Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread: 2021 SUPERBOWL - RAMS VS. BENGALS!!!

zCommander

4 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Even if you don't like the Raiders, you have to respect them, Bisaccia specifically, for having the guts to do that, and not take the easy way into the playoffs.

The Chargers and Raiders are rivals.  We’d never concede a playoff spot to Dallas.

And on that final drive, they got a couple big runs. They weren’t exactly aggressive.  

But they got themselves into position to win the game.

And Hello.  You play to win the game.5A67A459-F7C7-4919-B49A-A229072274CB.jpeg.8e8f79f3dc1f853c016219aa5c7dbdf0.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

The Chargers coach, as dumb as he was going for it on 4th down on his own 18, did the right thing with the time out. He didn't want the Raiders to attempt a long 4th down FG with virtually no time left. If his defense holds, he calls TO again and forces the Raiders coach to risk giving the ball up near midfield if they miss a long FG or punt with 30 seconds left on the clock. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, zskins said:

So the Raiders thought they have a better chance playing the Bangles with a win and with a tie they would have played the Chiefs. Will see if that works out in their favor. 

They potentially could end up playing them both, anyway.

The road to the Super Bowl always travels through the best teams in your Conference.

I know. Profound thought, right ?

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

4 minutes ago, Hersh said:

The Chargers coach, as dumb as he was going for it on 4th down on his own 18, did the right thing with the time out. He didn't want the Raiders to attempt a long 4th down FG with virtually no time left. If his defense holds, he calls TO again and forces the Raiders coach to risk giving the ball up near midfield if they miss a long FG or punt with 30 seconds left on the clock. 

If that's what he was doing, why didn't he call it 37 seconds earlier?

5 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

They potentially could end up playing them both, anyway.

The road to the Super Bowl always travels through the best teams in your Conference.

I know. Profound thought, right ?

Ah...Only if the Chiefs win their playoff game then yes profound indeed. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

If that's what he was doing, why didn't he call it 37 seconds earlier?

It may not have occurred to him right away. Who knows, the TO didn't change anything. Not stopping them on 3rd down changed the game. 

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

It may not have occurred to him right away. Who knows, the TO didn't change anything. Not stopping them on 3rd down changed the game. 

It didn't. SO, I'm struggling to understand how you're saying he "did the right thing thing" while simultaneously arguing that it didn't effect anything and that he wasn't smart enough to do it 37 seconds earlier, when it would have had some kind of effect not he outcome you're alluding to.

He called TO to set his defense. with 38 seconds left, the only thing that was gonna happen, Timeout or no Timeout, is the Raiders were going to hand the ball off on third down and either get close enough to kick a FG or punt it away. He didn't call it to have an impact on what the Raiders were going to do because that makes no sense on any level. 

1 minute ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

It didn't. SO, I'm struggling to understand how you're saying he "did the right thing thing" while simultaneously arguing that it didn't effect anything and that he wasn't smart enough to do it 37 seconds earlier, when it would have had some kind of effect not he outcome you're alluding to.

He called TO to set his defense. with 38 seconds left, the only thing that was gonna happen, Timeout or no Timeout, is the Raiders were going to hand the ball off on third down and either get close enough to kick a FG or punt it away. He didn't call it to have an impact on what the Raiders were going to do because that makes no sense on any level. 

I hadn't heard the coach until now but he did say he wanted the FG to be a long as possible. If the Chargers make the stop and it's 4th down, the Chargers probably use another TO right away so the Raiders punt and don't attempt a last second FG on 4th down. Would the Raiders have tried a 57 yard FG with 30 seconds left? The TO didn't impact anything cause the Raiders got a first down. The Raiders were gonna hand the ball off no matter whether there was a TO or not. 

Just now, Hersh said:

I hadn't heard the coach until now but he did say he wanted the FG to be a long as possible. If the Chargers make the stop and it's 4th down, the Chargers probably use another TO right away so the Raiders punt and don't attempt a last second FG on 4th down. Would the Raiders have tried a 57 yard FG with 30 seconds left? The TO didn't impact anything cause the Raiders got a first down. The Raiders were gonna hand the ball off no matter whether there was a TO or not. 

If that was his thought, he could have waited until after the stop on 3rd down to cal the TO. He saved less than 3 seconds calling the TO when he did. What you're saying makes no sense. 

3 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

If that was his thought, he could have waited until after the stop on 3rd down to cal the TO. He saved less than 3 seconds calling the TO when he did. What you're saying makes no sense. 

Sorry you don't get it, but it makes sense if you aren't you. Next time I'll call the coach and ask him to give me the specifics or I can speculate like every other fan. 

Edited by Hersh

9 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Sorry you don't get it, but it makes sense if you aren't you. Next time I'll call the coach and ask him to give me the specifics or I can speculate like every other fan. 

Yeah, you can't explain how it makes any sense, so it must be my fault for not being smart enough to understand the nonsensical thing you're saying. 

AptShockingAyeaye-size_restricted.gif

56 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The Chargers and Raiders are rivals.  We’d never concede a playoff spot to Dallas.

And an even larger element to this, was the fact that Bisaccia is essentially auditioning for a HC job.

And his resume would look a lot better, ending the season with a win against the LAC, than backing into the playoffs with a tie.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Yeah, you can't explain how it makes any sense, so it must be my fault for not being smart enough to understand the nonsensical thing you're saying. 

AptShockingAyeaye-size_restricted.gif

If you are the Raiders coach, do you kick a 57 yard FG on 4th down with 30 seconds left or do you punt? Simple question for you to answer 

That was a helluva game to watch as a third party fan (even here in LA it feels like the Chargers are San Diego's team). 

I agree with Rufus that the explanation for the TO usage made no sense.  Unfortunately it was like the game of wits in The Princess Bride.  

I would argue that once LV handed it off to Jacobs on 1D from the San Diego 45, the Chargers realized that Vegas was just going to run it.  So they were smart not to call a TO.  While smart enough to know not to call the TO, they were dumb not to realize run defense was the way to go.  Once Jacobs gained 7 yards to the 39, they could have called TO immediately.  But they didn't, because LV kept running the clock.  

Couldn't help but think about the Dallas - Washington ending with a FG made during an untimed down after DT21 recovered a blocked kick and was facemasked...

I honestly think Raiders run it out until LA called that FG.  The Raiders coach had a weird reaction.  Also after the game two players were talking and the raider player covered his mouth talking to the charger who reacted like “are you serious?” while sighing.  100% I think raiders were gonna run it out on 3rd down. LA’s coach is dumb. 

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

12 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

I honestly think Raiders run it out until LA called that FG.  The Raiders coach had a weird reaction.  Also after the game two players were talking and the raider player covered his mouth talking to the charger who reacted like “are you serious?” while sighing.  100% I think raiders were gonna run it out on 3rd down. LA’s coach is dumb. 

Nah.  I think they were always going to run plays to get them in position to kick a FG.  

Also, I think they changed their seeding enough not to play the Chiefs in the opening round at Arrowhead, which also might have had something to do with it.

6 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Nah.  I think they were always going to run plays to get them in position to kick a FG.  

Also, I think they changed their seeding enough not to play the Chiefs in the opening round at Arrowhead, which also might have had something to do with it.

Really? I thought I saw that if it was a tie, Vegas would’ve played the chiefs. 

26 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

They ran two lame runs in a row that they let LA blow up in the middle near the 45.  They weren’t going for the win.  Then LA called that time out and LV ran it hard to get into FG position.  It was clear LV didn’t like that time out.  There was 38 secs left and Raiders were lined up for a straight up run with one back.  Neither team was calling time outs and there was no urgency.  It was clear when he called that time out LV’s coach told Carr to go for the kill. 

LV coach even said they figured the chargers were thinking the same as them as far as having them run on third down and let the clock bleed out.  Because LV wasn’t gonna kick a crazy long FG on 4th.  He acknowledged those discussions indeed happened on the LV sideline  to just tie.  Then the time out happened. 

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

6 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I'd punt. Now explain to me what the hell that decision has to do with the Chargers saving two seconds via timeout a play earlier.

SD is playing for the tie. If you call timeout  with over a minute left, Oakland may have decided to throw the ball on 3rd down and the Chargers didn’t want that. 

It’s not complicated. Why do you think he waited to set his defense? 

3 hours ago, Hersh said:

SD is playing for the tie. If you call timeout  with over a minute left, Oakland may have decided to throw the ball on 3rd down and the Chargers didn’t want that. 

It’s not complicated. Why do you think he waited to set his defense? 

So they were prepared to stop the Raiders from gaining a bunch of yards to make for an easy FG (which they did anyway, but he was obviously trying to get his defense in better position). That's why you call TO with 3 seconds on the play clock, not to save 2 seconds of game time. 

“We needed to get in the right grouping,” Staley said. “We felt like they were going to run the ball, so we wanted to get our best 11 personnel run defense in, make that substitution so we could get a play where we would deepen the field goal.”

Now, before you ask me any more silly questions, try actually answering what I keep asking- how did the extra 2 seconds of game time before the 3rd down play make any difference? I asked that and then you told me why they didn't call the TO with over a minute left. So, actually answer what I asked. 

It was the difference between the Raiders snapping the ball on 3rd down with 38 seconds left or 36 seconds left. Assume the 3rd down run was going to take about 7 seconds. That means, the Raiders (if LA stopped them) would have had a 4th down with either 31 seconds left or 29 seconds left. How does that change what they are going to do. Don't just tell me I just don't understand or say "it's not complicated". Explain it. 

3 hours ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

They ran two lame runs in a row that they let LA blow up in the middle near the 45.  They weren’t going for the win.  Then LA called that time out and LV ran it hard to get into FG position.  It was clear LV didn’t like that time out.  There was 38 secs left and Raiders were lined up for a straight up run with one back.  Neither team was calling time outs and there was no urgency.  It was clear when he called that time out LV’s coach told Carr to go for the kill. 

LV coach even said they figured the chargers were thinking the same as them as far as having them run on third down and let the clock bleed out.  Because LV wasn’t gonna kick a crazy long FG on 4th.  He acknowledged those discussions indeed happened on the LV sideline  to just tie.  Then the time out happened. 

But didn't that TO come with like 3 seconds left on the play clock?  It wasn't to stop the clock, I think it was to set their defense, which wasn't in alignment.  I'd have to go back to look, but I in the moment, I thought the vast majority of the play clock had already run off, then they called the TO, which effectively was meaningless in terms of the the game.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

But didn't that TO come with like 3 seconds left on the play clock?  It wasn't to stop the clock, I think it was to set their defense, which wasn't in alignment.  I'd have to go back to look, but I in the moment, I thought the vast majority of the play clock had already run off, then they called the TO, which effectively was meaningless in terms of the the game.  

The raiders lined up with 38 secs with 3 ish on the play clock.  If they run up the middle which they were set to do with the running back next to him in the shot gun they would not even get back to the line and they would let the clock run as it would be 60 yard FG.  As I said the LV took the fact that LA wasn’t using timeouts as they were good with a tie.  If you look after the game a Raider covers his mouth as he tells a Charger who visibly reacts like someone just broke bad news to him.