own. You have a top pick in the draft. Publicly state that you're going to do a fun group outing like the Commanders did. And then see who embraces it and who whines like little ****es. 

The ones who whine like little ****es can immediately be crossed off the list. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

From the above ProFootballTalk tweet, that’s Fake News Florio and he had nothing to do with the ouster of Dan and he can shove a lamppost up his ass sideways and then turn it on for an extra sizzle.

Dumbass lying piece of **** attention whore rat ass **** mother ****er failure of a human being. 

Florio also tried to dampen fan enthusiasm whenever he could last year by keep bringing up "people" he talks to tell him Dan might not sell.

McCarthy is the youngest prospect, faced the toughest competition, apparently has a magnetic personality, bore the weight of a blue blood program on his shoulders, had clutch performances in big games, is mobile, and excels at working the middle of the field.

Newmark on TopGolf "I thought it was a really cool dynamic, seeing like the organic, like how guys came together - how magnetic certain individuals were versus others"

Newmark on what makes a great QB "The great quarterbacks I've been around have tremendous inner belief in themselves. And the more you're around a person, the more you feel that and see that in them. And um, I would say the ability to unify people and create a common belief, but that core believe in themselves has always been something that I've seen"

Peters emphasized the importance of leadership in a QB, and leading in a way that's authentic to yourself.

Keim doing a 180 on McCarthy counted out to now he has a real chance...

Peters, Quinn and Kingsbury all went to JJ's pro day and had a private meeting with him at the time as well. (I know they went to USC/LSU/UNC too)

Anyone know how McCarthy's physical talents compare with Purdy's? 

Also: McCarthy has proven he can play in cold weather.

Edited by CapsSkins
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think the Maye/Daniels and defenses they faced thing kind of balances out by talent around them though. Daniels faced better defenses overall, but he also had a really good OL and 2 elite 1st round receivers. Maye faced worse defenses overall, but had a **** OL and nobody of note to throw the ball to. Tez Walker is fast but other than that he sucks. Runs **** routes, constantly drops passes, and is lazy. I wouldn't take him before the 5th round.

I guess it might balance things out some - except for the fact Daniels had a much better season than Maye did. So yeah, he had better weapons (nothwithstanding folks continue to ignore the presence of 1,500-yard All-American RB Omarion Hampton in the UNC backfield), but Daniels also faced much better competition than Maye did - and put up better numbers against that tougher competition than Maye did against a laughably weak schedule.

But I'll take Maye anyway kk thx bai. No, really. 

Just now, CapsSkins said:

Tough to compare since they ran different combine drills. 

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/brock-purdy

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/jj-mccarthy

all we can really do is run a very sophisticated “eyeball test”. JJ is superior in every category 😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Also: McCarthy has proven he can play in cold weather.

This is an interesting point and something I've wondered about with Daniels. A while back, I went through his game log for ASU/LSU, and I didn't see where he really ever had to deal with cold weather.  Both McCarthy and Maye did - and both have the arms to deal with nasty conditions. I have no idea, though, whether that's a factor in front office evaluation of QB prospects. We keep hearing, for example, that NE loves Daniels - does that mean they don't think it's a valid consideration, or are they satisifed that Daniels has enough arm for the northeast?

Edited by Dah-Dee
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CapsSkins said:

McCarthy is the youngest prospect, faced the toughest competition, apparently has a magnetic personality, bore the weight of a blue blood program on his shoulders, had clutch performances in big games, is mobile, and excels at working the middle of the field.

Newmark on TopGolf "I thought it was a really cool dynamic, seeing like the organic, like how guys came together - how magnetic certain individuals were versus others"

Newmark on what makes a great QB "The great quarterbacks I've been around have tremendous inner belief in themselves. And the more you're around a person, the more you feel that and see that in them. And um, I would say the ability to unify people and create a common belief, but that core believe in themselves has always been something that I've seen"

Peters emphasized the importance of leadership in a QB, and leading in a way that's authentic to yourself.

Keim doing a 180 on McCarthy counted out to now he has a real chance...

Peters, Quinn and Kingsbury all went to JJ's pro day and had a private meeting with him at the time as well. (I know they went to USC/LSU/UNC too)

Love this! I think he is all around better than Purdy 

J.J. MCCARTHY VS. BROCK PURDY NFL COMBINE MCCARTHY PURDY

Height

6-2.5

6-1

Weight

Hand size

9"

9 1/4"

Throw velocity

61 MPH

52 MPH

Three-cone drill

6.82 sec

7.21 sec

20-yard shuttle

4.23 sec

4.45 sec

40 time is better as well..Purdy with a 4.84 and JJ in 2023 ran a 4.48 I'm assuming it's still the same or faster 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I have never seen more grifters in any business than in the football "media" and I work in entertainment.

Good Lord. So many takes based on nothing. Okay, Profharvey! You've cracked the code!

If the team thinks Maye and Daniels are better players, but they take JJ because of his magnetic personality at Top Golf... I mean, I just can't see it happening. 

You take him because you think he's going to be the best player period.

I mean, it's not like Aaron Rodgers teammates love him. Or even Brett Favre back in the day (the most underreported story ever from a starstruck media). Let's not lose our minds over JJ's firm handshake, people. 

Edited by Hooper
  • Like 2

Part of me feels like it will be McCarthy and then we'll all realize the answer was staring us in the face the whole time. The guy who found Brock Purdy emphasizing the importance of leadership and intangibles picks a Much Better Brock Purdy with arguably the best leadership/intangibles in the class and who has been running an NFL-style system in college.

• Like 4

Something that I mentioned 100 pages back or so that some remember, JJ was the 1st interview we had at the Combine and it was put out there to social media that we were going to meet with him for dinner before his Pro Day.  I don't remember that being said about any other QB candidate (going out to dinner before their Pro Day) and as I said that could mean something or nothing.  One has to decide.  

• Like 1

From early this past season:

“We have given J.J. a lot more leeway and opportunity to have a better understanding of defenses and help with protections,” Campbell, who acted as offensive coordinator in Michigan’s 30-3 win over ECU, said. “He changed the protection for us (on that play) and got us in a nice play. He’s changed plays and got us in and out of the right looks, and he’s invested in that area."

“It’s only going to help the growth of our offense and him.”

https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/2023/09/michigan-gives-qb-jj-mccarthy-more-freedom-in-play-action-attack.html

• Like 1

This thread is such a rollercoaster, man.   :ols: 

Keim: "There's not a 0% chance that they'll take McCarthy at 2 overall"

ES: "OMG WE'RE TAKING MCCARTHY AT 2! MAYBE HE'S THE NEXT BRADY! OR PURDY ON STEROIDS! HE CAN PLAY IN COLD WEATHER! I HEAR HE HAS A 12 INCH PENIS!"

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

2 minutes ago, Hooper said:

I have never seen more grifters in any business than in the football "media" and I work in entertainment.

Good Lord. So many takes based on nothing.

If the team thinks Maye and Daniels are better players, but they take JJ because of his magnetic personality at Top Golf... I mean, I just can't see it happening. 

It won't Hooper.  The Top Golf deal was nothing but a psychology barometer of sorts seeing the interaction between the QB candidates.  

Just now, CapsSkins said:

who has been running an NFL-style system in college.

I guess I'm not even sure what an NFL-style system is anymore, seems like there's been so much overlap, and blending of concepts, in recent years for both college and pro teams, that it's harder than ever to differentiate.

UNC ran two different versions of Kingsbury's not-Air-Raid-! system with Maye, and LSU ran a version of the Philly offense for 2 years with Daniels; read an article recently breaking down all the concepts and even specific plays both the Eagles and Tigers used, it was spooky. 

So I'm not even sure McCarthy isn't behind both Maye and Daniels when it comes to pro-style experience in college.

6 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Something that I mentioned 100 pages back or so that some remember, JJ was the 1st interview we had at the Combine and it was put out there to social media that we were going to meet with him for dinner before his Pro Day.  I don't remember that being said about any other QB candidate (going out to dinner before their Pro Day) and as I said that could mean something or nothing.  One has to decide.  

I'll be the one. I have decided. It means nothing. You're welcome!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

This thread is such a rollercoaster, man.   :ols: 

Keim: "There's not a 0% chance that they'll take McCarthy at 2 overall"

ES: "OMG WE'RE TAKING MCCARTHY AT 2! MAYBE HE'S THE NEXT BRADY! OR PURDY ON STEROIDS! HE CAN PLAY IN COLD WEATHER! I HEAR HE HAS A 12 INCH PENIS!"

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952ov3mngrwrq81f9adhq

I was wondering how he got the nickname “tripod”. Thanks for confirming why!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

I guess I'm not even sure what an NFL-style system is anymore, seems like there's been so much overlap, and blending of concepts, in recent years for both college and pro teams, that it's harder than ever to differentiate.

UNC ran two different versions of Kingsbury's not-Air-Raid-! system with Maye, and LSU ran a version of the Philly offense for 2 years with Daniels; read an article recently breaking down all the concepts and even specific plays both the Eagles and Tigers used, it was spooky. 

So I'm not even sure McCarthy isn't behind both Maye and Daniels when it comes to pro-style experience in college.

McCarthy has the most experience operating under center and from it sounds like, setting protections and communicating playcalls.

Check this out: he far outmatches the other prospects in terms of converting 1st downs from 3rd and long (defined as 3rd and 7+):

Screenshot-2024-02-14-at-16.26.58-1024x389.png

Source: https://seahawksdraftblog.com/friday-draft-notes-j-j-mccarthy-seattles-approach-at-center-and-why-trading-down-seems-likely

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, mistertim said:

The-Game-McCarthy-Football.jpg

First time I saw a pic of McCarthy doing the meditation thing, I thought it was a joke, then I thought it was weird, then I felt like a jerk when I read about his mental health journey, dealing with both depression and ADHD, and now I think he's a really good guy and pretty courageous in how open he's been about living with those serious challenges.

• Like 3

McCarthy bulked up to 219 lbs at the combine and was measured at 6' 2.5". He didn't run the 40 but did other agility drills. He threw the ball at 61 mph, second only to Joe Milton. He apparently aced his interviews.

The most important part of the QB position is arguably making the right decision time after time after time, and keeping your cool in big moments. Galvanizing your teammates, inculcating a sense of belief and earning their trust.

The kid is young and with coaching, he can hopefully refine his mechanics and improve his touch and ability to throw outside the numbers. But the arm strength is there and the mental makeup is there.

**** it, I really think the answer has been staring us in the face the whole time while we've been debating Daniels vs. Maye.

Or maybe @illone, @mac8887, and @RWJ finally got to me, not to mention the grandmaster of them all - the one and only.... @Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin! 

Edited by CapsSkins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

First time I saw a pic of McCarthy doing the meditation thing, I thought it was a joke, then I thought it was weird, then I felt like a jerk when I read about his mental health journey, dealing with both depression and ADHD, and now I think he's a really good guy and pretty courageous in how open he's been about living with those serious challenges.

I never had an issue with the meditation thing. I do it sometimes and as a person who is ADHD and has also dealt with mental health challenges I know it can be very helpful.

Now a picture of yourself in your own jacket? Yeah, no. Miss me with that ****. 

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

McCarthy has the most experience operating under center and from it sounds like, setting protections and communicating playcalls.

I've seen a good amount of discussion in the last few months about how teams are not concerned very much anymore with whether a QB prospect has experience under center, and a lot of that has to do with the overlap/blending I mentioned between pro and college systems/concepts. I think the stat I saw showed NFL teams last season played out of shotgun some ridiculous percentage of the time, it was like 80-90%.

On the 3rd down stats, that's the kind of thing where I think we can pull out something equally impressive about each guy if we dig enough. It's nice to see, but doesn't really affect the evaluation a whole lot on its own.

I do think teams would like to see QBs calling protections, making audibles etc., and that's something where it's been hard to find info on any of them, other than anecdotally or just guessing by where the QB seems to be looking before the snap.  McCarthy is the only where I've seen it referenced specifically, and I think that's just been on one specific play, but I'd think if he did it once, he probably did it somewhat regularly? Just not sure how much weight front offices will give that (same as with the cold weather factor). No idea.

I rewatched JJ at the combine and he didn’t look that great on medium and deep throws. Missed multiple throws badly. Maybe he was a little nervous. Overall, he is probably my 5th ranked QB in this class behind Penix. Not enough passes in College to properly evaluate him. Does everything adequately, but nothing jumps out as special.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Since the beginning, Keim has said we are undecided and it is likely down to two, with JM not one of them

Keim has straight up said he is getting info from someone in the JD camp.  Likely, this info was stating the Skins were very high on JD.

Recently JD's agent messed up.

Now Keim thinks it could be JD or JJ, with Drake on the outside.

My thoughts are that Keim is putting too much weight on what he hears from JD's camp.

It has likely been between two people since early on, but the two are Drake and JJ.

Notice that JJ wasn't part of the conversation until JD's agent started tweeting.

Edited by ILikeBilly2
  • Like 2