Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread: 2021 SUPERBOWL - RAMS VS. BENGALS!!!

zCommander

Glad to see that incredible game has been turned into a routine argument about overtime rules 

the especially awesome comments are the ones where people act like the game sucked because Buffalo didn’t touch the ball on offense at the end 😂 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Whaaaat?

That was an wildly entertaining finish. Screamed my head off. It was not disappointing at all. That felt like an "All time" game that will be talked about for years

The only way that game was a frustration fest was if you had skin on the game. If you had to worry about Bruno breaking down your door and demanding his money, then I get your point.

I was in more disbelief then entertained.  It was cool, not gonna lie, but I don't blame anyone for being at the same time disappointed it basically turned into arena league or 7 on 7.

I know I was, because at that point it was completely predictable that whoever had the ball last was going to win this game.  There was no defense anymore to end that game, 13 seconds then marching right down the field with elimination in the line was hard to watch. 

Yes, I was rooting for the Bills, that was brutal.

Edited by Renegade7

Just now, tshile said:

Glad to see that incredible game has been turned into a routine argument about overtime rules 

the especially awesome comments are the ones where people act like the game sucked because Buffalo didn’t touch the ball on offense at the end 😂 

we didn’t say it sucked but it’s extremely disappointing and absurdly unfair that Allen didn’t get a chance with the ball again 

Just now, Renegade7 said:

I was in more disbelief then entertained.  It was cool, not gonna lie, but I don't blame anyone for being at the same time disappointed it basically turned into arena league or 7 on 7.

I know I was, because at that point it was completely predictable that whoever had the ball last was going to win this game.  There was no defense anymore to end that game, 13 seconds then marching right down the field with elimination in the lie was hard to watch. 

Yes, I was rooting for the Bills, that was brutal.

you can say that now but we’ve seen hundreds of games like that where the game ends on a pick or turnover on downs/defensive stand. 

that’s why this one was so special, the offenses prevailed and did something truly remarkable.

id put this up there with the best NFL games I’ve ever seen. If the Chiefs go on to win the SB it will be legendary 

3 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

assuming every game ends with an all time defensive collapse. Most games that go to OT don’t tho so you’ll have two evenly matched teams in a well fought game 

In context, I feel like this discussion on changing overtime rules right now is centered around the game we all jus watched, not in general all the overtime games this year or recently.

In this game, the Bills defense disappeared, they don't deserve to have the rules change to give them extra lives for this one game. 

I find overtime confusing sometimes now and don't like ties, but I dislike the idea of allowing TDs greatly.  If I made a change, I'd get rid of ties (which don't happen in the playoffs anyway).

5 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

you can say that now but we’ve seen hundreds of games like that where the game ends on a pick or turnover on downs/defensive stand. 

I like that, though, we still like that, right?

that’s why this one was so special, the offenses prevailed and did something truly remarkable.

id put this up there with the best NFL games I’ve ever seen. If the Chiefs go on to win the SB it will be legendary 

Yea, I get why some would say this was awesome, I jus won't be one of them in context of where I see the NFL going in regards to making defenses useless.  It feels like that's the end game, and this was another remind of that.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong for finding this entertaining as hell, I jus hate watching defenses completely fall apart, it irks me something bad.  I'd start throwing up my hands in a 50+ to 50+ game, call me old guy screaming at a cloud if you want, but that's how I feel right now. 

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

In context, I feel like this discussion on changing overtime rules right now is centered around the game we all jus watched, not in general all the overtime games this year or recently.

In this game, the Bills defense disappeared, they don't deserve to have the rules change to give them extra lives for this one game. 

I find overtime confusing sometimes now and don't like ties, but I dislike the idea of allowing TDs greatly.  If I made a change, I'd get rid of ties (which don't happen in the playoffs anyway).

yeah the discussion is now because we just watched an all time great game end with a superstar player that was scorching white fire hot not get touch the ball. 

but the rules should be changed for a game that’s a 7-7 defensive bloodbath going into OT too 

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm not saying anyone is wrong for finding this entertaining as hell, I jus hate watching defenses completely fall apart, it irks me something bad.  I'd start throwing up my hands in a 50+ to 50+ game, call me old guy screaming at a cloud if you want, but that's how I feel right now. 

it’s just a weird time to say this when we saw 2 great defensive games this weekend, one massive comeback fueled by turnovers, and one game that was pretty tame until the final few minutes when there was an offensive explosion fueled by two all time great players. 

my point was that we see games similar to this setup all the time but in those instances, the team in the Bills’ role doesnt go down the field and score, then the other team certainly doesn’t do what the Chiefs did in response. 

feels like this is less about defense as a whole being useless (when 99% of the time this doesn’t happen because of defensive stops) and more about two incredible players doing something we have rarely if ever seen before. Appreciate it for what it is 

1 minute ago, PolarExpress said:

I was there.  It was a fun game at the end.  Brady seemed totally off the entire game.  TB has great fans.  Place was packed.

wow I bet that was a fun experience 

Here is another thought, if you are someone saying that the league is catering to offense too much, imagine how unfair it is that a defense could potentially be on the field for 5-6 straight minutes for a game tying TD drive and then also have to immediately go right back on the field based on the OT coin flip? The existing rules mean that unit is kinda ****ed and their offense won’t have a chance to make up for them. 

sure sure, they should stop them, but in many cases, they are doing back to back drives which defenses never have to do 

22 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

yeah the discussion is now because we just watched an all time great game end with a superstar player that was scorching white fire hot not get touch the ball. 

but the rules should be changed for a game that’s a 7-7 defensive bloodbath going into OT too 

More the fair on both points.

I still have a couple problems with allowing TDs in overtime, in context of some of the points that we should.

For one, defensive or special teams tds occur, and the opposing teams offense doesn't score a TD on the next drive. If the case is for all three phases to have a chance to play, then in either of those cases that's not what would happen.

If one team starts overtime with a pick 6 then fails to score a td in the next drive, the winning team won in overtime without the offense ever taking the field.  Isn't that bailing out the winning teams offense in overtime?

Two, safeties.  Right now, overtime games end on safeties, would that continue?  If we let the other team get the ball, pretty much any score would give them more then two points.

Imo, games should continue to end of TDs or safeties, it gets really messy trying to allow either for the sake of giving the other team a chance to match. 

Teams are supposed to win in regulation, how much help should we be giving teams that can't do that?

I get it, many feel Allen should've had the chance to run offense in overtime. But this is a multiphase game, his defense let him down at the worst possible time, and the other 2 phases had to share the loss because of it.

I'm open to suggestions to address this, but I belive it is going to have to involve the 1 and 2 points I made here and in a previous post.

My solution? Play better defense when it matters most and you won't have this problem the Bills had today.

17 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

it’s just a weird time to say this when we saw 2 great defensive games this weekend, one massive comeback fueled by turnovers, and one game that was pretty tame until the final few minutes when there was an offensive explosion fueled by two all time great players. 

my point was that we see games similar to this setup all the time but in those instances, the team in the Bills’ role doesnt go down the field and score, then the other team certainly doesn’t do what the Chiefs did in response. 

feels like this is less about defense as a whole being useless (when 99% of the time this doesn’t happen because of defensive stops) and more about two incredible players doing something we have rarely if ever seen before. Appreciate it for what it is  

Those two playoff games are a small sample size in what has been occurring this century in the NFL.  Scoring has been going up, a lot due to rule changes catered towards defense in favor of offense.  What you're saying sounds similar to saying we don't have to worry about global warming because it snowed yesterday ; )

Edited by Renegade7

Here is another thought, if you are someone saying that the league is catering to offense too much, imagine how unfair it is that a defense could potentially be on the field for 5-6 straight minutes for a game tying TD drive and then also have to immediately go right back on the field based on the OT coin flip? The existing rules mean that unit is kinda ****ed and their offense won’t have a chance to make up for them. 

sure sure, they should stop them, but in many cases, they are doing back to back drives which defenses never have to do 

The team having possession in the second half is decided by a coin flip before the beginning of the first. That's completely fine, maybe we jus give a halftime level break between 4th quarter and overtime to give all sides a breather?

18 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

For one, defensive or special teams tds occur, and the opposing teams offense doesn't score a TD on the next drive. If the case is for all three phases to have a chance to play, then in either of those cases that's not what would happen.

If one team starts overtime with a pick 6 then fails to score a td in the drive, the winning team won in overtime without the offense ever taking the field.  Isn't that bailing out the winning teams offense in overtime?

Two, safeties.  Right now, overtime games end on safeties, would that continue?  If we let the other team get the ball, pretty much any score would give them more then two points.

Imo, games should continue to end of TDs or safeties, it gets really messy trying to allow either for the sake of giving the other team a chance to match. 

the case is not necessarily that “all 3 phases should have a chance to play” it’s simply to make a fair and competitive OT period. 

there is no need for the 2nd offense to come back onto the field after a defensive TD or safety. The first team gets the ball and gets a safety or fumble/int TD, that’s the game. It’s the equivalent of them having the ball, going 3 and out, and punting. They had their chance and the other team just ended it with their defense. 

the issue of balance and fairness only arises when one team goes down and scores a TD. 99% of the time you score is on offense, not defense. So not giving a team the chance to score on offense is wrong and is the issue. Some games will be ended by the defense and that’s fine because the unit that is responsible for scoring, still had a chance for the first team, even if their defense does not take the field 

18 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Teams are supposed to win in regulation, how much help should we be giving teams that can't do that?

well neither team won in regulation but the first team with the ball gets a massive advantage. There is a competitive balance issue at play here.

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

Speaking of competitive balance. What would be the reaction if the Bills DC instructed his team to grab every Chiefs WR and hold them for the entire duration of every play on the final drive? Or just outright tackle them in their routes? They would give up 5 yards and burn 5-6 seconds each play, ending the Chiefs final drive. They wouldn’t have been able to get in FG range. Sort of the NFL equivalent of fouling before a team can attempt a game tying 3 in the NBA. 

I hate that that would be legal as someone that is a competitor. It’s wrong. I’m sure as offenses get more prolific this will occur at some point and it will be awful. 

11 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

the case is not necessarily that “all 3 phases should have a chance to play” it’s simply to make a fair and competitive OT period. 

there is no need for the 2nd offense to come back onto the field after a defensive TD or safety. The first team gets the ball and gets a safety or fumble/int TD, that’s the game. It’s the equivalent of them having the ball, going 3 and out, and punting. They had their chance and the other team just ended it with their defense. 

the issue of balance and fairness only arises when one team goes down and scores a TD. 99% of the time you score is on offense, not defense. So not giving a team the chance to score on offense is wrong and is the issue. Some games will be ended by the defense and that’s fine because the unit that is responsible for scoring, still had a chance for the first team, even if their defense does not take the field 

well neither team won in regulation but the first team with the ball gets a massive advantage. There is a competitive balance issue at play here.

I see, so you're proposing the only TDs allowed for matching by the other team are offensive TDs.  As long as after both teams score a TD, it's sudden death no matter what so we can go home the same day, I can love with this. And no more ties.

7 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Speaking of competitive balance. What would be the reaction if the Bills DC instructed his team to grab every Chiefs WR and hold them for the entire duration of every play on the final drive? Or just outright tackle them in their routes? They would give up 5 yards and burn 5-6 seconds each play, ending the Chiefs final drive. They wouldn’t have been able to get in FG range. Sort of the NFL equivalent of fouling before a team can attempt a game tying 3 in the NBA. 

I hate that that would be legal as someone that is a competitor. It’s wrong. I’m sure as offenses get more prolific this will occur at some point and it will be awful. 

Games can't end on a penalty, refs would march the offense all the way to the 1 yard line if they have to, but you can't run out the clock via penalties.

But with 13 seconds left, I see your point.  If someone did that, there would be a change going into next season for sure, like if it's deemed intentional the clock gets set back to what it was before the play started so the clock doesn't move, even if the penalty is accepted.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Games can't end on a penalty, refs would march the offense all the way to the 1 yard line if they have to, but you can't run out the clock via penalties.

But with 13 seconds left, I see your point.  If someone did that, there would be a change going into next season for sure, like if it's deemed intentional the clock gets set back to what it was before the play started so the clock doesn't move, even if the penalty is accepted.

Right they’d  only need to do it 1-2 times then the possibility of a FG is gone and it becomes a 70 yard Hail Mary 

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I see, so you're proposing the only TDs allowed for matching by the other team are offensive TDs.  As long as after both teams score a TD, it's sudden death no matter what so we can go home the same day, I can love with this. And no more ties.

yeah both offenses deserve a chance. That’s all unless the first offense gets a safety or turnover for a TD. 

if both offenses score a TD, I’m fine with sudden death after that or as a different option, requiring the second team to go for 2 after their TD to either win or lose there. 

no ties even in regular season. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

yeah both offenses deserve a chance. That’s all unless the first offense gets a safety or turnover for a TD. 

if both offenses score a TD, I’m fine with sudden death after that or as a different option, requiring the second team to go for 2 after their TD to either win or lose there. 

no ties even in regular season. 

You got yourself a GD deal :cheers:deal-hand-shake.gif.a722010fef70a7e100f322945430cf09.gif

I'll be the pup in this was, and find this a fair compromise. 

Calling it a night, have a 9am meeting and hoping I don't have nightmares about QBR or two deep shell.

200.gif.a799b1c1b26dbfd0a3ebfbd44d9e6953.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Czaban just tweeted this link that indicated such a practice was "outlawed" in 2017.  Apparently it involved something the Ravens tried to do:

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2017/3/28/15066542/nfl-rule-prevent-team-burning-clock-repeated-intentional-penalties

• Like 2

@Renegade7

100% correct about the OT rules.  It sucked for the games to end on a 20 or 30 yard FG drive.  If your defense can't stop the offense from scoring a TD, you don't deserve to win. 

I am not sure KC wins the Lombardi with their lackluster defense.  

I have not been paying attention to how good Josh Allen is.  

All the defenses should have been in Cover 11... 

3 hours ago, MisterPinstripe said:

That was not an enjoyable game. I like watching offense too, but when there is just no defense it's not fun. That ended up being a super disappointing game that I just found frustrating. Offense with no defense is not entertaining. And the Bills DC is a moron for even letting that happen.

I'd say it had the markings of a great game until about 2 minutes left when Buffalo scored to go up 3. At that point the expectation was that KC would probably either kick a FG to tie or a TD to win, but in the last few seconds for either. To see both teams then get TDs in less than 50 seconds per team was bizarre. And then to allow KC to get into FG range on two plays covering, what, 45 yards within 10 seconds was just ridiculous.

6 hours ago, MisterPinstripe said:

That was not an enjoyable game. I like watching offense too, but when there is just no defense it's not fun. That ended up being a super disappointing game that I just found frustrating. Offense with no defense is not entertaining. And the Bills DC is a moron for even letting that happen.

I agree, It is frustrating to see a high power offense getting ruined by a piss poor defense. Offenses win games, defenses win championships.

Shall we see a remake of Super Bowl XXIII ?

Edited by FrFan

Fantastic football game. Overtime needs to be looked at (I’ve said this before, too. Though this version is better than the total sudden death version from before so we’re getting somewhere). 

I don’t think we’re going to see a better game these next few weeks.

• Like 1

Refreshing to see a lot of you saying OT is fine.  I texted my friends in our group chat that the "fairees" would be in full blown whine mode if KC marches down and scores without Allen getting a chance to touch the ball.

Win the game in regulation.  How about the league's number one defense prevent a touchdown in overtime?  I was perfectly fine with sudden death.  

If people are so unhappy about how the rules are now then how about this for an option?  Place the ball at the own 5 or 10 yard line.  Winner of the coin toss can either take the ball pinned deep in their own territory or choose to start on defense.  First score wins.  There ya go.  No more whining.